MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Tito Ortiz looking for further role with Affliction?

When free agent light-heavyweight Tito Ortiz (15-6-1) was announced as a special guest at Affliction's recent press conference, rumors began to swirl that "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy" would be fighting for the upstart organization.

Those rumors were immediately halted when Ortiz was introduced as a broadcaster, and not a fighter, for the Jan. 24 "Day of Reckoning."

But Ortiz later hinted to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the organization may still be in the running for his services as a fighter.

"When I'm 100 percent, I feel really bad for a lot of these light-heavyweights who are competing in Affliction," Ortiz said. "Because I beat one of the guys -- and I guess there's three more on the card to do.

"Everybody else keeps saying, 'What do you think of 'Babalu' (Sobral) here? What do you think about (Vladimir) Matyushenko here? 'Little Nog,' now Sokoudjou. Like I say, 'Fresh meat.' Once I'm 100 percent, people are going to get the best fights possible in a Tito Ortiz fight."

Ortiz is currently recovering from a recent surgery on his back that included the fusion of three of his discs. The 33-year-old said he still needs another six months of rehabilitation in order to recoup fully from the procedure. That time frame fits perfectly with the termination of his UFC contract.

"Yes, (the UFC can match any offer I receive until June) if they choose," Ortiz said. "I've got to stick to my fight contract on that and just wait for it to finish out. You know (Andrei) Arlovski did the same thing, too, when he was waiting. Why give them a chance to match it?"

Ortiz said his desire to compete outside of the UFC has nothing to do with financial offers.

"It's just respect value," Ortiz said. "It's not about money anymore. I have all the money I need in the world. I have nothing to worry about money-wise. It's about respect now, and [UFC officials] don't respect me as a person. They don't respect me as a fighter. They don't respect me as a businessman.

"I'm going to go somewhere where people do respect me and do treat me the way that I think I deserve to be treated after 11 years of competition and after five title defenses -- and doing some of the pay-per-view buys that no other fighter in MMA has ever done. But I've got to give thanks to all my fans that have been helping me promote myself and helping me get those pay-per-views."

Ortiz was in this same position just a few short months ago with EliteXC. The collapse of that organization prevented Ortiz from signing, and the former UFC champion feels that he could have proved valuable in saving the financially doomed promotion.

"There was a little hesitation (in negotiating) there in the beginning after [the EliteXC] fell through," Ortiz said. "(EliteXC Head of Fight Operations) Jeremy Lappen is an awesome guy, and I kind of feel bad for him. I know that the rug got pulled from underneath his feet, as it did mine.

"I think CBS should have taken a little look into it and maybe taken a chance and thrown the dice on me. I would have bet on myself."

Ortiz believes Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio and his organization understand the value he can bring to the promotion.

"Affliction is the group who understands that now," Ortiz said. "I think bringing Golden Boy Promotions along with it is what intrigues me 100 percent to come aboard, because Golden Boy knows how to promote fighters like no other.

"I'm really excited to be a part of this. It would be nice to see a '24/7' with Tito Ortiz in it. I think a lot of fans would love to see that, also."

While it would seem there are many positive signs that Ortiz will soon find himself within the ropes of Affliction, the fighter himself stopped just short of confirming the possibility.

"There's a possibility of that happening," Ortiz said. "But right now I'm just going to focus on commentating and let the fight stuff fall in place when it does."

Feb 7, 2006
Brian Bowles vs. Miguel Torres likely for WEC in April

WEC bantamweight champion Miguel Torres (35-1 MMA, 4-0 WEC) appears likely to put his WEC bantamweight title on the line for the third time in April.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned that Torres and undefeated challenger Brian Bowles (7-0 MMA, 4-0 WEC) have verbally agreed to meet in April in as-yet-unannounced WEC event likely headed to Chicago.

Contracts have not yet been signed by either fighter, but multiple sources close to the event indicated that both fighters have agreed to the bout.

Bowles is Georgia native that has yet to taste defeat in his seven professional bouts. The 28-year-old has made four trips to the WEC, earning stoppage wins wins over Will Ribeiro, Damacio Page, Marcos Galvao and Charlie Valencia.

Five of Bowles' seven career victories have come via submission.

The bout would represent a homecoming of sorts for Torres. The 27-year-old hails from East Chicago, Ind., just across the Indiana state line from Chicago.

Torres is currently riding a 16-fight win streak, including all four of his bouts for the WEC. The lanky 135-pounder is considered by many MMA pundits to be among the top pound-for-pound fighters in the world.

Torres earned the WEC bantamweight title with a submission win over Chase Beebe in February. He has since defended the title twice, with TKO wins over Manny Tapia and Yoshiro Maeda.

An exact date and venue for the event have yet to be announced.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 94 bout order confirmed, Fitch vs. Gono on preliminary card

The UFC today released the bout order for "UFC 94: St. Pierre vs. Penn II," scheduled for Jan. 31 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

The card will feature an unprecedented main event between two current UFC champions when Georges St. Pierre meets B.J. Penn in a highly anticipated rematch of their 2006 meeting.

The rescheduled bout between 205-pound contenders Lyoto Machida and Thiago Silva, originally slated for UFC 89, will also be featured on the evening's broadcast.

Stephan Bonnar, returning for his first fight since an October 2007 win over Eric Shafer, will meet undefeated light-heavyweight prospect Jon Jones.

And rounding out the night's bouts guaranteed for broadcast are a welterweight fight between perennial contender Karo Parisyan and undefeated Korean product Dong Hyun Kim, as well as a recently-added lightweight bout between Nate Diaz and Clay Guida.

In a bit of surprise, a welterweight clash between former No. 1 contender Jon Fitch and the always dangerous Akihiro Gono has been relegated to the evening's preliminary card. Fitch had won a record eight-straight bouts in the UFC before dropping a unanimous decision to St. Pierre in their August welterweight title bout.

The full card includes:

MAIN CARD

* Welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre vs. lightweight champ B.J. Penn (for welterweight title)
* Lyoto Machida vs. Thiago Silva
* Stephan Bonnar vs. Jon Jones
* Karo Parisyan vs. Dong Hyun Kim
* Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Jon Fitch vs. Akihiro Gono
* Manny Gamburyan vs. Thiago Tavares
* John Howard vs. Chris Wilson
* Jake O'Brien vs. Christian Wellisch
* Matt Arroyo vs. Dan Cramer

Feb 7, 2006
Three more bouts official for "WEC 38: Varner vs. Cerrone"

The WEC today announced three additional bouts for January's "WEC 38: Varner vs. Cerrone" on their official website.

Edgar Garcia vs. Hiromitsu Miura, Anthony Njokuani vs. Ed Ratcliff, and Frank Gomez vs. Scott Jorgensen were all added to the card.

"WEC 38: Varner vs. Cerrone," which also features a featherweight bout between Urijah Faber and Jens Pulver is scheduled for Jan. 25 at the San Diego Sports Arena in San Diego, Calif. The main card will air live on Versus.

Garcia (6-0 MMA, 0-0 WEC) will be making his WEC debut. The undefeated young fighter debuted professionally in 2007, and has earned four of his six career wins by knockout or TKO.

Miura (9-5 MMA, 2-2 WEC) last fought for the WEC in an August welterweight title contest with Carlos Condit. The 27-year-old Japanese fighter fought toe-to-toe with Condit for nearly four full rounds before succumbing to a TKO loss.

Njokuani (9-1 MMA, 0-0 WEC) will be making his WEC debut. The Texan won the first seven bouts of his career before being submitted by Donald "Cowboy" Cerron in an April 2007 bout for Ring of Fire. Njokuani has since bounced back with two first-round victories.

Ratcliff (6-1 MMA, 2-1 WEC) will be looking to rebound from the first loss of his career. Ratcliff was submitted by Marcus Hicks at WEC 33 in March. That win earned Hicks a title shot with lightweight champion Jamie Varner, thought Hicks would fall short in the bout.

Gomez (5-0 MMA, 0-0 WEC) is an undefeated 22-year-old prospect fighting out Greg Jackson's camp in New Mexico. A former state wrestling champion, Gomez has also trained with the Cesar Gracie Academy and Fairtex in California.

Jorgensen (5-2 MMA, 1-1 WEC) has fought twice previously for the WEC. A veteran of ShoXC and Ring of Fire, Jorgensen was last in action in an August win over Kenji Osawa at WEC 35.

In addition to these formally announced bouts, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has been able to confirm with sources close to the card two additional contests. Jose Aldo vs. Fredson Paixao and Mike Campbell vs. Danilo Villefort are expected to be announced in the near future.

The full card now includes:

* Champ Jamie Varner vs. Donald Cerrone (for WEC lightweight title)
* Urijah Faber vs. Jens Pulver
* Edgar Garcia vs. Hiromitsu Miura
* Anthony Njokuani vs. Ed Ratcliff
* Frank Gomez vs. Scott Jorgensen
* Seth Dikun vs. Charlie Valencia
* Jose Aldo vs. Fredson Paixao
* Mike Campbell vs. Danilo Villefort
* Marcus Hicks vs. TBA

Feb 7, 2006
Anderson Silva vs. Thales Leites likely for April date in Montreal

While speculation has placed UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva (23-4 MMA, 8-0 UFC) in a number of matchups in both the middleweight and light-heavyweight division, it appears likely that "The Spider" will be defending his title at an as-yet-unannounced date in April.

Sources close to the bout have indicated to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Silva and fellow Brazilian Thales Leites (14-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) have verbally agreed to the contest. Bout agreements have yet to be signed.

While an official date and venue for the event have yet to be announced, the sources indicated that the UFC is eyeing a return to Montreal for the card.

Rumors had been widely circulating that Silva was a candidate for a main event bout at UFC 95 in London, or that the middleweight champion would be looking to have another go at a light-heavyweight contest. Both of those rumors now appear untrue.

Silva is currently riding a nine-fight winning streak that includes all eight of his trips to the octagon. The 33-year-old was last seen in a widely criticized third-round TKO win over Patrick Cote at UFC 90 in October.

Leites will bring a five-fight win streak of his own to the title fight.

The 27-year-old debuted in the UFC in 2006, losing a unanimous decision to Martin Kampmann. The loss was just the first of Leites' career, and the submission ace has since reeled off victories over Drew McFedries, Nate Marquardt, Ryan Jensen, Floyd Sword and Pete Sell.

The Nova Uniao fighter also owns submission wins over Jose Landi-Jons, Jason Guida and Gustavo Machado prior to his stint with the UFC.

If the currently targeted location of Montreal holds true, it will mark just the UFC's second trip to Canada.

The organization first visited Montreal in April 2008 for "UFC 83: Serra vs. St. Pierre 2." That event sold-out the 21,000-plus seat Bell Centre in record time, prompting UFC President Dana White to promise that the UFC would "definitely" return to Canada for a second event.

Feb 7, 2006
INJURY NOT SERIOUS, BADER PLANS EARLY RETURN

Following his ascension to the top of The Ultimate Fighter heap when he defeated Vinny Magalhaes at The Ultimate Fighter 8 Finale, Ryan "Darth" Bader received a medical suspension from the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

The suspension follows a post-fight examination of his right hand, the same right hand that dropped Magalhaes to the canvas and put Bader on top of the world.

His medical suspension runs through June 9, 2009, unless his right hand is x-rayed and cleared by a doctor.

"I haven't been to the doctor yet, but it's feeling better already," Bader told MMAWeekly Radio recently. "When I got into the locker room, taking the gloves off, I think it's maybe a soft tissue something. I really don't feel I broke anything."

He obviously doesn't seem too concerned with seriousness of the injury. "I think it's just a little tear or something. I kind of did the whole thing with a doctor that was in town and he was like, 'I don't think it was broken,' a doctor that was at or gym. So, I'm pretty confident that I can get cleared whenever I want to."

That's good news both for Bader, who would surely like to start capitalizing on the six-figure contract that came along with winning The Ultimate Fighter, and for the UFC, who would surely like to get him back in the Octagon and take advantage of his newfound recognition from the popular reality series.

Feb 7, 2006
Georges St. Pierre named ‘Canadian Athlete of the Year’ 2008 in landslide

“It’s an honour for me to have this award and being the first MMA guy to receive something like this. I want to congratulate the other nominees because they have done an incredible job in their respective sports, making this an even more special honour…. I want to thank everybody for their support and voting for me — I want to be a good Canadian ambassador for the sport and represent MMA well.”

UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre responds to being named the 2008 Canadian Athlete of the Year by SportsNet.ca voters in a week-long competition, defeating hockey player Jarome Iginla, Paralympian Chantal Petitclerc, tennis player Daniel Nestor and baseball player Justin Morneau. “Rush” received a resounding 89 percent of the votes. He will defend his 170-pound title at UFC 94: “St. Pierre vs. Penn 2″ on January 31.

Feb 7, 2006
MMA Quick Quote: Gilbert Melendez mulls move to UFC

“I have one fight left with Strikeforce. Right now, I’m really happy with them…. There is the possibility I could stay there with them, but I don’t know, we will see how it goes. The UFC has always been a big dream of mine. The UFC is a great organization. I love that show. But MMA is a business now and I have got to make sure things are in my best interest. The fighter in me wants to just go to the UFC and just go test myself with everyone. I’m under contract right now part of my contract is we cannot discuss it so I wouldn’t do that. But I hope and believe they are interested. It’s something I would consider. At the end of the day I’m a fighter and I have a life so I have to do what is in the best interest for me.”

– Top-ranked lightweight and former Strikeforce 155-pound champion, Gilbert Melendez, talks about a possible move to the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) once his contract with Strikeforce expires. In the meantime, the talented 26-year-old Cesar Gracie-trained mixed martial artist is clamoring for a rematch against Mitsuhiro Ishida. Melendez — along with training partner Jake Shields — are highly coveted free agents (sorta and almost, respectively) who could make find themselves competing inside the Octagon in 2009 sooner rather than later. However, Strikeforce is currently the only promotion to have a relationship with a major national broadcast network (NBC), which could be an ace up its sleeve heading into the New Year. There is a real possibility for fighters to get insane exposure to a massive nationwide audience if the promotion can grow its partnership to include live shows on the Peacock Network. That’s the business side of things.

Feb 7, 2006
Karo Parisyan vs. Dong Hyun Kim now official for UFC 94

A rumored welterweight matchup between former UFC welterweight title contender Karo Parisyan and Korean sensation Dong Hyun Kim has been officially added to the UFC 94 main card, according to the UFC’s official web site.

Parisyan, a former Junior National Judo Champion, has not fought since April 2 at UFC Fight Night 13, where he was TKO’d against Thiago Alves at 0:34 of round 2.

The Armenian native had been scheduled to compete at UFC 88 in September against Yoshiyuki Yoshida but he was scratched from the card just days prior to the event after it was determined he was in no condition to compete.

Nicknamed “The Stun Gun,” Kim is 11-0-1 overall and 2-0 since signing with the UFC following an 7-0-1 stint with the Japan-based DEEP promotion.

Making his debut at UFC 84 this past May, Kim TKO’d Jason Tan via elbows at 0:25 of round 1. He returned at UFC 88, where he recorded a split decision victory over Matt Brown.

UFC 94 take place on Saturday, January 31 and will emanate from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The event will be headlined by Georges St. Pierre defending his UFC welterweight title against current UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn.

Additional matchups for the card include the return of Stephan Bonnar taking light heavyweight prospect Jon Jones, Lyoto Machida vs. Thiago Silva, Jon Fitch vs. Akihiro Gono, Clay Guida vs. Nate Diaz, Christian Wellisch vs. Jake O’Brien, Manny Gamburyan vs. Thiago Tavares, and Dan Cramer vs. Matt Arroyo.

Feb 7, 2006
Bader, Escudero, Team LG Teaming Up with MTX For Contest

The Contest (more official rules to follow): Write a blog and submit it on www.lgfighter.com as to why you are the Ultimate MMA Fan. The best blog will win a grand prize package fit for The Ultimate Fan. The use of images, personal stories, LG fighters or our sponsors will benefit the selection of the winning blog but are not required. There will be multiple winners but only one grand prizewinner will be chosen. For more information, go to the contest homepage.

Grand Prize is round trip air fare from anywhere in the Continental US to Phoenix, AZ, three night stay at a hotel in Tempe, train or just hang with some of the stars of The Ultimate Fighter, WEC and UFC (lunch, dinner and a training sessions at Arizona Combat Sports). The winner will get to hang with TUF 8 winners Efrain Escudero and Ryan Bader, WEC Champs Carlos Condit, Jamie Varner, TUF Stars CB Dollaway, Jesse Forbes and other up and coming UFC and WEC fighters

(2) Official and worn on the show, Team Jerseys from TUF 8 (Team Nog donated by Ryan Bader) and TUF 7 (Team Rampage Donated by CB Dollaway) signed by the cast

One (1) set of playing cards that were hand drawn and played with on this seasons TUF 8, they also include all the signatures of the fighters in the house donated by Efrain Escudero.

One (1) - MTX Audio complete car sound system –
If you want bass that can rattle grampa’s dentures loose in the car next to you at a stop light, look no further! MTX Audio’s Thunder TC subwoofer systems are a radical design that takes bass output to a whole new level and when powered by an MTX X500D amplifier, you know you have a package built with KO power. Now combine this package with some crystal clear TDX speakers from MTX and you are on your way to the afterparty! Visitwww.mtx.com for more information.

One (1) $200 in free plays at Diamond Sports Book
One (1) Ed Hardy Watches, the watch of MMA stars, Gladiator CEL watch
One (1) LG Fighter Hat (as worn at the TUF 8 Finale
One (1) MTX Audio Beanie

Second Place Winners will receive

One (1) MTX Terminator systems
One (1) signed MTX MMA T-SHIRT
One (1) MTX Audio Hat
One (1) Team MTX MMA Poster signed by the MTX MMA Team

Third Place Winners will receive

One (1) iThunder ipod boom box
One (1) MTX t-shirt
One (1) MTX MMA Team poster

Wild Card Round:

If you spread the contest to other sites and get people to post for each post that goes live and credits you for helping them find the site you get entered for a chance to win the Wild Card Prize: Soundolear or MTX Audio System for the Car, iThunder and an iPod Nano to play on your iThunder. Your name has to be mentioned in the person’s blog to qualify for the wild card round. There needs to be at least three people entered to activate the wild card round.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC’s Euro Drug Testing a Faustian Bargain

We are less than a month out from the UFC’s most recent foray into their European adventure, UFC 93 from Ireland on January 17th. If this were a card emanating from Las Vegas we would be hearing the news that all athletes had cleared their out of event drug testing. Nevada’s out of competition testing is as the benchmark for the sport, a long needed step in the right direction to ensure that athletes are competing clean. Nevada’s testing plan is being hailed by the California State Athletic Commission as a model that they hope to implement in their recent overhaul of their often assailed drug testing procedures. With Nevada’s model becoming the de facto standard for Steroid testing, it is curious the testing regimen of the UFC has chosen for their Euro shows.

Little if anything is known about the drug testing procedures of the UFC when they put on their European cards. These cards take place by and large beyond the scope of any athletic commission to provide adequate testing of athletes. The only real information that surfaces comes when an athlete on one of these Euro cards tests positive, like Chris Leben from their card in Birmingham this past October. MMAPayout.com sought to get more information on how the drug suspension of Leben was handled, but UFC brass referred back to a vague press release on the company’s website. The lack of transparency by the UFC in respect to their steroid policies is not the ideal situation if they want to give the public the impression that their fighters are not using performance enhancers.

One seeming thing that can be deduced from the UFC’s testing is that they aren’t doing out of competition testing, instead deciding only to test after the competition. Such a plan can be the only explanation why Leben was able to perform in the the main event of the Birmingham card against Michael Bisping. Out of competition testing prior to the event would have popped Leben well in advance of the event. The alternative is that they do have out of competition testing and Leben was allowed to compete anyway, which I don’t believe is the case. Such a scenario would be a PR nightmare that wouldn’t be worth it for such a high profile sport still in its fledgling stages.

The UFC seemingly goes with a less than optimal drug testing procedure, but the reasoning behind the moves aren’t hard to guess. After the fact testing like the UFC implements for their Euro cards has the least amount of impact on the card. Any drug failures aren’t learned about until after the fact, allowing for a more stable product to sell to TV viewers or PPV buyers, whichever may be the case. It is a strategy that comes off more as more cynical than safe, and more bottom line motivated than competitive minded. The Leben pairing was an ill fated one from the beginning, with their first scheduled date being sidelined by a period of incarceration for Leben. Using out of competition testing prior to their Birmingham bout would have only served to further torpedo the match-up. The seeming conclusion to be drawn from the UFC’s testing decisions is that convenience trumps completeness when testing is left to the whims of the the promoter. Questions about the UFC’s durg testing procedures will only increase as they ramp up the volume of their international cards in 2009.

Feb 7, 2006
K-1 Dynamite Available as Online PPV

The world’s biggest combat sports event, DYNAMITE!!, is tipped to become a live online global phenomenon.

Talks are underway for an historic online pay-per-view to over 100 countries, including the United States of America, United Kingdom, entire European Union, China, South East Asia, Russia, India, Australasia, and South America.

Held December 31st (New Years Eve) at the Saitama Super Arena in Tokyo, Japan, the Dynamite!! event is described as the Superbowl of Mixed Martial Arts.

The internet deal is expected to be made official in the next few weeks.

The www.eventmagic.tv broadcast would be an unprecedented and uncut PPV transmission allowing fans to enjoy the entire scope of fighting and entertainment that is Dynamite!! including the superstar staging, incredible sound, and the awesome pyrotechnics of every ring entrance as well as multi camera perspectives of every round of every fight. With more than 15 fights on the night, Dynamite!! is building into a brutal end of year finale.

Dynamite!! 2008 will take place at the Saitama Super Arena in Japan. The magnificent venue, which is home to DREAM MMA events and was the former home of PRIDE Fighting Championships, has also played host to the FIBA Basketball World Championships, NHL Hockey, NBA Basketball, WWE professional wrestling and concerts by Mariah Carey and Queen.

For the first time ever Dynamite!! will pool together the greatest fighters from various arms of FEG’s promotional juggernaut including DREAM, K-1 GP, K-1 MAX and K-1 Koshien (under 18’s).

Former PRIDE darling “The Gracie Hunter” Kazushi Sakuraba will finally take on his arch-nemesis Kyoshi Tamura in a battle many years in the making. PRIDE and K-1 star, Mirko “Cro Cop” is said to be making a highly anticipated return to the ring, while awesome Brazilian lightweight JZ Calvan takes on DREAM Light Weight Grand Prix Champion Joachim Hansen, who has big wins over the likes of Takanori Gomi, Caol Uno, Masakazu Imanari, Yves Edwards, and Shinya Aoki to name a few.

More superbouts of epic proportions will be announced in the lead-up to the event.

Mr Jeremy Ta’kody, Managing Director of Event Magic TV, believes an online pay-per-view broadcast of this years Dynamite!! will reach many fight fans who otherwise would be unable to see the fights live.

“Using new video streaming technology we are able to deliver a high resolution, full-screen, live event experience over the internet to millions of viewers, even over very low bandwidths,” says Mr Ta’kody. “Dynamite!! is an event like no other and we would be thrilled to deliver this supershow to every single person on the planet.”

Those unable to watch Dynamite!! due to time zones or other New Years Eve commitments will still be able to watch the event in all its glory via pre paid video-on-demand at a time that is convenient to you.

“We would be thrilled to host the biggest fight spectacular on the planet and give fans a real treat on New Year’s Eve,” says Mr Ta’kody. “Dynamite!! is an event like no other. It has the biggest crowds, many of the best fighters, and the highest production values in lighting, staging, sound and pyrotechnics that are out of this world. In short, it’s amazing.”

With over 15 bouts on the card there will be plenty of opportunity for spectacular knockouts and mixed martial arts styled submissions from some of the worlds best fighters.

Dynamite!! is renowned for producing match-ups fans have only dreamed of, with past offerings of Dynamite!! NYE and Dynamite!! USA featuring: Brock Lesnar’s MMA debut; Sakuraba vs Funaki; Sakuraba vs Royce Gracie; Akebono vs Royce Gracie; Genki Sudo vs Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto; Jerome LeBanner vs Bob Sapp; Yoshihiro Akiyama vs Francois Botha; Genki Sudo vs Butterbean; and Melvin Maenhoff vs Dong Sik Yoon.

“Should the deal go ahead we are working on a surprise for everyone,” says Mr Ta’kody. “An end of year gift. You will have to wait and see what it is.”

For further information and event bookings register your interest at: www.eventmagic.tv Sponsors can contact Event Magic TV via email [email protected].

Feb 7, 2006
Bob Sapp Added To Dynamite

DREAM has announced that Bob Sapp will be participating at Fields Dynamite against Kinniku Mantaro.

Kinniju Mantaro is no joke, in which he has won the All-Japan Wrestling Championships seven times in a row.

The Wrestling Credentials Of Kinniku Mantaro

For people who think that Kinniku Mantaro (Born: March 9th, 1983) is just a normal pro-wrestler or a joke. Here are his amateur wrestling credentials from 2004 (+ All-Japan 2005-2007 wins) and before:

1999:
National Senior High-School Greco-Roman Wrestling Championships (96 kg) 1st Place

2000:
Inter High-School Champion
National Senior High-School Greco-Roman Wrestling Championships (96 kg) 1st Place
National Sports Festival Boys Freestyle Wrestling (120 kg) 1st Place
All-Japan Student Freestyle Wrestling Championships (120 kg) 3rd Place

2001:
All-Japan Selection Freestyle Wrestling Championships (120 kg) 3rd Place
All-Japan Student Freestyle Wrestling Championships (120 kg) 1st Place
All-Japan Freestyle Wrestling Championships (Emperor’s Cup) 1st Place

2002:
All-Japan Selection Freestyle Wrestling Championships (120 kg) 1st Place
World Championships 11th Place
Asia Championships 6th Place

2003:
All-Japan Selection Freestyle Wrestling Championships (120 kg) 2nd Place
National Sports Festival Adults Freestyle Wrestling (120 kg) 3rd Place
Prime Minister Cup 1st Place

2004:
All-Japan Selection Freestyle Wrestling Championships (120 kg) 1st Place
All-Japan Student Greco-Roman Wrestling Championships (96 kg) 1st Place
Prime Minister Cup 1st Place

2005 (Only one I know):

2006 (Only one I know):

2007 (Only one I know):

This is a serious prospect entering MMA.

Feb 7, 2006
WEC's Will Ribeiro "making progress" in recovery from accident

WEC bantamweight fighter Will Ribeiro is making progress in his attempt to battle back from a life-threatening motorcycle accident, according to Ribeiro's manager, Ed Soares.

Ribeiro (10-2 MMA, 1-1 WEC) has been comatose for just over a week after a motorcycle on which Ribeiro was a passenger crashed on a rain-slicked road in his native Brazil.

Initial reports from Ribeiro's doctor gave him just a 50-50 chance of surviving the injuries, but Soares told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the Brazilian fighter's condition is improving.

"He's still in a coma, but he's improving," Soares said. "The doctor seems very hopeful."

The 25-year-old WEC and Shooto veteran most recently fought on the undercard of "WEC 37: Torres vs. Tapia." Ribeiro was submitted by 135-pound contender Brian Bowles, marking just the second defeat of his five-year career.

Despite the severe nature of the injuries, Soares indicated that Ribeiro is showing signs of improvement.

"Will Ribeiro is starting to make some recovery," Soares said. "He's starting to make some progress. He started to move his legs. He's making some progress."

Ribeiro's condition is still critical, and his fight for recovery is far from over. But Ribeiro's family and friends remain hopeful of his eventual recuperation. Soares said those concerned could take solace in each small victory along the way.

"His situation is improving," Soares said.

Feb 7, 2006
Matt Grice vs. George Sotiropoulos on tap for UFC Fight Night 17

A lightweight showdown between Matt Grice (9-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) and "The Ultimate Fighter 6" veteran George Sotiropoulos (9-2 MMA, 2-0 UFC) is the latest proposed fight for "UFC Fight Night 17: Lauzon vs. Franca."

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today learned of the expected bout from a source close to Grice.

Bout agreements have been distributed and should be finalized shortly.

Grice will be returning to action for the first time since his October 2007 "Fight of the Night" with Jason Black at UFC 77. Grice put his MMA career on hold for the past year in order to complete training at the Oklahoma City Police Department academy. With that training behind him, the 27-year-old will now renew his commitment to the UFC.

Grice's manager, Scott Newell, recently told MMAjunkie.com he expected his client to take a tune-up fight in a smaller organization before returning to the UFC. However, with this announcement that potential seems unlikely.

Sotiropoulos will also be returning from an extended layoff. The Australian native last fought in the UFC at UFC Fight Night 13 in April. The 31-year-old earned a TKO win over Roman Mitichyan that night, but an injury has kept him out of action since.

Sotiropoulos remained with his coach from "The Ultimate Fighter," Matt Serra, for his continued training. Sotiropoulos will carry a three-fight win streak into the bout.

The full card now includes:

MAIN CARD (Spike TV)

Hermes Franca vs. Joe Lauzon
Mac Danzig vs. Josh Neer
Nick Catone vs. Amir Sadollah
Denis Stojnic vs. Cain Velasquez
PRELIMINARY CARD (Un-aired)
Rich Clementi vs. Gleison Tibau
Jake Rosholt vs. Alessio Sakara
Rob Emerson vs. Kurt Pellegrino
Matt Grice vs. George Sotiropoulos

Feb 7, 2006
Alistair Overeem: I'm fighting Badr Hari on New Year's Eve

It may not involve anime, but the latest rumored bout for the year-ending FieLDS Dynamite!! 2008 certainly involves two characters.

According to Alistair Overeem's official website, the "Demolition Man" will meet former K-1 heavyweight champion Badr Hari in a K-1 rules match at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.

The bout has yet to be officially announced, but the report claims it will be the first of a planned two-fight series with Hari.

The full post is reproduced, unedited, below.

The discussion was who would fight under whos rules first and Alistair stepped up first! Alistair will fight Badr Hari at K1 Dynamite 31 december under K1 rules! Since Badr Hari challenged Alistair he sees no other option than cause another demolition and knock Badr Hari out! Both fighters agreed to fight in MMA rules early 2009!

Overeem and Hari have both found themselves at the center of controversy in recent months, so the bout could have an interesting feel of villain vs. villain.

Overeem was involved in a no contest with Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic at DREAM.6 in September. The Dutch fighter landed several knees to Filipovic's groin throughout the fight. The strikes eventually rendered Filipovic unable to continue, and the fight was declared a no contest due to the illegal nature of the strikes.

Overeem and Filipovic have had a continued war of words since the incident, and it was initially believed the pair would meet on this card. Filipovic will indeed appear in the event, but against South Korean giant Hong Man Choi.

Hari recently found himself in hot water with K-1 after his performance in the organization's World GP 2008 Final earlier this month. After defeating Peter Aerts and Errol Zimmerman to earn a place in the night's finals, Hari was disqualified for illegal strikes to his downed opponent, Remy Bonjasky.

K-1 stripped Hari of his heavyweight kickboxing title and did not pay him for his participation in the event.

Although Overeem vs. Hari has not yet been officially announced, the Japanese-based website Nightmare of Battle is reporting that the bout, along with two to three others, may be announced as soon as tomorrow in order to finalize the Dec. 31 event.

The full card currently includes:

"Kinniku Mantaro" vs. Bob Sapp
Hong Man Choi vs. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic
Daisuke Nakamura vs. Hideo Tokoro
Artur Kyshenko vs. Yoshihiro Sato*
Badr Hari vs. Alistair Overeem*
Semmy Schilt vs. Siala "Mighty Mo" Siliga
Eddie Alvarez vs. Shinya Aoki
Mark Hunt vs. Jerome Le Banner
Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Kiyoshi Tamura
Gesias "JZ" Calvancante vs. Joachim Hansen
Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Kozo Takeda*
Gegard Mousasi vs. Musashi*
Hiroya vs. Shimada Shota*
Kusakabe Ryuya vs. Urabe Koya*
* - Fight will be conducted under K-1 rules

Feb 7, 2006
ELIOT MARSHALL SHOOTING FOR EARLY 2009 RETURN

Stepping into the season eight "Ultimate Fighter" finale show as the biggest odds on favorite to win his fight, Eliot Marshall did not disappoint as he choked out former housemate Jules Bruchez in just over a minute of their 205-pound divisional bout during the preliminary undercard.

Marshall prepared for the fight between his home camp in Colorado and Greg Jackson's team in New Mexico, where he sparred alongside fighters such as Rashad Evans, Keith Jardine, Nate Marquardt, and others to get him ready for his first official fight in the UFC.

With his initiation into the Jackson camp, Marshall was required to perform the new team pre-fight ritual that has become a mainstay for all the fighters and a favorite talking point among fans.

"Rashad said I had to," Marshall said about the infamous nipple tweak. "I had to talk to my wife about it too, like a couple days before. I wasn't quite sure how to put it."

Obviously the team's good luck charm worked in Marshall's favor, as he was able to dispatch of his opponent with quick work in the first round. Being the heavy favorite, he understood the pressure was on him to win and he made a very conscious effort to fight with an extra sense of urgency.

"When that's the situation you tend to fight not to lose," Marshall commented about being the favorite. "That tends to happen sometimes when you're supposed to win. I just didn't want to do that. Duane (Ludwig) kind of helped me out a little bit; he yelled at me a little bit."

The Amal Easton black belt had intended to show more of his stand-up skills in the fight. He managed to rock Bruchez early on with a right hand, but an accidental low blow made him decide for the ground game instead of a continued pursuit on the feet.

"I wanted to keep it standing a little bit, but in the clinch he kneed me in the groin and it hurt kind of bad. I knew he was hurt still, so I figured if I was going to stay on my feet, the ref would separate it and give him time to recover so I just took him down," Marshall said.

With the win, he moves on in his career with the UFC and while no definitive plans have been made just yet, he hopes to return in early 2009.

"I'd probably like to take the holidays and just relax and then fight again in March," Marshall stated.

Feb 7, 2006
GILBERT YVEL NOT CLEARED FOR AFFLICTION... YET

Gilbert Yvel still has one bridge to cross before getting a crack at Josh Barnett.

The controversial Pride veteran has been denied a license in Nevada stemming from various altercations during his fighting career, but most prominently from an incident in which he attacked a referee.

Yvel will not be cleared to fight Barnett at Affliction’s “Day of Reckoning” on Jan. 24 in Anaheim, Calif. until he meets privately with representatives from the California State Athletic Commission.

In an email sent Monday to MMAWeekly.com, Assistant Executive Officer Bill Douglas wrote that Yvel is scheduled to meet with him and Chief Athletic Inspector Dean Lohuis shortly after the start of the New Year. The outcome of the meeting will determine whether he is licensed to compete.

“I wish it was sooner because if he is not licensed, it wouldn't be a surprise to the promoter and the fans and more importantly, there would be plenty of time to find an opponent for Josh Barnett,” wrote Douglas.

Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio was cited in a recent report by fiveouncesofpain.com as saying, "Yvel has been cleared through the CSAC (California State Athletic Commission),” before adding, "He has promised to be a clean fighter.”

Douglas refuted that claim.

“Mr. Atencio wasn't even close to being correct in his assessment of Gilbert Yvel's licensing situation,” wrote the California official.

When contacted for comment, Atencio on Monday evening told MMAWeekly.com he may have mischaracterized Yvel’s participation at a press conference for “Day of Reckoning” last Wednesday.

“It's still being finalized,” he said. “Obviously, (the CSAC has) the final say. Hopefully, I didn't overstep them. So far it looks promising and they've given us a pretty good response, but it's up to the athletic commission to decide.”

He obviously is not committing to Yvel's participation on the Jan. 24 card, but Douglas said that his agency does not want to be the unwarranted cause of disrupting a promoter's plans.

“I don't want our office to be responsible for any further last minute cancellations,” he stated to MMAWeekly.com. “The only time it will happen from this point forward is because of a severe medical condition that could comprise the health and safety of an athlete and his or her competitor.”