excuse this post

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 25, 2002
Note: please excuse this page. we are haveing a hard time on our printer so i cut and paste it here to help me in school. please understand.

Still Struggling: An Update on Teenagers at Work
by Andrew Jackson and Sylvain Schetagne
Teens at Work: A Key Transition
In 1998, the CCSD published Youth at Work, an extended study of the labour market experiences of teenagers (15-19 years old) in the early 1990's. This study found that the proportion of youth who work at least one week a year rises steadily between ages 15 and 19, from about 1 in 4 teenagers to about 3 in 4 in 1996. However, it was also shown that the employment rate, the proportion of teens that are employed, fell sharply from 1989 to 1997, with the lack of jobs in the recession and recovery sharply limiting opportunities for teenagers to find work. Employment rates were typically lower for teens from lower income and immigrant families and (unsurprisingly) high unemployment regions and communities.
Entry into the labour force in these years - usually through part-time and/or summer jobs - represents a key transition from childhood to adulthood. Employment for less than 15-20 hours per week does not impede school performance, and indeed a modest level of paid work is associated with better school performance and a lower drop-out rate. Working is positively associated with broader social participation.
This short study updates some of our earlier findings on employment trends, and reflects on their implications for the well-being of young people.

Aug 19, 2002
www.myspace.com
Man, I thought Andrew Jackson died a long time ago. Who knew he really just turned to writing little blurbs about studies of teenagers' employment habits.

And, good God. Did it really take two people to write that short thing?