Broncos WR Kenny McKinley dead at 23

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Dana Dane

RIP Vallejo Kid
May 3, 2002
Denver Broncos wide receiver Kenny McKinley died on Monday. He was 23.

The Arapahoe County sheriff's office confirmed the death to the Denver Post. The team announced it was "deeply saddened" after being informed.

Officials have not confirmed the cause of death. Arapahoe County sheriff Grayson Robinson told the Post that McKinley's death looked like a suicide.

"It was apparently a suicide, but we're still investigating," Robinson told the paper.

Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels remembered McKinley fondly.

"Kenny had a promising future on the football field, but more importantly, he was a great teammate whose smile and personality could light up the room," McDaniels said in a statement. "This is a tragic loss for our football team, and his family is in all of our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time."

McKinley was drafted 141st overall in the fifth round in 2009. The Broncos had placed him on injured reserve on Aug. 5 with a knee ailment. He appeared in eight games for the Broncos in 2009 but did not catch any passes.

McKinley is the third Broncos player to die since 2007. On Jan. 1, 2007, Broncos CB Darrent Williams was murdered in a drive-by shooting after leaving a New Year's party. Less than two months later, RB Damien Nash collapsed and died during a charity basketball event.

LIST: McKinley is 10th NFL player to die since 2007

He's the second NFL player to die during 2010. Chicago Bears DE Gaines Adams died in January after falling into cardiac arrest.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
Players would rather kill themselves than be a Denver Bronco......

Ok, that was brutally harsh, and when I first heard the news I was taken back from the loss of life, and it must truly hurt for Denver fans to see so many lives lost recently. I wouldn't wish death upon anyone, and I'm glad we're not facing the broncos next weeks cuz they're gonna play with fire in their hearts for their fallen comrade.

RIP

May 13, 2002
^

Reading it was a suicide.
It's what he wanted, so good for him.
^^

Players would rather kill themselves than be a Denver Bronco......

Ok, that was brutally harsh, and when I first heard the news I was taken back from the loss of life, and it must truly hurt for Denver fans to see so many lives lost recently. I wouldn't wish death upon anyone, and I'm glad we're not facing the broncos next weeks cuz they're gonna play with fire in their hearts for their fallen comrade.

RIP
lol goddamn.

we'll see bout that, they got manning an the colts coming to town.

after what freeney an mathis did to eli, i wonder if they'll get to orton too.

not to mention peyton looks to be in form.

:siccness:

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
honestly I didn't know who the broncos were gonna play next week, but if its gonna be in Denver then I'd put my money on the donkeys to at least cover the spread if not win. Colts are vicious tho, it would suck for it to be a memorial where y'all got stomped too.

Mar 16, 2005
sucks, great young man, seemed to be a very happy person. I wish he would have reached out to the orginization or any 1 of the millions of fans who would not hesitate to help a player in need.

Williams was an act of cowardness, nash was an unforeseen health issue, but this......this could have been prevented had he spoke with someone, reached out. it was a permanent solution to a temporary problem. just came back from spending time with family, brought his young son home with him Sunday night...why? I hate to use this term, especially so soon, but it was a very selfish thing for him to do. no family, friends teammates are all left with no answers, and im sure the feeling of helplessness and selfishness as they too are wondering why didnt they see it coming, etc...

All on a night when several ex and currrent Broncos were out raising money for the D-Will boys and Girls club too and mrs. williams was in town.

r.i.p. d-will, d nash and now McKinley