C-MURDER INTERVIEW

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 1, 2003
C-Murder interview by: Scott Bejda

Find the complete interview in Murder Dog vol 11 # 4

How does the new album compare to your earlier stuff?

I just feel good about this one. Everything is just me. There’s a lot of shit that I gotta say. I feel like muthafuckaz wanna hear what’s on my mind. I’m just giving to them 100% raw. I ain’t worried about society or these White folks saying this and that about me. I’m just spitting it whatever comes to my mind. I feel good about it compared to all the other ones. This project is special to me.

It sounds like it is a real personal album?

It is definitely personal. Straight up!

Will there be another TRU album?

I don’t know about that one yet. Maybe if I hit something’.

When was the last TRU album?

Shit, that was a minute now. It has been so long I don’t even know, like ‘99 or something.

The Tru album in ‘97 Tru 2 Da Game was so damn hard.

That is a classic right there. We were just coming how we come. Natural! We just put it out there like that. We had the chemistry with the Pound. The timing and everything was just right. That muthafucka was selling.

You were played on BET, but why do you think not so much on MTV?

That was double platinum too. I don’t know why it was like that. Maybe it’s because we were from the South and they ain’t really feeling South niggaz. I don’t know what it was. It was something about the muthafuckaz. Even with the magazines. They was never treating a nigga how we was supposed to be treated. It’s bigger than that shit. If you have a responsibility to do for the artists, then do it. Don’t be trippin’ on a nigga like that.

The South was always hot, but No Limit really opened it up for the South. Do you feel y’all got the credit for helping the South blow up to what it is today?

When I hear the major muthafuckaz that be doing interviews they give us our props. As long as they know what is happening and know what we did for muthafuckaz then it is cool. It takes a man to admit that shit to me. Some muthafuckaz just don’t wanna give the love. It takes a real nigga to come up and say " yeah, you boys did this for us and started doing movies with albums and all this." When I hear shit like that I be like "OK, as long as they say shit like that then they know the real."

How do you feel about T.I. calling himself the king of the South? What about Scarface, Luke, or Master P?

My thought on that is when a muthafucka comes out with an album they should boast on themselves. That is just what they are doing. I don’t think muthafuckaz should be beefing over that shit.

A lot of rappers are beefing in the game right now. I have never heard you diss anyone on wax. Is that something that you try not to do?

I just feel like muthafuckaz who are on that real shit shouldn’t entertain no bullshit. That shit is escalating to murder, killing and you gotta watch your back. Common sense will tell you don’t get into all that shit.

Why do you think a lot of rappers do it?

I don’t know bro. I be sitting back thinking about it too. Maybe it’s in the back of their head that the beef shit sells, but they don’t understand that some muthafuckaz just don’t want to play that shit. Shit, get real! I guess maybe they know the people they are beefing with and they know that they won’t do nothing. To me that shit is personal. It’s disrespect!

If someone would holla your name out then you would just dismiss them as a hater?

Shit, if someone holler at me on a record then I’m gonna deal with them personally. I ain’t with that shit bro. I ain’t trying to be out here beefing with nobody and gettin into to it, but I ain’t gonna tolerate that shit.

You have had so many ups and downs. What keeps you going?

Life ain’t over. Ain’t nothing over until you are in the casket. You gotta just keep moving. That is what life is all about. You are going to go through some shit. Some gangsta shit, some real shit, some good and some bad. Muthafuckaz just gotta keep moving.

Do you have any advice for people who are in similar situations to what you are going through?

You gotta keep on making moves and calling people. You have to do what you have to do and keep fighting the system. Don’t just throw your hands in the air. You gotta make a change for the next man. Don’t be selfish! You gotta keep on and expose the shit so for the next man it will be cool. Don’t be selfish with the shit. A muthafucka gotta keep fighting and don’t ever give up.

From multi-platinum success to being locked up, do you ever think about writing a book?

Down the line. I wanna wait until all this shit is really over and the timing is right. I have been writing a book, but it ain’t an autobiography type of book. It’s a basic fictional book with reality in it. It’s real shit that you can relate to, but it is fictional. It’s a gangsta type book called "Death Around The Corner".

What is the book about?

It’s about this guy who’s father was killed in front of him. He just been going through a lot of struggles. They are hustlin’ just trying to make it. They are going about everything the wrong way. They are looking for that one big thing so they can just chill. He is having visions of his dead sister and seeing her disappear at the worst of times. It’s crucial! It’s like in the fifteenth chapter right now.

Has anyone read it?

I have been letting a few people read the few chapters that I have so far and they have been trippin’. It’s gonna be something crucial. I’m almost about half way through with it.

What made you decide to want to write a book like that?

I like to read. I have read over three hundred books since I have been here. I read every day. I read all types of shit. I have half these muthafuckaz in here reading now. I’m reading everyday and I don’t care what it is. I read all kinds of shit!

When you get out will you do more writing?

I want to become an author. I like to write shit and see how it comes out. That’s why I’m taking my time making this first book so crucial. I don’t want people to think that he is just a rapper trying to write a book to try to make money. I want the respect as an author too. When they pick it up I want them to be waiting on the next one, then I will be satisfied.

Sep 1, 2003
An autobiography is something that you will do later on?

I’m not really thinking about it right now. I know it will come because some people brought it to my attention. Right now I’m not even interested in attempting to get to that level. I did read the autobiography of Malcom X. I really enjoyed that way and that method. When I do it, it will be something on that level.

A lot of cats are droppin’ DVD’s. How does it feel to be part of the era that started the independent Rap film movement with "Bout It"?

That made me feel good. That made me feel good that muthafuckaz peeped game and learned it. Just seeing when muthafuckaz handle business and it’s good. There’s a time for everybody. That is what is making money and they are paying attention.

Will you do any more acting?

Definitely! I have been hollering at John Singleton. I have been hollering at his people. Once we hook up it will be good. I got a movie that I want him to check out.

Tell me about your movie script?

It’s crucial and straight hood! It’s not no comedy at all. It’s real hood. It’s called Street Glory. It’s everyday living in everyday situations from baby mama drama to hustlin and police problems.

What was it like growing up in New Orleans?

I’m from there and I have been living there. As far as childhood we didn’t have much, but that’s what it was all about. I grew up kind of cool. My problems were just my problems and I accepted them. I made good with what I had. The killing and murder was there, but it happens. I got used to this shit.

When you were real young was there a rap scene in New Orleans?

It was most likely just bounce. Bounce was really topping it. With all the local people it was just bounce. There was no hardcore hip hop shit like to the level that it is on now.

Was No Limit the first to bring the gangsta shit to New Orleans?

My brother was the first to bring that. He switched the whole game up in the N.O. Then everyone started to see that it was cool to do that here. Everybody picked up on it. We was trend setters! From everything to fashion. Muthafuckaz started wearing headbands and all kinds of shit.

Out of all the music that you recorded, what was the most memorable for you?

I’m really on the Trapped in Crime album. I was really feeling that. My favorite other songs were all the No Limit Soldier songs that we did. KLC did the beats. The fuckin’ crowd used to go crazy over that shit. I can’t wait to get out this Truest Shit I’ve Ever Said.

The real old No Limit stuff was distributed by In-A-Minute?

Yeah! In - A - Minute rippin’ a nigga off. Straight rip off artists.

They used to put out Poohman, RbL and Totally Insane?

Yeah, I remember all them niggaz man.

Did you know when you were kids that "P" was gonna be a great businessman like that?

Yeah! He benefited from the streets. Shit that we needed to live, he would come through. No matter what it took. It was bound to happen.

How does it make you feel to see your nephew Lil Romeo blowin up like that?

I knew he was gonna do his thing too. When he was a baby it was like he had been here before. He matured as a baby and got in the game being around us. It was a matter of time before he blew up too.

Do you have any children?

I got three little girls. They are 8, 5 and 3. I’m a real proud father.

Your last album came out on D3. Why didn’t it come out on "No Limit"?

Truest Dogs. That was me personally with all the homies. That was something that I did. I was reaching out doing my own thing at the same time with Tru Records. P was doing his thing, so at the same time I handled that. I reached out to D-3 and they were interested.

Is your new album gonna come out on your label or No Limit?

That is gonna be under me. The Truest Shit I Ever Said is gonna be under Tru Records straight up. I just feel like it’s time for me to handle my own business. I am gonna handle my own shit anyway. That is what I’m doing. I ain’t stopping! No holds bared!

Is the album almost done?

It is like 98% done right now. I just got two more songs hooked up with KLC, my hold homey from Beats By The Pound. It’s crucial!

Do you have plans on shopping it to a major?

Once I’m done and put two singles on the radio and put two videos out then I’m going to shop. I ain’t gonna go in there like this right now. I want it to be crucial so I can get the best deal. I’m just letting them know what is going on. I’m hitting all the labels and letting them know what I’m doing. Once that buzz and that impact hits them, then it’s all good.

We have been doing this interview in segments for about a month. Has anything changed with your case since we first started the interview?

Everything is basically the same. I’m still just waiting on circuit court to give me a decision. Then I can know if it’s time for me to get a bond, or they will even pursue and give me another trial.This is suppose to be the magic month (October). Any time like from today, or anytime on I should hear something. It has been three and a half months and it takes three months and some change. Right now I can get a call today saying it is cool. It’s crucial!

You grew up in the Calliope Projects, then you were a part of a mega million selling label and now behind the wall. What has the see saw effect been like for you?

As far as the rags to riches, to being in jail the transition is fucked up for anybody. I was just a regular nigga on the street getting locked up. Don’t nobody want to be in jail. Now my focus is getting out. Muthafuckaz got their good days and bad days. I wanna be on like any other muthafucka. I just gotta focus on getting out and doing the best thing that I could do.

When you get out how is your life gonna change as far as the old C to the new C?

It’s gonna change because of me being here, I’m going to be bustin free 100%. Since I been here muthafuckaz ain’t been holding it down like they suppose to. I’m gonna be bustin free. I ain’t gonna be trippin’ as far as trying to do this and that for the next man. The next man ain’t doing this for me like he should of held it down while I’m in here. Stick to my own self and handle my business. I ain’t looking back either when I get out. This shit ain’t gonna mean nothing to me.

This new album knocks your older shit out the box?

Yeah It’s crucial! I can’t wait until I’m done. I’m tweaking right now just looking at the line up of all the songs and who I got on this bitch.

Has your rapping style changed at all?

Whatever the beat brings out in me. I feel like my style is the same, but this album here is gonna be 100% grimy and real and criminal. It ain’t none of that sugar coated shit. It’s just grimy! That’s how I want it. I ain’t trippin’ on no air play, but I know they will be tweakin. They are gonna have to play it, because muthafuckaz is gonna wanna hear what’s happening. I ain’t even trippin’ if MTV and BET don’t play my videos. I will ship them out to all the local channels. They will play it. Everything will be gutta! I’m gonna be out there. They ain’t gonna stop me from doing what I gotta do and they will see that from my music. You can’t break a muthafucka like this. I’m gonna keep doing what I gotta do.

SEEMS HE GOT BIG PLANS...

WHAT YALL THINK ?

Sicc OG
Jan 4, 2004
Reptile said:
A lot of rappers are beefing in the game right now. I have never heard you diss anyone on wax. Is that something that you try not to do?
DIDNT HE DISS JUVENILE AND MYSTICAL ON THE BETYA TRACK FROM THE TRY DAWGS ALBUM?

Aug 7, 2002
maaaaaaaaaaaan that was a tight ass interview....hellyea mayne c murder real im peepin his shit out this time... i feel what he's sayin foreal...

Apr 25, 2002
High Caliber Ent. said:
I THOUGHT HE WAS GETTIN LIFE IN PRISON.... WHEN IS HE GONNA GET OUT?
The DA was doin some shady shit and cleaning records to get witnesses in court and the judge found out. So every thing was threw out for a new case or it may get dropped. Cmurder would have gotten out but they charged him with assaulting a correctional officer so he wasnt elgible for bail or sumthin like that

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
C Murder is a sav, I definatly gotta peep his new one I havn't really got any new south albums in awhile