Browns suspend Winslow one game without pay

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 9, 2002
Browns suspend Winslow one game over critical comments

By James Walker
ESPN.com
(Archive)

CLEVELAND -- Less than 48 hours after Kellen Winslow voiced his displeasure with the Cleveland Browns organization, the team opted to discipline its Pro Bowl tight end.

The Browns suspended Winslow for one game without pay following his comments after Sunday's 14-11 loss to the Washington Redskins. Winslow was unhappy with the way the team and Browns general manager Phil Savage publicly handled his staph infection and said he felt like "a piece of meat."

As a result, Winslow will be held out of Sunday's road game against the Jacksonville Jaguars (3-3), costing him $235,294 -- his one-game paycheck. Winslow also will not be allowed to practice or attend meetings at the team's facility this week and cannot return until Monday.

"Kellen has expressed his desire to be a productive member of the Cleveland Browns,'' Savage said in a statement. "His comments and behavior on Sunday evening, however, were unwarranted, inappropriate, and unnecessarily disparaging to our organization. His statements brought unjustified negative attention to our organization, and violated the team-first concept of our football squad. Therefore, disciplinary action will be taken in the form of a one-game suspension without pay for conduct detrimental to the club."

Winslow has a team-high 21 receptions for 187 yards and one touchdown this season. His case of staph was the sixth known infection with the Browns in the past few seasons.

Browns receivers Joe Jurevicius and Braylon Edwards are two current members of the team who also recently had staph infections in what has become an increasingly hot topic in Cleveland this week.

"As an organization, we have worked hard to ensure the safety and well-being of our players,'' Savage said. "Consistent with this effort, we have consulted the team's medical experts to ensure that any instances of staph infections are evaluated and treated thoroughly and expeditiously, and in accordance with the recommended standard of care. Further, steps have been and continue to be taken on a daily, monthly, and yearly basis to protect our players and personnel at our training facility and stadium."

Savage said the players have been educated on the risks of staph, and that during training camp the entire team took part in an extensive presentation by infectious disease experts.

"Kellen was in attendance at that meeting," Savage said. "Since that meeting, not one player has approached me, Romeo Crennel, or our medical staff with concerns as to how we have dealt with this issue."

On Monday, Crennel said he was disappointed by Winslow's decision to take his problems to the media and said he would consult with Savage before levying any punishment.

Savage defended the Browns' handling of Winslow's hospital stay.

"The Cleveland Browns are committed to winning and taking care of our players," he said. "We are also committed to protecting the privacy of our players, particularly with regard to medical issues. To that end, following discussions with Kellen Winslow and his representation, the Browns agreed to make every effort to maintain the confidentiality of his recent medical condition."

James Walker covers the NFL for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
my bad too lazy to read the whole article. what exactly is a staph infection?
It's a nasty infection that comes from not being properly cleaned after surgical procedures... someone correct me if I am wrong. The Browns have had that problem in the past.

May 2, 2002
A lot of teams have had it…probably most. It’s not just from surgery…Winslow had surgery in the off-season…so I don't know how he got it now. You can get it from cuts, burns…..

While it must suck getting sick…you can’t go around saying you’re being treated like a piece of meat. It makes the Browns look like they don’t care about their players…and that simply isn’t true.

In reality though...all players are treated like a piece of meat.

May 2, 2002
Well...he made comments about the GM...so something had to be done. And I like Winslow.

If I went on tv and made a bunch of negative remarks about my boss...I would be fired.

And really...the team has been nothing but great to him...even paying him after his motorcycle accident when they didn't have to.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
I think Soldier is a jagoff and as much as I hate the Browns, I don't really hate Savage too much. But I have to side with Winslow on this. 6 other Browns players have had staph infections, Winslow gets one, and the Browns treat it like a cover up to save their own asses. If I were Winslow, I'd get pissed too. So instead of the Browns owning up to what happened, they suspend Winslow and create a diversion. That's fucked.

May 2, 2002
Weird…usually I’m the one defending Winslow!

On Friday before the Redskins game he defended the team about not disclosing what he had and said something like…just because I catch a football doesn’t mean I have to tell you about my medical life.

So AFTER the Redskins game he says all this? Doesn’t make sense.

The problem I have is that if you are REALLY that concerned about the players…why not have a team meeting (even though they have one every week).

Going to the media and saying you are being treated like a piece of meat has nothing to do with getting staph.
Complaining that your GM didn’t call you in the hospital has nothing to do with getting staph.
Saying that this isn’t about getting a NEW CONTRACT has nothing to do with getting staph.
Saying that you were thinking about requesting A TRADE has nothing to do with getting staph.

If it was all about getting staph and his concern for the team he could have done and said things a lot differently.

For starters…why blame the GM? He doesn’t own them team or the facility. Go to the owner if you are THAT concerned.

Oct 19, 2004
SOUTHEAST DAGO
I think Soldier is a jagoff and as much as I hate the Browns, I don't really hate Savage too much. But I have to side with Winslow on this. 6 other Browns players have had staph infections, Winslow gets one, and the Browns treat it like a cover up to save their own asses. If I were Winslow, I'd get pissed too. So instead of the Browns owning up to what happened, they suspend Winslow and create a diversion. That's fucked.

lmao @"soldier"

"IM A FUCKEN SOLDIER!" that line always kills me.