About how much does it to put a cd out

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

mo-x

Sicc OG
May 4, 2002
www.unknownterritoryrecords.com
depends on what route you go. if you're trying to stay as independent as possible, it's expensive. because you gotta pay for studio time, beats if you aren't skilled in the sacred art of beat making, and then promotional & duplication costs... there really isn't an exact figure but there are tons of hidden costs everywhere. this is assuming you don't have any equipment. hard question to answer. you just gotta do it and learn from your first round mistakes.

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
There are alot of different things that can increase the cost of a CD. Studio time......beats......features. Mixdown and mastering. Clear trays....full color inserts, traycards or disc imprint......# of pages. Then you need to factor in the price of photography......art design for the CD, posters and fliers.....and the actual printing of posters and fliers. Everything that you spend money on in connection with that project is considered a part of the cost......and is RECOUPABLE.

The lowest amount I spent on a project was about $3,500 on our first CD. The most I spent was roughly $8,500 on the IK album. But I didn't have to worry about beats and studio time. So that cut my costs significantly.

Discmakers are the biggest rip-off artists in the industry.

tadou

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
Mr. D-Sane said:
Everything that you spend money on in connection with that project is considered a part of the cost......and is RECOUPABLE.
I hate the "R" word :(

Sidebar...check out http://www.slavesnomore.bigstep.com/ for a huge amount of articles about the music business including Finding a manager, Hiring a lawyer, What is a production deal?, how to file for copyrights, etc....Lots of goodies to keep prices down and productivity up......enjoy :cheeky:

Apr 25, 2002
www.nightshield.net
Mr. D-Sane said:
There are alot of different things that can increase the cost of a CD. Studio time......beats......features. Mixdown and mastering. Clear trays....full color inserts, traycards or disc imprint......# of pages. Then you need to factor in the price of photography......art design for the CD, posters and fliers.....and the actual printing of posters and fliers. Everything that you spend money on in connection with that project is considered a part of the cost......and is RECOUPABLE.

Discmakers are the biggest rip-off artists in the industry.
True that!! I just got done doing all that shit and am about to start doing it again. People dont realize how much time & money go into this shit, it aint easy that's for sure.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
Studio time & mixing + mastering + if you ain't got a producer then theres some more bills, cd manufacturing & distribution etc..

it all adds up... allot of the time most peeps put it on loans and end up not selling as much as they thought and get into a big debt problem, gotta be aware man... search around for some good hookups, compare businesses etc... then plan it out.