How do you know your mixes are ready to be mastered?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 3, 2002
www.aod-org.com
Side Note : If you recorded the album with ok equipment ( decent mic's and pre's but not top notch stuff ) then it dont matter if you take it to the best mastering house cause MASTERING wont make it sound proffessional. It helps yes, but what goes in first ( top notch mic's and pre's and converters ) matter 10 times more than mastering.

If you start with shit you end with shit. If you start with a ruff diamond, then by the time its mastered that diamond will be cut to shape ( well there's more into than that, but you know what I mean )

Apr 26, 2002
get all your mixes soundin' the beat that you can before you master. The beats and vocals should all be at a consitent level

Aug 12, 2002
You want your mix to sound great before mastering. If you notice anything that sounds off, don't hesitate to mix it again to fix it. Please don't make the mistake of letting too much bass in there. Not everyone will be listening on decent or even acceptible speakers so the bass could potentially distort everything. Also, do not compress the whole mix before mastering...

-=bumpus=-

Apr 25, 2002
Damn thanks for the all the suggestions.. more advice would be appreciated if yall got more to add. I'm trying to learn and fuck around with mastering my own mixes for practice or whatnot. When I feel I'm ready for a real release I will definitely get it professionally done.