Grotesque Review

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Dead Blue

Smokin Bud
Nov 14, 2008
CALIFORNIA
I made a blind purchase on Grotesque because reading up on the film, it was compared it to Flower of Flesh & Blood, a film I like a lot. While I will say upfront the film really is nothing like Flower of Flesh & Blood, it may just stand on it's own as an excellent horror movie.

Grotesque takes a very unique approach to the horror genre, even for Japanese horror, and even more so for the "extreme gore" type of horror. I don't want to give away the story but it plays out in a manner much different than any other horror film. If you've seen Flower of Flesh & Blood or any film similar to it, you know the gore in these types of movies is usually slow, bloody, and very drawn out. In Grotesque each individual act of violence is quick and to the point, while still bloody and graphic, you won't be forced to sit through boredom as some deranged lunatic spends 20 minutes hacking off one limb. In addition to the new approach to violence the film is given more than the standard scenario but a full story.

The basic premises being that a young couple is captured by a "sick" doctor who brings them to an unknown location with the intention of torturing them for the sole purpose of excitement. He makes a promise that if they can bring him the excitement he yearns for that they both will live.

Story 8/10

For this type of movie, the story is downright excellent, it's believable and you can't see what's coming next. You'll want to guess and try to figure things out, you won't know when the film is over or if there is something else going to happen. It draws you in and makes you hope the couple survive. The only reason I give this section an 8 instead of 10 is because let's be real, if this was any other type of movie the story would be considered pathetic.

Presentation 8/10

The camera work is nice, the gore is well captured and doesn't appear fake. There is a bit at the end that shows just how much of a budget this film has, but for the most part the presentation is spot on. There is a semi-homosexual part of the film that thankfully is only suggested and you are not forced to endure. Thank you to the director for going about it the way they did instead of being overally graphic with it like you might find in other films.

Violence 8/10

Dismemberment, Torture, Graphic, It's got it all. Some stuff that will make you cringe, (a guy get's his testicles nailed through, and eye cut from the inside out) ...but nothing that will give you nightmares. Films like Saw use self mutilation in unbelievable ways like cutting off your own arm or out your own eyes, Grotesque takes a different more plausible approach to self mutilation.

Overall 8/10

It's a good gore flick that is rather easy to sit through. I personally didn't like the ending as in the events that happened during the last few moments of the film, but liked the actual way the film concluded. I know that makes very little sense but if you watch the film, you'll know what I'm talking about. I recommend it. (though I would be lying if I said you were missing out if yo didn't see it)