Larry Hughes to be LeBrons "Pippen"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 20, 2004
Larry Hughes has come to terms with the Cleveland Cavaliers on a five-year deal, his agent, Jeff Wechsler, told ESPN Insider Chad Ford.

"Larry intends to sign a contract with the Cavs when the moritorium ends," Wechsler said.

Wechsler wouldn't comment on the actual numbers of the deal, but it's believed to be a five-year deal between $65 million and $70 million.

Wechsler told Insider that he informed Washington Wizards GM Ernie Grunfeld on Thursday that Hughes is going in a different direction.

Grunfeld told ESPN.com that he was prohibited from commenting on the situation, citing league rules that prevent teams from commenting on free agency until the moritorium passes.

For the Cavs, Hughes gives them a great scorer and defender to put at the two alongside LeBron James. He isn't a great shooter (something the Cavs desperately need), but he's a fantastic ball handler and rebounder making him -- like LeBron -- a very versatile piece in the puzzle.

With Hughes on board, the Cavs will now focus their atttention on bringing back free agent Zydrunas Ilgauskas. They're also in hot pursuit of Lithuanian point guard Sarunas Jasikevicius, widely regarded as the best international player not playing in the NBA.

The news comes as major blow to the Wizards, who were confident they could re-sign Hughes. The Wizards eventually offered up to six years, $70 million.

The Wizards now have to start over from scratch. The team now has a big hole at the two to fill and must also deal with the likely departure of Kwame Brown. The Wizards can get about $9 million below the cap if they don't re-sign Brown. However, the market for two guards is getting thin.

The last major two guard on the market is Joe Johnson. However, Johnson is a restricted free agent and most teams believe that the Suns will match any offer. There's also talk from multiple league sources that Johnson is in serious negotiations with the Atlanta Hawks about signing a max offer sheet.

That leaves Bobby Simmons, Cuttino Mobley and Latrell Sprewell as the top two guards left on the board. The Wizards could also, at this point, try to work out a sign-and-trade with Brown that brings them back a top-flight shooting guard.

Larry Hughes

2004-2005 SEASON STATISTICS

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
61 22.0 6.3 4.7 .430 .777

T.C

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
thats a good pick up for the Cavs. Hughes defends the passing lanes very well and can he score.

Aug 20, 2004
he was 2nd in the league for steals last year wasnt he?And i know LeBron was in the top 5...they are gonna get a SHITLOAD of fast break oppurtunities...itll be fun to watch thats for sure...

Apr 20, 2003
Yup the Cavs needed some more D and the picked it up by getting Hughes who led the league with just under 3 steals a game... Hughes also gonna help Lebron since he can create for himself and has a all around game averaging 22 points, 6 rebounds, and 4 assists last season with the Wiz! I wonder how The Wizards are gonna fill Hughes' spot?? We'll have to see.....

May 10, 2002
damn that sucks for the Wizards, they had there little trio of old Warriors, i wish Arenas came back to the Warriors that would be great but Cavs can definitely be a contender if Hughes can fit in with the offense, he definitely was garbage with the Warriors.

Apr 1, 2002
^^^
Baron Davis > Gilbert Arenas

NBA free agents update:

Michael Redd is staying w/the Bucks for $90mil/6 yr. deal = $15mil/yr.
Bobby Simmons is going to the Bucks for $47/5 yr. deal = 9.+Mil/yr.
Ray Allen staying w/Sonics for $85 Mil/5 yr. deal = $17mil/yr. (was born in Merced/The Valley, CA.)

Aug 20, 2004
Psycho Logic said:
why hughes gotta be pippen?

why aint lebron hughes's pippen?
Uhhh...is this a sarcastic question?Or are you serious?

Lets see..maybe cus LeBron has been compared to MICHAEL JORDAN!!!

ANd since when is Larry Hughes on Jordans level...or even LEBRONS level???Cmon guy...put 2 and 2 together....

T.C

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
Gringo Starr said:
Uhhh...is this a sarcastic question?Or are you serious?

Lets see..maybe cus LeBron has been compared to MICHAEL JORDAN!!!

ANd since when is Larry Hughes on Jordans level...or even LEBRONS level???Cmon guy...put 2 and 2 together....
he wasnt trying to say Hughes is on Jordans level he was trying compare the four players based on position. Pippen/Lebron=Forwards Jordan/Hughes=Guards...

Lebron reminds me of Magic more than he does Jordan. He's like Magic with ups.

Kobe and Jordan...that goes without argument though

Aug 20, 2004
I was simply usin them as they would be complimentin players to eachother...i coulda said his Drexler or his Magic...i decided on Jordan/Pippen...since LeBron is always looked upon as "the next Jordan"...and lets be honest...LeBron TECHNICALLY is a 2G...they just happen to like him at the point...

Dec 2, 2004
hughes is great but fuck that. big z is back and just signed a 5 year contract. Yes!!! we need that big man. hughes will help us but with big z healthy = all star center baby.