KILLING RICHARD GLOSSIP

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
Killing Richard Glossip | Watch Full Episodes & More! - Investigation Discovery

Richard Eugene Glossip (born February 9, 1963) is an American man currently sitting on death row at Oklahoma State Penitentiary after being convicted of commissioning the 1997 murder of Barry Van Treese.[2] Justin Sneed, the man who murdered Van Treese, agreed to plead guilty in exchange for testifying against Glossip, and received a sentence of life without parole.[2] Glossip is the recipient of international attention due to the unusual nature of his conviction, for which there is little or no additional corroborating evidence.[3][4][5][6]

Glossip is notable for his role as named plaintiff in the 2015 Supreme Court case Glossip v. Gross, which ruled that executions carried out by a three-drug protocol of midazolam, pancuronium bromide, and potassium chloride did not constitute cruel and unusual punishment under the Eighth Amendment to the United States Constitution.[7]

In September[8] and October 2015,[9] Glossip was granted three successive stays of execution due to questions about Oklahoma's lethal injection drugs after Oklahoma Corrections Department officials used potassium acetate to execute Charles Frederick Warner on January 15, 2015, contrary to protocol.[10][11] Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt ordered a multicounty grand jury investigation of the execution drug mix-up.[12]

Innocence controversy

Glossip's legal team asserts that Justin Sneed was addicted to methamphetamine at the time that he murdered Van Treese, and that he habitually broke into vehicles in the parking lot of the Best Budget Inn while he was employed as a maintenance man.[13] Glossip's execution is controversial in that he was convicted almost entirely on the testimony of Sneed, who confessed to bludgeoning Van Treese to death with an aluminum baseball bat by himself and who was spared a death sentence himself by implicating Glossip.[6][14]

In 2015, Oklahoma City police released a 1999 police report showing that a box of evidence had been marked for destruction. The report was never provided to attorneys who represented Richard Glossip in his second trial or his appeals according to his new defense team.[15] In an interview published the same day Glossip's attorney Donald Knight criticised the previous attorneys, saying "They did a terrible job. Horrible. No preparation. No investigation."[16]

On September 22, 2015, Glossip's attorneys filed papers referring to a July 1997 psychiatric evaluation of Sneed, in which he said he understood he was charged with murder in connection with a burglary and made no reference to Glossip's involvement.[17]

On September 23, 2015, Glossip's attorneys filed papers complaining that two new witnesses were being intimidated. In affidavits, one witness had claimed that Sneed laughed about lying in court about Glossip’s involvement; another said he was convinced based on his conversations with Sneed that Sneed acted alone.[18] On September 24, 2015 the Oklahoma attorney general's office filed papers stating that the claims of the new witnesses were “inherently suspect”, and that the time it took Van Treese to die and whether blood loss contributed to his death did not affect the trial outcome, in response to a defense claim that the testimony of Dr. Chai Choi, who performed the autopsy, was incorrect.[19]

On September 28, 2015, the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals voted 3-2 to proceed with execution.[20][21][22] Presiding Judge Clancy Smith wrote "While finality of judgment is important, the state has no interest in executing an actually innocent man. An evidentiary hearing will give Glossip the chance to prove his allegations that Sneed has recanted, or demonstrate to the court that he cannot provide evidence that would exonerate him." Judge Arlene Johnson wrote that the original trial was "deeply flawed" and an evidentiary hearing should be ordered.[23]

On September 30, 2015, Glossip spoke to the UK's Sky News on the telephone from his cell as he was being served his last meal. Glossip said that Sneed testified at trial that Glossip did not wear or own gloves, "And now he's on TV saying that I did. It continues to show the discrepancies in anything that Justin Sneed has to say."[24] On the same day, Virgin CEO Richard Branson bought an advertisement in The Oklahoman newspaper which had advocated against the execution, with Branson stating the evidence against Glossip is flawed and that "every person is deserving of a fair trial", adding, "Your state is about to execute a man whose guilt has not been proven beyond a reasonable doubt.”[25] The United States Supreme Court denied a stay of execution. Justice Stephen Breyer wrote that he would grant a stay.[26][27]
High-profile supporters

Richard Glossip has several high-profile supporters of his innocence, including Mark Ruffalo, Peter Sarsgaard, Sir Richard Branson, Susan Sarandon, Sister Helen Prejean, Pope Francis and Maina Mwangi.
Oklahoma lethal injection protocol controversy

On October 13, 2014, the Oklahoma Attorney General said the state did not have adequate supply of execution drugs, and delayed the execution of Glossip and two other inmates. On January 28, 2015 the U.S. Supreme Court halted executions in Oklahoma until it decided on lethal injection drugs.[28]

Governor Mary Fallin stayed the execution after the Department of Corrections received potassium acetate instead of potassium chloride. Execution was reset for November 6, 2015.[29][30][31]

On October 1, 2015, Attorney General Scott Pruitt asked the Court of Criminal Appeals to issue an indefinite stay of all scheduled executions in Oklahoma, citing the Department of Correction's acquisition of a drug contrary to protocol,[32] the next day, the request was granted.[33]

On October 6, 2015, Governor Mary Fallin said she hired an independent attorney, Robert McCampbell, to advise her on the legal process.[34]

On October 8, 2015, it was reported that Oklahoma Corrections Department officials used potassium acetate to execute Charles Frederick Warner on January 15, 2015, contrary to protocol.[10][11] An attorney representing Glossip and other Oklahoma death row inmates said logs from Warner's execution initialed by a prison staff member indicated the use of potassium chloride; however, an autopsy report showed 12 vials of potassium acetate were used.[35]

According to a report on October 16, 2015, due to a grand jury investigation, it was likely the state would not conduct an execution for more than a year.[36]
Midazolam controversy

Glossip was the plaintiff in Glossip v. Gross, a U.S. Supreme Court case decided in June 2015 in which a divided Court ruled 5-4 that midazolam may be used as a sedative in combination with other lethal injection drugs. The case was originally titled Warner v. Gross, but Glossip replaced Charles Frederick Warner as the plaintiff after Warner was executed in January 2015, also by Oklahoma, before the case was decided.
"Killing Richard Glossip" television show

A television show about Glossip's innocence controversy and Oklahoma execution scandal premiered April 17, 2017 on Discovery ID.[37]

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
Statements made by Glossip's first attorney here rebutting people's comments on an article that for the most part are not in the documentary (at least not the first three episodes):

Wayne Fournerat Sep 10, 2015 11:01pm
Ann Franklin. Your comment: "If Glossip's attorneys had evidence vindicating their client, that evidence should have been, and would have been presented long before now."

What was I suppose to do? I am Richard Glossip's first lawyer. The court would not allow some of the evidence that pointed to his innocence to be admissible and therefore it was deemed irrelevant.

Example would be the $24100 covered in blue dye found in Barry Van Treese's trunk.

In the first trial at 29 P.3d 597 (2001), notice the State's theory is that Richard Glossip asked or told Sneed to kill Barry Van Treese. "Asked or Told" to kill does not make a murder-for-hire case. Therefore, unless the $24100 is part of an alleged embezzlement scheme that the State is arguing against Richard Glossip, Judge Freeman ruled the $24100 inadmissible because irrelevant. I disagreed. See where that got me.

In the second trial at 157 P.3d 143 (2007) the State's theory drastically changes from one of 'asked or told' to 'murder for hire'. Do you know why? Because Oklahoma did not tell lawyers that were downstream from me about the $24100. All the court told the downstream lawyers was is that it "is inconceivable that other individuals committed this murder (other than allegedly Richard Glossip). This means the lawyers in the 2nd trial did not know about the $24100 covered in blue dye and did not know about the 2nd videotape of Justin Sneed's interrogation (the un-redacted version).

Finding the 'truth' is one thing. Getting that 'truth' into the jury room is another matter and sometimes has more to do with politics than law. And I'm a lawyer; not a politician. What would you have me do? I created enough reversible error to drive a train through but it got an innocent man another trial.
-------------
Wayne Fournerat Sep 10, 2015 10:36pm

Jim McClead. Your comment: "Good grief, ever heard of a 'plea bargain'?" YES, LWOP. If the prosecutor and judge thought Richard Glossip was a murderer they would not want him walking the streets. Life With Parole offered after Glossip already did 18 years means Richard Glossip would be out before Christmas. That is not just a plea bargain. That is a tell-tale sign.

Ken Phillips. Your comment: "What kind of a "Plea Bargain" did Barry Van Treese get???" AND, Your comment: "his employees shouldn't steal over $6000 from him." Barry Van Treese was found with $24100 covered in blue dye found in the trunk of his car. If that is motel receipts like Kathleen Lord (Richard's public defender) claims, the Richard had no reason to fear termination as he was making the motel 6X what it normally made. If it isn't motel receipts (which it is not) and covered in blue dye, then maybe Oklahomans need to look at Case No. CF 1997-7587 wherein a drug dealer claims that Everhart and Brown stole $25000 from him while he was 2 blocks away from his destination which was Barry Van Treese's motel to buy heroin. I know this because I was not only Richard Glossip's first lawyer, I was also the drug dealer's lawyer. There is a ton of evidence that Oklahoma does not want admitted into evidence and a jury see it.
----------
Wayne Fournerat Sep 10, 2015 10:45pm

Sorry, the case no is CF 1996-7587 (Okla.Co.Dist.Ct.,J.McElwee)..And Everhart and Brown worked for the decedent Barry Van Treese. Everhart use to be the Chief of Police of Binger Oklahoma until (per the mayor of Binger, 1997) Cliff Everhart was run out of town for stopping women in the middle of the night and either 'ticket or sex.' To me that is "laying plans for attempting to rape".
---------
Wayne Fournerat Sep 10, 2015 10:06pm

Ken Phillips. Your comment: "Oklahoma doesn't sentence anyone to death anymore"

Wrong. Between 200-2004, Oklahoma executed three (3) women. If a State executes its little darlings, what do you think it will do to a man?

Your comment: "they completely forget about the horrible, untimely murder of the victim."

I agree with you sir. If someone hurt my wife, I would want their life.
But Richard Glossip didn't do it...Sneed did. Glossip didn't mastermind it either.
Although I believe in the death penalty in theory, I do not agree in how Oklahoma uses the death penalty to cover up its political games. Oklahoma County is centrally located for overland drug trafficking with I-35 going to Chicago and the Midwest, I-40 going to both coasts of America. If a District Attorney (like Robert "Bob" Macy of Oklahoma county) wanted to he could seize the cash after the heroin is sold but before the cash leaves Oklahoma county. That's undeclared and untraceable cash. Like the $24100 covered in blue dye found in the victim's trunk when he was killed and a drug dealer's fingerprints and DNA found at the murder scene. NOT RICHARD GLOSSIP'S DNA NOR FINGERPRINTS.

I too believe in the death penalty, but only when I trust the State of Oklahoma to administer it honestly against someone who is a murderer (like a serial killer or mass murderer). Oklahoma couldn't even stop a judge from masturbating under his robe in court. See, "Pump Judge" Donald Thompson, Sapulpa county, Okla.
------
Wayne Fournerat Sep 10, 2015 9:50pm

Rob Roman: Your comment: "What about Richard's own conduct on the day of the murder and the days after?" After the fact involvement only nets a defendant ten (10) years maximum under the current law in 1997. Not the death penalty.

Further, the Court looked at the money Richard Glossip had on him when arrested claiming that money was for flight from prosecution. False. That money was my retainer.

Further, police and sheriff's reports are finally (after 18 years being suppressed) that show $24100 found in the victim's trunk when he was murdered. I have an email from Kathleen Lord (one of Richard's present public defenders) that that money was turned back over to the Van Treese family because the $24100 was MOTEL RECEIPTS derived from the motel or motels. This is Richard's current lawyer Kathleen Lord saying the money was motel receipts. Van Treeses only own 2 motels at the time. One in Tulsa and the one at issue in OKC. Van Treese picked up the money at the motels approximately every 6-8 weeks during this time period and this $24100 was found in his trunk when he was murdered.

My Point: If Richard is making the Best Budget Inn $24100 in a 6 - 8 week period, why would Richard fear getting terminated? That amount would be 6 times greater than the OKC motel made and 10X greater than the Tulsa motel. And why kill Barry Van Treese after Richard allegedly giving him some or all of that $24100. Richard, as manager of the OKC motel is directly credited with those Motel Receipts isn't he? Just like the unsubstantiated claim that Richard was embezzling.
-------
Wayne Fournerat Sep 10, 2015 11:12pm

M J Sanditen. Your comment: "It's obvious there are lousy lawyers. It's not like Glossip could afford good or decent legal council".

And I am that "lousy" lawyer. I was Richard's first lawyer. My name is Wayne Fournerat. I told Richard the retainer was $2000 but he was arrested before he could pay me in person. So, Richard's family paid me.

My point is the amount of money that Richard Glossip had on him when arrested has been argued by Oklahoma to be money to flee the jurisdiction, a corroborating factor in proving guilt. Richard wasn't running. We were preparing to fight.
--------
Wayne Fournerat Sep 10, 2015 9:33pm

RICHARD GLOSSIP SHOULD NOT DIE BECAUSE OF A LOUSY LAWYER. My name is Wayne Fournerat. I was Richard Glossip first lawyer. If you must take an innocent man's life take mine, I am as guilty as Richard Glossip.

Try presenting evidence that the OKPD and OK CO Sheriff's collected and Judge Freeman stop you. There is a redacted (edited, polished) version of Sneed's Jan 14 1997 interrogation by Det(s) Bemo and Cook and there is also a Jan 14 1997 un-redacted (the real interrogation) version of Sneed's interrogation by the detectives. The un-redacted shows Bemo and Cook "spoon-feeding" Sneed what to say. After they think Sneed has the detectives story down pat, BOTH detectives leave the room and come back in with a soft drink and begin the interrogation like new. This is where the redacted version begins.

I received the un-redacted tape 3 days before trial. Not time enough to give Oklahoma thirty (30) days notice of defense's intent to use the video. I had however put the redacted version on my Exhibit List and simply listed it as Videotaped interrogation of Justin Sneed Jan 14 1997 not knowing anything about any redaction. Oklahoma failed to file a Motion To Redact.

The reason I am telling you this? On March 1 2001, Judge Twilla Mason Gray made a Minute Order in the Court Clerk's file that she "inadverently altered" Exhibit 2. Exhibit 2 was the un-redacted version. The part she "inadvertently altered" was the first ten minutes of the interrogation wherein Bemo and Cook are telling Sneed what to say...and Sneed still has problems getting it right for sometime.

Oklahoma didn't listen when I and three (3) other lawyers told the news media about a judge masturbating in open court. It wasn't until Lisa Foster, the court reporter in Sapulpa county reported Judge Donald Thompson. Then he went to prison but still received his $6000 per month from Oklahoma. Oh well, "you can led an Oklahoman to water...."

See "Pump Judge" Judge Donald Thompson, Creek and Sapulpa counties Oklahoma, on the internet.

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
Wayne Fournerat Sep 10, 2015 9:09pm

Tulsa World. I told you many years ago RICHARD GLOSSIP IS INNOCENT. You were sued in reference to the case of Richard Glossip. Please see, Case No. CIV 08-248M and Case No. CIV 09-391M in the federal court in the Western District of Oklahoma. Numerous pleadings mention the $24100 covered in blue dye found at the murder scene in Barry Van Treese's (victim) trunk and the fact that Van Treese's employees Cliff Everhart and Tim Brown (on the orders of BVT) stole this money from a drug dealer.
Is surprises me now as Richard Glossip's first lawyer and the previous lawyer for the drug dealer, that the TULSA WORLD is now ready to help? Why wouldn't you help Richard in 2008 and 2009? The evidence didn't change.