Strikeforce appreciation thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix

Bigfoot destroying the myth of the indestructible Fedor

Sergei brutally KO'ing Arlovski

Josh Barnett making both Brett Rogers and Sergei look amateur with his submission wrestling, finishing both by 1st round head and arm choke

Daniel Cormier beating Jeff Monson in an alternate fight, getting his chance to join the tournament after Reem pulled out then going on to destroy Bigfoot and outwork Barnett to claim the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix championship and becoming a huge MMA superstar in the process.

lots of great moments and we still get to see the Reem vs. Bigfoot fight that was supposed to happen during the tournament next month in the UFC.

WXS STOMP3R

SENIOR GANG MEMBER
Feb 27, 2006
RIP Strikeforce. Definitely enjoyed the great shows. gonna miss having an alernative to the UFC. I Like Bellator but so far,not in the Same League

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Funny enough the heavyweight tourney is what prompted White to buy Strikeforce. Thats how big a deal it was. Got Em!!

DUTCH-F.E

Super Moderator
Apr 25, 2002
WWW.myspace.com
Not a huge fight buff but I do watch a ton of events on PPV and Showtime... If Strikeforce was bought out by UFC why is Scott Coker closing it? Wouldnt it be up to Dana White and his partners to close it? And What happens to all the fighters under strikeforce control? Do they automatically get shots in the UFC or do they go elsewhere?

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Not a huge fight buff but I do watch a ton of events on PPV and Showtime... If Strikeforce was bought out by UFC why is Scott Coker closing it? Wouldnt it be up to Dana White and his partners to close it? And What happens to all the fighters under strikeforce control? Do they automatically get shots in the UFC or do they go elsewhere?
Dana White and Lorenzo Fertita decided to close it not Scott Coker. They had a shitty deal with Showtime they didn't want anymore and fighters like Gilbert Melendez and Luke Rockhold that they really wanted in the UFC couldn't come due to Showtime locking them down with their Strikeforce deal.

Only the fighters that the UFC wants will be coming over. They already pulled over Bigfoot Silva, Lavar Johnson, Robbie Lawler and Tyron Woodley before Strikeforce officially folded. Daniel Cormier recently signed his UFC deal and Dana White already confirmed Gilbert Melendez will be fighting Benson Henderson next to unify the two championships at Lightweight.

Other fighters like Josh Barnett and Gegard Mousasi will probably have to renegotiate their contracts before the UFC will sign them as they make as much as a lot of the UFC Main Eventers (which is one of the reasons Strikeforce was bleeding money due to their big fighter contracts and shitty Showtime revenue)

I'm hearing other guys like Jacare, Tim Kennedy, and Nate Marquart are locks to go to the UFC (Dana White said a couple weeks ago that Nate will be back in the UFC win or lose in the last Strikeforce show)

DUTCH-F.E

Super Moderator
Apr 25, 2002
WWW.myspace.com
SO I guess my next question is what is next for Richard Chu and Scott Coker? The 2 brains who battled UFC with a small time gig, can they start another? I hate that UFC is really now the only show in town.... It just gives Dana and his crew too much power in my opinion. BUt Thank you for the breakdown InfamousICON @InfamousICON you are appreciated!

Props: InfamousICON

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Actually Dutch while the UFC is the top dog, Bellator is next in line and they just made a deal with SpikeTV and will debut this Thursday. They have some great fighters and their style of tourney is great for MMA. If u havnt checked out Bellator u should as they are easily next in line after the UFC. Matter of fact the UFC and Bellator are fighting for a great fighter named Eddie Alvarez as we speak. He is currently with Bellator and his contract ended and he was assured to go to the UFC but Bellator isnt backing down on negotiations to keep him so well see. I still think he ends up in the UFC but just saying dude from Bellator aint playing around. Got Em!!

Props: trips
Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Viacom bought out Bellator last year also, so with a billion dollar company and SpikeTV behind them Bellator might actually make a splash as the number 2 promotion.

Dana White was actually cracking jokes back when Viacom bought Bellator because at the time the government tried to get Zuffa on some anti-trust shit after they bought Strikeforce. Dana was talking about how Viacom has more money then they have and now UFC is a "mom and pop" organization lol

Dec 19, 2006
List of Strikeforce fighters coming to the UFC

UFC unveils list of fighters moving from Strikeforce to UFC | News*–*MMAjunkie.com

HEAVYWEIGHT
Daniel Cormier (11-0 MMA, 8-0 SF)

LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT
Gegard Mousasi (33-3-2 MMA, 4-1-1 SF)
Gian Villante (10-3 MMA, 3-2 SF)

MIDDLEWEIGHT
Champ Luke Rockhold (10-1 MMA, 9-0 SF)
Roger Gracie (6-1 MMA, 4-1 SF)
Tim Kennedy (15-4 MMA, 6-2 SF)
Lorenz Larkin (13-0 MMA, 4-0 SF)
Ronaldo Souza (17-3 MMA, 7-1 SF)

WELTERWEIGHT
Champ Tarec Saffiedine (14-3 MMA, 6-1 SF)
Roger Bowling (11-3 MMA, 4-3 SF)
Jason High (16-3 MMA, 3-0 SF, 0-1 UFC)
Nate Marquardt (32-11-2 MMA, 1-1 SF, 10-4 UFC)
Bobby Voelker (24-8 MMA, 4-1 SF)

LIGHTWEIGHT
Champ Gilbert Melendez (21-2 MMA, 11-1 SF)
Ryan Couture (6-1 MMA, 6-1 SF)
Pat Healy (29-16 MMA, 7-1 SF, 0-1 UFC)
Kurt Holobaugh (8-1 MMA, 0-1 SF)
Adriano Martins (24-6 MMA, 1-0 SF)
K.J. Noons (11-6 MMA, 3-4 SF)
Josh Thomson (19-5 MMA, 10-3 SF, 2-1 UFC)

Last edited: