The Dark Tower

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
I was always looking forward to this, as these are some of my fav books.
Hope they do them justice and not fail like The Stand...

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/film/3910

The books chronicle the mysterious The Gunslinger as he travels across a desolate and vaguely post-apocalyptic landscape in his quest for a black tower. Portals along the way eventually allow contact with our own modern world.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
It's not possible to make a good movie out of the book series. There's just too much shit going on. But I gotta say The Dark Tower is probably the best book/series I've ever read by an American author, besides maybe the Song of Ice and Fire books.

If you read any books this year, read these.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
Fun while it lasted...thank god, it would have been shitty anyways...

Yes, once again a big-time adaptation of Stephen King’s book series The Dark Tower, a sort of sci-fi horror western, has fallen through. The first time it was J.J. Abrams trying to put together a project, this time it was Ron Howard. Howard actually got kind of far, going so far as to cast Javier Bardem in the lead and everything. But now the enterprise – the three movies, the spin-off TV series – has crumbled and Universal has officially shut the whole damn thing down. I guess it’s just too big a project to tackle. That or it’s, y’know, cursed. I mean it is a Stephen King story. They have trouble adapting lots of his stuff! It’s spooky!

Aug 24, 2003
Butch, book series worth checking out?

yea its pretty sweet like the first couple books, then it starts to grind on. there was a big thing with these books, he started them and the fan demand became huge, he couldnt finish the books out but ppl kept demanding it and demanding it over like 20 years or some shit.

basically what i watn to say is the shit starts off strong, and by the end of it its totally something different. almost forced. thats not to say its bad, but by the end everything has a different feel. its an interesting journey, the first book is from a very young stephen king and by the end of the series you are reading shit he wrote after he became accomplished and world famous. i liked the books a lot and anybody thats a stephen king fan would dig it. you got something for everybody in these, the old school cowboy wild west type shit, old school knights and swords shit, futuristic shit, modern shit, everything.

Jan 28, 2005
I think the coolest part of the series is how many references there are to characters/settings/situations from other books King wrote outside of the Dark Tower Series. He incorporated so much into it, it's just amazing. There would be no way to capture that in the movies, which is why I think a movie version of the series would suck no matter what.

Aug 24, 2003
I think the coolest part of the series is how many references there are to characters/settings/situations from other books King wrote outside of the Dark Tower Series. He incorporated so much into it, it's just amazing. There would be no way to capture that in the movies, which is why I think a movie version of the series would suck no matter what.
to be honest once all that shit started going on i felt like it was kinda cheesy lol. stephen king kept talking way too much about his fans wanting him to finish the series, it was like, holy shit dont put taht in the book LOL its like admitting that you're sitting there a typewriter right now forcing some shit onto a page for me to digest and pay for and shut up about. especially the part where hes in maine, walking on the road.. and well... yea. i thought the end battle was particularly lame, the only thing that i appreciated about the end was rolands ultimate fate, which was one of the saddest and most powerful things ive read practically. without spoiling it for everybody for him to realize what he did at the end is the essence of horror to me, and the shit kinda floored me. lol

then again i was the kind of asshole stephen king particularly dislikes. there he is bleeding his heart out over his entire career to get this thing finished and i buy the series and breeze through it in less than a months time, then critique it. lol