UFC Fight Night: Pantera vs Bruce Leroy 8/6

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Main Card (Fox Sports 1)
Featherweight Yair Rodríguez vs. Alex Caceres
Featherweight Dennis Bermudez vs. Rony Jason
Middleweight Thales Leites vs. Chris Camozzi
Welterweight Santiago Ponzinibbio vs. Zak Cummings
Middleweight Trevor Smith vs. Joe Gigliotti
Women's Strawweight Maryna Moroz vs. Danielle Taylor
Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)
Welterweight Court McGee vs. Dominique Steele
Heavyweight Viktor Pešta vs. Marcin Tybura
Lightweight David Teymur vs. Jason Novelli
Featherweight Teruto Ishihara vs. Horacio Gutiérrez
Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)
Featherweight Cub Swanson vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri
Heavyweight Chase Sherman vs. Justin Ledet

Cub vs Crusher, Ishihara, Moroz, Ponzi, Bermudez vs Jason & the main event should all be dope

Apr 25, 2002
that chick fight was suppose to be Moroz vs Justine Kish. dope match up that got scratched.

UFC tryna push Yair. dude can really bring the mexicans in. i hope dude reaches the top.

Apr 25, 2002
why is Cub vs. Crusher on fight pass, that should be co-main of this card lol

Lil Nog, Sterling, Theodorou/Alvey, Lauzon/Sanchez, Dodson, Pearson, Sanchez/Miller all "headlined" the fightpass prelims. not to mention Silva vs Bisping and RDA vs Alvarez and Joanna vs Penne were all fightpass. they're tryna push that shit hard. shit sucks but it opens the door to them goin the WWE route and streaming all PPV's online. they wont do it free like WWE but they would be able to cut the price in half while grossing the same amount.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Lil Nog, Sterling, Theodorou/Alvey, Lauzon/Sanchez, Dodson, Pearson, Sanchez/Miller all "headlined" the fightpass prelims. not to mention Silva vs Bisping and RDA vs Alvarez and Joanna vs Penne were all fightpass. they're tryna push that shit hard. shit sucks but it opens the door to them goin the WWE route and streaming all PPV's online. they wont do it free like WWE but they would be able to cut the price in half while grossing the same amount.
All fighters mentioned were on way stronger cards. Silva vs. Bisping and Joanna vs. Penne were headlining their shows, which were on fight pass to begin with because they were overseas and Fox Sports 1 don't want taped UFC. RDA vs. Alvarez was definitely a special case because of UFC 200 weekend, at no other time in the year would that have been on Fight Pass lol

We won't see numbered UFC pay per views on Fight Pass for years. Dana White has already clearly said hell no to that lol. Pay per view is like 90% of UFC's revenue. WWE started putting Pay Per View on their WWE Network because their average monthly pay per view buys started getting under 100k. UFC still does 300k+ almost every show (except for 125-145lb main events). UFC is still years away.

I just see it as a missed opportunity. Cub is still ranked #5 in the world and Crusher is still ranked #14 and brings in the hardcore old school MMA fans. Put names on your main card, maybe bring in more ratings, which ups advertising revenue, which becomes a bargaining chip at their next negotiations. "Look at these numbers Fox, even our fight night show brought in good ratings to your niche sports network and upped your advertising revenue".

Every UFC I've been to the arena is like 1/4 full during those first couple of fights also. Not really a good look having your ranked fighters fighting in an empty building.

UFC knows what they're doing though I guess, they did just turned a $2 million investment in to $4 billion, just seems like a weird decision.

Cheaptimes

C'mon now...
Jan 3, 2005
www.twitter.com
Every UFC I've been to the arena is like 1/4 full during those first couple of fights also. Not really a good look having your ranked fighters fighting in an empty building.
Boxing events that air on HBO & PPV have the same results.
Only the hardcore fight fans watch the undercard.

My UFC picks for Draft Kings is all underdogs this week.

Apr 25, 2002
All fighters mentioned were on way stronger cards. Silva vs. Bisping and Joanna vs. Penne were headlining their shows, which were on fight pass to begin with because they were overseas and Fox Sports 1 don't want taped UFC. RDA vs. Alvarez was definitely a special case because of UFC 200 weekend, at no other time in the year would that have been on Fight Pass lol

I just see it as a missed opportunity. Cub is still ranked #5 in the world and Crusher is still ranked #14 and brings in the hardcore old school MMA fans. Put names on your main card, maybe bring in more ratings, which ups advertising revenue, which becomes a bargaining chip at their next negotiations. "Look at these numbers Fox, even our fight night show brought in good ratings to your niche sports network and upped your advertising revenue".

i get that, but they didn't have to have Silva vs Bisping or Joanna vs Penne over seas. that was strategic to help build fightpass. why would you put Silva on fightpass? why would you put him overseas to where you "have to" put him on fightpass? just like them putting Sage Northcutt on fightpass, even tho he aint big enough to have motherfuckers buy fightpass. everybody else was on stronger cards, but, there were smaller names fighting on those FS1 prelims, which effects advertising revenue. the first couple fightpass prelims had "no bodies", then they started putting more "no bodies" on FS1 to make room for a name they can highlight on fightpass. the only exception to that is 200.

We won't see numbered UFC pay per views on Fight Pass for years. Dana White has already clearly said hell no to that lol. Pay per view is like 90% of UFC's revenue. WWE started putting Pay Per View on their WWE Network because their average monthly pay per view buys started getting under 100k. UFC still does 300k+ almost every show (except for 125-145lb main events). UFC is still years away.

i know UFC wont do it anytime soon, but it's not like they'd lose money. out of $60 for a PPV, UFC only gets $30 of that. they would be able to stream those PPV's on fightpass and keep the whole $30. selling 300K on traditional PPV and selling 300K online would bring them the same amount of money, even if they charge half the price, $30. they would just end up selling more PPV's cus it'd be "affordable", so they would actually make more money. they'd have to upgrade their hardware to be able to host the streams with no fucks ups, but the extra PPV sales income they'd get (from it being half the price) would take care of that, or they can charge $35 and use those 5's to keep the system good. there's more money there if they were to go that route.

UFC knows what they're doing though I guess, they did just turned a $2 million investment in to $4 billion, just seems like a weird decision.
they can thank Rousey and McGregor for that $4B sale. 2015 was their strongest year ever. they wouldn't have been offered $4B if 2015 didn't happen. Cub should have been co-main, but they really want to shift shit to that fightpass eventually and they use these names to grow it little by little. kids nowadays use the computer/online more than tv's. i think they have a certain vision of fightpass that may not include PPV's, but im tellin you, PPV's on fightpass is where the money is. their live streaming currently sucks tho, just like WWE. kinda reminds me of the UFC episode of Silicon Valley, ironically.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
i get that, but they didn't have to have Silva vs Bisping or Joanna vs Penne over seas. that was strategic to help build fightpass. why would you put Silva on fightpass? why would you put him overseas to where you "have to" put him on fightpass? just like them putting Sage Northcutt on fightpass, even tho he aint big enough to have motherfuckers buy fightpass. everybody else was on stronger cards, but, there were smaller names fighting on those FS1 prelims, which effects advertising revenue. the first couple fightpass prelims had "no bodies", then they started putting more "no bodies" on FS1 to make room for a name they can highlight on fightpass. the only exception to that is 200.
Those fights were booked where they were booked to build local fanbase, not build fight pass. They wanted a big main event in England, Bisping is obvious choice and Silva wanted a fight. Germany is a market the UFC wants bad, Joanna is getting huge in that part of Europe, so they had her defend there. That arena in Berlin had Polish flags basically blanketing the place, was a no brainer putting her on that card.

i know UFC wont do it anytime soon, but it's not like they'd lose money. out of $60 for a PPV, UFC only gets $30 of that. they would be able to stream those PPV's on fightpass and keep the whole $30. selling 300K on traditional PPV and selling 300K online would bring them the same amount of money, even if they charge half the price, $30. they would just end up selling more PPV's cus it'd be "affordable", so they would actually make more money. they'd have to upgrade their hardware to be able to host the streams with no fucks ups, but the extra PPV sales income they'd get (from it being half the price) would take care of that, or they can charge $35 and use those 5's to keep the system good. there's more money there if they were to go that route.
They already stream PPV's from UFC.tv and keep all of the money completely separate of regular Pay Per View revenue, why would they all of a sudden need to add them to fight pass?

they can thank Rousey and McGregor for that $4B sale. 2015 was their strongest year ever. they wouldn't have been offered $4B if 2015 didn't happen. Cub should have been co-main, but they really want to shift shit to that fightpass eventually and they use these names to grow it little by little. kids nowadays use the computer/online more than tv's. i think they have a certain vision of fightpass that may not include PPV's, but im tellin you, PPV's on fightpass is where the money is. their live streaming currently sucks tho, just like WWE. kinda reminds me of the UFC episode of Silicon Valley, ironically.
I brought up the 4 billion because I'm saying UFC is smart and I should shut up and you're even arguing with me with that lol

Where are you getting this source that the UFC is trying to build up Fight Pass and have this vision to shift everything to it? It's pretty much established by Dana White that it's just an extra source of income. It has low operating cost and is a place to put on Fight Night shows that Fox Sports 1 doesn't want. They also get cheap content from small orgs like TitanFC and Invicta. Fight Pass has been around for 3 years, you would think if they wanted to make this shift it would have already started and I don't think having Cub Swanson and Diego Sanchez fight on prelims is that shift lol.

Apr 25, 2002
They already stream PPV's from UFC.tv and keep all of the money completely separate of regular Pay Per View revenue, why would they all of a sudden need to add them to fight pass?
they don't need to, and they probably wont. it just makes business sense. you can charge less, to sell more and make more than what you would make for charging more.

Where are you getting this source that the UFC is trying to build up Fight Pass and have this vision to shift everything to it? It's pretty much established by Dana White that it's just an extra source of income. It has low operating cost and is a place to put on Fight Night shows that Fox Sports 1 doesn't want. They also get cheap content from small orgs like TitanFC and Invicta. Fight Pass has been around for 3 years, you would think if they wanted to make this shift it would have already started and I don't think having Cub Swanson and Diego Sanchez fight on prelims is that shift lol.
its obvious they are trying to build it. you can say its an extra source of income right now, which it is at this point (i dont give a shit what Dana White says, he's talks out his ass. he said UFC wasn't for sale a week before it sold). but even as an "extra source of income", they are obviously trying to build it, to what ever vision they have. they just got Titan and Invicta early last year. they steady try and sew up the smaller mma promotions. i saw an interview with one of the main dudes at AXS basically saying how UFC is offering to host Legacy and RFA but how AXS offers something fightpass cant, which is being on tv. im not saying they will shift totally to fightpass, that is an option, but UFC probably has a different vision. i get the whole Britain thing, but you dont just book Silva cus he wants to fight. they wanted Silva specifically to help build fightpass. they coulda got any other middleweight who aint really shit and aint gonna make dudes wanna drop $10 on fightpass. BT Sports would have still aired it and Britain would have still watched Bisping. if they ever do shift, it'll take more than these past 3 years. they dont put Cub on fightpass on one of the "weaker" cards in the last 2 or 3 years to just get that extra fightpass income.

i never said they were going to shift everything to it, or anything of that sort. i just said it's smarter for them to eventually solely host the PPV's, drop the price and cut out the middle man. theres just obviously more money in that scenario. but it's more than extra income. they been constantly putting above average names on every fightpass prelims. they're obviously making strategic sacrifices for the sake of fightpass.