Harmful Effects of Artificial Sweeteners

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 2, 2004
Aspartame, the artificial chemical used as a sugar substitute (Equal, Nutrasweet etc) is MUCH more harmful to your health than actual sugar. The FDA has come up short yet again while letting corporations slide and sacrificing our health. The FDA allows major corporations (i.e. Coca-Cola Company) to label products as "diet" once the artificial chemical (aspartame) has been added.

Not only is there much controversy as to whether the chemical has any benefits in regard to weight loss but the FDA failed to thoroughly review experimental test data which suggested a relationship between aspartame and cancer in lab rats.

Aspartame was first synthesized in 1965 by chemist James M. Schlatter as a possible anti-ulcer drug. However for 15 years the FDA refused to approve the chemical because studies and tests indicated that aspartame may cause cancer in lab rats. That all changed in 1981 when Reagan took office and appointed Arthur Hull Hayes as FDA commisioner. Immediately after, Donald Rumsfeld who was then CEO of G.D. Searle (the company that owned the patent on Aspartame) reapplied the chemical for FDA approval, and in a seemingly private-interest agreement it was approved.

Before and since the FDA approved Aspartame in 1981 various studies have shown that long term effects on lab rats and other test animals given aspartame include; development of tumors, lymphona, deterioration of skin tissue, and loss of vision.

In 1980 the FDA even intervened a Public Board of Inquiry (PBOI) which was investigating the relationship between aspartame and brain cancer in lab rats. The FDA also chose to ignore "The Bressler Report" in the approval process, an FDA report collection of all raw and summary experimental data on the subject which cited many unanswered questions pertaining to cancer development in test animals.

“In any such study of even a few hundred test animals, it takes no more than a dozen or so of them to exhibit a particular lesion… to associate with the test agent, i.e., aspartame or its related chemicals.” - Dr. Adrian Gross, FDA toxicologist in a letter to Senator Howard Metzenbaum, Oct. 30, 1986.

A few sites concerning Aspartame and harmful effects...

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00000426.htm - Center for Disease Control's (CDC's) "Evaluation of Consumer Complaints Related to Aspartame Use"
http://dorway.com/dorwblog/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy
http://www.myaspartameexperiment.com/
http://www.dorway.com/bressler.txt - Full 76 pg text of The Bressler Report

Dec 2, 2004
The pictures of the lab rats given aspartame over a 2 year period in a private controlled experiment are SO fucking disgusting...

(These are from the experimental group of 30 male and 30 female rats that were given aspartame)

Tumors..

The rats (in the group whom were given aspartame) also developed eye infections and protruding eyes...

skin lesions...

deterioration of skin tissue was also an effect of the aspartame group of rats...

(http://www.myaspartameexperiment.com/)

Dec 2, 2004
Not to mention Splenda (sucralose), which has no third party long term studies done on it.
I was originally going to add posts about sucralose and high fructose corn syrup but after just summarizing aspartame i realized it would take too long and I have homework and other stuff to do so maybe later.

BTW another huge problem in the U.S. is high fructose corn syrup (another harmful additive) which is frequently used in products as a sweetener. A big reason why U.S. companies use high fructose corn syrup is because it's cheaper than sugar. Why is it cheaper to add high fructose corn syrup to products rather than sugar? Because the U.S. has an embargo on Cuba (major sugarcane exporter) making the price of sugar much higher in the U.S. than in any other developed country.

Mar 4, 2007
yeah, i thought my cousin was just some weirdo wannabe hippie when she'd check all the cans at the store to see if there was high fructose corn syrup added to the juices or teas or whatever she wanted to buy, and she wouldn't get shit that had it in it..
and i was lik e"whatever...'
but now, i know the affects of it, and i get made fun of my by sisters for it, but fuck it, im stickin with natural shit from now on... lol.
....my dad loves crystal light, and i used to drink it which has aspartame in it, and i told him, and he tells me "everything causes cancer in rats", but i've had pet rats for um, 8 years now, and only 1 or 2 had tumors, one had pretty bad tumors, but i think it was incest and was old, and the other one was just i dunno..but i've NEVER seen anything like this..

poor lil rats..

May 15, 2002
And people STILL act like Im talking crazy when I tell them that the fattening of and sickening of Americans isnt being done on purpose. Even with information like this being exposed daily. The FDA approves of this poison and are fully aware of it simply because it causes sickness, which brings more money to the health industry for your treatment. Its all about the money. My opinion isnt up for debate because its truth.

May 20, 2004
www.rapbay.com
I heard about this not too long ago too theres a good film that someone put out called "sweet misery" about this shit... i stopped eatin all that shit after I heard about it though, aspartame and sucralose are in everything, i cutout everything sugar free, even protein shakes and shit i'd been using for years, trying to stick to the natural shit... theres gonna be a massive cancer epidemic in this country in a few decades, shits wild

Sep 28, 2002
BTW another huge problem in the U.S. is high fructose corn syrup (another harmful additive) which is frequently used in products as a sweetener. A big reason why U.S. companies use high fructose corn syrup is because it's cheaper than sugar. Why is it cheaper to add high fructose corn syrup to products rather than sugar? Because the U.S. has an embargo on Cuba (major sugarcane exporter) making the price of sugar much higher in the U.S. than in any other developed country.
Your right. Do you know what high fructose corn syrup does to your physiology? Its an energy well. I can explain if you want but it should be avoided.

Sep 28, 2002
Yes please explain and elaborate, much appreciated.
Your body degrades carbs into glucose ( a simple sugar)....

In your liver 1 glucose molecule is converted into around 36 to 38 molecules of ATP......

ATP is a molecule with high energy phosphate bonds that your body uses as its primary energy source......

The initial stage of glucose degredation (glycolysis) is regulated by many enzymes but the enzyme that is the slowest is known as the rate limiting enzyme....

Because the whole process can't move any faster than its slowest step.....

In glucose degredation (glycolysis) the rate limiting enzyme is phosphofructokinase 1 (PFK1).....

This enzyme actually uses up one molecule of ATP every time it catalyzes an reaction....

by the time a glucose molecule reaches PFK 1 it has been transformed into a molecule called fructose 6 phosphate (F6P)...............

The High fuctose corn syrup that's in almost everything thats bad for you is ingested in large amounts and has a relatively high concentration in your blood stream when it reaches your liver...

It has to be phosphorylated by another enzyme (which is much faster than PFK1) in order to become fructose 6 phosphate (F6P)so it can be brought into the glucose degredation (glycolysis) process.................

This other enzyme uses up one ATP..........

As a consequence of the high concentration of fructose in HIGH FRUCTOSE corn syrup after a shitty snack/soda pop there ends up being a shit load of F6P being made from exogenous fructose (and also a shit load of ATP being used up).......

IT (F6P) all builds up at the phosphofructokinase 1 (PFK1) step of the process and takes forever (in enzymatic terms) to make its way into its final form (which is about 37 ATP).....

But in the mean time your body is depleated of ATP and so you actually temporarily lose energy from a pop it can take quite a while to get your levels back.......

so my advise is if you work out drink water....................

DID THAT MAKE ANY SENCE TO YA?

Dec 2, 2004
Your body degrades carbs into glucose ( a simple sugar)....

In your liver 1 glucose molecule is converted into around 36 to 38 molecules of ATP......

ATP is a molecule with high energy phosphate bonds that your body uses as its primary energy source......

The initial stage of glucose degredation (glycolysis) is regulated by many enzymes but the enzyme that is the slowest is known as the rate limiting enzyme....

Because the whole process can't move any faster than its slowest step.....

In glucose degredation (glycolysis) the rate limiting enzyme is phosphofructokinase 1 (PFK1).....

This enzyme actually uses up one molecule of ATP every time it catalyzes an reaction....

by the time a glucose molecule reaches PFK 1 it has been transformed into a molecule called fructose 6 phosphate (F6P)...............

The High fuctose corn syrup that's in almost everything thats bad for you is ingested in large amounts and has a relatively high concentration in your blood stream when it reaches your liver...

It has to be phosphorylated by another enzyme (which is much faster than PFK1) in order to become fructose 6 phosphate (F6P)so it can be brought into the glucose degredation (glycolysis) process.................

This other enzyme uses up one ATP..........

As a consequence of the high concentration of fructose in HIGH FRUCTOSE corn syrup after a shitty snack/soda pop there ends up being a shit load of F6P being made from exogenous fructose (and also a shit load of ATP being used up).......

IT (F6P) all builds up at the phosphofructokinase 1 (PFK1) step of the process and takes forever (in enzymatic terms) to make its way into its final form (which is about 37 ATP).....

But in the mean time your body is depleated of ATP and so you actually temporarily lose energy from a pop it can take quite a while to get your levels back.......

so my advise is if you work out drink water....................

DID THAT MAKE ANY SENCE TO YA?
thanks

I understand, so rather than making ATPs (like regular glucose) high fructose corn syrup actually builds up tons of F6Ps (while depleting all your ATPs) because it's so hard for your body to break it down right?