7 rich athletes who lost their fortunes

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 6, 2005
Why do I feel like some of yall feel bad for these guys? They're idiots, or just really really, really really, down on their luck. They should be thankful for the oppurtunity they had and be sweeping our sidewalks right now. Instead they're filing for bankruptcy and doing tv interviews and Oprah specials so that they can make money on how idiotic they were and not work. The eses down the block looking for ANYTHING they can get for a wage deserve more respect then these cockroaches.

Bourgeois?

Fuck them.

Why is it someone's responsibility to teach these guys that they could live off one year's salary for the rest of their life? If you made $10M a year would YOU go blow money on a corporate jet or invest in your family, your responsibility. God can only hope Latrell Sprewell Jr. has a college education fund.

Im sorry but this shit is ridiculous. Mike Tyson can come clean my room if he want to live lavish. But you know what? He's Mike Tyson, he can surround himself with bad people and his name and make money off appearances in comedies about middle-aged upper class white bachelors going to Vegas and listening to Usher for the weekend. If only the WBA had a class so he could learn to have a savings account while he was busy kicking ass and raping and pillaging women...
Wow... Some of these cats got swindled out of their money... Dudes on here talkin' about what they would do with millions... Yet don't know any trust worthy accountants, let alone where to find one... It's not easy managin' that kind of money... So some KID from the South Side of Chicago who grew up on food stamps is supposed to know how to navigate the world of hedge funds & Bull markets because he signs an NBA contract for $50 Million...????? That logic is off... Bernie Madoff stole millions of dollars from average everyday folks... And they, like these former athletes, are now broke... It's easy to write these former stars off as idiots or losers... But there's more to it than that... Fa'real...

Oct 23, 2009
Wow... Some of these cats got swindled out of their money... Dudes on here talkin' about what they would do with millions... Yet don't know any trust worthy accountants, let alone where to find one... It's not easy managin' that kind of money... So some KID from the South Side of Chicago who grew up on food stamps is supposed to know how to navigate the world of hedge funds & Bull markets because he signs an NBA contract for $50 Million...????? That logic is off... Bernie Madoff stole millions of dollars from average everyday folks... And they, like these former athletes, are now broke... It's easy to write these former stars off as idiots or losers... But there's more to it than that... Fa'real...
You do make some good points because many of these kids have never dreamed of having this kind of money so naturally they don't know how to invest wisely or who to trust. If it was me personally, I would want to know where my cash was and not just rely on an accountant to make sure my bills were taken care of at the end of the day. One problem is that these young players think they know everything and should start by looking for advice in older teammates who have been there and done that. I remember a Warren Sapp interview about a year ago where he was talking about trying to give advice to Tommy Kelly and others but they didn't want to hear it....and this guy was one of the best for so long.....so fuck them if they can't manage their finances, the resources are always there.

Nov 24, 2003

Yeah it is fucking stupid easy to manage that kind of money.

Put it in the God Damn bank and live comfortably off the interest for the rest of your life.

Not only is this entirely their fault, they had more than enough opportunities to take the very same classes that you are all advocating be mandatory. Or did they not know college existed.

Our world could use a lot more accountability.

"it's not my fault I am fat, no one told me if I eat 5 Big Macs every day I will be fat"

"it's not my fault I am poor, no one told me if I spend all my money I won't have it any more"

"it's not my fault my dog attacked your kid, no one told me if I left it chained up 12 hours a day that it would become hostile and aggressive"

blah.

Mar 16, 2005
umm no, dont understand it dont get into it! there is such a thing has just having money in the bank.

and your post has nothing to do with some of the stupid shit they have bought. it has nothing to do with funds and market etc...its about blowing thier cash because they have it. MOst of these stories dont involve mrket crash, they involve $250000+ cars $2mil+ houses, boats, jets, gambling etc...

Oct 6, 2005
Yeah it is fucking stupid easy to manage that kind of money.

Put it in the God Damn bank and live comfortably off the interest for the rest of your life.

Not only is this entirely their fault, they had more than enough opportunities to take the very same classes that you are all advocating be mandatory. Or did they not know college existed.

Our world could use a lot more accountability.

"it's not my fault I am fat, no one told me if I eat 5 Big Macs every day I will be fat"

"it's not my fault I am poor, no one told me if I spend all my money I won't have it any more"

"it's not my fault my dog attacked your kid, no one told me if I left it chained up 12 hours a day that it would become hostile and aggressive"

blah.
Nah, it aint easy to manage that kind of money... California, broke...! The fed, broke...! All had more money than any of these dudes...

Oct 6, 2005
umm no, dont understand it dont get into it! there is such a thing has just having money in the bank.

and your post has nothing to do with some of the stupid shit they have bought. it has nothing to do with funds and market etc...its about blowing thier cash because they have it. MOst of these stories dont involve mrket crash, they involve $250000+ cars $2mil+ houses, boats, jets, gambling etc...
Umm no... According to this article, Scottie Pippen lost $27 million on bad investments & poor financial plannin'... Holyfield made "Smart business decisions look bad..." And Lenny Dykstra owned car washes, a magazine company, and a real estate firm... And while Sprewell said he couldn't live off of a $21 million contract his 'lavish spending' (a boat & a house) totaled $7 million... Only a fraction of his $96 million earnings... And while to some it appears this article is about dudes blowin' cash simply because they had it... To others it's about cats who had no idea how to make their money double, triple, or grow... Some, like Lenny Dykstra tried their best but failed... Others, like Latrell Sprewell were simply short sighted...