I need INPUT! Are Northwest artist trying to appeal nationaly or locally?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 23, 2007
From what I hear in the town we have a lot of artist in the northwest that are local talent which is good for YOUR fan base. Where are the artist that are trying to take the Northwest movement across that nation or even world-wide? I like the thread that Twin started on the specific sound in the NW cause that is the question since mix-a-lot, but are we staying NW or going to try to appeal to what is going on in the industry, indie or otherwise? Does the Northwest have enough support to actually have a Northwest movement nationally?

Apr 7, 2004
I believe the support is out there The truth is the people that buy most cds and buy mp3's today don't give a fuck where your from as long as the music sounds good. And those people or white and the rest are females. And the northwest has a lot of both so the support is out there if artist wont it.

Jul 3, 2009
Tacoma, WA
www.youtube.com
Right now, our group is appealing just to our local Tacoma hip hop fans, if we had the larger budget it would be a different story. (EX: NY artists don't even have to sell out of the New York to be {profitable on their return} successful!)

May 4, 2005
specific sound in the NW cause that is the question since mix-a-lot, but are we staying NW or going to try to appeal to what is going on in the industry, indie or otherwise? Does the Northwest have enough support to actually have a Northwest movement nationally?
Our sound is always going to be westcoast/mobb/gfunk/ or that dark mobb shit a few ppl be doing.

and No the northwest does not have enough support to have a movement nationally.

i look at it by population

Washington: 6.5 Mill
Oregon: 3.8 Mill
Idaho: 1.5 Mill

so thats almost 12 million ppl in the northwest...

and as i remember it unexpected arrival claimed 10K sold.
cool nutz myspace page says theyve done 70K with 6 releases but other pages say a lil more than 30K

they say 151s first album did 10K
and im sure street level has moved some big units.

so with 12 million ppl and it being hard to move even 1-2K in the northwest... id say either the northwest dont support nw artists for shit... or the artists aint out here pushin... or they dont have the budget.

May 4, 2005
How do we change that?
We probably cant. Unless someone gets lucky...and ima say that becuz of our region and becuz the industry has been in a downward spiral.

everythings gone digital... and everything is easily accessible.

so i believe as far as the indy game goes... youre only selling if you have a track record, everything is quality (mix,master,artwork,production,presentation,budget etc) and you are respected and you got a gang of hustle and ambition.

aint gonna be no national takeover.. look at the bay.. they had some feet in the door... wat? 3 years ago... aint shit happen.

BAANG BAANG MUDASUCKAH! I WILL GO POSTALL UP IN DIS BEEACH!

Aug 4, 2002
www.soundclick.com
i wanna tour the westcoast and rock shows like andre nickatina.. thats my shit

i wanna be local and so do the 5 people that record with me, plus hella other cats that i work with online, very little of our thoughts are on radio style music..

ive recently been workin with some new cats, that do some more radio friendly hip hop, but most of these cats are from other states

Apr 7, 2004
I guess you can say me and my team make industry music. But we haven't put the album out yet. Just finished it actually bout to do the mixing and photo shoot. So will we see what's up in a few

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
so with 12 million ppl and it being hard to move even 1-2K in the northwest... id say either the northwest dont support nw artists for shit... or the artists aint out here pushin... or they dont have the budget.
a lot of em don't push their shit. some do, but this summer and in the last 5 months i've been rollin throughout the town a lot (seattle)...filming videos and dvd shit for like 2-3 months every day after i got off work, and every weekend all day....i didn't see a single person promoting shit. i would have thought someone, at least one person woulda been otu there...but nope.

what people need to do...is go to SPORTS GAMES (pro and high school) and promote and sell cd's there.....40K+ people at a baseball game and you can't sell 20 cd's...then you are wack sauce and need a day job.

and part of it is, people don't know WHEN the albums are coming out.....cause there's really not a lot of heavy advertising, barely any on the radio if any at all, and myspace is really the only other option.....

people just need to get along, and do shows to promote the region and themselves, not just themselves....being selfish is good, but you have to have balance...and the NW music scene as far as rap/hip hop go is lacking that....cause it's like HIGH SCHOOL with people forming cliques adn then hatin on other people and talking shit. it is what it is....and it doesn't effect my life greatly so i ain't trippin...but it'd be nice to see people with talent make something of it adn get a good break.

Apr 7, 2004
a lot of em don't push their shit. some do, but this summer and in the last 5 months i've been rollin throughout the town a lot (seattle)...filming videos and dvd shit for like 2-3 months every day after i got off work, and every weekend all day....i didn't see a single person promoting shit. i would have thought someone, at least one person woulda been otu there...but nope.

what people need to do...is go to SPORTS GAMES (pro and high school) and promote and sell cd's there.....40K+ people at a baseball game and you can't sell 20 cd's...then you are wack sauce and need a day job.

and part of it is, people don't know WHEN the albums are coming out.....cause there's really not a lot of heavy advertising, barely any on the radio if any at all, and myspace is really the only other option.....

people just need to get along, and do shows to promote the region and themselves, not just themselves....being selfish is good, but you have to have balance...and the NW music scene as far as rap/hip hop go is lacking that....cause it's like HIGH SCHOOL with people forming cliques adn then hatin on other people and talking shit. it is what it is....and it doesn't effect my life greatly so i ain't trippin...but it'd be nice to see people with talent make something of it adn get a good break.
Well put.