MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
Sonnen's a good talker and that sounds nice, but just playing around on the NSAC's website you can find everything he says he couldn't find.

NSAC's website with links here,

Drugs Medications

Exemption form location on the website with the following instructions, "Important Notice: If you use any prohibited substance before receiving a TUE Approval from the Commission, you run the risk of being found to have committed a doping violation should the Commission subsequently deny the request for a TUE. Fighters should refrain from using a Prohibited Substance of which they have requested a TUE until such request has been granted in writing by the Commission." and with a fax number on where to send the form here,

http://boxing.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/boxingnvgov/content/faq/TUE-NSAC_10-3-13.pdf

A list a banned substances that if you scroll down you specifically see what's prohibited "In competition" and what isn't. What Sonnen was taking can be found under S4 which according to the unfinable rules, is banned all the time and his theory on taking a vicodin is false because hydrocodone falls under the In competition set of rules, found here

http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/W...ed-list/2014/WADA-prohibited-list-2014-EN.pdf

I'm not saying he didn't have a legit reason to take them or anything, just that I don't believe he didn't have the means to figure out the proper channels on how to apply for an exemption besides right before the test and making it seem like the commission is shrouded in mystery.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
The only thing I bash Chael on in this situation is if he needed time to get off TRT he shouldn't have taken a fight 3 months after the shit got banned.

Although I guess he didn't really have a choice, when him and Wand coached TUF Brazil 3 TRT was still allowed and the fight was scheduled immediately after the season.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Chael Sonnen Official Retires From MMA

Sonnen Retires at 37 | UFC &reg - News

Following a whirlwind two days that began with a removal from July’s UFC 175 card due to a failed pre-fight drug test, three-time world title challenger Chael Sonnen has retired from the sport of mixed martial arts.

“I had a great time,” said Sonnen, who made the announcement on FOX Sports 1’s UFC Tonight show.

On Tuesday, it was revealed the Sonnen had failed a random pre-fight drug test administered in May for anastrozole and clomiphene - a pair of drugs that are used to block and/or reduce estrogen in the body. Both are on the Nevada State Athletic Commission and WADA’s banned substances list. Sonnen stated that he was using the drugs to help transition from the TRT that is no longer legal for fighters in Nevada.

“I want to stay within the rules, and I don’t fully understand them, and I have to put my health first,” said Sonnen. “I have to put my family first. If I know what I know now, and I know that this is going to work and I’m going to be able to get my wife pregnant and look forward to having a family, I’m going to do the exact same thing 20 more times, which is going to put me out of compliance 20 more times. Let me just remove myself.”

With Sonnen out of UFC 175 and a suitable replacement opponent not able to be found, Sonnen’s opponent, Vitor Belfort, has been removed from the card as well.

As for the self-proclaimed “American Gangster,” one of the most popular, yet polarizing, figures in the sport will walk off into the sunset, having challenged three times for UFC titles against Anderson Silva (twice) and Jon Jones. And while he fell short in those bouts, Sonnen’s impact was certainly felt over the course of his 17-year pro career, one which left him with plenty of people to thank Wednesday evening, including his coaches, friends, his employers past and present, and an old rival from Brazil

“I want to thank the single most important opponent that I ever had. I couldn’t have got to where I am without this dance partner, and it’s of course you, Anderson Silva,” said Sonnen, who engaged in classic bouts with the longtime middleweight champion in 2010 and 2012. “Thank you for the opportunity, thank you for the memories, thank you for the invitation to the barbecue, even though I didn’t take you up on it. I want to take an opportunity to officially announce my retirement from competitive mixed martial arts.”

Sonnen retires with a 29-14-1 record.

Jan 18, 2006
I still dont understand the whole testosterone thing and how hard it is to get back to a normal level. Just seems wierd that professional fighters arent able to to get there shit straight by fight time.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Benson Henderson vs Rafael Dos Anjos Headlines UFC Fight Night 49

Fresh off his submission win at UFC Fight Night 42, Benson Henderson has his next assignment and the UFC’s August card in Tulsa has its main event.

Henderson (21-3 MMA, 9-1 UFC) will meet Rafael dos Anjos (21-7 MMA, 10-5 UFC) in a five-round lightweight bout to headline UFC Fight Night 49. The Tulsa World first reported the news on Tuesday. UFC officials formally announced the fight later Tuesday evening.

UFC Fight Night 49 takes place Aug. 23 at BOK Center in Tulsa. The main card airs on FOX Sports 1.

Henderson just nine days ago submitted Rustam Khabilov in the main event of UFC Fight Night 42 in Albuquerque, N.M. It was the former lightweight champion’s first finish in the UFC after eight decision victories – three of them by split call. Henderson now has won back-to-back fights, both in headliners, since losing his title to Anthony Pettis this past August at UFC 174. In January, he took a split decision from Josh Thomson at UFC on FOX 10 in Chicago. The UFC Fight Night 49 spot will be Henderson’s eighth straight UFC main event.

Dos Anjos got back on track on the same card in Albuquerque, stopping Jason High with punches in the second round. After the loss, High complained of being punched in the back of the head and pushed the referee, then was released by the UFC for the infraction. Dos Anjos in April had a five-fight streak snapped by Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC on FOX 11 in Orlando when he dropped a unanimous decision. Before that, his run included decision wins over Donald Cerrone, Evan Dunham and Mark Bocek.

With the addition of the main event, the latest UFC Fight Night 49 card includes:

* Rafael dos Anjos vs. Benson Henderson
* Thiago Alves vs. Jordan Mein
* Timothy Elliott vs. Wilson Reis
* Tom Niinimaki vs. Chas Skelly

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Bader vs OSP Headlines UFC Fight Night 47

August’s UFC debut in Maine now has a main event, and it’ll feature two recent winners from UFC 174.

Main-card victors and rising light-heavyweight contenders Ryan Bader (17-4 MMA, 10-4 UFC) and Ovince Saint Preux (16-5 MMA, 4-0 UFC) will meet in the event’s headliner. UFC officials confirmed the bout via bangordailynews.com.

UFC Fight Night 47 takes place Aug. 16 at Cross Insurance Center in Bangor. The bulk of the card is expected to air on FOX Sports 1 following a few prelims on UFC Fight Pass.

Bader is currently ranked No. 9 and Saint Preux is No. 15 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA light heavyweight rankings.

Bader picked up his second straight win and his third victory in four fights with a unanimous-decision win over Rafael Cavalcante this past weekend. Although Bader, a 31-year-old who took up MMA after a decorated collegiate wrestling career at Arizona State, has failed to reach the upper echelon of the division, all of his UFC wins have come to former/current champions or title challengers.

Saint Preux is on a solid run of his own. After forcing a tap-out from injured Ryan Jimmo this past weekend, the 31-year-old Strikeforce vet is now 4-0 in the UFC and has won five consecutive victories overall. Saint Preux, a former collegiate football player who’s 13-1 since 2008, suffered his only setback to Gegard Mousasi during his recent run.

With the addition, the latest UFC Fight Night 47 card now includes:

* Ryan Bader vs. Ovince Saint Preux
* Tim Boetsch vs. Brad Tavares
* Shawn Jordan vs. Jack May
* Sam Alvey vs. Tom Watson

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
UFC 147 Co-Main Event Set with Jacare vs Mousasi

The UFC’s August return to Los Angeles now has its co-main event: a key middleweight matchup between a pair of former Strikeforce champions.

Ronaldo Souza (20-3 MMA, 3-0 UFC) is set to take on Gegard Mousasi (35-4-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) at UFC 176. UFC officials announced the new booking late Tuesday after an initial report from the Los Angeles Daily News.

UFC 176 takes place Aug. 2 at Staples Center in Los Angeles. The event’s main card airs live on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass. In the main event, featherweight champion Jose Aldo defends his title in a rematch against Chad Mendes.

Mousasi won the duo’s first meeting via upkick knockout in the 2008 DREAM middleweight grand prix final. It earned him the now-defunct promotion’s middleweight belt.

Mousasi is now coming off a main-event win over Mark Munoz at UFC Fight Night 41 in Berlin less than three weeks ago. There, he choked out Munoz in the first round to get back in the win column after a five-round unanimous decision loss to Lyoto Machida at UFC Fight Night 36 in February. Mousasi was Strikeforce’s light heavyweight champion, but lost the belt in his first title defense.

Souza won his sixth straight fight and stayed perfect in the UFC when he took a decision from Francis Carmont at UFC Fight Night 36 in Brazil. His first two UFC wins were first-round stoppages – a submission of Chris Camozzi in May 2013 and a TKo of Yushin Okami in September. “Jacare” won the Strikeforce middleweight title against TIm Kennedy in August 2010 and defended it against Robbie Lawler in January 2011. But he lost the belt to Luke Rockhold later that year before going on his current six-fight tear, which includes five stoppages.

With the addition of the co-main event, the latest UFC 176 card includes:

* Champ Jose Aldo vs. Chad Mendes – for featherweight title
* Gegard Mousasi vs. Ronaldo Souza
* Danny Castillo vs. Tony Ferguson
* Shayna Baszler vs. Bethe Correia
* Jussier Formiga vs. Zach Makovsky
* Fabricio Camoes vs. Gray Maynard
* Walmir Lazaro vs. James Vick
* Derek Brunson vs. Lorenz Larkin
* Bobby Green vs. Abel Trujillo

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Wanderlei Silva Admits To Taking Banned Substances As The Reason He Ran From Test

Wanderlei Silva admits to taking diuretics, punishment to be considered at later date - MMA Fighting

Speaking through his lawyer, Wanderlei Silva stated at Tuesday's Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) meeting that the reason he refused to undergo a random NAC sanctioned drug test on May 24 is because he was concerned that the test would show the presence of diuretics in his system, which he claims he began taking along with anti-inflammatories prescribed by a UFC doctor in order to help him recover from a fractured right wrist he suffered in February while coaching The Ultimate Fighter Brazil.

"I want to say, first and foremost, that Wanderlei Silva has been fighting for 20 years, has over 50 professional fights, and has never failed a drug test," said Silva's lawyer, Ross Goodman.

"He was taking diuretics for the sole purpose of minimizing the inflammation, to decrease the water retention. He now realized that he should have submitted to the drug test. He was surprised. It was the first time in his career where something like this (happened), out of competition, somebody showed up at his gym. That doesn't negate or minimize what Mr. Silva did. He's here to apologize to the commission, and he was concerned that the diuretics would show up on his sample."

Diuretics are commonly classified as a banned substance due to their use as a masking agent to prevent detection of other illegal substances in an athlete's system.

Silva's admission followed a detailed timeline of events laid out by NAC Executive Director Bob Bennett, as well as the independent representative who attempted to collect Silva's blood and urine sample on May 24 in advance of Silva's scheduled bout against Chael Sonnen at UFC 175.

The collector stated that he arrived at Silva's gym during the mid-afternoon and personally introduced himself to the fighter, explaining that he was there on request of the NAC and required a blood and urine sample, to which Silva replied in acknowledgement. Silva subsequently requested to speak to his manager/trainer, who was present at the gym, then briefly walked into an office in the middle of the gym before exiting quickly.

"[Silva] walked back to the front counter," the collector recalled. "And then walked past the office towards the back of the gym, and then went around the corner to the right. I casually followed behind him. When I turned around the corner, I realized there was an exit there and a bathroom. I didn't see him anywhere."

Silva's wife subsequently called the gym's phone and informed the collector that "they were not expecting the blood and urine test, and needed to do it later." After being informed that the test needed to be completed immediately, Silva's wife contacted Bennett and told the executive director that Silva would now "cooperate" with the collector, although she did not know where Silva presently was.

Silva did not respond to subsequent texts and calls from either the collector or Bennett, which led to Bennett contacting UFC Vice President of Regulatory Affairs Marc Ratner and explaining the situation.

"As you can see," Bennett said, "Between [the collector] and myself, we made every possible concerted effort to have Mr. Silva administer a blood and urine sample to us, to which he did not."

Goodman confirmed at Tuesday's meeting that Silva did not dispute any aspect of the commission's timeline of events.

"I think it's been well known that this commission has made an effort to eradicate unarmed combat on any illegal drugs or any unauthorized drugs," NAC chairman Francisco Aguilar said. "And in that effort we have developed a drug program that we feel helps us accomplish that goal, both in MMA and in boxing, and this is going to be part of the norm.

"It's well known that the UFC is working with us in that effort, and this is an example of what can happen if someone does not comply.

"Our intent was to find out and gather information so the other commissioners are aware of the facts as it pertains to this situation," Aguilar finished. "The commission will move forward with this drug program. We will take the information we gathered today in consideration and make a determination as to what our next steps will be."

Silva's case is expected be reviewed at a hearing on a yet-to-be-announced date, during which commission officials will deliberate regarding potential disciplinary action for the 37-year-old's refusal to submit to the May 24 random drug test.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Chael Sonnen Fails Second Drug Test For HGH and EPO

lol

Chael Sonnen fails second drug test, tests positive for HGH and EPO - MMA Fighting

Chael Sonnen tested positive for four banned substances earlier this month in a second random drug test administered by the Nevada Athletic Commission.

Sonnen, who recently announced his retirement from MMA, was asked to take a blood and urine test on June 5 in Portland, Ore., by the NAC because at the time he was scheduled to fight at UFC 175 on July 5 in Las Vegas. The commission learned earlier this week that Sonnen failed those tests due to the presence of human growth hormone (HGH), recombinant human erythropoietin (EPO), which is typically used to boost red blood cells that carry oxygen to the muscles, increasing stamina and endurance, anastrozole, used to treat early stages of breast cancer, and human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), the female fertility drug that is often used in an effort to restart testosterone production. Both Sonnen and the UFC were informed of the news earlier this week by the commission.

NAC chairman Francisco Aguilar confirmed the news with MMAFighting.com.

When contacted by MMAFighting.com on Saturday night, Sonnen provided the following statement:

"Yes, the Commission is aware of other prescribed medications I was taking and I will not challenge their allegations. I will cooperate with the Commission and look forward to having a dialogue about how fighters who transition off TRT can avoid violating any rules."

It was announced on June 10 that Sonnen had failed the first drug test administered by the NAC on May 24 due to the presence of banned substances anastrozole and clomiphene. The commission decided to subject both Sonnen and his opponent at the time Wanderlei Silva to random drug testing leading up to UFC 175 as part of their enhanced drug testing procedures, which has really ramped up this year. Following the news of his failed test, Sonnen was pulled from the event and subsequently announced his retirement from the sport effective immediately.

On June 17, the commission handed Sonnen a temporary suspension with the promise of a full verdict to come in the near future. However, that was before they were informed of the second drug test failure. Sonnen admitted to taking the substances, as well as HCG, stating he needed them to complete his transition off testosterone replacement therapy (TRT).

According to Aguilar, Sonnen's case has now been amended to include the second test failure, and he will be on the next NAC meeting agenda, which is scheduled for July 23 in Las Vegas.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Chael Sonnen Fired From UFC and Fox As Analyst

UFC, FOX terminate broadcasting services agreements with Chael Sonnen - Mixed Martial Arts News

Former UFC fighter Chael Sonnen tested positive for prohibited drugs last month. Although the drugs were prescribed by a physician as part of a regimen to wean his body from Testosterone Replacement Therapy, he did not get them cleared by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Sonnen subsequently retired as a fighter. However, he remained on a co-host of FOX Sports UFC Tonight, with Kenny Florian.

Then in a second surprise test, Sonnen tested positive for drugs that are not part of a conventional treatment plan to deal with coming off TRT, like HGH and EPO.

There were calls that the UFC should pressure Sonnen to retire from his position as a commentator, as a sign of the importance they place on keeping the sport clean.

Now there are multiple reports that the UFC and FOX are cutting ties with the former fighter. It is not know if this is on a permanent or temporary basis.

The UFC and FOX released a public statement:

“The UFC and FOX Sports organizations announced today the termination of their respective broadcasting services agreements with analyst Chael Sonnen. This decision comes in light of Sonnen failing a second test conducted by the Nevada Athletic Commission for banned substances in June. Sonnen was previously under temporary suspension by the Nevada Athletic Commission for failing an initial test conducted in May.”