estevan oriol "digital vs film"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 25, 2005
LOL real talk when he mentioned how anybody can be a photographer or director with the digital age....but shit theres always pros n cons with goin digital. I still got my old film slr and my tubes of paint, paint brushes n charcoal.

Oct 7, 2002
www.LadyTragik.com
diff eras... diff opinions...

he's a great film photographer, respected as such.

the new digital age has of course paved the way for many young aspiring directors/photographers/cinematographers - but just because you own a flip, a dslr, or whatever it may be.. even if you have funds enough to own a hassleblad or a red, invest in the education of your craft as well as the hard ware. and i don't mean having to dish out 90K for those stupid trade schools (no diss to those who are in them) i never took any classes on anything, i learned everything myself through books, listening, interning, trial & error, and online. if you don't know what you're doing then you're worthless. this to me is just as important as having a good aesthetic "eye" - if you do anything, do it 100% or you don't do anyone justice not even yourself.

and good lord someone should clean his office lol.... i know what it's like to be swamped though and never having time to organize. that is also key to making it far in this industry. your organization as an individual and as an artist, your workflow is important, hard drive or filing cabinets... to each their own

prior photographers in the early 21st century and late 1800's would have said the same about estevan or other film photographers.. with the advancement of technology, comes new discoveries and access. next we'll be seeing cameras being able to shoot holographic images and printing virtually... shit who knows. be open to it, adapt if need be, and if not, stick to what you know and do it the best you can.

don't knock anyone for their hustle/hobby/craft/career, it just pushes you to be better.