MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 10, 2006
I stand corrected, OSP entered the top 10 at number 10 one month before he fought Bader, and was immediately bumped back out until he TKO'd Shogun. So props to Bader, he beat month long number 10 lol

The UFC has rankings because people on sherdog and the ug cried and complained, plain and simple. You can even go back and see Dana White doing interviews when they instilled the new rankings system that gets voted on by the media, he basically treated the shit like a joke, because it is a joke, rankings in the UFC are pointless and always have been. Fox wanted to put numbers next to fighters names and internet keyboard warriors cried, hence "official" rankings.

Where did you get Phil Davis was on the verge of a title shot from? Dana White clowned Phil Davis repeatedly and it was well known he was going to negotiate with Bellator well before the Bader fight. Phil Davis was no where near a title shot by beating Bader.

You're talking about combat sports like it's black and white when in reality it's a gray area, always has been. Fights that sell go above fights that don't no matter what, been that way with boxing for decades, been that way in the UFC since the UFC has been a thing.

Gus is getting a title shot because when he fought Jon Jones, Jones had to be carried out of the cage by his trainers and carried out of the arena on a stretcher. More media outlets gave that fight to Gus than Jones, Gus was heralded as the uncrowned Champion. Ryan Bader on the other hand got mauled by Jones, tapped out by Tito fucking Ortiz, KO'd by Machida, KO'd by Glover etc. etc. the guy has never shown himself to be somebody that could win a fight that matters. How the fuck are they supposed to sell him as a challenger for the title? DC vs. Bader would probably do Mighty Mouse numbers on Pay Per View.

If Gus gets injured before the fight, by all means tag in Bader, but we have Rashad Evans calling out Bader right now, if Bader can beat Rashad he can finally prove he can win a fight that matters.

I'll let you take this round breh...

ON THE OTHER HAND...

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Max Holloway vs. Charles Oliveira To Headline UFC Fight Night: Saskatoon

This fight is gonna be dope as fuck.

Max Holloway vs. Charles Oliveira headlines UFC Fight Night card in Canada - MMA Fighting

UFC’s second trip to Canada in 2015 will be headlined by top ranked featherweights.

Max Holloway and Charles Oliveira, both fighters riding long winning streaks in the 145-pound division, are set to collide in a five-round bout on Aug. 23 at the SaskTel Centre in Saskatoon, Canada, The Star Phoenix reported on Monday.

Holloway (13-3) has looked impressive as of late, scoring five finishes in his current six-fight winning streak, including submissions over Cub Swanson and Andre Fili.

Oliveira (20-4, 1 no-contest) won four post-fight bonuses in his last four fights, defeating the likes of Nik Lentz and Jeremy Stephens.

"I really honestly believe that whoever wins this fight will be in a (No. 1) contender's fight next," UFC director of Canadian operations Tom Wright told The Star Phoenix.

The UFC Fight Night card will air live on Fox Sports 1, and tickets go on sale on June 26.

Apr 25, 2002
that chick is funny. she was fuckin with Esparza before she lit that ass up.

any mma fan who don't like chick fighters needs to watch Joanna Champion. she got better hands than damn near every guy.

Feb 10, 2006
Jacare’ Souza won’t wait for title shot, open to fight with Vitor Belfort

RIO DE JANEIRO --Luke Rockholdwill be the next to challenge UFC middleweight championChris Weidman, andRonaldo Souzaisn’t happy about it. The Brazilian middleweight, former Strikeforce middleweight champion and undefeated in five UFC fights, believes he did enough to earn a shot at the gold.

"Sometimes I wonder why people don’t give us credit," "Jacare" said during the UFC 190media day in Rio de Janeiro. "My fight with Rockhold (in Strikeforce) was a five-round war and people started to mock me, they didn’t know how tough Rockhold was. It’s good that they start believing in our work, in the Brazilians. Sometimes a loss happens, even if by the judges’ hands, but we come back stronger. I surprised against Mousasi, and will do the same to Rockhold, no doubt."

Souza, who avenged an old loss to Gegard Mousasi with a fourth-round guillotine choke last September, believes he should be the next in line, saying that Rockhold wins aren’t that impressive.

"I don’t think it’s fair," he said. "I thought that Rockhold should get past by me to fight for the title, or wait before I get my shot at the title. That’s the reality, there’s no other way, but unfortunately happened this way and we have to do one more fight.

"I don’t think (Rockhold) fought tougher fighters, I don’t know why people say that," he continued. "He fought Tim Boetsch, who has more holes in his game than a Swiss cheese. He fought Costa Phillipou, who can’t stop a takedown – but his merits for beating him standing. I fought Okami, who is tougher than them. I fought Mousasi, who is as tough as Lyoto – and he did a great job. And he fought Belfort, and I don’t even need to comment on that."

With Weidman vs. Rockhold official, "Jacare" won’t sit and wait for his opportunity.

"I’m anxious and always ready to fight," he said. "Give me a tough opponent and I will beat him up. I won’t wait for anyone. I was not born to wait, I was born to become champion."

Vitor Belfort, who recently lost to Weidman for the title in May, could be an option.

"I could fight him, yes," Souza said. "If he accepts, I can fight him."

Souza believes he’s a better grappler and striker than Weidman, and is not ready to call the champion a "Brazilian Killer" following wins over Anderson Silva, Vitor Belfort, andLyoto Machida.

"I’ve seen him fight at the ADCC and I know about his qualities, but he’s not a ‘Brazilian Killer’," Souza said. "I’ve seen two Brazilians beat him, one (Vinny Magalhaes) with a flying armbar, andAndre Galvao. When I fight him, I’ll show that I’m the champion."

Feb 10, 2006
I cant see Gil losing this fight but I don't think anybody saw Gil being 1-3 in the UFC. most dudes woulda been cut.

you can make the case of him being 3-1 as well tho, he "lost" a close split dec. to Eddie last week in high altitude as well as a razor thin split dec. fight with benson Henderson. I think he gets bac at it and destroys Iaquinta.(well, hoping at least, Al doesn't do it for me. not a fan of him)

Apr 25, 2002
you can make the case of him being 3-1 as well tho, he "lost" a close split dec. to Eddie last week in high altitude as well as a razor thin split dec. fight with benson Henderson. I think he gets bac at it and destroys Iaquinta.(well, hoping at least, Al doesn't do it for me. not a fan of him)
i don't remember the Bendo fight too much, but I do think he won the Alvarez fight. on paper he's 1-3. he musta begged for the Iaquinta fight. I don't fuck with Iaquinta since he started crying at his last fight.

Feb 10, 2006
Don't forget UFC Fight Night: Jędrzejczyk vs. Penne goes down tomorrow on fight pass. Heres photos of todays weigh-ins. Dat Ass from Penne tho...

Penne surprised Joanna with a ring lol