MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
^^ The US Marshall's are already tracking him down. There are cops and news reporters camped outside his apartment. Dog isn't going to get him.
Dog might not get him, but dude is a professional just like US Marshals are. difference is they're government employees and he's independent. and Marshals get to carry guns where ever they want.

Jan 9, 2004
She was still with him, he caught her fucking some dude (probably black),

LMAO!!!! And this is where I stop taking anything you say seriously Butch. Why the fuck does the guy who savagely beat her have to be black??? Dude, that shows where you're mind is coming from. Anyway, the guy wasn't black. Sorry to disappoint you. Try another theory based on stereotypes.

Feb 10, 2006
Rejecting surgery, Cormier looks at Kobe Bryant's recovery ahead of UFC 182 title fig

UFC title contender Daniel Cormier refuses to go under the knife before he faces light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, even though he has more time to fix a “jacked” right knee after their title fight’s postponement.

“I’m an old-school wrestling guy – put some tape on it, and let’s go to work,” Cormier (15-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) on Thursday told USA TODAY Sports.

Cormier, an Olympic wrestler-turned-MMA fighter, now gets five months to prepare for his grudge match with Jones (20-1 MMA, 14-1 UFC). The two brawled at a news conference earlier this month, sparking national headlines, but the bout was delayed when Jones suffered a torn meniscus and sprained ankle and forced the UFC to move the fight from September’s UFC 178 to UFC 182 on Jan. 3 in Las Vegas.

That’s a lot of tape, it seems, but Cormier isn’t so rigid as to reject a possible work-around.

“I’ve got a great doctor, and he makes everything accessible to me, so we’re going to look at some other things, like (platelet-rich plasma) therapy,” he said. “We may go overseas and do some stem-cell (therapy). There’s a whole bunch of options.”

Cormier pointed at Kobe Bryant’s comeback from an injury to his Achilles’ tendon as an encouraging sign. Another MMA star, ex-UFC champ and Bellator MMA fighter Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, underwent PRP therapy and said the procedure gave him the knees of an 18-year-old. UFC President Dana White used it to correct an inner-ear disorder.

“Kobe was OK in a matter of months,” Cormier said. “He was able to start the season after people thought that his age, he would be out much, much longer.”

PRP, which is not approved by the FDA, reportedly works for two to four years, which in theory could be great for an athlete like Cormier, who will fight Jones two months shy of his 36th birthday.

And even if the treatment doesn’t work as it could, Cormier said, he’s been doing pretty good on bad knees. Although he previously contemplated surgery, his concerns were centered around an injured lateral collateral ligament. With that problem now resolved, he sees no reason to undergo an invasive procedure.

“This is my knee as I know it,” he said. “I feel 100 percent, because I don’t know any better.”

Jones, meanwhile, said he was scheduled for surgery on Thursday. He apologized to fans for the bout’s delay and said he would work to recover as quick as possible.

Cormier thinks his opponent could use a little bit of the old-school mentality.

“These guys are modern-day athletes, which, it’s probably the smart thing to do,” he said. “You get it hurt, you get it fixed, and you take time away. I don’t have the luxury of time.”

Feb 10, 2006
UFC to introduce leg reach statistics for future events

Joe Rogan has been clamoring for it to happen for years, and coming soon, the UFC will finally introduce leg reach statistics at its events.

Typically, the organization’s pre-fight “Tale of the Tape” has been limited to a fighter’s country of origin, age, height and fingertip-to-fingertip wingspan.

There will be a brand new addition to that list in the near future, though, as the length of a fighter’s legs will be measured and listed, UFC officials confirmed to MMAjunkie.

“I think it’s a real positive for the sport,” FightMetric live statistics producer and research analyst Michael Carroll told MMAjunkie. “It could be a really interesting measurable, and I think it’s long overdue.

“We know what arm reach is, we know what a sizable discrepancy is in arm reach. Jon Jones with his 84.5 versus, say, Dan Henderson with 76. That’s a huge difference. But what’s a huge difference in leg reach? I have no idea. It’s going to take a little while on the analytical side of things to figure out what’s a good length in proportion to what weight class you’re in and what’s a sizable discrepancy. A sizable discrepancy in leg reach might be much smaller than arm reach.”

Leg reach will be measured from the hipbone to the heel. Even though measurements for every fighter still need to be gathered, one noticeable aspect is the fact there’s a much narrower gap in leg reach between two opponents as opposed to the arms.

“You’re not going to find as much discrepancy in these numbers as you see in some of the traditional reaches,” said UFC commentator Jon Anik. “When I looked at them for the first time today, the number that jumped off the page is Jack May at 6-foot-8, and his opponent Shawn Jordan is 5-foot-11, and their leg reach is only two-and-a-half inches different.

“I don’t think you’re going to see as big of discrepancies when it comes to the leg reach. It’s an important statistic, because we know how often knees and kicks are employed in mixed martial arts.”

From a broadcasting perspective, Carroll and Anik believe leg reach statistics will only enhance the viewer experience. It’s not yet known how, if at all, the numbers will impact fighter strategy, but the addition adds one more layer for athletes to think about.

“We’ll see if it makes a difference or not,” Carroll said. “It’s far too early to tell, but if there’s a way a fighter can maximize the way that he lands kicks and minimize the way his opponent lands kicks in any way that has to do with their reach, they’re going to look like absolutely striking geniuses.

“We know how fighters like to move and work to get out of someone’s arm reach or inside of their arm reach, but leg reach is totally different. I feel like now more than ever there are more fighters that are kick-based. You look at Edson Barboza and Daron Cruickshank. Kicks are becoming a larger part of the UFC, especially with finishes.”

In the big picture, MMA as a whole is still in its infancy. Whether or not leg reach makes a significant or minimal impact on the sport remains to be seen, but regardless, the introduction of enhanced fighter stats only helps the sport move forward.

“We all have know for some time that the way reach has been measured is somewhat flawed,” Anik said. “From a broadcasting standpoint, it’s all about information. Some people are going to think it’s advanced and cool, and I think other people will think it’s unnecessary.

“It’s going to be interesting to see some of these super long, lengthy guys who are super long for the division. To me, the more numbers the better.”

Feb 10, 2006
UFC 178 adds Donald Cerrone-Bobby Green, James Krause-Jorge Masvidal

Those who wrote off UFC 178 after the Jon Jones-Daniel Cormier main event was scrapped might want to have another look.

Next month’s pay-per-view in Las Vegas has a new addition, plus an amended one. A lightweight scrap between perpetual bonus winner Donald Cerrone (24-6 MMA, 11-3 UFC) and Bobby Green (23-5 MMA, 4-0 UFC) is on deck. Green was supposed to meet Jorge Masvidal (27-8 MMA, 4-1 UFC) on the card, but “Gamebred” now will get a bout with lightweight James Krause (21-5 MMA, 2-1 UFC).

UFC officials announced the new bouts late Thursday, not long after “Cowboy” took to his Twitter account saying he’d have imminent news of a fight.

UFC 178 takes place Sept. 27 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main card airs on pay-per-view with a new headlining flyweight title fight between champ Demetrious Johnson and Chris Cariaso. But the card also includes Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirier, the return of Dominick Cruz vs. Takeya Mizugaki, Tim Kennedy vs. Yoel Romero and the return of Cat Zingano against Amanda Nunes.

Cerrone has been one of the hottest fighters in the lightweight division. He has four straight wins, and all have won $50,000 bonuses. After an upset loss to Rafael dos Anjos less than a year ago, “Cowboy” has a submission of Evan Dunham, a head kick knockout of Adriano Marins, a submission of Edson Barboza and a head kick KO of Jim Miller, the latter coming less than a month ago in UFC Fight Night 45’s main event.

“King” Bobby Green is on a roll, as well. He owns eight straight wins, including his first four in the UFC. At UFC on FOX 12 in July, he took a split decision from Josh Thomson to build on a decision win over Pat Healy, a TKO of Krause and a submission of Jacob Volkmann. It’s been more than three years since his most recent loss, a split decision setback against Gesias Cavalcante in Strikeforce.

Krause got back in the win column in May when he got a TKO victory over Jamie Varner. That fight was notable due to a brutal ankle injury suffered by Varner in the first round – one that he continued to fight through until he couldn’t continue after the first five minutes. Before that, Krause had an eight fight winning streak snapped with his loss to Green, which came with some controversy.

Masvidal has won back to back fights by decision over Daron Cruickshank and Pat Healy to get rolling again after a decision loss to Rustam Khabilov. “Gamebred” survived a first-round knockdown against Cruickshank at UFC on FOX 12 to battle back in the second and third for the victory. The former Strikeforce title challenger has won five of his past six.

With the additions, UFC 178 now includes:

Champ Demetrious Johnson vs. Chris Cariaso – for flyweight title
Donald Cerrone vs. Bobby Green
Dominick Cruz vs. Takeya Mizugaki
Tim Kennedy vs. Yoel Romero
Amanda Nunes vs. Cat Zingano
Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirier
Brian Ebersole vs. John Howard
Patrick Cote vs. Stephen Thompson
Kevin Lee vs. Jon Tuck
James Krause vs. Jorge Masvidal
Manny Gamburyan vs. Cody Gibson

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Wow, War Machine got caught because he was pushing around and dragging a woman by her hair in front of the hotel he was at. How you gonna be so stupid to abuse a woman in public at 1:45 in the afternoon when you're on the run from federal marshals for beating a woman. lol dude is a moron.

MMA Fighter ‘War Machine’ Arrested in Simi Valley, Was Sought in Las Vegas Beating of Ex-Girlfriend | KTLA

A mixed martial-arts fighter from California who was sought in connection with the beating of his adult film star ex-girlfriend was arrested Friday in Simi Valley.
Las Vegas Metro police are still looking for a mixed martial-arts fighter accused of beating his ex-girlfriend, adult entertainer Christy Mack. Detectives aren't the only ones looking for War Machine, who was previously known as Jonathan Koppenhaver. Reality television star Duane Chapman, known as Dog the Bounty Hunter, said he is now hunting for War Machine. (Credit: CNN)

Las Vegas police were looking for a mixed martial-arts fighter accused of beating his ex-girlfriend, adult entertainer Christy Mack. Reality television star Duane Chapman, known as Dog the Bounty Hunter, also said he was hunting for War Machine. The fighter, aka Jonathan Koppenhaver, was arrested in Simi Valley Aug. 15, 2014. (Credit: Las Vegas Metro Police)

Jonathan “War Machine” Koppenhaver, 32, was taken into custody about 1:45 p.m. in Simi Valley by local police in conjunction with the U.S. Marshals Service.

An arrest warrant had been issued for Koppenhaver stemming from an incident in Las Vegas last week, according to police.

A former Simi Valley resident, Koppenhaver was found at the Extended Stay America Hotel located at 2498 Stearns St., just off the 118 Freeway (map), according to the Simi Valley Police Department.

He was arrested without incident, according to a news release from the U.S. Marshals Service, which stated he was wanted for the alleged assault of his ex-girlfriend.

A hotel guest who witnessed the arrest told KTLA that officers used a Taser on Koppenhaver.

“And they were like banging on the door, trying to get it open, and they’re like, ‘Open the door, open the door,” Nicolle Blankenship said. “Finally when they got it open they yelled, ‘Gun,’ and then all of a sudden you see them shoot him with a Taser. And he got shot with a Taser and he went down to the floor, and then they handcuffed him.”

Once officers were inside the room, they discovered “a small quantity of cash and some pizza,” a police news release stated.

Hotel guest Mary Casamento said she called police to the hotel after seeing a “big dude” yelling at and pushing a petite woman who was trying to calm him down. He grabbed her by the hair, Casamento said.

Koppenhaver was transported to the Ventura County Jail and was awaiting removal to Las Vegas, the Marshals Service said.
Jonathan "War Machine" Koppenahver was arrested at this hotel in Simi Valley on Aug. 15, 2014. (Credit: KTLA)

Jonathan “War Machine” Koppenahver was arrested at this hotel in Simi Valley on Aug. 15, 2014. (Credit: KTLA)

Christy Mack, Koppenhaver’s ex-girlfriend, on Monday posted graphic photos on Twitter showing injuries she said were dealt to her by Koppenhaver. A friend who was with her was also assaulted, she said.

Koppenhaver, in turn, took to Twitter to defend himself, saying he had planned to propose to Mack.

“I only wish that man hadn’t been there and that Christy & I would be happily engaged. I don’t know (why) I’m so cursed,” he tweeted Sunday. “One day truth will come out.”

Las Vegas police on Tuesday announced a warrant for his arrest in connection with the Aug. 8 assault. He was charged with several counts of battery, including by strangulation, as well as assault with a deadly weapon, coercion by force and “open and gross lewdness,” according to a news release from the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department.

A male and female victim had severe injuries that were not life-threatening, police said. The female victim was hospitalized.

A Las Vegas police spokesman told KTLA on Tuesday that investigators believed Koppenhaver had gone to Southern California.

In a statement she posted to Twitter, Mack said her ex-boyfriend arrived at her home around 2 a.m. and assaulted her and a friend.

Koppenhaver made her undress and shower in front of him and then assaulted her, Mack said. When he went into her kitchen, she feared he was getting a knife and ran out of the home and through her neighborhood, naked, to get help, she wrote.

She posted photos of herself bruised in a hospital, saying she suffered 18 broken bones, a ruptured liver and other injuries. She could not walk, chew or see out of her left eye, she said.

Their relationship had ended in May, Mack said.

A fundraising page set up for Mack’s medical expenses had raised more than $65,000 by Friday.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Did they cancel Manhoef vs Marshal? I was looking forward to that one
Probably not since that's happening in September.

Coker probably wants Daley to have a dope re-debut in November and knows it would be a great fight.

MMAJunkie tweeted the rumor so who knows if it's even true.

MMAjunkieVerified account ‏@MMAjunkie

Bellator prez Scott Coker tells @MMAjunkieSteven he plans to offer Manhoef a welterweight fight with Daley at Season 11 finale In November.

Last edited:

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
So Semtex said he won't fight Melvin, because he's his mentor and they trained together and stuff.
Good news is Eddie Alvarez just got released from Bellator. Who does everyone want to see him square up against in his first fight in the UFC? Assuming they don't pull an Askren with him tell him to fuck off lol

Feb 10, 2006
So Semtex said he won't fight Melvin, because he's his mentor and they trained together and stuff.
Good news is Eddie Alvarez just got released from Bellator. Who does everyone want to see him square up against in his first fight in the UFC? Assuming they don't pull an Askren with him tell him to fuck off lol

ALVAREZ VS. DIAZ!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
If Cerrone beats Green at 178 a fight with Cerrone would be great. I would love to see Diaz also if Nate decides he actually wants to fight.

Dude should just realize the UFC isn't gonna renegotiate a contract he signed just one fight earlier and they ain't gonna just give him a release either. Fight out your damn contract or sit on the shelf forever and be broke.