Doubt

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 18, 2003
Finally got around to watching this. It is currently showing on Starz "On Demand".

This movie is good. Really good. At first I thought it was just going to be about a preist being put on trial by the catholic church but it is so much more than that. The film is not actually about weather a preist is or is not guilty of the crimes for which he is being accused, but the consequences of the accusations themselves. It does not spoon-feed details so as to leave you absolutely certain one way or the other; it leaves these answers to the imagination. These are the movies I love to watch. I give the casting, acting, story, and directing all an A. It is/was originally a play written by the same person who wrote/directed the film, John Patrick Shanley.

While I highly recommend this movie, I must admit, it is not for everyone.

8.8/10 (after one watch).

What are your thoughts?

Mar 18, 2003
SPOILER: See thats the whole thing.. IMO when someone, especially a priest, is put in that position, the easy way out would be to settle, or in his case leave that church. IF he didn't do it AND he chose to fight it he is still going to be persecuted by the public and still have to worry about being wrongfully convicted. He was offered a way to avoid all of that by simply leaving, not to mention take a higher position. I'm not saying he made the right choice or that I would have done the same but it makes you wonder.

Only part I didn't get was when she was talking with the boys mother and she (the mother) said something like "the real reason he was beaten by his father was not because he drank the wine"... there was something more to that conversation that the mother was trying to confess that I didn't pick up on. Im going to watch it again, though.

Oct 19, 2008
San Diego
SPOILER: See thats the whole thing.. IMO when someone, especially a priest, is put in that position, the easy way out would be to settle, or in his case leave that church. IF he didn't do it AND he chose to fight it he is still going to be persecuted by the public and still have to worry about being wrongfully convicted. He was offered a way to avoid all of that by simply leaving, not to mention take a higher position. I'm not saying he made the right choice or that I would have done the same but it makes you wonder.

Only part I didn't get was when she was talking with the boys mother and she (the mother) said something like "the real reason he was beaten by his father was not because he drank the wine"... there was something more to that conversation that the mother was trying to confess that I didn't pick up on. Im going to watch it again, though.

His dad beat him up because he was gay.

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
spoiler post

I thought it was a pretty good movie. better than what I was expecting. its possible he didn't touch the black kid. but the priest also coulda been gay himself. and the director kinda made it seem like he messed with the blonde kid. when he annouced he was leaving the blonde kid seemed relieved and shit.