books/articles about Chicano history?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
anyone recommend any? this summer I'm gonna sit down and study more on this subject. for example Cesar Chavez and the farmworker movement, the Chicano Power movement in the 1960s, the Brown Berets, the Zoot Suit riots, etc.

Apr 25, 2002
check these books out...

How Did You Get To Be Mexican? by Kevin Johnson - autobiography of a mexican/white man who is born in so. cal. and eventually goes to harvard for law school and how he deals with being mexican and white....

Rain Of Gold by Victor Villasenor - story of the villasenor family and their trip to the united states from mexico during the mexican revolution

Thirteen Senses by Victor Villasenor - continuation of rain of gold, begins with his parents wedding...

The History of Alta California by Rose Marie Beebe and Robert M. Senkewicz - about the major mexican families in california during the mexican period before ca becomes a state and is still under mexican rule

Ambivalent Conquests by Inga Clendinnen - book about the spaniards and their conquest of the mayans 1517-1570

The Fight In The Fields : Cesar Chavez by Susan Ferriss and Ricardo Sandoval - biography of Chavez' life

those are just a few that i like, i've read so many of em that those are the ones that come to mind quickly...

LMD

Apr 25, 2002
LMD1510 said:
check these books out...

How Did You Get To Be Mexican? by Kevin Johnson - autobiography of a mexican/white man who is born in so. cal. and eventually goes to harvard for law school and how he deals with being mexican and white....

Rain Of Gold by Victor Villasenor - story of the villasenor family and their trip to the united states from mexico during the mexican revolution

Thirteen Senses by Victor Villasenor - continuation of rain of gold, begins with his parents wedding...

The History of Alta California by Rose Marie Beebe and Robert M. Senkewicz - about the major mexican families in california during the mexican period before ca becomes a state and is still under mexican rule

Ambivalent Conquests by Inga Clendinnen - book about the spaniards and their conquest of the mayans 1517-1570

The Fight In The Fields : Cesar Chavez by Susan Ferriss and Ricardo Sandoval - biography of Chavez' life

those are just a few that i like, i've read so many of em that those are the ones that come to mind quickly...

LMD
good lookin out

you know any books on the Chicano Power movement of the 1960s and 70s, for example the Brown Berets? Or the Chicano Moratorium project against the Vietnam War?

I came across these on amazon.com, they look interesting, anyone read these??

Chicano! The Story of the Mexican-American Civil Rights Movement by Francisco Rosales

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...4464220/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_2/104-1145334-9471910

Memories of Chicano History : The Life and Narrative of Bert Corona by Mario T. Garcia, David Montgomery

Apr 25, 2002
i have read articles about the movements in the 60s and the zoot suit riots in some chicano studies classes and california history classes, but I don't have the names of them off hand....

most of the articles I have are from readers from the classes I have taken...

check out those books though, and look on half.com to get em real cheap...