The Recommend A Foreign Movie Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
Let me start with this classic:

Dead Or Alive

Tagline: WARNING: This motion picture contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.

Plot: Without a home and feeling no obligation to Japanese society or Yakuza, Ryuichi (Takeuchi Riki) and his small group decide to make their own place by trying to take over the Shinjuku underworld and the drug trade from Taiwan. As they plan an all-out-assault on the remaining Chinese and Japanese mafia kings, only Detective Jojima (Aikawa Sho) stands between them and complete domination.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0221111/combined

Jul 6, 2002
That is a good movie to start with other than Battle Royale...
Recommend anything by Takashi, or Kitano (Brother, Fireworks,ect...)
Last foreign film i saw was Let The Right One In....one of the best Vampire movies to date..or so they say. I thought it was good but they left out alot of stuff from the book. Anyway just my .02 and yes i have more pennies to add...i love foreign films.

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
One of my fav movies:

Sword Of Doom

Plot: Ryunosuke is a sociopathic samurai without compassion or scruples. When he is scheduled for an exhibition match at his fencing school, the wife of his opponent begs Ryunosuke to throw the match, offering her own virtue in trade. Ryunosuke accepts her offer, but kills her husband in the match. Over time, Ryunosuke is pursued by the brother of the man he killed. The brother trains with the master fencer Shimada. In the meantime, however, Ryunosuke earns the enmity of the band of assassins he runs with, and it becomes a question of who shall face him in final conflict.

May 9, 2002
This and the other two in the revenge trilogy, Mr. Vengeance and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance.

And while we are talking about Park Chan-wook, also check out JSA....REAL good film:

From Japanese director, Ryuhei Kitamura:

And another of his films, Aragami:

A Chinese flick, Fulltime Killer:

Another South Korean film, Memories of Murder:

And if you liked The Departed, do yourself a favor and see the original movies that Martin ripped off:

I have others, but ill let some more folks do their thing.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Záhrada (The Garden ) (1995) - Martin Sulík

Jakub's life arrived at a dead-end. He leaves his job, and gets into conflict with his father. The trouble just grows by his relation with a married woman. Breaking out, Jakub realizes the pleasures of the countryside in the old garden of his grandfather. He finds true love with an angel, and encounters various exciting moments of his new free life. Strange visitors arrive, and he wont get back to town anymore.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Les Démons de Jésus (1997) - Bernie Bonvoisin

Filled with references and language that will be most meaningful to those intimate with the French language and culture, this gritty outing attempts to paint a dignified but funny portrait of a poor, dysfunctional family during the winter of 1968. The Jacobs currently reside in a grim industrial junkyard on the outskirts of Paris. Jesus is a bit of a hippy with his long hair, loud, hip clothing and wild man ways. His father is an alcoholic and his mother is utterly passive. His brother Nene fancies himself a '50s-style greaser. Only his stepsister Marie, an early women's libber shows the slightest inclination toward work. Were it not for her income, the family would be destitute. Jesus' brother Ernest is the family star because he earned a scholarship to a university in Paris. Jesus and Nene frequently drink at the grungy Elvis bar with their sex-crazy, paraplegiac friend Levrette. Conflicts arise when Jesus falls for the free-spirited supermarket cashier Mathilde, the sister of the insanely jealous Gerard. He and Jesus immediately become bitter rivals, something that earns the contempt of Mathilde. But the real trouble doesn't begin until someone savagely rapes Marie. Afterwards, Jesus and Nene team up to get revenge.