Building a Studio

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

FDS

RIP DUKE BROTHERS
Jan 29, 2006
Im looking to build a studio, Im getting some Monitors, new mic, a Recording Station like this

a pre-amp, but what i wanted to know if there was any reason why i should get a mixer like this
if im gonna be using protools LE. Anyone got a set-up similar to this? I just need to know if there is a point in my wasting near a thousand for a Mixer. Help a brotha out.

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
why are you gonna use pro tools when you have a digital mixer that can do it all in the box,I mean I can see some reasons but,depending on your needs,you can stay computer only or hardware only

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
dude is probably new to this shit and wants the stuff cuz it looks cool or maybe he thinks he needs it. why would you have a digital mixer and a crappy analog berenger board hooked together? My advice is to do a little more research before you buy anything. If you are new might as well just go one route or the other like 50 cal said.

FDS

RIP DUKE BROTHERS
Jan 29, 2006
nah the question im asking, is if i need the analog mixer at all, if i have the track recorder running with protools. And no im not new to this, i have recorded before but using simple shit like an Mbox, small pre-amps, mics, but im pretty decent at engineering with protools. Im tryna do hip hop with this shit, all i want to be able to do is take tracks from like reason and track them out, lay down some vocals. Simple shit like that. Im just tryna step it up from what i already have so of course im gonna have some questions.

FDS

RIP DUKE BROTHERS
Jan 29, 2006
im just so used to doing everything on computer that when it comes time for the hardware i have trouble deciding whether i need it or not. I just want better quality.

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
well if you are doin all your beats in the computer..you really dont hAVE THE NEED FOR a analog mixer,You could stay all computer,but I could see the benefit of using the tascam digital mixer to use as a controler,but that version may be overkill being its an all in one ..however for the price,I dont think its a bad idea....but again..dont just think about what you are doin today,plan ahead and figure that your needs may grow,and proper planning for expansion today could save you alot of money

Feb 18, 2006
www.myspace.com
If your willing to spend the money, and plan on doing alot of recording. I would suggest trying to stray away from a full digital setup. By that I mean doing it through your computer. Digitals good and all but your not going to get that quility you need. You need to get a good mic, try and not spend any less then $300 on your mic, my mic cost about $700. Make sure and get a good pop filter(not a coathanger and pantyhose) I spent about 40 on mine. If you get a recording station, you won't need a mixer cause a good recording station has a mixer on it, you won't need more than a 12 track.

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
killahkid said:
If your willing to spend the money, and plan on doing alot of recording. I would suggest trying to stray away from a full digital setup. By that I mean doing it through your computer. Digitals good and all but your not going to get that quility you need. You need to get a good mic, try and not spend any less then $300 on your mic, my mic cost about $700. Make sure and get a good pop filter(not a coathanger and pantyhose) I spent about 40 on mine. If you get a recording station, you won't need a mixer cause a good recording station has a mixer on it, you won't need more than a 12 track.
you make some valid points but you can get just a s good quality on a digital mixer...you can still get a nice mic for that/pre-amp...and the roland models even have expansions to supports some plug ins,platinum hits have been recorded on those digital boards...not necesarilly that tascam,but the mackie d8b that was pretty tight,the yamaha o2r with some apogee converters...there is more to great recording then a good mic,Ive had the pleasure to be at a guitar center with some engineers from some big studios in L.A. and they were testing out some mic pre-amps....and they could have used a $15,000 mic,but used a Cheap mic..under $100...and the sound was unbeleivable.If I personally like digital mixers,I have had some experience in some form or another wit....Mackie db8, akaidps24,tascamdm24,Roland2480,korg d1600,

Apr 25, 2002
i'm using a 100 dollar mic and my shit sounds better then most releases coming out these days that weren't recorded in million dollar studios

it's all about how you twerk it
and CHOOSING THE RIGHT PRODUCT
not the most expensive one

i once had a $1900 mic that sounded shittier then my sm57 for my vocals

FDS

RIP DUKE BROTHERS
Jan 29, 2006
if ur talkin to me im using mbox right now, but im gonna due the super upgrade to the Digidesign Digi 002. Heard that was some good shiet. Also gettin an IMAC, a decent preamp, 400 dollar Mic, and im making the spare room in the house into a studio. Ive already got Production shit, MPC2000 and im gonna get a triton Rack with the midi controller so i dont have to spend 700 dollars more on the actual keyboard. What u guys think?

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
fuckdemsquares said:
if ur talkin to me im using mbox right now, but im gonna due the super upgrade to the Digidesign Digi 002. Heard that was some good shiet. Also gettin an IMAC, a decent preamp, 400 dollar Mic, and im making the spare room in the house into a studio. Ive already got Production shit, MPC2000 and im gonna get a triton Rack with the midi controller so i dont have to spend 700 dollars more on the actual keyboard. What u guys think?
O.K.,so if you have 8 outputs from your mpc(unless yours dont),and then the triton racks gonna have about 4 outs.......so you might want an anaolg mixer.....figure that no matter what you use..computer,or digital mixer..you have to record all the tracks you made on mpc,keyboards.....unless you wanna make several passes....meaning a 4 minute song could take a long time just to record the beat

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
If you are getting the 002 (OR the 002r) you have no need for the hard disk recorder you plan on purchasing. If you need more inputs for the 002 or 002r you can BYPASS the mixer, get an interface that can be used with ADAT/LIGHTPIPE (check the presonus ones) and save yourself some cash.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
the 002 has lightpipe doesn't it? I vaugley remember a demo in school where we hooked a couple ADATs to a 96 or 192 and dumped the audio into protools, thats 8 extra ins for ya and you can get an ADAT for a couple hundred bucks nowadays