Chicago Bears hire Mike Martz as OC!!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
and kitna was twice as smart and twice as accurate as Cutler.
I was very tempted to quit reading your post after this.

LMAO.

thascary1 said:
but you guys are right I havent seen him play
The fact that you hate him because he left your team makes me take your opinion of him with a grain of salt, despite how much you've seen him play.

LOL @ Kitna being twice as smart and twice as accurate. If that were the case he wouldn't be riding the pine behind Tony Romo right now, because he's be better than Romo. Kitna is trash.

Mar 16, 2005
I was very tempted to quit reading your post after this.

LMAO.

The fact that you hate him because he left your team makes me take your opinion of him with a grain of salt, despite how much you've seen him play.

LOL @ Kitna being twice as smart and twice as accurate. If that were the case he wouldn't be riding the pine behind Tony Romo right now, because he's be better than Romo. Kitna is trash.
I hated him much longer then when he left the team! his constant bad decisions have only proved me right. and an older Kitna vs a younger romo isnt the debate.....Kitna is smart and more accurate THAN CULTER! cutler has a very low % rate on throw over 20 yards (in the air). He is good at the 10 - 20 yard play, but bungles throw that are quick and under 15 yards very often. Alot of cutlers yards in denver were the ability of marshall and royal to take a 5 yard slant and run it another 20 - 40 yards after the catch juking and breaking tackles along the way...dont believe lookup wr's with most yards after catch and after first contact...you will find marshall is near top of that list....he didnt get his yards because of long bombs.

You are under the cutler spell that he seems to get people under. Does he have the tools physically to be a star..OF COURSE, i will agree with that. But he doesnt have the maturity, he doesnt take the criticism, and he doesnt take care of himself and the diabetes issue like a real pro should. He also doesnt take responsibilty and throws teammates and coaches under the bus all the time. All a team has to do is get 1 pick to throw him off his game and he will bitch and pout the rest of that game.

If he is so talented accurate and such a star, why hasnt he lead a high school team to a championship?? why couldnt he lead an ncaa team to a winning record or even a bowl game??? why hasnt he finished above .500 in pros, and have a worse decemeber winning % than even romo??????

Apr 25, 2002
If he is so talented accurate and such a star, why hasnt he lead a high school team to a championship?? why couldnt he lead an ncaa team to a winning record or even a bowl game??? why hasnt he finished above .500 in pros, and have a worse decemeber winning % than even romo??????
Jays senior year his team went undefeated in high school....champs

Jay in college led one of the lowliest div 1 programs in history back to slight respectability....including beating a tennessee team that vandy had not beaten since before Jay was born

You can hate him all you want but he is better than Orton

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
That's true... even Kitna threw for over 4,000 yards in Martz' system if I'm not mistaken.
kitna is also a better qb than he ever gets credit for. hes never been on a decent team and still put up decent numbers. nothing great but then again, he never had anything great to work with.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
I know it's a little early fellas but....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...augh-martz-chicago--20100920,0,7446741.column

Enjoy Martz while you can, Bears fans

Offensive genius could be a head coach again soon
David Haugh

In the Wake of the News

7:22 PM CDT, September 20, 2010

When it comes to the Bears offensive coordinator, traditionally the debate around here isn't confined to whether he should run or pass. It's usually buy or rent too.

It can be the most scrutinized, least-satisfying sports job in town. The only thing most Bears fans agree on every Monday is they could have called a better game than the fool who did 24 hours earlier. Too often in past years, they probably were right.

Consider how rare that makes the nearly universal praise heaped on play-calling guru Mike Martz in the aftermath of the Bears' potentially season-changing 27-20 victory over the Cowboys.

Rarely deserved too. Finally.

Enjoy the Martz Magic Show, Chicago, before, poof, it's gone.

The man who has reinvented his NFL coaching career after a year in the studio and already given the Bears offense reason to think it can outscheme every team might not be at Halas Hall long.

There are two likely scenarios. Either the Bears miss the playoffs and Martz exits with the entire Lovie Smith staff as part of an organizational purge or he becomes a head coach again due to the way he reinvigorated a dormant Bears offense that earned a playoff spot.

A one-and-done scenario seems more realistic than Martz, 59, returning for another season as the offensive coordinator on a staff on which he's arguably the most qualified head coach.

Imagine how attractive Martz will be on the job market if the Bears continue to move the ball as they have in the first two games, producing 771 yards. If Jay Cutler surpasses 4,000 passing yards and comes closer than ever to his Pro Bowl potential running Martz's offense, every team with a head-coaching vacancy and an erratic quarterback will want an audience with Martz. Especially those seeking a quick fix.

I couldn't help but wonder if that went through Cowboys owner Jerry Jones' head Sunday after coach Wade Phillips' vaunted defense looked so confused trying to figure out Martz's offense. Jones raved last week during an interview about how fascinated he always has been with Martz. If the Bears and Cowboys keep heading in opposite directions, who knows, Jones may be tempted to see if Martz wants to become a head coach again and save Tony Romo from himself.

Other curious NFL executives likely would call. Only one team can hire Bill Cowher.

It's still early, but a season observing the league from afar appears to have made Martz more pliable as a play-caller. The perceived stubbornness often associated with Martz was nowhere to be found in Dallas as the Bears totally changed their passing game plan to shorter drops and quicker releases after the Cowboys blitz threatened to control the game early.

With all due respect to former Bears offensive coordinator Ron Turner, who did a professional job, the Bears under Turner seldom showed a willingness or an ability to adjust on the fly as well as they did Sunday. Martz changed game plans and flipped offensive tackles in the first quarter.

And Cutler's quarterback sneak on fourth-and-inches was another sign of open-mindedness. How interesting that Martz turned to a sneak play he was criticized for not using in Week 1. Sometimes genius is simply grasping the obvious.

Issues remain. When Chris Williams returns from a hamstring injury, I would play him at right tackle, where he was solid last season, and leave Frank Omiyale on the left side, where he fits best. I wouldn't force Devin Aromashodu back into the wide receiver rotation as long as Cutler's trusted confidant Earl Bennett continues to catch the type of passes Aromashodu dropped against the Lions. And a team that went 1-for-11 on third-down conversions Sunday really should realize how good a weapon tight end Desmond Clark can be in those situations.

But whether or not Martz heeds any of that free advice, he has regained the benefit of the doubt due to boldness that brings out the best in this offense – especially Cutler. That showed when Martz trusted Cutler enough to go deep with Johnny Knox against Pro Bowl cornerback Michael Jenkins on third-and-15 with the Bears trailing 14-10. Cutler delivered a 59-yard beauty that typified the I-dare-you personality Martz has instilled.

But the most convincing evidence of the Martz effect came after the Bears regained possession at their own 34 with 7 minutes, 23 seconds left leading 20-17. Instead of trying to grind out the clock behind a running game that had struggled, Martz abandoned the Bears' traditional play-not-to-lose philosophy. Four straight passes later, Matt Forte hauled in a TD catch that capped a day full of schematic advantages.

Given that nobody in Cowboys Stadium had a greater impact on the victory, I requested to speak with Martz after the game. The Bears said no. The team permits Martz to speak to the media only on Wednesdays, 72 hours later. Whether that policy was made to ensure Martz doesn't contradict Smith or overshadow his head coach, the Bears missed an opportunity to educate their fans on Martz's thinking as well as trumpet how smart Lovie suddenly looks for hiring him.

But the word's out around the league. In this improbable 2-0 Bears start, nobody has contributed more than the guy who clearly brought more than his reputation back to the sidelines.