I walked the G-20 RESISTANCE Protest in Pittsburgh & took a lot of pics...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 12, 2002
GoProGraphics.com
I live and grew up here so... yeah, I'm going to be documenting the G-20 Resistance March for the G.O.M.

September 25, 2009 (Pittsburgh)

I had the day off. Everyone seemed to have the day off. When my camera batteries were charged I drove to Oakland where the protest was organizing. Usually at this time of day the trip time is three times as long. Armored Vans followed me past the city. All entrances barricaded. Instead of gridlocked intersections, I see one dark blue government van driving in the city across the barriers. I only sit in traffic for a few minutees while 3 suv's (all American Made) a Budget Truck, Mini Van with riot gear passengers, 2 Police cars, 3 school busses and a swat type truck push past us, civilian motorists. finally I reach Oakland, ditch my car in a neighborhood and get to stepping...

I made my way to the head of the march, taking a picture of a lone protester in the middle of 5th ave...

Parting instrument playing nomads and masked rebels, I stumbled upon John Oliver shooting the Daily Show...

About 5 minutes later the protest makes its move towards downtown. I am up front taking pictures and hanging back once in a while to get some more footage....

It takes about an hour. Im wearing this t-shirt so I was also a popular subject in pictures...

The event passes thru a poor and run down eye sore of Pittsburgh. The few roadside homes are large and unique but are weathered and long past the warrant of repairs. The people here have come outside and are watching the procession. The obviously foreign photographers found the african american businesses (BBQ's, Barber Shops and Corner Markets) more interesting than the protest at this moment. Five photographers from Asia are taking about 20 pictures of three black women smoking and standing at the entrance of their residence. I just give them a wide eyed glance like WTF and we just laugh as I pass by. The police are blocking off each intersection about 5 blocks ahead. When the head of the protest reaches them, they move up. The "leader" starts to yell for the people in front to slow down so the line can tighten up. No one ahead can hear them so I was the one to run up and relay the information. now we are crossing into downtown...

Once we hit downtown, the "parade" stops. Lots of spectators. I hear some saying to a guy "Why do you cover your face?" I tell him that some of these guys don't want to be identified. I also get the ide to start telling people to start walking with us. I also imply it would be good exercise to just walk with us. This Vet dressed as a clown with a megaphone is telling cops he knows they are naked under their riot gear. This is where I got the coolest police pics...

The clown and I manage to get one person to jump the yellow tape and walk with us. It was also Friday so almost every spectator had a Steelers shirt on lol. I am still among the first groups so I get to see the State Troopers before they move into postitions...

I hang out for a bit and get some more neat pictures....

Doubling back to the guest speakers I notice the Anarchists have made their stand. They file infront of the police. They are the only group to actually turn and face police officers, almost as if it was an invitation of confrontation...

Not one persone was arrested during this march. By the time I had to head back I was all out of film and starving. It took 45 minutes to get back to my car. Traffic in Oakland was back to normal. No litter. The only people assemled are just waiting for their bus. If you lived under a rock and just woke up you might have totally missed any trace that a large resistance formed here today to fight the G20 and a New World Order. Life would appear normal except for one curious intimation...

...I have many pics. I obvously do not get online here so much, but if you would like more of these pictures - PM me with your email. Everyone who gets to PM me before my inbox fills up will get them (most likely "zipped" ). Pardon the mispellings and Thanks for looking and/or reading!

Sep 17, 2007
I like how the Swat Teams are geared up and ready for war with hand holding backpackers, colored chalk and posters.