India to make Bollywood Hitler movie

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
India to make Bollywood Hitler movie

INDIA'S Bollywood film industry, famous for its lip-synched singing, exuberant dancing and wet sari scenes, is set to stray into unfamiliar dark territory with a film on Adolf Hitler.

According to the director's description, the movie appears to have more than a passing resemblance to the critically acclaimed 2004 German film Downfall starring Bruno Ganz.

"The film will recapture the last days of Adolf Hitler, including his life in his Berlin bunker and Germany after his death in 1945," Rakesh Ranjan Kumar, who is directing the movie, told the Mumbai Mirror this week.

The film will focus on the German dictator's personality as well as his relationships with his lover and other close associates during the final days of the Nazi regime.

Its makers say the title - Dear Friend Hitler - alludes to two letters written to him by India's independence leader Mahatma Gandhi.

Hitler will be played by veteran Bollywood actor Anupam Kher, who once played Gandhi on television, while former Miss India Neha Dhupia portrays Eva Braun, whom Hitler married hours before they committed suicide in April 1945.

"Yes I play him. Shoot starts in August," Kher wrote on his Twitter feed while on his way back from last weekend's Indian International Film Academy awards in Sri Lanka.

He asked fans to send him suggestions for books to read on the German leader.

Anil Sharma, the biopic's producer, said it was "an analytical portrayal of the ideologies followed by Hitler".

"We will try to show his fears, insecurities and pressures he faced while taking crucial decisions," Sharma said, adding that though the movie would have some similarities to Downfall it would be an entirely original work.

Sharma said he was still uncertain whether to include any song and dance routines, but ruled out any musical-style routines by Hitler or Braun.

The film, budgeted at between $2-3 million, will be shot in studio and on location in India's forests and mountains.

No release date has been set, but the movie is intended for international release.

Bollywood often reprises the theme of a foreign film with virtually identical plots and characters, but intense material such as Oscar-nominated Downfall rarely attracts Indian producers.

In 2008 Bollywood released a film called Hari Puttar despite a lawsuit by Hollywood studio Warner Bros, which owns the rights to the blockbuster Harry Potter movies.

Confusingly, the film was loose remake of Home Alone.

Bollywood has also moved into more realistic, hard-hitting subjects such as terrorism, internet privacy and physical disability in recent years, but with limited success.

In 2006, a Nazi-themed restaurant called Hitler's Cross opened in Mumbai, but was soon closed after a storm of protest from Jews in India and abroad.
Apparently the leading actor just quit this.

May 14, 2002
I bet the whole movie is going to be like this:

lol at starting a restaurant called Hitlers Cross in Mumbai....

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
I like Bollywood movies...I aint crazy about the dancin and shit...but there is more to it then that. Most of the movies are long so the ability for character development is great.

Nov 17, 2002
www.facebook.com
I've really only seen one Bollywood movie all the way through, and it was actually pretty good. It's called "Like Stars on Earth." Then the lady who runs a nearby Indian grocery store told me about another starring one of the same actors called "3 Idiots." I couldn't get through the first 20 minutes of it. It was that bad. And the ratings for this one are really high.

Like Stars on Earth is worth checking out. It's a good family movie. I think Disney picked up video distribution rights for it here in the States.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0986264/

R

Sicc OG
Dec 7, 2005
best bollywood movie i've seen is sholay

the main villain in there is the closest thing to hitler i've seen in an indian movie

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
only one i ever seen. it was like 3 hrs but pretty good

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagaan
Lagaan (Hindi: लगान; Urdu: لگان; translation: Land Tax), also known as Lagaan: Once upon a time in India, is a 2001 Hindi feature film. The film, based on an original story by Ashutosh Gowariker, was also directed by him. It was produced by Aamir Khan, who plays the lead role, and stars Gracy Singh, Rachel Shelley and Paul Blackthorne in supporting roles.
The movie is set in the Victorian period of the British Raj and revolves around the peasants from a barren village who are oppressed by high taxes imposed by the British. When the peasants attempt to persuade the officers to reduce the taxes, the officers put forth a proposition to the peasants. One senior officer offers to cancel their taxes for three years if their village team beats him at cricket. After accepting his proposition, the villagers face the arduous task of learning the game and playing for a result that will change their village's destiny.
The film received critical acclaim and awards at various international film festivals, as well as many Indian film awards. It also became the third Hindi-language film to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film after Mother India and Salaam Bombay!. It was one of the biggest hits of 2001 while its DVD sales were the highest ever for a Bollywood movie up to 2007.[5]

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
I've really only seen one Bollywood movie all the way through, and it was actually pretty good. It's called "Like Stars on Earth." Then the lady who runs a nearby Indian grocery store told me about another starring one of the same actors called "3 Idiots." I couldn't get through the first 20 minutes of it. It was that bad. And the ratings for this one are really high.

Like Stars on Earth is worth checking out. It's a good family movie. I think Disney picked up video distribution rights for it here in the States.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0986264/
Ive seen both and liked them both...I think the thing with most bollywood movies you have to have a little patience and let the stories develop..I would not dare recomend one to some of my friends because they have such short attention spans...but with patience often comes the reward. They dont rely on special effects to carry a movie.

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
only one i ever seen. it was like 3 hrs but pretty good

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagaan
Lagaan (Hindi: लगान; Urdu: لگان; translation: Land Tax), also known as Lagaan: Once upon a time in India, is a 2001 Hindi feature film. The film, based on an original story by Ashutosh Gowariker, was also directed by him. It was produced by Aamir Khan, who plays the lead role, and stars Gracy Singh, Rachel Shelley and Paul Blackthorne in supporting roles.
The movie is set in the Victorian period of the British Raj and revolves around the peasants from a barren village who are oppressed by high taxes imposed by the British. When the peasants attempt to persuade the officers to reduce the taxes, the officers put forth a proposition to the peasants. One senior officer offers to cancel their taxes for three years if their village team beats him at cricket. After accepting his proposition, the villagers face the arduous task of learning the game and playing for a result that will change their village's destiny.
The film received critical acclaim and awards at various international film festivals, as well as many Indian film awards. It also became the third Hindi-language film to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film after Mother India and Salaam Bombay!. It was one of the biggest hits of 2001 while its DVD sales were the highest ever for a Bollywood movie up to 2007.[5]
This was a pretty good film as well.

Nov 17, 2002
www.facebook.com
Ive seen both and liked them both...I think the thing with most bollywood movies you have to have a little patience and let the stories develop..I would not dare recomend one to some of my friends because they have such short attention spans...but with patience often comes the reward. They dont rely on special effects to carry a movie.
Me not being able to get through 3 Idiots had nothing to do with attention span. I didn't get distracted. It was just really bad. I had a similar experience recently when I downloaded a fan-made movie of Megaman. It was just so horribly cheesey that I couldn't stand it.

I didn't have this problem with Taare Zameen Par.

Maybe I'll give 3 Idiots another shot.