Features? Yes? No? Maybe so?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 6, 2002
mp3.com
Curious to see what people think of the idea of a NW artist having big name features on his album...

"EXAMPLE: Livio had d12 on a cut..."

What yall think of people having features?

Good move to get dredibility?

Or just a cheap way to make a name?

holla

Mar 13, 2003
www.billythefridge.com
Hmmm...

Just don't get Jadakiss.

Sike, I think it's a tight idea. Just to get a feel for workin' with hot talent. What if yer signed and they ask you to do some shits with Jay-Z or Paul McCartney? Yer gonna have to be preparred to be out hyped on a track... and win it over with the verse.

Apr 25, 2002
it all depends, i would never buy an album for its features...

if your makin moves to get your name out ther and you got some big names up on it, fasho ill pick that up, but if your album was on tha shelf and i hadnt heard of you, na...features dont make you tight...

if your blowin up, get your area featured on your album, if you aint gonna hold it down for you town/city then whatever...people kno good music wen they hear it, you dont need a name to make it big...your hustle can do that for you

May 2, 2002
www.streetlevelrecords.com
I feel like this....If you decide to go with features. Your 1st album should feature people who are making moves from your area. Your second album should feature people who are making moves from your region. Then on your third album maybe try and get a major(s) on there. I feel like if you got a bunch of major artists on your first album but you don't have a name in the streets consumers aren't gonna take you serious. I'm sure there are many other theories on the subject but this is my 2 cents....

mo-x

Sicc OG
May 4, 2002
www.unknownterritoryrecords.com
I feel what Notes is saying to the fullest... but I also gotta add that I think the money could be better spent in the area of promotion. There are still a few hundred thousand, if not a million or more people in this state ready to support good local acts who don't know any of us even exist.

Sicc OG
May 14, 2002
www.vvsent.com
I SAY IF U GOT THA MONEY TO GET MAJOR FEATURES,GET EM
IF U DONT JUST CONTINUE TO HATE ON THA CATS WHO DO....BOTTOM LINE....MUSIC IZ A BUSINESS...RIGHT NOW THA BUSINESS IZ ABOUT GETTIN HOT CLUB BANGERS,NEPTUNISH OR SAMPLE BEATS,AND GETTIN THA HOTTEST ARTIST AT THE TIME TO FEATURE...I MEAN WHEN IN ROME......

May 10, 2002
Re: Hmmm...

Fridge said:
Just don't get Jadakiss.

Jada is a sav on the m-i-c...fuck all the bullshit.

If you trynna really blow and do it that way,then snatch up the artists.I dont believe in gettin a muthafucka on your shit just cus he makin moves in the mainstream world.Of course..im different from alotta others.I like hip-hop...i dont care if they bump it in the club or if its some shit you bump after you kill your babys momma...if it slumps..it slumps,period.

Mar 13, 2003
www.billythefridge.com
Yeah...

Purebred Hogg said:

Jada is a sav on the m-i-c...fuck all the bullshit.

If you trynna really blow and do it that way,then snatch up the artists.I dont believe in gettin a muthafucka on your shit just cus he makin moves in the mainstream world.Of course..im different from alotta others.I like hip-hop...i dont care if they bump it in the club or if its some shit you bump after you kill your babys momma...if it slumps..it slumps,period.
Jada is tight. I was alluding to something beyonish.

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
D-Sane says:

Fuck a feature! If you can't hold the mic on your own.......then hang it up. Features should compliment your record.....not MAKE your record.

Did spending $75-100,000 on Livio's album help him? Nope. Did he "blow up"? Nope. Did they lose a bunch of money? Yep.

You need to have a name and a strong following before you start making investments like that. I pretty much agree with Notes breakdown of the subject.

Aug 27, 2002
www.felonyhits.com
THIS IS REAL TALK

Mr. D-Sane said:
D-Sane says:

Fuck a feature! If you can't hold the mic on your own.......then hang it up. Features should compliment your record.....not MAKE your record.

Did spending $75-100,000 on Livio's album help him? Nope. Did he "blow up"? Nope. Did they lose a bunch of money? Yep.

You need to have a name and a strong following before you start making investments like that. I pretty much agree with Notes breakdown of the subject.
IT'S ABOUT MUSIC...IF TWO INDIVIDUALS OR RAPPERS CAN COME TOGETHER AND MAKE A HIT SONG AND YOU ARE BLESSED TO HAVE IT ON YOUR SOLO RELEASE I BELIEVE IT'S A VERY BIG AND SMART MOVE CHECK MY SHIT YOU WILL SEE SOON ......BUT FUCK A FEATURE IS A PART I DIS AGREE WITH YOU ON D-SANE GOOD MUSIC IS GOOD MUSIC...THERE ARE ALSO OTHER MAJOR BENEFITS WHEN YOU HOOK UP WITH ESTABLISHED ARTIST AND THE ARE REALLY FEELING THE TRACK.....THEY WILL MOST LIKELY PUT SOME ENERGY BEHIND IT ALSO AND MAKE THINGS POP OFF IN OTHER REGIONS BESIDES THE NORTHWEST IT'S MUSIC YALL SHOULD REMEMBER THAT YOU NEVER KNOW WHERE YOUR NEXT FAN WILL COME FROM ...ONCE AGAIN GOOD MUSIC SELLS FAST OR SLOW IT SALES....