INFO ON DIGITAL PIRATING IMPORTANT. READ...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

B-12

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.a-wax.com
FYI fellas, I found this article and it's quite interesting and it definitely opens your eyes to some stuff...

LOS ANGELES--Video may have killed the radio star, but Forrester Research on Tuesday said Internet piracy was not to blame--as record labels have claimed--for the 15 percent drop in music sales in the past two years.
"There is no denying that times are tough for the music business, but not because of downloading," said Josh Bernoff, principal analyst at Cambridge, Massachusetts-based research firm Forrester Research, who released a report on the digital music market.
Based on surveys of 1,000 U.S. online consumers, Forrester said it sees no evidence of decreased CD buying among frequent digital music consumers and said the record labels could restore industry growth by making it easier for people to find, copy, and pay for music on their own terms. Forrester predicts that by 2007, digital music revenues in the United States will reach more than $2 billion, or 17 percent of the music business, from about $3 million in 2001.
Forrester pointed to the economy and competition from other media for the music market's downturn, rather than the emergence of free song-swap services like now-idled Napster and several similar sites in its wake, which the recording industry has claimed in several copyright lawsuits have hurt sales.
"Plenty of other causes are viable, including the economic recession and competition from surging video game and DVD sales," Bernoff said.
The big five record labels, including Bertelsmann AG's BMG, EMI Group, AOL Time Warner, Vivendi Universal and Sony, and several independent companies in the past year have launched several online music subscription services, called Pressplay, MusicNet, FullAudio and Rhapsody.
While makers of these services continue to improve their offerings to lure users, they are far from the point of mass appeal enjoyed by the unauthorized services.
Forrester said the labels will learn to fulfill Internet consumer demands in the next few years, predicting that by 2005, labels will endorse a standard download contract that supports burning and a greater range of devices.
Downloading will start to soar in 2005 as finding content becomes effortless and impulse purchases easy. Labels will make content available on equal terms to all distributors, while online retailers will become hubs for downloading, Forrester said.

MR. CLEEN

CEO/Producer of E&K Music Group
Apr 25, 2002
That's Crazy...

I read that article in the business section of the newspaper yesterday. It may not have made the drop off of the entire 15%, but it helped. Until they get that together with these distributors, it will continue to take money from labels and artist... IMO

Apr 25, 2002
true that Mac..

and to those saying Bootlegging was always around...yeah but in major metropolitan areas...
Lil Timmy from Idaho did not have access to a bootlegger UNTILL NOW... THE INTERNET

i really see no way around it...the only thing you can do is stop the street bootlegging...
but i don't see how you can stop some cat from throwin it on the net and making it available to everyone for free

May 6, 2002
YOUNGMOE said:
Lil Timmy from Idaho did not have access to a bootlegger UNTILL NOW... THE INTERNET

i
and lil timmy wouldn't have had access to hear the tight shit that we in cali are blessed with. now tell me, i know you artists think its taking money out of your pocket but look at it from a different prospective real quik, i'll use lil timmy....

lil timmy chillin in idaho wit chickens and a farm listen to hank gathers and george straight everyday. one day he on kazaa and somebody mislabels brother lynche's track "Siccmade" with George Straight-Run. Timmy dl's what he thought was george straight and lynch starts playin through his computer speaks. and he says "well dog-dammit this is the best darn thing i ever heard." now, before hearing this mp3 of lynch, do you think that if he took a trip to cali for a rodeo fair, and walked into a music store, that he would buy Brotha Lynch off the shelves? no. if he did pick it up on the back its sayin "Baby killa" and shit like that he'd be like wtf. but now since he heard the track and he see's it around, maybe he did dl the siccmade album...but maybe just maybe he'll see Loaded next to it and say "hey, i heard this guy before, this is some rootin tootin good music." and might purchase the album if he gotta few extra bucks. hell, he might like it so much he'll find out about the siccness and join the fam.

i'm not saying that people dont dl albums and never buy them. because they do. but dl'ing helps reach new audiences. becuase to tell you the truth if it wasnt for dl'ing i would have nelly in my car cd player instead of gangsta reese. u think its all stealing but come on, do you really think that every song that was dl'd would have been boughten? give me a break. there is no way in hell i woulda bought 95% of what i dl'd. only when an artist gains my trust will i start purchasing his albums.

now siccmade gots a new fan, lil timmy.

Apr 25, 2002
nah i agree...kinda
i dl songs to hear new artists...
and when i like em...i go out and buy the album RIGHT AWAY

i never bought an A-Wax album till my potna gave me a burnt copy...then i dug the fuck out of it and went and bought one

i'm just sayin...you can't beat the net-bootlegging so we got to find a way to make it viable(cashwise)

May 6, 2002
YOUNGMOE said:
nah i agree...kinda
i dl songs to hear new artists...
and when i like em...i go out and buy the album RIGHT AWAY

i never bought an A-Wax album till my potna gave me a burnt copy...then i dug the fuck out of it and went and bought one

i'm just sayin...you can't beat the net-bootlegging so we got to find a way to make it viable(cashwise)
word, i feel that right there.

i dont always buy it right away tho cuz i aint got no job and the money i got needs to be spent on pizza and coffee cuz i'm in college. but i do buy it when i have the time and extra dough. i hit up artists on this board and try to get a good price on a cd, if i can i like to get them signed cuz i'm a big time collector. same thing with me about wax, it kinda disappointed me that he flew off so bad about people downloading his shit, kinda lost respect for him in a sense. actin like it doesnt happen to every other artists out there....

yall would trip, fuckin trailor trash hippy music gets bootlegged. EVERYTHING gets bootlegged. i'll say it again, EVERYTHING. yall would tripp big time if you knew....booty ass shit gettin bootlegged, classical music, spanish music, latin booty music, everything. there people out there that bootlegg it ALL.