getting started

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 9, 2006
What up NW, i pretty new up here in the tac. not gonna front the army got me up here. But i like Tacoma personally more than seattle but thats neither here or there. Been up here for almost 2 years now and i spit a little here and there. Im from the east but i listen to all rap. im pretty much open minded when it comes to music. But i was wondering how did alot of you guys get started in the hip hop or rap game, whatever heads call it now. By spittin on your computers and such. Im really not a battle rapper, i can freestyle but not to good at battles and stuff like that.
Im not trying to blow up or anything but i would like to spit a couple of bars and such.
What programs are you guys using on your computers? If you are not acutally going to a studio and such.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
I got started on a 2 track cd player and a beat tape back in 1997.

Those were the days. We used to just hang this cheap ass mic from the ceiling and record tracks.

If your going to be recording from a computer at home maybe do a search in the "Studio" section of the forum.

For good vocals all you need is an E-MU soundcard and a good quality microphone and preamp. From there you will also need some headphones, I recommend Sony MDR-7506's. If you are going to be mixing your going to want some monitors preferably. You will need a mixer for that.

But start low and work your way up. The bare essential for just home recording would be a good soundcard, microphone and preamp or mixer.

Software I recommend if your just getting started to get down to the nitty gritty try Cubase. Adobe Audition is also good for beginning.

Search around, read articles.

http://www.homerecording.com

Check it out. Good luck.

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
I got started writing years before I stepped in the studio. And I don't mean once-a-week writing, I was doing a hundred plus verses a year. By the time i finally found myself in a [home] studio with someone that knew what they were doing, I was putting in time and effort whenever I could.

If you can sit down and write an on-the-spot 16 bars in under 30 minutes, and be capable of standing up right then and there and getting it all out (on beat with no punch-ins), then its almost guaranteed that there's a label around here that would work with you, for cheap or free. Not having stage fright is also a big plus.

Apr 14, 2003
I got started back when I was 12 years old in 6th grade. I'm 19 now. We started just recordin our raps over instrumentals off cd singles, onto a tape recorder.

I think I write my best shit on the spot in the studio man.. real shit.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
I normally just load up my production on an mp3 player and then jot rhymes down whenever.

I don't have time to waste in the studio. I go into the studio to lace my verse and get out. I hate slow, unprofessional, choppy fucking rappers who take their sweet ass time and still sound bunk as fuck.

Work hard. Freestyle everyday. Write everyday.

"It doesn't matter if your white or if your black, if your dope your dope, if your wack your wack" - Class

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
I would bet money that some of my verses from 2-3 years ago would still trash many rappers latest creations. I don't mean that on a Bragging type of thing either--I'm being completely serious.

Just like when you're in the gym, and wanting big legs, you don't just run to the Leg machines and go crazy; you already know its better to do Squats or Dead Lifts and so on......this is the same way you need to approach your rapping. Rapping or Writing in bulk is not going to make you STRONGER, it will simply put you in a better rhyming fitness.

Along those strong lines.....Don't necessarily READ the dictionary, but it would be better for you to read more newspapers and watch C-Span and things like these, and any time you see a word you don't know, find out EXACTLY what it means. It would also be good to watch Cartoons and Sitcoms and things like these, and take out the words and phrases like "Bump on a log", "Moonshine", "fly in the ointment", etc., and do everything possible with them.

Rap these days is no longer about, rhyming about pain and struggling, and all this other simple ass shit. It is about connecting with the people through pop culture, idioms, popular phrases, movie quotes and so on. If you can't do that, I give a fuck what kind of life you've lead...you're fucked. And if you HAVEN'T led a crazy life.....you're even more fucked.

Apr 9, 2006
i feel you on that note dirty shoes. Im trying to find people to get down with that is really trying to flow. I want to run with some cat that is really wack, but think he is nice(not think he is good, but think he is nice, tight, dope, whatever) and cant take any advice.

Jun 9, 2005
www.kevwestbeats.com
U can build a decent home studio for around $1000 tops. Since Im assuming ur gonna be recording on ur computer heres what I like for recording

M Audio Firewire 410 soundcard (runs via firewire works with pro tools mpowered as well as any other app on the market, hooks up via firewire has mic pres and headphone amps onboard) $299
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-MII-FW410--s-firewire-410.html

A good set of monitors this is very important to most they are just speakers but u want something accurate and not colored to give u a true sound vs other speakers that are made to enhance sound. Id spend at least $300 on a pair and that pair would be the Behringer Truths (get the warranty if u get these Behringer is known for makin shitty gear this is one of the few things that they got right but in their defense its usually cheap and typically the bottom of low end but the Truths are dope)
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-BEH-B2031A--s-truth.html

As for the mic. A mic is important for obvious reasons but also its good to have one that fits the sound of ur voice. Since I dont know ur voice Im going to pick a mic that is somewhere in the middle (assuming ur male) and say go wtih the Audio Technica 3035 mic. $200 Its an alright mic and its good for most male voices Ive never tried it on a female voice tho.
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-AUD-AT3035--s-at-3035.html

Spend the rest of the money on quality cables, software and upgrading ur pc. A few good programs to look out for

Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio $99
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-CAK-SONARHS4--s-sonar-.html

Sony Acid Pro Both versions 5 and version 6 will work 6 just came out so it costs more but u may be able to get a deal on 5 because it is old and retailers are lookin to get rid of it
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=703493
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Recording/Computer/Software?sku=700973

Adobe Audition/ Cool Edit ( I dont know the price of this kuz its too easy to download u can probabaly google it to find it for free)

Theres more out there but for just starting out I think these are the best ways to go. U dont need full versions of any program on the market the cheaper slimmed down versions usually support external plug ins and have more than enough tracks for recording just vocals so save ur money and dont spend more than $300 on a recording program. Enjoy