Top 5 lists – Top 5 Hip Hop Movies

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
Top 5 lists

Pretty simple

This is going to be a recurring opportunity for people in this forum to offer a list of their Top 5 films or things related to a film within a certain genera or subject (ex. Top 5 Gangster Movies, Top 5 Performances by a Rapper, Top 5 De Niro scenes, Top 5 Space Movies without an Alien in them, etc). Every couple weeks or so I’ll post up a thread with a specific subject and you post your Top 5 for that subject; easy.

The object is to present an in depth reasoning for your choices. If you just list 5 movies I will delete your post. Tell us what makes you like the movie so much. Maybe there is a personal connection to the movie – you saw it during a special time in your life or a scene reminds you of something special to you. What sends the movie over the top for you and makes it so perfect for the list. The acting is especially good, the cinematography, the score, whatever. Maybe it is just generally a great movie that happens to fit the criteria.

Number your list don’t just throw down 5 movies. They should be ranked with 1 being the best possible fit, in your opinion, for this list. If you just list 5 movies it defeats the purpose and will be deleted.

Keep it spoiler free. Be courteous to your forum friends who have not yet seen the movie. Every list you post you should assume you are introducing people to the movie for the first time or pitching to them why they should see it. If you must use a spoiler please mark it clearly so other can avoid it.

Be creative and use clips, trailers, songs, whatever if you are so inclined.

Dec 11, 2006
1)Belly- it came out at an awesome time for hip hop starring some of the biggest names and directed by Hype Williams
2)Boyz n the hood- not sure if this is what your looking for in a HIP HOP movie but i do consider it as one. One of my favorite movies for its grittiness and gave people a look at what life was like in South Central in the early 90s.
3)Prison Song- its a hip hop influenced movie with a couple stars but its a musical also. kinda through me off at first but the movie is intense with Q-tip, mary j, and fat joe
4)Thicker than water-Mack 10 n Fat joe are long lost brothers but gang rivals. dialogue is super cheesy but i love it cuz once i start watching i cant stop laughing
5)Breakin 2- its just a classic to me. Classic music, dancing, and just fun to watch

honorable mentions- CB4 and The Show

Apr 25, 2002
5. Menace II Society

Going a little off with this one, but I don’t think you can dispute the influence hip hop had on this movie and how much influence this movie came to have on hip hop. It came out at a good time in my life where music was growing in importance. Maybe you could say Boyz In The Hood was a better movie, but for entertainment value it’s gotta be Menace for me. Liked the soundtrack and it made all of us like MC Eiht and Spice 1, just that much more. Some nice rapper cameos. And really, who didn’t wanna be as bad ass as O dog doin his Killer impression at the end?

[video=youtube;nrVCRQd1ugU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrVCRQd1ugU[/video]

4. The Freshest Kids

First documentary on the list of many. Here begins the themes you’ll see running through the majority of my picks – authenticity and the elements. Often over looked in modern times as a relic of the past now girls are taking “hip hop dance” classes that don’t pop and lock and certainly don’t break and I think “that’s not hip hop dance”. I remember when people who wouldn’t go near the music thought breaking was the coolest thing. It peaked hard and never really came back to that level since. This film takes a look back and a look forward with some great footage and essential interviews with luminaries of the art.

[video=youtube;2Yv3d8KTwSQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yv3d8KTwSQ[/video]

3. Infamy

Graffiti has to be the most controversial Hip Hop element and this film doesn’t lessen the controversy, but what it does is personalize it. You get inside the mind and experiences of some of the top Graffiti writers out and even a guy that goes out and paints over all the Graffiti he can find to clean things up. With the fame of Bansky and the whole “street art” being somehow legitimate faze this movie is honest and genuine to the art without pulling any punches. People may not walk away from the movie any more accepting of Graffiti, but I think it does challenge them and I like to think, by the end, create understanding. In the long run understanding might just be more important. I think this is another well done documentary with some great access and even a nice soundtrack. For me I can watch this movie without wanting to run out at night and bomb the whole city.

[video=youtube;vTcMqhBgTrQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTcMqhBgTrQ[/video]

2. Wild Style

I was barely alive for this era of Hip Hop, but this movie keeps it alive for me to experience in some way. From battles in the park to Grandmaster Flash scratching in a kitchen the continuing theme of being “authentic” running among my picks is apparent here again. Plays like a documentary and considering the era, the budget, and the equipment I think it stands up well. Wild Style should be on the list, if for no other reason, than the influence it had, not just on hip hop movies, but hip hop as a whole.

1. Scratch

This is one of my favorite documentary films ever, not just as a Hip Hop film. Just about every notable DJ from the start of Hip Hop is featured in some way in this film. Often over looked for the MC, the DJ is the backbone and this movie highlights the DJ in the best way possible. I’ve found this film makes people appreciate the DJ as a legit musician and performer and is a gate way film for introducing people to the genre.

[video=youtube;G_u7s8NDz9o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_u7s8NDz9o[/video]

Nov 7, 2006
well shit if movies count that have nothing to really do with hiphop but influence it then my list goes like this

1. Scarface - Best overall movie IMO and IMO had more influence on rap then most urban black cinema movies did.
2. Boys N The Hood - Great movie and a realistic look at what the "Hood" can be like
3. Menace To Society - same can be said about this
4. Belly - Ton of rappers in it and a i love the style of this movie mostly. the acting/story is over the top though.
5. Friday - Reminds me of where i live and the things that seem normal to some can actually be movie worthy to others
6. 8 Mile - Only movie on my list about hiphop and IMO deserved more credit than it gets. i think its better then the wrestler.

added 6 just incase scarface doesnt count for some reason.

honorable mention is Higher Learning, pretty decent film about struggles of the youth back in the 90s.

Dead Blue

Smokin Bud
Nov 14, 2008
CALIFORNIA
1.Menace II Society
2.Belly
...cant say I've seen any others that are good. I know you wanted reasoning but I don't think the above to really need any explanation.
Okay thought about it some more.

1.Menace II Society
2.Belly
3.Above The Rim
4.Never Die Alone - Dope gangsta flick starring DMX, worth buying a cheap used copy and viewing
5.First Time Felon - Gangsta movie with Treach of Naught by Nature in it. Chicago gangsta shit. First time I saw this film, I was locked up and they used it to "persuade" youths off the path they were on.

Nov 14, 2002
1.beat street - no gay azz musical just a straight up good hiphop movie.

2. house party - 1 & 2 - funny

3.get rich or die tryin - people hate 50 but that is a good movie.

4.crush groovin - LL cool J scene alone put that movie on my list

5. a day in the life of sticky fingaz - all the talking is rappin and flows perfect with the movie.

Apr 25, 2002
and none of them had a main role. thats all i'm saying.
I'm trying to resist the urge to call you fucking retarded so excuse me if this sounds a bit impolite.

Have you seen the movie? Because I'm thinking you haven't. MC Eiht has as important and as big a role in that movie as anyone other than the 3 main stars. Do you know the background of this film? Who was supposed to play the two lead roles in the movie? What kind of music dominates the soundtrack to this film? What kind of life style is depicted in the film? Is that life style influenced by and also represented in the music that dominates the soundtrack of this film? What urban "culture" founded on for elements is the basis for that music?

And again, you bring this actor criteria up as if it is some how a way to argue that Menace isn't a hip hop movie so that you can include Scarface on your list. The two aren't even close. By this point I wonder if you've even ever seen Scarface.

Nov 14, 2002
www.viiicdesign.com
Beat Street - Has all the hip hop elements in this film: break dancing, graffiti, Dj'ing and rapping.

Bomb It - Gives a history of graffiti and showcases different graf artists like cope, Ram el zee and it breaks down the different types of graffiti.

Menace To Society - I first watched this movie when I was in highschool and it really reminded me of the type of music I was listening to at the time and the street mindset(drinking, rap, weed).

Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood - This is one of my favorite comedy movies. It makes fun of all the various hood movies that had came out and this movie has so many quotables. The dialogue in this movie has become part of my everyday lingo. It has various hip hop/rap songs sprinkled through out different scenes.

Hustle and Flow - This movie had a well written story, the acting was great and the music was sick. My favorite scene was when DJ was recording the "Hard out here for a pimp song". All around great movie.

Nov 7, 2006
I'm trying to resist the urge to call you fucking retarded so excuse me if this sounds a bit impolite.

Have you seen the movie? Because I'm thinking you haven't. MC Eiht has as important and as big a role in that movie as anyone other than the 3 main stars. Do you know the background of this film? Who was supposed to play the two lead roles in the movie? What kind of music dominates the soundtrack to this film? What kind of life style is depicted in the film? Is that life style influenced by and also represented in the music that dominates the soundtrack of this film? What urban "culture" founded on for elements is the basis for that music?

And again, you bring this actor criteria up as if it is some how a way to argue that Menace isn't a hip hop movie so that you can include Scarface on your list. The two aren't even close. By this point I wonder if you've even ever seen Scarface.

look i dont consider either movies hiphop movies but since menace was mentioned i figured scarface can hold a torch aswell. i dont remember who was suppose to play caine but i do know tupac was suppose to play o-dog. scarface has no rappers in it or no rap in the soundtracks but scarface had heavy influence on what rappers rapped about and even how they dressed. i feel it had equal if not more influence on hiphop so to say menace is a hiphop movie then so is scarface IMO. also just for a little proof i've scene the movies imma add this with your lil ninja in the pic.

Apr 25, 2002
look i dont consider either movies hiphop movies but since menace was mentioned i figured scarface can hold a torch aswell.
well shit if movies count that have nothing to really do with hiphop but influence it then my list goes like this
Again, I disagree that Menace has nothing to do with hip hop but influence. I think I've shown that pretty clearly by this point.

Scarface's influence on hip hop isn't in dispute (which I why I didn't delete your post because it is a relevant pick). Personally I wouldn't include it and especially wouldn't put it at number 1, but that's your pick so it is up to you.

scarface has no rappers in it or no rap in the soundtracks
and no hip hop culture in it which is why I wouldn't include it in a list like this.

i dont remember who was suppose to play caine
Spice 1