Black Mass

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 23, 2005
nep.503
More like blasted and bored with the pace of the film, I feel like they showed you the best scenes in the trailers. Most of the movie is talking that cuts away to all the testimonies from whiteys enforcers turned snitch, then arial shots of Boston throwin in every 10 mins. I think there's a good movie in what they shot, but probably just needs to be re cut. Still dunno how I feel about depps performance. I feel like departed was a better movie who used whiteys story in a way and same setting. But gonna watch it again down the road.

May 2, 2002
James "Whitey" Bulger is a notorious South Boston mobster, but he sounds like a high-maintenance diva when it comes to his own portrayal in "Black Mass." You'd think having Johnny Depp play you in a movie would be flattering, especially when you're a criminal who doesn't really deserve to be embodied by an A-list heartthrob.

Bulger, 86, didn't communicate with Depp, and apparently he has no plans to see the film, even if they show it in his Florida prison. But he's still bashing "Black Mass" and its star, via his defense lawyer, with a bizarre amount of self-righteous indignation. And even though Johnny Depp said he aimed to portray White Bulger "as a human being" with "a kind heart" in addition to a cold one, he's not going to get any thank you cards from the real-life subject.

Bulger's defense attorney spoke for the gangster, telling People:

Johnny Depp might as well have been playing the Mad Hatter all over again as far as James Bulger is concerned. Hollywood greed is behind the rush to portray my client, and the movie missed the real scourge created in my client's case, the real menace to Boston during that time and in other mob cases around the country – the federal government's complicity in each and every one of those murders with the top echelon informant program."

Yes, poor Whitey Bulger was just a victim and greedy Hollywood and government officials are the real villains. (Maybe Whitey was just hoping that Leonardo DiCaprio would play him.)

"Black Mass" opens today, September 18.

May 2, 2015
James "Whitey" Bulger is a notorious South Boston mobster, but he sounds like a high-maintenance diva when it comes to his own portrayal in "Black Mass." You'd think having Johnny Depp play you in a movie would be flattering, especially when you're a criminal who doesn't really deserve to be embodied by an A-list heartthrob.

Bulger, 86, didn't communicate with Depp, and apparently he has no plans to see the film, even if they show it in his Florida prison. But he's still bashing "Black Mass" and its star, via his defense lawyer, with a bizarre amount of self-righteous indignation. And even though Johnny Depp said he aimed to portray White Bulger "as a human being" with "a kind heart" in addition to a cold one, he's not going to get any thank you cards from the real-life subject.

Bulger's defense attorney spoke for the gangster, telling People:

Johnny Depp might as well have been playing the Mad Hatter all over again as far as James Bulger is concerned. Hollywood greed is behind the rush to portray my client, and the movie missed the real scourge created in my client's case, the real menace to Boston during that time and in other mob cases around the country – the federal government's complicity in each and every one of those murders with the top echelon informant program."

Yes, poor Whitey Bulger was just a victim and greedy Hollywood and government officials are the real villains. (Maybe Whitey was just hoping that Leonardo DiCaprio would play him.)

"Black Mass" opens today, September 18.
All that yapping is for a cut of the profits, which he can't get because he's a felon.

May 2, 2015
Some of you cats need to be checked for Narcolepsy if you nodded off. The movie is based on real life, not a made up video game franchise.

I thought the movie is a solid 8 out of 10. The only real weakness is the Cumberbatch casting as the brother. I also thought the baby-momma scenes were weak and could have been left out of the movie.

May 9, 2002
I thought the timelines were a bit clunky as it moved forward. Also i have no idea why they cast Adam Scott...he had like 3 lines the whole damn movie. Also, some of the Southie accents slipped in and out from some of the actors, Depp was spot on for most of it though.

THe idea behind showing the baby mamma thing was to show you he had a soft spot, along with helping that old lady with the groceries, which was suppose to convey that he had love for his neighborhood. However, they could have done a bit more to show that. The baby mamma's scenes also set up his spiral into psychopathy due to his child dying and his bitch wanting to pull the plug...it set him off.

Either way, it was solid...but it could have been so much more IMHO. I actually thought Joel Edgerton stole the show....even from Depp. His accent was sharp and on point all film and i felt like he dove into his role big time.

As a side note:

Matt Damon Says His and Affleck's Whitey Bulger Movie Would've Been the Unforgiven of Gangster Films - IGN