Actor Facing Murder Rap: I'm No Monster

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 11, 2002

Lillo Brancato, Jr. is shown in this Feb. 2005, file photo in New York. The former "Sopranos" actor who faces a real-life murder charge in a New York police officer's death, said he isn't the thug he believes he has been made out to be. "I'm not the monster that they portray me as in newspapers, a cold-blooded killer and all of that. I'm not that person at all," he told WCBS-TV in a jail interview that aired Thursday, Feb. 22, 2007. (AP Photo/File, David Greene)

Actor Facing Murder Rap: I'm No Monster
Friday, February 23, 2007 10:45 AM EST
The Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) — Former "Sopranos" actor Lillo Brancato Jr., who faces a real-life murder charge in a police officer's death, said he isn't the thug he believes he has been made out to be.

"I'm not the monster that they portray me as in newspapers, a cold-blooded killer and all of that. I'm not that person at all," he told WCBS-TV in a jail interview that aired Thursday.

Brancato and a co-defendant are awaiting trial in the December 2005 shooting of Officer Daniel Enchautegui, who was shot while off-duty.

Prosecutors said Enchautegui confronted Brancato and Steven Armento while they were breaking into a Bronx apartment in search of prescription drugs. Armento is accused of firing the fatal shot.

"I know in my heart I was in no way responsible for the death of that police officer," Brancato told WCBS. His lawyer barred questions about the shooting, according to the television station.

Brancato made his debut starring opposite Robert De Niro in "A Bronx Tale" in 1993. Brancato went on to appear in more than a dozen movies and had a recurring role as a would-be mobster on HBO's "The Sopranos."

Dec 17, 2004
how are they gonna prosecute colorgero?! sure he killed someone, but remember when he had to drop the dime on sonny and he didnt? then he keeps asking "ovo a pawking space?" that kid was too cute to send to prison

May 11, 2002
Missing juror for `Sopranos' trial found in jail
Tuesday, December 2, 2008 1:00 PM EST
The Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) — A juror was AWOL for the murder trial of a former "Sopranos" actor but he has turned up — behind bars.

The juror was absent Monday when court opened for the trial of actor Lillo Brancato and testimony had to be delayed until the man was replaced with an alternate.

Court officials said the juror was arrested during the weekend after being accused of punching his 15-year-old stepson in the face.

Word of his arrest didn't reach the court until Monday.

Prosecutors allege that Brancato — who got his start in the film "A Bronx Tale" and later appeared in "The Sopranos" — was involved in the killing of an off-duty police officer while trying to get drugs.

The defense says the true culprit was Brancato's co-defendant, who was convicted on Oct. 30.