Daily Warrior News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 15, 2002
10/6

Ellis steals show with his energy

• Rookie guard makes quite an impression in first competitive practice

Warriors notebook

LAIE, Hawaii -- Warriors rookie guard Monta Ellis stole the ball from Baron Davis and zipped up court on the break in Tuesday's second practice session.

With Derek Fisher standing in the way of his layup, Ellis twisted around the veteran in midair to avoid a charge. With Davis trying to block the shot from behind, Ellis switched the ball from his right hand to his left and laid it in.

"Young fella came to play," guard Jason Richardson said after Wednesday's first practice. "We were going at about 80 percent, he was going like 140 percent. He's like, 'I may be from high school, but I can play.'"

By all accounts, Ellis was impressive in the Warriors' first competitive practice of training camp at BYU Hawaii's Cannon Activities Center on the island of Oahu. He showed off his athleticism and creativity, getting by Davis with a shifty around-the-back dribble in the open court. He also showed off his stroke, at one point knocking down three consecutive outside shots.

"What I like about the kid is that he plays hard on every play," assistant coach Mario Elie was quoted saying on the team's Web site. "We kind of got a glimpse of what he can do late in practice with his speed and quickness."

Ellis, however, was not impressed with his first practice. With his focus set on avoiding the NBA Developmental League, he said he realizes he has a ways to go.

"It was cool," he said Wednesday. "I did all right."

Odd men out

Coach Mike Montgomery will be in a difficult spot when the exhibition games roll around. Dividing minutes among 18 players is a tough job.

The Warriors have five training camp invitees -- centers Deji Akindele and Mamadou N'diaye, forward Justin Davis, and guards Ray Young and Aaron Miles -- who need minutes in their push to make the team. The younger players -- such as Ellis, Andris Biedrins and Ike Diogu -- need game experience to be in position to contribute during the season.

"With all of our draft picks, it's just going to take time," Montgomery said. "It may be March before they're able to really get in the position to help."

But more important is that the starters and the regular reserves get into game shape and in sync with one another. Montgomery is putting a premium on giving ample time to his top players.

That doesn't bode well for the rest.

"One of the ways you have to get in shape in this league is by playing games in the preseason," Montgomery said. "You can't simulate game-level intensity in practice. You can't do it. In a game, the level goes up, you push yourself harder, 48 minutes. So I need to have the veteran guys, the top guys that are going to be playing, getting those minutes so they get themselves in shape."

Rookie Taft hurting

Rookie power forward Chris Taft was held out of Wednesday's morning session because of a strained right groin.

Montgomery said the back injury Taft sustained during a summer league game in early July prevented him from reporting to camp in shape. In precamp weigh-ins, Taft registered at 272 pounds. He was listed at 260 before the injury.

"He's probably carrying too much weight, which is not the best thing for his back," Montgomery said. "For Chris, he's a guy that needs to be on the floor. It's just really too bad because he's got an opportunity to be a player, but he needs to practice, he needs to play the game. ... Right now he's kind of in limbo."

May 15, 2002
Richardson taking one for team

By Marcus Thompson II

CONTRA COSTA TIMES

LAIE, Hawaii - The last group of interviews at Warriors' Media Day in Oakland on Monday was Baron Davis and Jason Richardson, each having his own table.

Before Davis arrived, his table was engulfed with television cameras, microphones and tape recorders as journalists jockeyed for position. No one waited at Richardson's table.

Richardson has taken the cliche, "take one for the team," to another level, happily handing over the reins of his squad to his stellar point guard friend. It's an act of selflessness that allegedly doesn't exist in the NBA.

"It's not a big deal to me," Richardson said Thursday after Day 3 of the Warriors training camp held at BYU-Hawaii's Cannon Activities Center.

"Most players in my situation -- being young, you were the man on the team, the face of the Warriors -- they probably would object to it. But I'm all for it. I'm a veteran now, I understand the business. I just know I can position myself to do better things with help."

See, this used to be Richardson's show. He was the most talented player, the team's star. It was his face on Warriors ads in newspapers, his number on The City jerseys in stores.

Then came Davis.

All of a sudden, the Warriors had a new spokesman. It was Davis whom the Warriors sent to represent the team at the NBA draft lottery in New York, whom they sent to Washington, D.C., for photo ops with the First Lady. It's Davis doing live Web chats on nba.com, on the cover of Slam of Slam magazine, on "The Best Damn Sports Show Period."

Davis is now behind the wheel of the Bat Mobile, relegating Richardson to the yellow cape and shotgun duties.

But somehow, Richardson is happier. He's as excited about a season as he's ever been. When he made his first appearance at the Warriors facility this offseason, he screamed at the top of his lungs, "WE'RE GOING TO THE PLAYOFFS!"

"He's one of the most unselfish stars that I've ever played with," Davis said. "The only thing he wants to do is get better. There's no ego in him."

Richardson's background suggests such. He said his mom, Elaine Richardson-Cook, shuns attention. He's got five siblings, so he knows something about sharing. He's a father, so he understands self-sacrifice.

Even more, Richardson played college ball under Tom Izzo at Michigan State, a program noted for team basketball.

"There are certain guys who are the man, but they don't have to say it or people don't have to put it on the front page or even their teammates don't have to pump that into their head all the time," Warriors guard Derek Fisher said. "There are certain guys who, based on their personality and their makeup, can be just as effective or even more effective if they can just go do their job. They don't have to answer these questions or make all these fabulous statements about why I'm the leader.

"I think (Jason) wants to be on a good basketball team. I don't think he cares who gets this or who gets that. He's frustrated with the way things have gone so far in his career, and he wants to win. I think he'll step aside, or whatever moniker you want to put on it, to achieve winning."

Richardson said his relationship with Davis, whom he knew before the two shared a backcourt, makes it easy to step aside. Not only does he like Davis as a person, but he knows Davis is the player to take him where he wants to go.

One lesson Richardson said he learned last year was that individual success comes with team success. He noticed how players from winning teams, such as San Antonio Spurs guard Manu Ginobili and Seattle SuperSonics forward Rashard Lewis, were selected to the All-Star Game, for which Richardson said he was "hurt" to be passed over. He observed at how Phoenix Suns point guard Steve Nash elevated Amare Stoudemire and Shawn Marion to All-Star status.

"I look at Baron doing that same thing with me," Richardson said. "I know I'm a pretty good player right now, but I think he can take my game to another level.

"My last four years we were a selfish team. Last year, my personal goals were higher than the team because that was pretty much the type of team we were. But I'm not that type of player. I've never been a selfish type of player. I've always been unselfish."

Notes: The Warriors broke away from the two-a-days and held one long practice Thursday. Forward Troy Murphy missed it because of the sprained right ankle he sustained in Wednesday's evening practice. Chris Taft also missed Thursday's practice with a strained right groin.

May 15, 2002
WARRIORS NOTEBOOK
Cabarkapa seeking hair-raising experience
Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer

Friday, October 7, 2005

Printable Version
Email This Article

Baseball (AL/NL)
NFL
College Football
Tennis
Golf
NHL
NBA
WNBA
College Hoops (M)
College Hoops (W)
Soccer (M)
Auto Racing
Boxing
Horse Racing

Laie , Hawaii -- The long, unruly curls are a thing of the past. Zarko Cabarkapa has a new look this season -- the "frohawk." Part afro, part Mohawk, it's got the traditional Mohawk swirl with hair on both sides.

Cabarkapa debuted the look while partying at the Video Music Awards in August, and his teammates are already big fans. Monta Ellis called it the "Jimmy Neutron Special," and Ray Young broke down the specifics.

The hairdo matches Cabarkapa's entertaining style of play. It's adding substance, though, that interests Warriors coach Mike Montgomery.

"I want more consistency from him," Montgomery said after Thursday's spirited practice. "He's 6-11, and so theoretically, he should be able to rebound the ball. He's gotten stronger, so ... we need for him to be more consistent with his performance."

Cabarkapa spent his summer trying to establish a rhythm. He was the longest-tenured NBA player to participate on the Warriors' summer-league team in July, and after drawing the ire of coach Mario Elie for lackluster play in the opener, he led the Warriors with 15 points the next game.

He also led them with six turnovers.

Cabarkapa knows he needs to improve his efficiency to earn his coaches' confidence, especially with the Warriors' abundance of big men in camp. During Wednesday's evening session, he was nearly automatic on jumpers off Baron Davis passes. On Thursday, he hit several more, including an impressive short-range jumper after faking out rookie Ike Diogu.

"This is the time I have to show them that I can play," Cabarkapa said. "That they can put me in the game, and every time they put me in the game, I can do something for the team."

Cabarkapa averaged 12.5 minutes per game for Golden State last season, scoring 6.2 points and pulling down 2.7 rebounds.

Because the Warriors have utilized the power-forward slot in primarily a perimeter role, additional minutes might be hard to acquire. Cabarkapa's offensive assets are similar to Troy Murphy's -- both are good spot-up shooters, as is Mike Dunleavy when he plays the '4.'

"If I want to play more minutes here in the NBA, I have to play better defense," Cabarkapa said. "I know that, so I will try to play much, much better."

Briefly: The Warriors traded in their two-a-days for one extended practice Thursday, allowing the team to scrimmage at will. After a messy sequence featuring loose balls and missed shots by Cabarkapa, Dunleavy and Adonal Foyle, Montgomery stopped the session and called out his big men. "It's frustrating for our guards," he said. "It's hard when you come down the floor and you expect somebody to be there and they're not there. So we got some guys that need to just concentrate and be where they're supposed to be." ... Mickael Pietrus, back from a right quadriceps contusion, had the highlight of the afternoon, dunking over Cabarkapa and 7-footer Mamadou N'diaye ... Murphy missed practice with a sprained right ankle he sustained Wednesday night.

Apr 1, 2002
Oh boy oh boy I can't wait not to see the season due to the region I'm in, which doesn't get warriors games yeeeeeeeeeee! Oh we'll see who the suckas are this year, Sonics got nothing, Ray's game is gonna diminish vastly.

May 15, 2002
Cheaney willing to teach, challenge

• The vet has no qualms about being a mentor to the younger players

LAIE, Hawaii -- There has been talk about the Warriors going out to get veteran help off the bench.

Swingman Calbert Cheaney, entering his 13th season, exercised his $1.76 million option to stay with the Warriors. He knows his minutes will be limited because of the Warriors' wealth of talent and youth at his positions. But he plans to contribute anyway.

"Whether I play a little or a lot, it doesn't bother me," Cheaney said. "I'm going to do what I can to help this team. If that's working with our young players, if that's coming in and playing defense, being a spark off the bench, whatever."

Such an attitude is refreshing to Warriors coach Mike Montgomery, who drew the ire of some players with his inconsistent rotation last season. Ideally, Montgomery wants his regular rotation eight or nine players deep. The remaining players would be used in spots, maybe to exploit a matchup or to light a fire under the regulars.

Several players were unhappy with their minutes and the uncertainty of when their minutes would come, especially early in the year. Swingman Mickael Pietrus already has expressed displeasure with the amount of crunch time minutes he logged last year.

Having someone as accommodating as Cheaney goes a long way toward making Montgomery's job easier.

"Knowing Calbert like I do, I would expect that from him because he's really a pro," Montgomery said. "He takes care of his business. He goes about it in a very dignified manner. He's respectful of people but commands respect. Young guys in this league can learn a lot from Calbert.

"I really do appreciate that approach and I believe that he will be ready. I have confidence in Calbert that when he's called on he'll go in and do his job. Now I'm not going to expect him to get 30 (points), but I know he'll defend, I know he'll play hard, I know he'll be smart. I know he'll fit in whatever spot he's asked to fill. Guys like that are very valuable."

Cheaney already has begun helping rookie point guard Monta Ellis, as he did with Pietrus. Ellis said Cheaney has been there to point him in the right direction and pat him on the back.

But Cheaney is not resigned to being an assistant coach. He's going to fight for his share of minutes.

"Oh, I'm going to push them," Cheaney said, "If they're not getting it done, I'll step in."

Sights & sounds

Pietrus served up a facial to center Mamadou N'diaye on Thursday. He took a pass from Derek Fisher on the right wing and rose up, slamming down a one-hand tomahawk past N'diaye's block attempt. ... Guard Baron Davis, frustrated by an easy basket scored against his team in Thursday's scrimmage, told forward Zarko Cabarkapa to "run like you do on offense." ... Pietrus leaked out for a breakaway dunk Friday, and it looked as if rookie Ike Diogu was going to try to make a stop. But guard Jason Richardson warned Diogu, "Don't jump! Don't jump! You don't want to make it twice in one day." Richardson was referring to his baseline dunk over Diogu earlier in practice, Richardson's payback for a Diogu block during a pick-up game this summer. "J-Rich got me," Diogu admitted.

Tip-ins

Forward Troy Murphy missed his second consecutive practice with a sprained right ankle. ... Chris Taft missed his third consecutive practice with a strained right groin.

Laie, Hawaii -- He'd rather debate the merits of the war in Iraq than argue over the Warriors or the Kings being the better team. And if that makes Adonal Foyle an easy target for critics, who laud his intellectual mind and rue his basketball brawn, so be it.

The Warriors center has developed other ways to answer his naysayers. Like showing up at training camp in the best shape of his career.

According to Golden State, Foyle is carrying around 12 more pounds of muscle than last season -- the biggest gain of any Warrior. He's also lowered his body fat -- by a good percentage.

"Lowest I've been in a long time," Foyle said with a smile Friday.

The leaner Foyle says he is ready to play an entire season as the Warriors' starting center.

Just last year, the team entered the year expecting Foyle and Troy Murphy to start at center and power forward, respectively, with Dale Davis and Clifford Robinson backing them up.

But with Foyle slow to learn coach Mike Montgomery's Stanford-style system, with its precise movement and multiple options, the coach turned to Robinson at center. His highly-paid starter was now a highly-paid reserve.

The frustration mounted. Foyle said the two never had a conversion about what didn't work or what needed improvement. Montgomery told him only that he was searching for the right combination, which added to Foyle's anxiety.

"It was extremely difficult," Foyle said Friday. "Coach felt like he needed to make a change, and he did, and I was the person that got changed. For whatever reason, right or wrong, as a player you're still trying to figure out what you did wrong."

Foyle said he called former Warrior Clifford Ray as his minutes took a dive. Ray told him to keep his head up, to keep at it defensively. When Robinson, then Davis, were traded in February, Foyle defaulted into the starter's role again.

He'll begin the season there as Andris Biedrins continues to develop, and his minutes should be more consistent than last year. He might even have a few more looks on offense with Baron Davis distributing his laser-like passes.

During practice Wednesday, Jason Richardson reminded Foyle to walk around with his "hands glued up."

"I mean, he's been in the league nine years and he's never had it before where a point guard can pass the ball like that," Richardson said.

To improve his game, Foyle attended Ray's and Robert Parish's Big Man Camp in Florida in August. The focus was on shooting from 15-feet in and regaining his confidence on offense. Ray used to tell Foyle that he had one of the better jump shots among big men in the league, and to keep practicing.

"For me to just go back in that environment where it's being encouraged was great," Foyle said. "Just to keep working on your game, keep stretching your game and keep learning."

And what of the critics?

Though Foyle ranks third on the Warriors with eight years in the league, he is usually skipped in discussions about team leadership and experience. Maybe that's why he is looking forward to the season.

"He's had a pretty good summer," Montgomery said. "He's changed his weight a bit. It's up, and that's not necessarily a good thing unless it's positive, but I think he's gotten stronger and he's moving well."

Briefly: The most frequent question Montgomery has been asked by national and local media attending camp is what difference an entire season with Baron Davis will make. "Last year, a lot of the things we tried to run when we first started was me making assumptions that guys could dribble both ways, which wasn't the case," Montgomery said. "I don't think we'll have to adjust from something we've done because something we wanted to do didn't work. I think what we want to do will work with these guys." ... Murphy missed his second day of practice with a sprained right ankle. He said the injury was not serious and expected to be back soon.

May 15, 2002
WARRIORS TRAINING CAMP
Ellis mastering steep learning curve -- so far
Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer

Sunday, October 9, 2005

Printable Version
Email This Article

Baseball (AL/NL)
NFL
College Football
Tennis
Golf
NHL
NBA
WNBA
College Hoops (M)
College Hoops (W)
Soccer (M)
Auto Racing
Boxing
Horse Racing

Laie , Hawaii -- The education of Monta Ellis began in a New Jersey hotel room. For five days this summer, Ellis, Ike Diogu and Chris Taft joined their fellow rookies for a crash course on living the NBA life.

They learned about the usual suspects -- money and women -- and about starting their own businesses and putting family members on the payroll. The annual league-mandated orientation was meant to ease the transition to the NBA grind, but it still couldn't make Ellis immune to personal scares.

The native of Jackson, Miss., was among those affected by Hurricane Katrina last month. Though his childhood home escaped major damage, his grandparents weren't as fortunate. An uprooted tree crashed through the roof of their home and injured his grandfather.

Ellis left his training regimen in the Bay Area and returned home to his family. He spent several days with spotty phone connections and without electricity.

His grandfather has since fully recovered, and his grandparents -- who had been living with Ellis' aunt for the past month -- finally returned home Thursday.

"My grandparents, they've been in that house 30-plus years," Ellis said with a smile. "They feel odd when they're not living under their roof."

Thirty years is a long measure for Ellis, who won't turn 20 until Oct. 26. NBA careers don't last 30 years, but now that his grandparents are fine, Ellis is focused on establishing longevity with the Warriors.

Rookies like to refer to themselves as sponges, here to soak up as much as they can during their first NBA season, and Ellis is no different. He says his most important task is to learn the Warriors' system, and with his fearless nature, players and coaches are lining up to help him.

Guards Calbert Cheaney and Jason Richardson are there to pat him on the back, and assistant coach Mario Elie refers to him as a son. Their bond was forged during summer league, where Ellis was arguably the team's best player.

He defended the likes of Portland's Sebastian Telfair and Martell Webster with modest success. He also led the team in scoring through five games, and finished with an average of 15.8 points.

Even coach Mike Montgomery, who can be hard to impress, uses the word "fearless" to describe Ellis. The rookie shows no hesitation when he skies for a dunk and throws his rail-thin frame at bigger, stronger guards.

When he ran with the Warriors' first unit Thursday and Friday, he stuck to his opponents and knocked down most of his open jumpers. The performances have made his teammates take notice of the high school standout.

"He's earned the right to be here," guard Derek Fisher said. "He's not out there saying, 'I should be bowing down to these guys.' He's out there competing."

And always looking to learn. Once, Ellis found himself on the weakside of the court, standing still and feeling lost. He asked Elie what to do and the coach told him to keep moving. So he did.

"A lot of these new guys come in thinking we just got to play basketball," Elie said. "It's not like that. You got to know the plays, you got to know how to help, you got to know the pick and roll, you got to know post D."

To make sure Ellis really knows, Elie grills him on assignments. He asks Ellis if he's read his book of plays and regularly quizzes him on the material. Ellis says his coach at Lanier High, Thomas Billups, was just as tough.

The Warriors plan to use Ellis as a combo guard, which means the rookie must learn a new position in a new league. Ellis played mainly at shooting guard in high school, but has plenty of help at the point with two-time All-Star Baron Davis and the three-time NBA champion Fisher on hand to instruct.

If he continues to excel, Ellis has a realistic shot at becoming the team's third point guard, fourth if Mike Dunleavy is included on the depth chart. Asked whether he thought Ellis would be ready to contribute this season, Elie said yes.

Montgomery said the quickness and athleticism Ellis used to dominate in high school won't have the same effect in the NBA. Specifically, if Ellis tried to drive to the basket with his 6-foot-3, 177-pound frame, "he's going to get knocked on his can," Montgomery said.

So Ellis is trying to get stronger. Trying to gain weight. Slowly, he is picking up the Warriors' offense and defense. And always, he is pushing himself.

"I have to," Ellis said. "If I don't, no one else will."

Briefly: Though he seemed to be favoring his left leg, Troy Murphy returned to practice Saturday. ... Fisher hobbled off the court after rolling his left ankle on Adonal Foyle's at the end of practice. The Warriors expect him to be available today.