MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
ABC body approves changes to MMA scoring criteria, new rules in landslide vote
ABC body approves changes to MMA scoring criteria, new rules in landslide vote - MMA Fighting

2 of the new rules/changes

Grounded fighter
A grounded fighter is defined as: Any part of the body, other than a single hand and feet touching the fighting area floor. To be grounded, both hands and feet, palm/fist down, and/or any other body part must be touching the fighting area floor. At this time, kicks or knees to the head will not be allowed.

Ben Hen used to ground him self a lot. i always thought that was a bullshit rule. you used to be able to just touch the ground with one finger.

Extended fingers
In the standing position, a fighter that moves their arm(s) toward their opponent with an open hand, fingers pointing at the opponent's face/eyes, will be a foul. Referees are to prevent this dangerous behavior by communicating clearly to fighters. Fighters are directed to close their fists or point their fingers straight in the air when reaching toward their opponent.

this fucks Jon Jones. that was one of his tools. Joanna Champion does this a lot too.

infinity

( o )( o )
May 4, 2005
UOENO, CA
ABC body approves changes to MMA scoring criteria, new rules in landslide vote

ABC body approves changes to MMA scoring criteria, new rules in landslide vote - MMA Fighting

2 of the new rules/changes

Grounded fighter

A grounded fighter is defined as: Any part of the body, other than a single hand and feet touching the fighting area floor. To be grounded, both hands and feet, palm/fist down, and/or any other body part must be touching the fighting area floor. At this time, kicks or knees to the head will not be allowed.

Ben Hen used to ground him self a lot. i always thought that was a bullshit rule. you used to be able to just touch the ground with one finger.

Extended fingers

In the standing position, a fighter that moves their arm(s) toward their opponent with an open hand, fingers pointing at the opponent's face/eyes, will be a foul. Referees are to prevent this dangerous behavior by communicating clearly to fighters. Fighters are directed to close their fists or point their fingers straight in the air when reaching toward their opponent.

this fucks Jon Jones. that was one of his tools. Joanna Champion does this a lot too.

This kills the Stockton Slap too wtf

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Heart of the 209 - MMA Fighting

reallllllyyyy long article, otherwise I'd post the whole thing... but it's really fucking cool if you're a Diaz fan, which most of us are.

So, I was coming out of the elevator and I caught eyes with Nick. He kind of tapped Nate, then Nate turned around and they were mugging me.
They put their arms up in that funky boxer style like they do, and they were like, ‘what, what?' Right there in the hallway.
What's that torture called, where [water] just keeps dripping on you? Like, it's not just two or three of them, but it'll just keep going and going and going? Chinese water torture. It's just like, alright, I can take that punch, I can take that punch, I can take that... okay... whoa, whoa, whoa, now it's coming. The Diaz Brothers would be good if there were hour-long scraps, you know? They'd win a lot of them.
From press conferences to weigh-ins to the fight, it's all a set-up. Little steps. He's taking you out of your zone. Once you're in his zone — SLAP!
It's embarrassing. It angers you. It makes you frustrated.
He just fucking slapped me... what the fuck?! What just happened right now? That's when you get angry and you're like, alright, I'm going to get this fucker for slapping me. And sure enough, he slaps you again. It just makes it worse and worse. Instead of sticking to what you trained for and just letting your body react, you're thinking of what to do. And in the cage, you can't think.
Like he told Conor, he said, ‘come talk to me in 10 years, let's see where you're at.' It's not like Nate has been taking easy fights. I don't think the guy has ever had an easy fight. He's taken on every person who they've put in front of him, even in that house, The Ultimate Fighter house. Look at the guys he was in the house with. Gray Maynard. Manny Gamburyan. I mean, Rob Emerson, Joe Lauzon, Cole Miller, Corey Hill. He had all of these guys in that house. He came out on top, and then they just started throwing him to the wolves, man. He's been fighting all the top guys. He's been in the game this whole time, and I think that's the hardest thing.
Especially in his situation, he got screwed. The best thing that ever happened to me was after The Ultimate Fighter, they cut me. So when I came back they had to renegotiate my contract. So you've got to remember this, when I fought Diaz — okay, Diaz beat me. Diaz beat me, and I made more money losing to him than he did beating me. I saw it. I saw the numbers. And that only happened because they cut me from my contract from The Ultimate Fighter.
Look, Nate got put into a situation. Had he lost, Nate would've just been thrown to the side. They would've never cared. They'd keep paying him his 50-and-50, or whatever it is that he's making, his 60-and-60 or whatever, and barely getting by and trying to make a living. That's how it would've been. But then the fact that he won, now it just leads into the next big fight.
Nate just got lucky in this scenario. He got lucky in a scenario where one trash talker talked trash to the wrong motherfucker.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
John Lineker vs. John Dodson set as main event for UFC Fight Night in Portland

A pair of bantamweight sluggers will duke it out when John Lineker meets John Dodson in the main event at UFC Fight Night in Portland, Oregon on Oct. 1.

UFC officials confirmed the new bout to FOX Sports on Saturday.

The five-round main event will highlight the UFC's return to Oregon for the first time in seven years.

Since moving to 135 pounds, Lineker has become an even more ferocious fighter than the performances he put on while competing in the flyweight division.

Thus far, Lineker has gone 3-0 in his new weight class, including a blistering knockout victory over former title contender Michael McDonald in his last trip to the Octagon.

Rarely has Lineker faced anyone with similar power on the feet, but he may find his equal in former two-time title challenger John Dodson when they meet in Oregon.

Dodson just recently returned to 135 pounds and made an immediate impact after he blasted Manny Gamburyan with a stunning 37-second knockout back in April.

Dodson already holds a knockout victory over former champion TJ Dillashaw, so it's clear he's looking to climb the rankings and get into title contention, but he'll have to go through Lineker to get there.

Tickets for the UFC Fight Night card in Oregon will go on sale Aug. 26 with more fights still to be announced for the upcoming show.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Biggest weight difference you could have in the UFC would be 206 lbs vs 266 lbs. I forget what Couture weighed when he fought Brock, but I'm guessing that after Brock rehydrated he was 60 lbs heavier than Randy.

In Japan they've had a lot of freak show fights, off the top of my head Minowa vs Hong Man Choi was probably 100+ lbs difference. And Minowa KOd him.

Keith Hackney beat the shit out of Emmanuel Yarborough when he was outweighed by 400 lbs The Giant Killer

Apr 25, 2002
So safe to say we'll possibly never see McGreggor/Lesnar.

never.

i know Conor said he wants a heavyweight in his octagon interview but that shit won't happen unless he goes up, which he aint. he talks a lot. that's why dumb ass ESPN really wonders if Nate will go down to 155 to fight Conor. they don't understand that Nate fought only 4 welterweight fights and had 24 lightweight fights prior to both Conor fights.