R.I.P. Ron Lester aka "Billy Bob" (Varsity Blues)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 29, 2016
Kansas City, MO
Ron Lester, the actor best known for playing Billy Bob in Varsity Blues, died Friday of liver and kidney failure, his agent Dave Bradley confirmed to EW. He was 45 years old.

Lester was moved from the intensive care unit to hospice care in a Dallas hospital Friday.

Lester grew up in Georgia, the son of a truck driver and artist. He began his acting career in the Nickelodeon-produced movie, Good Burger, in 1997.

He followed that up playing the large offensive lineman Billy Bob in 1999's Varsity Blues. The lumbering player stood out for his comedy, complexity, and for scoring the game-winning touchdown in the District Championship Game. The gig was close to real life for Lester.

"I had the same feelings that my character had," he told Movieweb earlier this year. "Jon Voight is like a father figure to me and after doing this movie, he's just the greatest mentor I had. There were times, like in those scenes where he was chewing me out, I allowed the emotion to come out, because it was real."