Boxer dies five days after title bout in Dallas

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

caff

Sicc OG
May 10, 2002
DALLAS (AP) - Boxer Benjamin Flores has died five days after he was hospitalized following a title bout with Al Seeger in a Dallas hotel.

Bout supervisor Bob Lenhardt says the 25-year-old Flores died Tuesday at Parkland Hospital.

Referee Laurence Cole awarded the victory to Seeger in the eighth round of the North American Boxing Federation fight Thursday night at the Hilton Anatole hotel.

Lenhardt said the Houston fighter was helped to his stool before lying down. Lenhardt said doctors rushed to his side and Flores appeared unconscious when removed on a stretcher.

The fight was for the vacant NABF super bantamweight title. Flores was 19-3 and weighed 122 pounds. Seeger is from Savannah, Ga.

benjamin flores left...

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
rip. very sad. i didnt see the fight but wonder if it wasnt stopped too late.
I haven't seen the fight yet (not sure if it was even aired anywhere) but I hope that wasn't the case. Cole is a horrible referee though and I wouldn't be surprised if such was the case. In a Marquez fight, I think it was his fight against Jaca, Marquez got cut and when Cole took him to see the doctor, Cole told Marquez something like "it was a headbutt and you're winning the fight if you want to stop." Luckily Marquez ain't no bitch and kept fighting and ended up stopped Jaca but I don't know how Cole keeps getting work as a referee.