I thought we had a thread about District 9 in here? - Thread contains spoilers

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
District 9 Rises From Ashes of Halo

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/07/district-9-rises-from-ashes-of-halo/

SAN DIEGO — Peter Jackson and Neill Blomkamp were in New Zealand three years ago doing preproduction on what they thought was going to be the big-budget movie adaptation of Halo. Instead, they wound up giving birth to District 9. Produced by Jackson and directed by Blomkamp, the much-anticipated science fiction-with-a-message movie hit theaters Aug. 14.

In a press conference Friday, Jackson explained the project’s genesis. “When Halo suddenly died, it was a bit of a shock but we thought: Let’s make an original, low-budget film — something where we won’t have to deal with a lot of studio politics.”

Alive in Jo’Burg, a short faux documentary shot by South African native Blomkamp in Johannesburg a few years earlier, filled the bill. District 9 expands on the short film’s premise: that aliens from outer space are treated just as poorly as illegal immigrants. “We wanted to tell a sort of small, contained story set against an epic background,” said Blomkamp.

District 9 marks the feature film debut of Blomkamp, who is not widely known to the general movie-going audience. The cast, including Blomkamp’s childhood friend Sharito Copley, also lacks marquee names. To boost awareness, Sony’s marketing department produced an unusually intriguing series of trailers. “The guys from Sony flew out to visit us with this whole campaign that really captured the essence of the film, which is, I suppose, about segregation,” Blomkamp said.

Nov 20, 2005
^ thanks CB. I saw the preview for this and I thought to myself, "of course as always, someone just wants to go home and this country keeps them here against their will."

now that i know what it is based off of, it makes me want to see the movie that much more. but for some reason, men in black comes to mind...

~k.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
We got it but I had to do actual work because I was lead last night so I didn't get to screen it. Everyone seemed to love it coming out of the movie and two people who have very similar taste in movies as I do caught the midnight and said it was great. I'll be checking it out within the next few days for sure.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Or if you ever are downtown go to the Meridian 16 and ask if Cory is working and I can get you in for free 2-0-Sixx.

Hahaha, I usually ask over the radio for the box to ask who is there for me. I can picture them being like "It's, ummm, what did you say sir? Ummm... 2-0-Sixx is here for you?"

lol

Jun 13, 2002
siccness.net
Or if you ever are downtown go to the Meridian 16 and ask if Cory is working and I can get you in for free 2-0-Sixx.

Hahaha, I usually ask over the radio for the box to ask who is there for me. I can picture them being like "It's, ummm, what did you say sir? Ummm... 2-0-Sixx is here for you?"

lol
I swear I'll show up drunk one day saying 2-0-Sixx.

or Tadou.

What days you usually work?