UFC/WEC merger on the horizon?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
by Jason Benfari on August 14, 2009

When Zuffa, the UFC's parent company, bought out the WEC, many speculated that the organization would be used as a feeder league to showcase younger and developing talent and allow them to get much needed experience before stepping up in competition and competing in the UFC.

The organization, however, eventually dissolved its higher weight classes to focus on lighter weights including the featherweight and bantamweight divisions which the UFC doesn't currently employ. That may change however according to White who says that talks of a merger are on the docket.

"We're talking about that right now, possibly," White during a recent Q and A session.

Former bantamweight and featherweight champions Miguel Torres and Urijah Faber have been outspoken about the lack of exposure and the lower pay-scales associated with the organization.

Faber, perhaps the organizations most recognizable name, doesn't believe the lower pay scale is fair and thinks a case can be made for a UFC featherweight division.

"I definitely don't think it's a fair scale," Faber recently told RawVegas. "We need to do pay-per-view shows. That's how everybody's getting paid. If I was the one making those calls, maybe I would [create a featherweight division in the UFC]. I can certainly make a case for that, but I'm at the will of those guys right now and they hold the ball in their court and I'm just gonna try and play."

Dec 9, 2005
That would be dope, but then again, I like the fact that I get to see all of the great WEC fights for free.

On the other hand, I do think great fighters like Torres, Brown, and Faber deserve to be showcased on a bigger scale.

So, I'm on the fence about it.

Jul 24, 2005
I thinks it smart for the ufc to do this have the wec title fight on a ufc ppv & just have the regular verse(sp) show for up and comers that way we will get a tittle on almost like every ppv

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
if they're going to merge they need to get like a bi-weekly show with free fights because there's going to be too many fighters. The guys complaining now won't have to worry about it but the ones who make up the TUF cards and WEC undercards will.

Jan 18, 2006
Morebass made the best point, it would be best if they dont merge so that all the fights stay on versus

May 17, 2004
^^^ yes that would be best for us so we could all watch for free. but its not the best for the fighters if they want more money.

Every wec card is good so i would actually pay to see them.

Jul 24, 2005
I think they should just merg the 155 divison and have the wec for 145 & under or start a women divison in place of the 155 that mergs with the ufc

Jan 18, 2006
lol my selfish ass wasnt thinking bout the fighters, good point. They must make decent money from sponsers though.

Jan 2, 2004
They'd make better money from sponsors in the UFC though.. Way better sponsors, and they probably pay more money for the exposure in the UFC..

it'd be nice you know, if WEC merged into the UFC, and the VS shows were used for smaller people, kinda like the Strikeforce Challengers series.. Do that with, I mean, less known UFC people.. Then the Ultimate Fight Nights can be focused on the Ultimate Fighter people, like they usually are, still..

And then a PPV or two a month, and that's a lot of fights..