IF YOU HAD 90K WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

LEX OR CADDY?

• LEX

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • CADDY

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters
Nov 11, 2006
Your way off, the days of the northstar are long dead, the caddys have gm small blocks that are rated as the best overall engine.

I had a 96 el dorado with a northstar, and never again. I had 3 different mechanics tell me the northstar was quite possibly the shittiest setup ever made by GM and its damn near impossible to work on. I had a timing belt go out, and they had to drop the engine just to get to the pulley to change the belt. Also went to replace the water pump, which should have been a 5 minute job, but the northstar's have a cheap ass housing for the water pump and the tabs that hold the pump in just snapped off. Come to find out, GM doesnt even manufacture that housing anymore, i had to go to every junk yard in vegas to find one.....yea fuck northstars

DuceTheTruth

No Flexxin No Fakin
Apr 1, 2003
I had a 96 el dorado with a northstar, and never again. I had 3 different mechanics tell me the northstar was quite possibly the shittiest setup ever made by GM and its damn near impossible to work on. I had a timing belt go out, and they had to drop the engine just to get to the pulley to change the belt. Also went to replace the water pump, which should have been a 5 minute job, but the northstar's have a cheap ass housing for the water pump and the tabs that hold the pump in just snapped off. Come to find out, GM doesnt even manufacture that housing anymore, i had to go to every junk yard in vegas to find one.....yea fuck northstars

I used to be all about the Northstar until learning about the premature headgasket failure in the pre 2003 engines. For such an advanced engine that was a big turn off. And still is. I'll take the 4.9L OHV anyday over an early Northstar. For anyone in the market I would stay away from a pre 2003 Northstar that hasnt been rebuilt and/or has been sitting for years. You'll be sorry, unless you plan for a rebuild in your budget.

GM's new 3.6L motor is supposed to be quite nice tho.

Nov 11, 2006
One of the mechanics who helped me work on that car knew pretty much everything there is to know about Cadillacs, and he would always say GM made the northstar to be disposable on purpose