MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
5 Oz. Video: Anthony Johnson talks Cung Le, feelings about Kevin Burns, and more

FiveOuncesOfPain.com was afforded the opportunity to speak with UFC welterweight prospect Anthony Johnson soon after his knockout victory over Kevin Burns during the live finale for the eighth season of The Ultimate Fighter.

The stunning high kick delivered to Burns not only improved Johnson’s record to 6-2, but it earned him a $25,000 bonus for “Knockout of the Night.”

You can watch the interview below to get Johnson’s thoughts on working with Cung Le; his feelings towards Burns and the infamous eye poke; how his conversation with referee Steve Mazzagatti went that ensued the week after the original eye poke incident; Johnson’s goals for 2009; and more.

Feb 7, 2006
JUSTIN LEVENS & WIFE FOUND DEAD ON WEDNESDAY

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship and World Extreme Cagefighting middleweight Justin Levens and his wife were found dead on Wednesday from gunshot wounds in their Laguna Niguel, Calif. home, according to a report on TMZ.com.

An online report from CBS 2 in Los Angeles, citing Sheriff's spokesman Jim Armomino, said that the couple was found in bed by the woman's mother, who then called 911.

Levens fought in numerous organizations over the past few years including the UFC, WEC and the IFL. The former Ruas Vale Tudo student was scheduled to compete on the first Affliction card in July of this year, but due to delays at the event, the fight was scrapped at the last minute. He later returned positive results for the drug Oxymorphone as part of his pre-fight drug testing and was subsequently fined and suspended for six months, which would have run through Jan. 15, 2009.

Born in Philadelphia on April 18, 1980, Levens was 28 at the time of his death. His wife, identified by CBS 2 as Sarah McLean-Levens, was 25.

Feb 7, 2006
Badr Hari is stripped of his K-1 heavyweight title

Sportsnoavi reported about FEG's press conference in Tokyo on December 17. In the conference, FEG announced the penalties against Badr Hari's action in K-1 World GP 2008 on December 6.

Sadaharu Tanikawa K-1 event producer:
“After having a meeting with Nobuaki Kakuda rule director, judges and FEG, we decided to give him the heaviest penalties in K-1 history. He is stripped of his heavyweight title and not paid for his participation in K-1 World GP. We don't suspend his license in K-1 because our current rules don't allow us to do that. We are going to modify the rules to allow for suspensions starting 2009. We take back our plan of offering him fights in Dynamite and K-1 event in March. We haven't reached a decision when he comes back. We expect a lot from him. We hope he gets mentally stronger, and regain the title of K-1 champion someday.”

Badr Hari accepted the FEG's decision and made an apology for his action.
“I'm sorry that my action disappointed my fans. I truly regret what I did. I hope I can come back to K-1 ring soon.”

Tanikawa also commented about Satoshi Ishii.
“I'm very disappointed to hear his decision of challenging to the UFC. If he hasn't contracted with them yet, I don't give up. I will try to convince him to stay in Japan. It's great for him to pursue his dream, but he is too good to let go easily.”

Feb 7, 2006
UFC Fight Night 17 Headed to Florida; Matchups Announced

Joe Lauzon will collide with former lightweight title challenger Hermes Franca in the main event at UFC Fight Night 17 on Feb. 7 at the USF Sun Dome in Tampa, Fla. The UFC made the bout official on Thursday.

Lauzon (17-4) has posted seven wins in eight fights, losing only to the world-ranked Kenny Florian in that time span. A product of season five of “The Ultimate Fighter” reality series, the 24-year-old has never gone to a decision in 21 professional bouts. Lauzon last appeared at UFC Fight Night 15 in September, when he stopped Kyle Bradley on second-round strikes. He has secured 13 of his 17 career wins by submission and holds victories against former UFC lightweight champion Jens Pulver and reigning World Extreme Cagefighting featherweight titleholder Mike Thomas Brown.

Franca (19-7), meanwhile, got himself back on track with a unanimous decision win over former teammate Marcus Aurelio at UFC 90 in October. A Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt with a wealth of experience upon which to draw, he has been finished only once in 26 career bouts. Wins over reigning WEC lightweight champion Jamie Varner, former International Fight League titleholder Ryan Schultz and Nathan Diaz highlight his resume. He, like Lauzon, holds a submission victory against Brown.

In another pivotal lightweight battle, Mac Danzig, season six winner of “The Ultimate Fighter, will square off with the durable Josh Neer, as the UFC makes its first stop in the Sunshine State since June 2007.

Danzig (18-5-1) finds himself on the rebound after a decision loss to Clay Guida at UFC Fight Night 15 three months ago. The well-rounded 28-year-old has been stopped only once – by Japanese star Hayato Sakurai – in his seven-year career. Danzig christened his UFC career with wins submission wins against Tom Speer and Mark Bocek.

Neer (24-7-1), like Danzig, enters the bout in need of a victory. Based out of the Miletich Fighting Systems camp in Bettendorf, Iowa, he dropped a split decision to Diaz at UFC Fight Night 15. Neer, a proven finisher, has secured 20 of his 24 career wins by knockout, technical knockout or submission. The 25-year-old counts victories over Din Thomas, Joe Stevenson and Melvin Guillard among his conquests.

Also announced were a heavyweight bout between Cain Velasquez and Denis Stojnic, and a middleweight bout between Amir Sadollah and Nick Catone. A lightweight showdown between Rich Clementi and Gleison Tibau is rumored.

UFC Fight Night 17 will air live Feb. 7 on Spike TV from 9:00 – 11:00 p.m. ET/PT.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC Fight Night 17 Headed to Florida; Matchups Announced

Joe Lauzon will collide with former lightweight title challenger Hermes Franca in the main event at UFC Fight Night 17 on Feb. 7 at the USF Sun Dome in Tampa, Fla. The UFC made the bout official on Thursday.

Lauzon (17-4) has posted seven wins in eight fights, losing only to the world-ranked Kenny Florian in that time span. A product of season five of “The Ultimate Fighter” reality series, the 24-year-old has never gone to a decision in 21 professional bouts. Lauzon last appeared at UFC Fight Night 15 in September, when he stopped Kyle Bradley on second-round strikes. He has secured 13 of his 17 career wins by submission and holds victories against former UFC lightweight champion Jens Pulver and reigning World Extreme Cagefighting featherweight titleholder Mike Thomas Brown.

Franca (19-7), meanwhile, got himself back on track with a unanimous decision win over former teammate Marcus Aurelio at UFC 90 in October. A Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt with a wealth of experience upon which to draw, he has been finished only once in 26 career bouts. Wins over reigning WEC lightweight champion Jamie Varner, former International Fight League titleholder Ryan Schultz and Nathan Diaz highlight his resume. He, like Lauzon, holds a submission victory against Brown.

In another pivotal lightweight battle, Mac Danzig, season six winner of “The Ultimate Fighter, will square off with the durable Josh Neer, as the UFC makes its first stop in the Sunshine State since June 2007.

Danzig (18-5-1) finds himself on the rebound after a decision loss to Clay Guida at UFC Fight Night 15 three months ago. The well-rounded 28-year-old has been stopped only once – by Japanese star Hayato Sakurai – in his seven-year career. Danzig christened his UFC career with wins submission wins against Tom Speer and Mark Bocek.

Neer (24-7-1), like Danzig, enters the bout in need of a victory. Based out of the Miletich Fighting Systems camp in Bettendorf, Iowa, he dropped a split decision to Diaz at UFC Fight Night 15. Neer, a proven finisher, has secured 20 of his 24 career wins by knockout, technical knockout or submission. The 25-year-old counts victories over Din Thomas, Joe Stevenson and Melvin Guillard among his conquests.

Also announced were a heavyweight bout between Cain Velasquez and Denis Stojnic, and a middleweight bout between Amir Sadollah and Nick Catone. A lightweight showdown between Rich Clementi and Gleison Tibau is rumored.

UFC Fight Night 17 will air live Feb. 7 on Spike TV from 9:00 – 11:00 p.m. ET/PT.

Feb 7, 2006
Mike Wessel replaces Mark Burch on UFC 92 preliminary card

UFC newcomer Mike Wessel (8-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) replaces Mark Burch (9-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) in a UFC 92 fight with Antoni Hardonk (7-4 MMA, 3-2 UFC), the UFC recently announced.

No reason was given for the departure of Burch, a BodogFIGHT veteran who signed with the UFC earlier this year after posting a four-fight win streak.

The Wessel-Hardonk fight is slated for the un-aired preliminary card of UFC 92, which takes place Dec. 27 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Wessel, a two-year professional, is currently riding a seven-fight win streak. The former University of Arkansas assistant strength and conditioning coach will fight for the sixth time in 2008. He currently trains at the Little Rock-based Westside Kickboxing and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

Hardonk, a former kickboxer, made his octagon debut at UFC 65 and defeated Sherman Pendergarst via first-round TKO. The 32-year-old Dutchman then suffered back-to-back losses to Justin McCully and Frank Mir before recently scoring TKO victories over Colin Robinson (in just 17 seconds) and Eddie Sanchez.

Feb 7, 2006
Dave Herman vs. Mu Bae Choi announced for Jan. 4 Sengoku event

EliteXC heavyweight contender Dave Herman (13-0) will make his World Victory Road debut against PRIDE veteran Mu Bae Choi (7-3) at the organization's Jan. 4 Sengoku event.

WVR added the bout to its official fight card earlier today.

The event takes place at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) previously mentioned that Herman was likely to make his Japanese debut at the upcoming event.

Herman turned pro in late 2006 and spent much of his early career with the Indianapolis-based Legends of Fighting organization. The former Indiana University wrestler has posted stoppages in all 13 of his professional victories -- with all but one coming in the first round. He went 3-0 for EliteXC with wins over Mario Rinaldi, Ron Waterman and Kerry Schall.

Although still under contract to EliteXC, Herman most recently fought Chris Guillen (13-11) at a Nov. 22 King of Kombat event in Texas. Herman forced a TKO stoppage due to strikes just 92 seconds into the fight.

Choi, 38, debuted with PRIDE in 2004 and fought for the organization five times (4-1); his only PRIDE loss came to notable Sergei Kharitonov (16-3). He'll go for his third win in four fights when he meets Herman. The Korean's only loss during the streak came to UFC veteran Marcio Cruz at Sengoku Third Battle in June.

Feb 7, 2006
"The Ultimate Fighter 8" cast member Tom Lawlor plans drop to middleweight

"The Ultimate Fighter: Team Nogueira vs. Team Mir" cast member Tom Lawlor (5-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC), who defeated Ryan Lopez in a preliminary bout before losing to eventual show winner Ryan Bader in the show's quarterfinals, is planning to drop a weight class and compete in the UFC's middleweight division.

Lawlor scored a unanimous-decision victory over Kyle Kingsbury on the undercard of the show's Dec. 13 live finale.

With the victory, Lawlor has been assured at least one additional fight in the UFC. A loss likely would have meant the end of his UFC career.

"This is now my livelihood," Lawlor told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "If I didn't win that fight, I don't know what I would have done. I really tried not to give it too much thought because I didn't want to be like, 'Well, I have a backup plan,' because all I really want to do is fight.

"I knew that if I didn't get the W or put on a Fight of the Night performance I probably wouldn't be coming back."

Instead, Lawlor, who said he's "pretty sure" his left hand was broken during the Kingbury fight, earned the unanimous-decision victory. He now plans to return in March 2009 and drop from 205 to 185 pounds.

"I'm not walking out of [my UFC fights] with Chuck Liddell money at this point ... so it's really hard for me to eat as many calories as I need to," Lawlor joked. "Plus, I really, really like to booze on the weekends, so a lot of money goes to that. I really don't have a lot of money for food, so I've been losing weight at a rapid rate ever since I quit my job about a year ago. It's been kind of tough for me to keep the weight on."

Lawlor said his walking-around weight is about 205 pounds, and he said the size difference was quite obvious between him and a true light heavyweight such as Kingsbury. He said the drop in weight class was the "obvious" decision to make.

Lawlor, who enjoyed a brief career as a professional wrestler in Florida, was a stand-out high-school athlete and all-state heavyweight wrestler. He also went on to become a three-time National Collegiate Wrestling Association All-American at the University of Central Florida. He made his pro MMA debut in March 2007, and before joining the cast of "TUF," went 4-1 to start his career. His only loss came via disqualification (illegal knee) to fellow cast member Shane Primm earlier this year at a World Fighting Championships event.

Lawlor, a former member of American Top Team Orlando, now owns his own gym, The Jungle MMA, with Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt Mike Lee. The facility is also home to UFC veteran Seth Petruzelli.

For now, Lawlor said he is just happy knowing he's earned himself some additional time in the UFC, an organization he's followed as "a big-time fan" since UFC 4 in 1994.

While nursing the hand injury, he continues working with Petruzelli and strength coach Jim Smith from dieselcrew.com. As with the Kingsbury fight, the Florida-based Lawlor also plans to return to his stomping grounds in Massachusetts, where he trains at Lauzon MMA and Team Aggression with fellow UFC fighter Joe Lauzon, Dan Lauzon and others.

"You could say I'm also very closely affiliated with them," Lawlor said. "I have a really good relationship with them."

Feb 7, 2006
Sources: Deal to acquire ProElite’s assets believed to be near completion

In recent hours FiveOuncesOfPain.com has been informed by sources that ProElite, Inc. has accepted a bid to sell its assets to an outside company.

However, Five Ounces of Pain has been unable to verify the identity of that company. It is also unclear whether the company came close to receiving its asking price of $9 million. An announcement could be made by the end of business on Thursday, or possibly on Monday.

Several companies have submitted formal bids to ProElite in recent weeks, with the company believed to have set a Thursday deadline to decide on a buyer. Sources have indicated that if a bid was not accepted soon, ProElite would not have had enough money to continue operations and likely would have filed for bankruptcy.

Over the weekend, multiple sources identified a group led by King of the Cage promoter Terry Trebilcock and a financial backer as the leading candidate to acquire ProElite’s assets.

Other groups said to have made bids were Strikeforce; a group led by former EliteXC Director of Fight Operations Jeremy Lappen; and another group headed by former ProElite COO William Kelly. Sources have confirmed that neither Strikeforce or Lappen’s bids were successful.

Published reports also suggested that Mark Ecko’s Ecko Enterprises had also submitted the bid, but two separate sources have informed Five Ounces of Pain that Ecko was never a serious contender and it’s uncertain whether they even submitted a formal bid.

Multiple sources have also revealed that the UFC expressed an interest in ProElite’s assets at one point before deciding not to pursue matters any further.

While ProElite’s fighter contracts are considered to be a valuable asset, industry insiders have stressed to Five Ounces of Pain that it’s the company’s television contracts with Showtime and CBS that are perceived as the most valuable asset. However, it remains to be seen just how valuable the CBS contract is.

While the terms of CBS’ agreement with ProElite contains a mutual option, only one more fight exists under the current deal. Being that CBS is also a major network, it retains the right to cancel the contract at any time so the remaining broadcast is not guaranteed.

Furthermore, a source says that what CBS has told companies interested in placing a bid on ProElite that they would be paid a rights fee of $400,000 per show. However, any company that inherits the television contract would also be obligated to cover CBS’ production costs, which are believed to be as much as $500,000.

Under the aforementioned financial terms, a fight group could potentially lose money promoting shows on CBS. However, the same source indicated that under the terms of the deal, a company would have the ability to sell some of CBS’ ad inventory and if they were successful in that regard, they could turn a profit on the show.

The terms also do not factor in the intangible value of using free-over-the-air television to build potential pay-per-view drawing cards. But being able to take advantage of such a platform in order to build stars is far from a given, as EliteXC was only able to build Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson and Gina Carano into true ratings movers. And while Slice and Carano were legitimate ratings movers, their ability to draw pay-per-view buyers was never tested.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC Signs Dutch Heavyweight Stefan Struve

He will make his debut at UFC 95 in London, although his opponent has not been agreed upon.

“I think I can beat most of the guys there. They have five or six really good heavyweights. The other guys... not so good, I think,” Struve told us.

Struve (22-2) was picked up by the promotion after submitting UFC veteran Mario ‘Sukata’ Neto several weeks ago.

And in July, he stopped another UFC veteran – Colin Robinson – with a triangle after a one-sided first round.

Just 20 years old, Struve has tapped two Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belts in his four-year career and has won more than 75 per cent of his fights by submission.

Feb 7, 2006
GSP In Donruss Sports Legends Series

Following on the heels of his involvement in the Topps UFC card set due for a January 2009 release, UFC Welterweight champion Georges St Pierre will also be included in the Sports Legend Series being issued by Donruss. The Sports legend series just recently hit the market, being released on December 12th.

GSP was also included in the earlier Ring Kings set from Donruss. It should be interesting to see what kind of exclusivity agreements are in the deal with Topps, and whether athletes will still be able to cut deals on their own like with Upper Deck and Donruss. GSP’s inclusion in this set likely marks a pre-existing contract, so it may not be the best indicator to the future availability of guys to sign side marketing deals.

Feb 7, 2006
Levens’ Autopsies Suggest Murder-Suicide

Autopsies of light heavyweight Justin Levens and his wife Sara McLean-Levens conducted Thursday further suggest a murder-suicide, though the reports have not been deemed conclusive and the case is still pending further investigation.

Levens, 28, and his wife Sara, 25, were found dead Wednesday from gunshot wounds in their home in Laguna Niguel, Calif.

“It was a chest wound that penetrated her heart and killed her and his was to the head,” said Jim Amormino, said O. C. Sheriff Coroner’s Office spokesman Jim Amormino.

Initial evidence suggests Justin Levens was the shooter. Amormino said a handgun had been discovered close to the fighter’s body in the couple’s bed. Sara McLean-Leven’s mother found the bodies together in bed on Wednesday after not hearing from her daughter for five days.

The autopsy reports estimated the time of death occurred approximately four days ago. No suicide note was found at the scene.

Authorities also took into custody what appeared to be prescribed painkillers and anti-depressant medication, though they were not found in the standard-marked pharmaceutical containers denoting whom they belonged to.

A two-time UFC competitor, Levens had tested positive for the painkiller oxymorphone in pre-fight testing for a bout against Ray Lazama at Affliction "Banned" on July 19 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., according to the California State Athletic Commission. The bout had been cancelled that night due to time constraints.

Toxicology reports of both bodies will take six to eight weeks, said Amormino.

The fire department had been called to the residence twice in the last month, according to Amormino, once for a potential drug overdose and once for smoke coming out of the home.

Amormino was unable to confirm who had overdosed or what the drug was and if anyone had sought out medical care at the time.

Feb 7, 2006
EDDIE ALVAREZ GEARING UP FOR ESPN-BELLATOR

As the sport of mixed martial arts continues to grow all over the world, Bellator Fighting Championships may be the biggest expansion into the Latin market that has been made so far. Debuting on ESPN Deportes in 2009, Bellator made a huge move last month signing on No. 2 ranked lightweight Eddie Alvarez to fight in its inaugural tournament and fight for them beginning in April next year.

Since the demise of EliteXC earlier this year, Alvarez has been on a frenzy picking up fights everywhere, from his upcoming battle against Shinya Aoki in Japan on New Year's Eve to a Jan. 23 bout in Extreme Challenge in Atlantic City. Bellator Fighting Championships was also able to secure the Philadelphia native's services recently and Alvarez is excited to be a part of the growth of the sport within the Hispanic community as well.

"Bellator will be on ESPN Deportes so it will be on the Spanish channel. Me happening to be Puerto Rican, my father's Spanish, Alvarez, and I was sort of a free agent at the time and I was No. 2 in the world. So it worked out perfect to where I had every credential for them to pick me and I was one of the best candidates for them so it worked out well," Alvarez told MMAWeekly Radio recently.

The new show that will debut on ESPN Deportes will be one part fight show, one part reality show that will focus on the fighters and their training for the tournament.

"We already started filming, some of it, part of it anyway," Alvarez commented. "The guys behind it are top notch guys. They don't mess around. They know what they're doing. They have a great business plan and a great business sense and are very knowledgeable of the sport and very knowledgeable about how to capture people's hearts and get people to watch fights."

The Latin community has always been a huge part of the support system around the sport of boxing and Alvarez hopes to tap into that love of combat sports by bringing MMA to a whole new group of fans.

"What I didn't know that I just learned is that 28% of fighting pay-per-views are bought by the Spanish community. That number's huge," said Alvarez. "It's a whole demographic that really isn't into MMA, they're more into boxing. Almost 30% of boxing pay-per-views are bought by the Spanish community, which hasn't hit the MMA scene yet. So once it does you're talking about a whole lot of million dollar people."

The upcoming series will give fans in the Hispanic community a chance to see MMA, maybe for the first time ever, and it's something that Alvarez is proud to be a part of.

"I'm very proud of my heritage. Being Puerto Rican growing up never done anything bad for me," Alvarez commented. "I get my looks from it. All my father's traits are passed on to me and I'm very proud of my heritage, proud of where I'm from and proud of who I am."

After his fights in December and January, Alvarez will then turn his attention to Bellator Fighting Championships and the chance to add a tournament crown to his growing list of accolades.

"Come April, I'll be more than ready to blast off on ESPN and try to win that first tournament that they're going to throw."

Feb 7, 2006
Ortiz Undecided on New Home
videolink: http://www.sherdog.com/videos/recent/Ortiz-Undecided-on-New-Home-1856
Should he stay or should he go?

Tito Ortiz says he will answer that question by June, when his non-compete renegotiation period with Zuffa LLC., the owners for the UFC, expires.

Until then, the former light heavyweight champion announced his participation as a color commentator for Jan. 24’s Affliction “Day of Reckoning” broadcast, a job that won’t require him to strap on his gloves and climb back into the ring.

Ortiz, 33, can afford a little rest. He underwent spinal fusion surgery on his back in October and anticipates a 6-8 month recovery period before he can begin the next phase of his career with either the UFC or a new organization. Ortiz says he’s had back problems since his contest with Randy Couture in 2003.

“As far as my fight career, it’s kind of on hold till I get 100 percent,” Ortiz told Sherdog.com. “Will it be with the UFC? Will it be with Affliction? Only time will tell. Right now it’s all about commentating. I’ve always wanted to do it [commentate], but the UFC always put the chopping block on it.”

Ortiz’s tumultuous relationship with the UFC, particularly with its president and the fighter’s former manager Dana White, has been the fodder for countless articles.

In 2007, Spike TV broadcasted a 90-minute special documenting the strained relationship called “Bad Blood,” which focused on Ortiz’s request to meet White in a boxing match as part of his re-signing with the organization. The episode ended with White jilted at the scales, though Ortiz says he’d told his employer ahead of time that he wouldn’t appear until the financials of the taped event had been finalized.

So embroiled had the pair become, that White chided and ridiculed Ortiz in public every chance he got. Ortiz even went as far to announce he’d never return to the Octagon prior to his final contracted bout against Lyoto Machida at UFC 84 last May.

But money is money, and the polarizing Ortiz (15-6-1) is the very best at bringing it in for the promotion. His December 2006 tilt against Chuck Liddell remains the highest grossing pay-per-view in the sport’s history with a reported $1,000,080 buys.

Ortiz -- who made his debut at UFC 13 in 1997 -- said recent talks have been less than promising though.

“I got the first negotiation of what they offered me, and I was still looking at the same [figure] that I had left from,” said Ortiz. “Dana had his personal agenda against me of not promoting me and it’s fine. I’m going to continue to excel. You can only hold a good man down for so long.”

Outside the Octagon, Ortiz has some time to play the field. Though he says he was days away from signing an “awesome contract that a lot of fighters would have been thankful [for]” with Pro Elite before the promotion abruptly closed it doors in late October, he sees a few glimmers on the horizon.

CBS has plans to move forward with another yet-to-be-named promotion on broadcast television in 2009, while Affliction had plans for at least three more shows during the year following its Jan. 24 event.

In an exclusive video interview with Sherdog.com’s Loretta Hunt and Chris Foster, Ortiz discusses just where he’s at with the UFC, Affliction, and other rival promotions looking to hire one of the sport’s most talked-about figures.