Bonzi Wells to the Kings

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 15, 2002
Kinda interesting trade - Memphis is getting 4 players, think memphis got the better of this 3 team trade

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Bonzi Wells is no longer Jerry West's headache.

Bonzi Wells
Shooting Guard
Memphis Grizzlies

2004-2005 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
69 10.4 3.3 1.2 .441 .750

ESPN.com has confirmed that the Memphis Grizzlies have agreed to exercise an $8 million option and send the disgruntled swingman to the Sacramento Kings in a three-way deal with the Utah Jazz.

The trade was first reported by the Memphis Commercial Appeal.

The deal cannot be announced until the NBA finalizes its collective bargaining agreement.

The Kings will send guard Bobby Jackson to the Grizzlies -- a moved Jackson also confirmed to SportsTicker -- and center Greg Ostertag back to Utah for a second tour of duty with the Jazz.

Utah also would send guard Raul Lopez and Kirk Snyder and forward Chris Borchardt to Memphis.

West, the Grizzlies' president, had been trying to deal the 6-foot-7 Wells since he was removed from the squad during this past season's playoffs. The 29-year-old Wells averaged 10.4 points -- his lowest mark since the 1999-2000 campaign with the Portland Trail Blazers -- in 69 games for the Grizzlies last season.

The 32-year-old Jackson had been a valuable contributor off the Kings' bench in recent seasons but, slowed by numerous injuries, averaged just 12.0 points in 25 games this past campaign.

May 21, 2004
We knew it was gonna happen sooner or later. Bobby was gonna be leaving the Kings...my fav player on the team...It's all good though. He was underpaid and needed a different team to grow and further develope as a player. No more playing behind Mike Bibby.

Jul 28, 2002
kingstalk.com
Memphis took a chance her taking players whos contracts will be coming off the book after this coming season, while the Kings got a good addition starting SG in onzi for OsterFAT and an injury prone Jackson. What I don't understand is how the Jazz took back Ostertag for more money then they could have paid him when he first came to Sac last off season. Beats me what was going through their minds over there in Utah. IMO Kings got the best deal out of this trade, with Memphis ins econd with the contracts coming off the books next season. While Utah just blew my mind with this tarde. I DO NOT understand whatsoever WTF they were thinking. But all in all that's their problem I'm completely happy with this tarde. God bless petrie.

Jul 28, 2002
kingstalk.com
caffeine said:
good or bad trade for the kings fans ?
Good IMO. Bobbys getting old, and has been injury prone the past 2 seasons. And even if he did have a good year this season, he would have been leaving Sac anyways cause his contract would have been up and he would be wanting more then the Kings could pay him. As far as Ostertag goes.. do I even need to explain? lol
Bonzi may have just found himself a long term home in this league. If he can live up to his potential which I truly think he will with the Adelman minutes he will be given then the Kings definately need to re-sign him next off-season when his contract runs out.
Just my 2 centz...