MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Englebrecht and Bash Awarded M-1 Challenge Team Franchise

M-1 Global Announces New M-1 Challenge Team

Englebrecht and Bash Awarded USA Team Franchise

Team To Debut In February

Haarlem, Netherlands: M-1 Global President and CEO Vadim Finkelstein announced today that M-1 Global has awarded an M-1 Challenge Team Franchise to Southern California fight promoter Roy Englebrecht and Beverly Hills Attorney Steven Bash. The team to be called USA West will compete in the 2009 M-1 Challenge World Tour, joining 15 other teams from 15 different countries. The first 2009 World Tour stop to be broadcast by HDNet, will be in the United States in February and will feature teams from Russia, Spain, Japan, Brazil, the United Kingdom, and USA West. The date and location for this first event will be announced in the next couple of weeks.

“Steve and I are extremely excited to be part of the M-1 Challenge 2009 World Tour and to have the opportunity to have our USA West team compete against some of the best mixed martial arts fighters in the world,” said Englebrecht. “The M-1 Challenge concept has arrived, as it affords some of the best young fighters in the world the opportunity to travel the world and compete on the world stage. Fans will definitely be seeing some of the superstars of tomorrow.”

M-1 Global (www.m1mixfight.com) has been one of the leading Mixed martial Arts (MMA) organizations in the world for over a decade. International MMA stars who have fought under the M-1 banner have included Fedor Emelianenko, Andrei Arlovski, Aleksande Emelianenko, Keith Jardine, Alistair Overseem, Yushin Okami, Ben Rothwell, Mike Pyle, Melvin Manhoef, Roman Senstov, Denis Kang, Gilbert Yvel, to name a few.

Billed as the “World Cup of Mixed Martial Arts,” the M-1 Challenge is a full season of MMA events showcasing some of the best up and coming MMA fighters in the world. Broadcast to over 90 countries around the world, including HDNet in the United States, the M-1 Challenge pits teams of five fighters, fighting at weights of 155, 167, 184, under 205 and over 205, representing their respective countries against each other for international bragging rights and the title of M-1 Challenge Champion.

The M-1 Challenge presents MMA prospects all over the world an opportunity to test their skills, gain valuable experience at the international level, and become future stars in the sport of MMA. Fighters who succeed on the M-1 Challenge’s international breeding ground will earn the opportunity to participate in major MMA events presented by M-1 Global and their promotional partners such as Affliction Entertainment, Golden Boy Promotions and Roy Englebrecht Events.

“Steve and I believe some of the best young MMA talent is home grown right here on the West Coast,” said Englebrecht. “How about Shane

Del Rosario, Bao Quach, Bobby Green, Billy Evangelista, JJ Ambrose, Emanuel Newton, and Josh Griggs to name a few.”

Mixed Martial Arts fighters who might be interested in joining the USA West team, and are not under any promotional contract with another MMA organization, and have a winning MMA record can contact Roy Englebrecht at [email protected] or calling 949-760-3131. The selection and announcement of the USA West team will be done at a Southern California press conference the week of the February 24th Honda Center Affliction Day of Reckoning show, which is being promoted by Golden Boy Promotions in association with M-1 Global.

Englebrecht (www.battleintheballroom.com) is one of the busiest fight promoters in the United States promoting 17 pro MMA and boxing shows in 2008, and was hired by Affliction Entertainment to assist them on their July Affliction Banned show and also their upcoming Day of Reckoning show. He is also the founder of the widely acclaimed Fight Promoter University concept (www.fightpromoteruniversity.com). Bash, a UCLA graduate is CEO of Bash Boxing Inc. and has acted as “legal representative for pro boxers and MMA fighters. He has also held the position of managing partner of the Long Beach Ice Dogs professional hockey team and President of the Long Beach Armada minor league baseball team.

Feb 7, 2006
Exclusive Interview with Michael Cohen C.O.O of Affliction MMA

DreamFighters.com was able to catch up with Michael Cohen, C.O.O. Of Affliction MMA, to talk about a few things such as Alexander Emelianenko, Dana White, and a few others things.

DreamFighters.com: Michael, thanks for speaking to me once again at DreamFighters.com

Anything for your readers.

DreamFighters.com: The 2nd Affliction show is comming up, what things can we expect different in terms of changes from the first show?

As in any new company, there are always issues that need to be tweaked for improvement. With Golden Boy Promotions working the event, I am certain that the event will be first class and even exceed the success of the first show.

DreamFighters.com: Is Ozzy still going to performing at intermission?

We have not made any decision as to this.

DreamFighters.com:WIll alexander emelianenko be fighting, and who against?

Alexander is an amazing fighter and we look forward to watching him fight one day on an Affliction card. Alexander will not be featured at the upcoming Day Of Reckoning event.

DreamFighters.com: As the COO of Affliction, do you get the chance to meet a lot of the fighters?

I do. It happens to be one of the perks of being affiliated with Trump and Affliction Entertainment. I have become quite friendly with many of the fighters and communicate with them regularly on both a personal and professional basis.

DreamFighters.com: Which fighter in whom you have met have you been the most impressed with?

I am actually impressed with many of the fighters. To name just a few, Josh Barnett is one of the funniest and most entertaining. Vitor Belfort, Tim Sylvia, Matt Lindland, Mike Whitehead…all great guys. Fedor is a little more difficult to crack due to the language barrier; even though I speak a little Russian. I can honestly say that I have met each and everyone and they are all fantastic athletes.

DreamFighters.com: Will Affliction and DREAM be cross promoting at all, simular to Affliction and EliteXC did with Arlovski?

Trump’s Affliction Entertainment has made it clear that it would co-promote with any legitimate company that can facilitate in creating a great fight that the fans want to see.

DreamFighters.com: How are things between you and Zuffa (Lorenzo and Dana)

Approximately 3 weeks ago, I had a conference call with both Lorenzo and Dana. It was both a pleasant and professional call. As I stated on the call, I have nothing but the utmost respect for both of them. It is without question that they have been at the forefront of this sport. Their abilities have opened the door for others (like Trump’s Affliction) to create competitor leagues. Like any business enterprise Donald Trump enters, he strives to be the best. In this case it is to be the preeminent league in the sport. With the strategic alliances forged over the past 4 months, we feel that we are certainly on course to achieving this goal.

DreamFighters.com: It has been great speaking with you. We all look forward to Affliction Day of Reckoning.

Myself as well. Hope to see you there.

Feb 7, 2006
Arlovski's New Sparring Partner: Anderson Silva

MMAInsider took a trip to the famed Wild Card Boxing gym on Wednesday, a living photo album of a room headed by boxing coach Freddie Roach.

Roach is currently working with Andre Arlovski for his fight with Fedor Emelianenko at Affliction's "Day of Reckoning" on Jan. 24 in Anaheim, Calif. Roach and Arlovski have been working together on and off for three years. The former UFC heavyweight champ arrived at the gym this week.

Towards the end of an interview in his gym's spare room, Roach revealed that UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva was dropping in to spar with "The Pitbull" that night. Indirectly, he also hinted that Silva's dreams of boxing Roy Jones Jr. were not dead.

"I've been working with Anderson for a little while now," Roach said. "He's 4-0 in Brazil as a boxer. He wants to fight Roy Jones, he told me. I don't think Anderson's quite ready for Jones yet, but he's a talented guy; he has good movement, and (Silva and Arvlovski sparring) should be interesting."

Feb 7, 2006
Miller, Wiman, Koscheck, Cantwell earn $30K UFN 16 bonuses

Jim Miller, Matt Wiman, Josh Koscheck and Steve Cantwell each earned $30,000 "fight night" bonuses for their performances at "UFC Fight Night 16: UFC Fight for the Troops."

"UFC Fight Night 16: UFC Fight for the Troops" took place Wednesday at the Crown Coliseum in Fayetteville, N.C., in conjunction with the Fort Bragg military institution, and aired live on Spike TV. The bonus amounts were significantly lower than the $65,000 awards issued at UFC 91 in November, but were on par with the $30,000 bonuses issued at UFC Fight Night 15 in September.

The UFC announced the bonuses at the post-fight press conference, and the awards were confirmed by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

While the score ended up as a one-sided victory, the action between lightweights Jim Miller (13-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) and Matt Wiman (10-4 MMA, 4-2 UFC) was exciting enough to earn the pair a share in the evening's "Fight of the Night." Miller took the bout on very short notice, and his depleted stamina showed during the course of the fight. But Wiman also showed great courage in fending off a guillotine choke early in the fight -- and further ground-and-pound and submission attempts for the 15-minute duration.

Miller earned the unanimous decision win, but the pair each earned a sizable bonus. The award was Wiman's second straight "Fight of the Night" bonus, while Miller earned a "Submission of the Night" check in his previous trip to the octagon.

Despite a great effort by Mike Swick earlier in the evening, Josh Koscheck (12-3 MMA, 10-3 UFC) used two devastating right hands to ensure he would take home a bonus check. Only six weeks after a unanimous-decision loss to Thiago Alves, the 31-year-old Koscheck proved he still belongs among the elite in the UFC's welterweight division.

Just the third knockout or TKO of his career, Koscheck's crushing first-round blows to Yoshiyuki Yoshida earned the AKA product a spot on future UFC highlight reels -- and the evening's unquestioned "Knockout of the Night."

WEC import Steve Cantwell (7-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) was lauded for his striking skills during his tenure with Zuffa, LLC's smaller MMA promotion. But in his first bout in the UFC since the elimination of WEC's 205-pound division, it was Cantwell's submission game that earned him a bit of extra income.

After battling toe-to-toe for much of the first round with opponent Razak Al-Hassan, Cantwell took advantage of a mistake on the ground to lock in an arm bar. Al-Hassan did his best to resist, but would have benefited greatly from relenting as his limb was bent in gruesome fashion en route to a technical submission. The effort also earned Cantwell the evening's "Submission of the Night."

Feb 7, 2006
Welterweight Anthony Lapsley perfecting King of the Cage title recipe

Anthony Lapsley (14-3) has studied in many kitchens en route to building his signature mixed martial arts recipe.

But the current King of the Cage welterweight champion believes a successful title defense against Mike Guymon at Thursday's "King of the Cage: Prowler" in San Manuel Indian Nation, Calif., is key to proving his status as a champion.

"I'm ready for the big fight," Lapsley recently told TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I'm ready to defend this title and show everybody what I've got."

Lapsley has fought for a number of organizations in his still-developing career, including King of the Cage, ShoXC, HDNet Fights and Art of War. After winning the King of the Cage title in August, "The Recipe" looks forward to the opportunity to declare himself a true champion.

"I'm anxious," Lapsley said. "I'm really ready to show everyone what I've really got as far as being the champion. Getting here was one step. Maintaining it and keeping it is another.

"I've got a good recipe, a good little something that I've got cooking for him. It's going to come out with me being victorious, definitely."

A former Indiana state wrestling champion, the 28-year-old Lapsley was last in action in an October victory over Mike Stumpf under the ShoXC banner. The current suspended state of operations for that organization led Lapsley back to King of the Cage, and organization with which he feels very comfortable.

"King of the Cage, they've always treated me well," Lapsley said. "I've been fighting totally for three years. And I've fought with them damn near since the beginning of it, periodically. But they've always treated me good. Nice hotels, they pay decent, and they treat all of the fighters pretty good.

"I'm satisfied where I'm at. Where (UFC and King of the Cage veterans) Diego (Sanchez) and 'Rampage' (Jackson) and everybody else is at through King of the Cage, I plan to be the same."

Lapsley is still waiting for his chance to break into the sport's biggest organizations. In the meantime he'll take on nine-year MMA veteran Guymon. Lapsley said he harbors no ill will for his opponent, but he is prepared to defeat the seven-time King of the Cage fighter.

"[Guymon] is a nice dude," Lapsley said. "I spoke with him the last time I was out here. We complimented each other on each other's fights. He's a good guy. I think I'm a good guy myself. But I hear he's a lot nicer than I am. So I plan on making a nice guy finish last."

And Lapsley hopes to accomplish that goal in quick fashion -- and for a very important reason.

"I got a secret recipe that I'm brewing," Lapsley said. "Hopefully I'll submit him real quick so I can stay pretty."

Feb 7, 2006
Danzig Breathes New Life into Career

Quite a bit has changed since the last time Mac Danzig had to punish himself during a grueling training regime. Not only has the Las Vegas resident become a father for the first time (his baby daughter was born nearly two nerve-rattling weeks late), but he has a newfound vigor for the fight game.

Danzig will look to carry that fresh momentum into his next bout against Josh Neer for UFC Fight Night 17 on Feb. 7 at the USF Sun Dome in Tampa, Fla.

A winner of “The Ultimate Fighter 6” in 2007, Danzig saw it was time for a change. His methodology inside Xtreme Couture Mixed Martial Arts’ walls had become stagnant and he’d lost his thirst to train as hard as some of the other warriors inside Las Vegas’ most famous gym. Not that his training partners or the facility itself had become outdated by any means; Danzig admits he just wasn’t as focused or serious as he should have been, especially leading up to his most recent bout.

Last September, Danzig (18-5-1) dropped a unanimous decision to wrestler Clay Guida at UFC Fight Night 15 in Omaha, Neb.

“I was listening to my corner with their combinations, but I was throwing them like a robot and I got a little too anxious where I should have just relaxed and waited and then picked him apart,” Danzig said of Guida. “I should have let him shoot into one of my knees but instead I was throwing knees at the end of combinations after he was already backing up so, of course, the knee isn’t there and he would use that to get a takedown.”

His new baby has given Danzig the fire in his belly he needed though.

“I always train hard and I wasn’t sure if the fire was still there like it was (in the past),” he said. “But having this kid has changed me a lot. It’s given me a new perspective and has given me a whole lot of motivation to go in there and really do right by myself and my family and get the most out of my career. I’m starting to watch tapes again and really getting back into the whole mindset of combat, which I was getting a little tired of after a while. I’m ready to go and I got a new reason to fight.”

New priorities have brought on a new way of looking at his bouts, as well as remembrance of what worked for Danzig in the past.

“What I learned is that fifteen minutes isn’t that long of a time and you really gotta do something and make something happen,” said Danzig. “Sometimes you can’t force it if your opponent is neutralizing you but fifteen minutes isn’t really enough time to finish a guy. You gotta do right by yourself and fight your type of fight. Against Guida I didn’t really fight my fight. I usually fight where I think a lot and I try to think two or three moves ahead and that chess match mentality has helped me in my career in the past and I kind of abandoned that.”

Neer (24-7-1), another experienced veteran who desperately needs a win to stay afloat in the 155-pound title hunt, won’t be a pushover by any means, though his fighting style could play into Danzig’s strengths. Roughly half of Neer’s defeats have come via submission, an aspect of the fight game that Danzig excels at.

“He’s still really good on the ground, much better than people give him credit for,” said Danzig. “The few losses that he’s had have come by submissions, but I don’t think that he has serious weakness on the ground. Nate Diaz is extremely good on the ground and those guys were trading back and forth some really good technique.

Still, Danzig acknowledges a potential opening.

“I’ve submitted and beaten a lot better guys than him as far as grappling skills go,” said Danzig. “[Mark] Bocek comes to mind right away. It’s all about hitting him a lot and making him think and softening him up first. That’s what’ll give me the submission if I get it but, man, I’m still looking for my first knockout; that clean knockout. That’s what I’m going for. And I don’t feel bad for saying that, either.”

A special addition to his life has renewed Danzig’s sense of purpose, but don’t be surprised to see the winner of old return to the cage on Feb. 7.

“In this fight I need to just go out there and be the thinker that I am,” said Danzig. “I think it’ll serve me well in this fight.”

Feb 7, 2006
ADRENALINE MMA: EX-IFL CHAMP McGIVERN RETURNS

In the short history of the International Fight League, three men held the promotion's middleweight championship. Among them was Miletich Fighting Systems standout Ryan McGivern. And although his time as titleholder was short, he proved himself a worthwhile talent for the company.

Multiple wins over current Ultimate Fighting Championship middleweight Matt Horwich, as well as victories over Fabio Leopoldo and Dennis Hallman, cemented McGivern as fighter to watch in the coming years.

After taking time off following the disablement of the IFL, he returns to the cage to be part of this Thursday’s Adrenaline 2 card, featuring former IFL coach and UFC champion Pat Miletich.

“It’s always an honor to fight on the same card as Pat, as well as getting to fight with a lot of our teammates like Ben Rothwell, Mike (Ciesnolevicz), LC Davis, ‘Junior’ Hernandez and Jessie Lennox,” said McGivern of his involvement with Adrenaline. “It’s encouraging that we’re all on the same page.

“At the gym, we’re all working on the same goal for this Adrenaline show and the intensity has been really high. Just to be on the same card and all going through it together kind of helps that team environment.”

During his time in the IFL, McGivern was on the same break-neck fighting schedule that many in the promotion were, often fighting every other month, to the tune of 11 fights in two years.

Having an opportunity to rest up this year has been a very welcomed side effect to the company’s demise.

“With the schedule the IFL had us on, I only had time for fighting, so I took a little time to relax,” he commented. “It’s (been) a chance to heal the body up and get back to neutral in a sense. I’m getting fired up again for training instead of having to just go through the grind month after month.

“I feel in really great shape right now and my body isn’t dinged up from my last fight. I’ve been able to heal; training has gone really well, so it’s been beneficial.”

Opposing McGivern at Adrenaline will be King of the Cage veteran Geno Roderick. As the MFS fighter states, he may not know much about Roderick, but that doesn’t change the overall game plan.

“Basically I have to try to have the same attitude going into any competition,” he admitted. “I expect the other guy to be ready to go and fight, so I’m going in there making sure I’m ready to go and really try to enforce my style.

“Keep improving my position, whether we’re on the feet or the ground, wherever it’s at, just keep working to improve.”

Having had the time off this year that he was not afforded in the past, McGivern says he has had an opportunity to shore up an area of his game that had proven problematic to him.

“If you look at me in the past, I get in trouble falling into submissions, and I think I’ve been able to step back and work a lot more on being more aware of what’s happening on the ground and submission defense,” he stated.

“I’ve also worked more effectively for submission (attempts), so I feel more dangerous on the ground than I have in the past. At the same time, just keep working, sparring, and getting more comfortable standing.”

Getting back into fighting after an absence, McGivern is looking to continue working on his game, take things as they come, and be fully prepared for any opportunities that come his way.

“I’m really not in a rush to make any big moves,” he said. “I’m really just trying to grow and learn a bit more and be more aware as a fighter. We’ll see what becomes available, keep things open, see what falls in place and take it one fight at a time.”

With multiple promotions looking to fill up their 185-pound divisions with solid talent, it seems only a matter of time before McGivern gets another shot at the big time and a possible second run as champion.

“I’d definitely like to give a shout out to all the guys in the gym for the training and working out; and Alley Cat Boxing and Jeff Perez,” he concluded. “Thanks to my family, friends and wife for their support and getting me ready.

“The Quad Cities is always great in supporting their teams and athletes, so everyone out there, there’s going to be some really good fights and it’s going to be a really fun show. It’s going to be a great time, so come out and see the action.”

Feb 7, 2006
CAGE RAGE PROMOTER PLANS RETURN FROM PROELITE

The plot thickens in the ProElite debacle with a new slant on the situation not yet revealed… a conversation with Andy Geer following the inaugural Ultimate Challenge show this past weekend revealed that although Cage Rage had been purchased by ProElite, they hadn’t actually paid for it before going under.

Geer explains the situation, “To all intents and purposes, ProElite had entered into an agreement to purchase Cage Rage. A deal was struck with a deposit accepted. Then they had a cut-off date to make a balloon payment; they never completed the purchase.”

It is widely regarded that the administrators are currently trying to auction off the carcass of ProElite and its assets. The common perception is that King of the Cage is one of the entities in the bidding war, but wasn’t Terry Trebilcock’s promotion already part of the ProElite group? How can a company that was sold, be bidding for the same company that was due to purchase it? Well, if KOTC were in the same situation as Cage Rage, then it implies that they never received full compensation either, ditto for Icon Sport and Rumble on the Rock.

Back to Geer and the Cage Rage predicament. Hasn’t Dave O’Donnell already moved on with the Ultimate Challenge brand?

“Let me just state that Dave is one of my closest friends both in the industry and personally, and he has his own concern going at the moment. But there is still a lot of money to be made from this sport, and a lot of investors out there that can tap into that potential. I am currently pursuing my legal right to the Cage Rage brand and assets in order to secure new backers and to build upon this mess in a positive light,” clarified Geer.

He added that the situation isn’t dissimilar to a home purchase gone wrong. “They made a deposit and had big plans, but they never completed, and as of today, they still owe me $2 million worth of final payment, let alone what they owe Dave O’Donnell and the silent partner. Clearly, the brand isn’t theirs, and I intend to claim my legal right to the business.”

It is a complex legal situation for sure. So what does Trebilcock stand to gain from the purchase of ProElite if Cage Rage and potentially the other promotions are technically free agents? The key elements to the answer are the potentially lucrative fighter contracts that can be sold to other organizations or retained to continue building his brand and close links to CBS and Showtime Networks to try and build on the network television opportunities presented.

With the right business plan, a re-born EliteXC could build on the 6.51 million viewers that tuned in to the last show and make a serious run at being successful. But it would require deep pockets to start with, a completely brutal shedding of dead wood, and of course, the willingness of a jaded CBS to play ball.

“They raised $60m in funding and always said that EliteXC was a profit-making business, so where did all the money go? Someone spent the money and it wasn’t us. We weren’t a loss-making company and we had fighters like Babalu, Belfort and Sperry fighting because we had a smart business plan, but as soon as (ProElite) came onboard, all that changed,” explains Geer with regards to the perception of Cage Rage as a loss-making organization.

Despite some occasional mistakes along the way, Cage Rage came from humble beginnings of a 3,000 attendance figure at the Wembley Conference Centre, through sell-out shows at 8,000 before finding a live audience that was estimated to be on average 4,500 people, over a five-year period.

What’s the prognosis for another show? Geer doesn’t know yet. “We are aiming to bring it back in 2009; that’s the plan. With new backers and a new approach, Cage Rage will be back to being British again that is for sure.”

Feb 7, 2006
Rothwell: From Affliction to Adrenaline

When Ben Rothwell debuted in Affliction back in July against Andrei Arlovski, it was a chance for the recently christened top-10 heavyweight to cement himself among the upper echelon in his division. But in the third round Rothwell fell victim to an Arlovski knockout, leaving the Miletich Martial Arts fighter with a lot to improve upon for his next bout.

“I’m just really disappointed in how I performed,” Rothwell told Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show on Wednesday. “People were saying I was in there for three rounds and this and that. It was great and I’m glad I was able to show that I at least belong there. I certainly didn’t get to show where I feel I’m at or how much more I have to show. But just that fight alone, to see where my skills have gone in the last 4-5 months, all my coaches have noticed and said something.”

Those skills will be on display next not for Affliction, but for the latest installment of Adrenaline MMA, the promotion owned and run by his manager Monte Cox. Rothwell (29-6) is set to fight Chris Guillen, a far cry (at 13-11 overall and on a four-fight losing streak) from the step up in competition he took fighting former UFC champion Arlovski. But such is life for a fighter not making his living inside the UFC’s acclaimed Octagon.

“I’d love to fight tough guys again but it’s hard,” Rothwell said. “It’s hard to get fights and I’m fighting tomorrow night just to stay active. I’ve got to fight so I can fight and show everybody what I can do.”

That doesn’t mean Rothwell’s overlooking Guillen.

“It’s actually more of a threat because you don’t want to make mistakes against a guy like that,” said Rothwell. “The big joke in the IFL was whoever had to fight Wojtek Kaszowski, who was 0-7. The guy was 0-7, but who wants to lose to that guy? It’s the same thing here. I’m putting myself out there but I have to do it.”

As for not fighting on the next Affliction card, Rothwell’s expectations have always been a bit tempered.

“They’re not using me in January for multiple reasons I guess,” Rothwell said. “The word is that they’re going to do a third show and I’m supposed to fight on that. I’ve always been a guy that never counts his eggs before they’re hatched. I mean they say it and that’s great that they say it at least. But it doesn’t mean anything to me until I’ve signed a contract or I see my face on the poster.”

Rothwell wasn’t expecting his publicized exit from the IFL in 2007 prior to their grand prix, where individual title belts were to be awarded to each division’s winner in a tournament format. With the grand prix fights not a part of the original contract Rothwell signed, the IFL tried to renegotiate with their star heavyweight –- who was 9-0 for the promotion -- beforehand.

“They came to me, [owner] Kurt Otto even and, he did a lot of good things and I’m not trying to talk bad about him, but this particular situation with his negotiation was just a bit off,” Rothwell said. “I just wasn’t having it. My last fight I made ‘x’ amount of dollars for the finals against Ricco Rodriguez. Now I could’ve won both fights in the grand prix and barely made a little bit more than I did in that fight against Ricco. Does that make any sense to you? I asked Kurt that and I said, ‘What are you doing? Why would you do that to me?’ And he goes, ‘Ben, the belt! Think about the belt.’ I don’t give a f--- about the belt.”

The relationship between fighter and promotion quickly began to unravel.

“Basically after that happened that was pretty much the end of it,” said Rothwell. “Then management and him didn’t see eye to eye and then they tried to redo things and I was just ready to move on. I was insulted. I felt like I fought my ass off for those guys and that was my payment? To come and fight for that? What did I do wrong? So it was just better off that way. I always wished them the best. I didn’t want to see them fold. There were a lot of guys who were getting jobs and able to fight. I always thought the more MMA the better. They just made too many mistakes and when they brought [Jay] Larkin in that was the end.”

Even with the troubles of the IFL behind him, Rothwell still has problems getting fights consistently given Affliction’s issues. But Rothwell’s goal as a fighter remains the same.

“I was either going to on a top-10 list and be looked at as one of the best or fall by the wayside and be a nobody and that’s not what I want,” said Rothwell. “I want to eventually work my way to the top. I’m one of the youngest on the list so I have that at least. But I’m not getting any younger. So just each fight from here on out I’ll show something to everybody so you can see me improving just like all the other top fighters. That’s what I’m going to keep doing.”

Feb 7, 2006
Johnny Rees expected to be released from UFC contract following Wednesday’s loss

Welterweight competitor Johnny Rees’ stay with the UFC has ended after just two fights. After entering the promotion with a 10-0 record, the Indianapolis native has seen his record fall to 10-2 with consecutive losses at UFC Fight Night 14 in July and last night’s UFC Fight Night 16 event, subtitled “UFC Fight for the Troops.”

FiveOuncesOfPain.com learned of the news early Thursday morning from a source speaking on the condition of anonymity, who expressed that other releases could be made stemming from losses sustained during Wednesday’s show.

Rees was signed by the UFC early this summer to be a part of the UFN 14 card that was headlined by Anderson Silva vs. James Irvin and was held opposite of Affliction’s first pay-per-view show. Facing fellow newcomer Nate Loughran, Rees submitted to a triangle choke at 4:21 of round 1.

At UFN 16, Rees was matched up with former Navy veteran Steve Bruno, who submitted Rees with a rear naked choke at 3:44 of round 2 in a match that aired on Spike TV on a tape-delay basis following Josh Koscheck’s stunning first round knockout of Yoshiyuki Yoshida in the night’s main event.

Feb 7, 2006
MMA Payout.com Exclusive Interview With Michael Romero, President of BOOYAA Incorporated

MMA Payout.com Exclusive Interview With Michael Romero, President of BOOYAA Incorporated.

Los Angeles Ca: The UFC’s policy of banning its competitors from sponsoring fighters during their live events has been something of a polarizing issue throughout the world of Mixed Martial Arts. While some understand what the UFC does to protect itself from giving rival companies a platform from which to garner publicity, others believe it’s an abuse of power designed to ensure their seemingly iron clad monopoly on the sport and the products that are associated with it continues for as long as possible. Either way, the MMA giant’s decision to ban their fighters from flying the flag of any of its rivals is and will most likely continue to be the status quo.

UFC President Dana White stated previously what he considers to be the criteria of what results in a ban that is considered to be “lifetime” a company in direct competition with the UFC for business opportunities related to mixed martial arts. That being the case, President and founder of BOOYAA Incorporated Michael Romero believes that his company’s recent addition to the UFC’s famed banned list is strictly a case of guilt by association. We sat down with him recently following the announcement of the ban to discuss his feelings on the UFC’s stance and what effect it presents to his business and the fighters he sponsors.

When did you get started in the business of mixed martial arts apparel?

I launched BOOYAA back in 1998, in August we celebrated 10 years in the industry. We have been actively involved in the MMA scene since 2004, touring with King of the Cage and its affiliated productions.

The ban on BOOYAA comes after the UFC’s general council informed you that due to your affiliation with King of the Cage you would not be allowed to sponsor anyone now, or in the future at any UFC or WEC event, what was your reaction to such a decision?

Surprised with receiving the ban? No, but the stated reasoning for the ban was a little odd. The letter we received from their assistant general counsel quantified the ban as being due to an event we co-sponsored a couple years back. We believe they see BOOYAA as a potential competitor to their affiliate clothing companies, and not their fight promotion. We are very aware of the threat King of the Cage poses to the UFC; we don’t however see the relationship between BOOYAA and King of the Cage any different than Zuffa’s relationship with TapouT and Fight Industries.

It’s an interesting sponsorship model Zuffa has adopted, I’m curious to see how this all shakes out over the next year. I believe it would be in the best interest of the industry for them to structure something that makes the most business sense for not only their promotion, but the fighters as well.

The UFC sited your relationship with King of the Cage as their reasoning for the ban, what exactly does that relationship entail?

BOOYAA Inc. manages and sells merchandise for both entities at all King of the Cage events. We also assist with all aspects of the production including managing the website, sponsorship coordination, marketing, merchandise and matchmaking.

Similar bans have been doled out to Affliction, Throwdown, and Cage Fighter/MMA Authentics, all have been the result of these companies establishing themselves as direct competitors for business opportunities with the Zuffa or its affiliate companies. You’ve stated BooYaa doesn’t fit the criteria that they have established would result in a ban, is there any direct competition between BooYaa and any of Zuffa’s affiliates that they may see?

Nothing we are doing today is in direct competition with UFC or WEC. First and foremost, BOOYAA is a clothing company and we are at the KOTC events with the fighters and the fans two to four weekends per month for the simple fact we are trying to sell our products. Our position is to continue to grow the sport and our sponsorship model has always revolved around assisting fighters to capture as much sponsorship money as possible.

According to what you’ve told us, as well as the emails received by MMA Payout.com, the reason for the ban as stated by the UFC stems from an event BOOYAA co-promoted several years ago with King of the Cage. Why do you think Zuffa would come to such an extreme decision in regards to BOOYAA when this was so long ago?

Yeah I found that pretty amusing that they had to go back to a poster that was two years old.

We were a primary sponsor for an event titled BOOYAA which is common within MMA and other industries, for example WEC 21 was called TapouT. Sponsoring an entire event is smart business. My guess is that they have an idea of the potential KOTC has as their competitor and maybe feel this is a good defensive position to take but I fail to see at this time, how BOOYAA has anything to do with that.

What does this type of ban represent to BOOYAA and your ability to do business in the industry?

We honestly don’t see it having a huge impact on our brand as it will on the fighters we support. We have a very good friendship and working relationship with King of the Cage and we have a good idea of things to come for them and other productions outside of the Zuffa organizations. We are confident we have aligned ourselves the best in the industry, business will continue as usual.

Do you intend to challenge this ban either with Zuffa directly or in a court preceding?

No, they’re free to run their business the way they choose.

Have you had any further discussion with Zuffa in regards to their decision?

No, our direct response to ZUFFA read as follows:

“We totally understand the fears and concerns Zuffa, WEC, TapouT and UFC have with both BOOYAA and KOTC.”

We wish you continued success into the future.

You’ve already explained what this ban means for you and your ability to continue to do business in the MMA industry, but you’ve said this has a negative effect on the on the fighters you already sponsor who may see their sponsorship dollars decrease now that the UFC or WEC are no longer an option?

We work closely with lots great clothing companies and we have great relationships with sports marketing firms. There are a lot of existing and mainstream sponsors starting to trickle into our industry, but the bottom line it’s going to be up to the productions of who they allow to into their events. In my opinion outside sponsors should be viewed more as partners helping build fighters income, this allows them the freedom to train more and thus produces a better product. As always we will continue to assist fighters to maximize their sponsorship dollars.

We’ve heard rumblings that KOTC could possibly emerge as an alternative option for networks still looking to get involved in the business of promoting MMA events, how much of that is factual?

Right now the climate in MMA is at its peak, networks see the value in our sport and it’s ability to reach the coveted 18 to 34 year old market that advertisers actively seek out. The King of the Cage brand is touted by network officers to be one of the most brand able names in our industry. Terry (Trebilcock) and King of the Cage have the ability to identify excellent fighters that are marketable and can be developed to drive viewers to their TV’s and fans to their events.

KOTC C.E.O. Terry Trebilcock has recently been in talks with the management of ProElite in an attempt to acquire EliteXC and its assets which include the contracts of fighters such as Gina Carrano, Jake Shields, and Robbie Lawler, how close are they in terms of an agreement being reached?

I wish I knew. We all know that dialogue continues. I do hope the fighters get to fight sooner than later. There is a pool of great talent that we all look forward to watching. What I can tell you is that KOTC has proven over the last ten years that there recipe works, they continue to identify and build the biggest stars in the industry, most of which constitute a great majority of the industries high-end rosters.

Trebilcock has stated previously that KOTC, Showtime, and CBS have maintained their relationship even after EliteXC filed for bankruptcy and that there is a good chance that they will continue to be in some kind of business relationship throughout the upcoming year, what would that mean for BOOYAA?

It would be huge for us and the fighters we sponsor. Our goal is to continue pursuing A and B level retailers. Working with mainstream media platforms would allow us to penetrate those markets more effectively. BOOYAA is a viral name that has already been embraced and recognized in mainstream sports, television, music and movies, we’re confident that we could help convert mainstream sports fans and consumers into the world of Mixed Martial Arts.

When do you think you can expect to know what the future holds for KOTC and its relationship with BOOYAA?

We should all know something in the next few weeks or so if not sooner.

Feb 7, 2006
JUANITO IBARRA: "I HAVE THE FORUMLA THAT CAN MAKE WANDERLEI SILVA BEAT RAMPAGE EASY"
link: http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content3968.html?PHPSESSID=02daa9f3427db815be246383cbe6b536
"I have the formula that can make Wanderlei Silva beat Rampage easy; easy! And I also have the formula where I think Rampage can beat Wanderlei Silva easy and I've always said that. I don't care how many times Wanderlei beat Rampage and how he beat him, I just know this and I told people because they were telling me Wanderlei was asking for me. I ain't believing nothing until I get the phone call from him. Otherwise, it's just a big rumor to me," stated world-class trainer Juanito Ibarra as he talked about the upcoming third fight between Wanderlei Silva and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson. Check out what else he had to say about the fight and much more. Plus, Ibarra, who at one time trained Oscar De La Hoya, shares his thoughts on the Golden Boy's recent loss to Manny Pacquiao

Feb 7, 2006
ALI SONOMA: "I WAS A LITTLE BIT OF A DISTRACTION"

link: http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content3970.html
"I wouldn't go back if they asked me too. That chapter of my life is closed baby! I will always be a fan, but I'm past my ring girl days...I love MMA and always will. I still go to the fights sometimes or I go to UFC fight parties," stated former UFC Octagon Girl Ali Sonoma as she talked about her future plans. Check out what she had to say about her breakup with Diego Sanchez, her experience on The Mole and much more.

Feb 7, 2006
Hieron Talks Training with "The Phenom"

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort is expected to hit Xtreme Couture in preparation for his upcoming fight with Matt Lindland at Affliction's "Day of Reckoning" on Jan. 24 in Anaheim, Calif.

Welterweight Jay Hieron, a "Brigadier General" in the Xtreme Couture army, trained alongside "The Phenom" for 6 weeks when he was preparing for Terry Martin at Affliction "Banned."

Apparently, the Brazilian is a beast in the gym.

"Man, that dude, that guy is phenomenal," Hieron gushed. "He could be a professional boxer for sure."

Longstanding rumors of Belfort's inconsistency don't ring true for Hieron.

"People always say, 'Vitor's head,' when he gets out there in a fight," he continued. "I don't know too much about that, because his last fight, he looked great. I've seen him have trouble in the past, but athletically, boxing skills, and all around well-roundedness, he's incredible."

Hieron was unaware of when Belfort would be dropping in, but looked forward to being able to train with him again. "The Thoroughbred" will fight on alongside Belfort on the undercard of "Reckoning," against Jason High.

Feb 7, 2006
Adrenaline MMA II airs tonight on HDNet

As a reminder, Adrenaline MMA, which features a main event between MMA pioneer Pat Miletich and former King of the Cage champion Thomas Denny, takes place tonight at the i wireless Center in Moline, Ill.

The event airs live on HDNet beginning at 10 p.m. ET (7 p.m. PT). Replays are set for Fridays (10 p.m. ET) and Saturday (2:30 a.m. ET).

HDNet and Adrenaline MMA signed a three-event broadcast deal earlier this year.

Adrenaline MMA, the latest venture for longtime MMA agent and promoter Monte Cox, launched in June after a venture with M-1 never materialized. Cox hosted the first show on June 14, which featured Mike Russow's submission victory over Jason Guida in the night's main event.

The Chicago-area show took place in front of approximately just 2,000 fans, though the organization is likely to draw better tonight with Miletich, a Quad Cities icon and former UFC champion who hasn't fought professionally in two years.

Also on the card is former IFL stand-out Ben Rothwell, who takes on Chris Guillen. Notables Mike Ciesnolevicz, Ryan McGivern, Gabe Lemley and Pat Curran are also in action.

For a complete rundown of the event, check out our official event preview or our Adrenaline MMA II section.

Tonight's full line-up includes:

MAIN CARD (TELEVISED)

* Thomas Denny vs. Pat Miletich
* Chris Guillen vs. Ben Rothwell
* Braden Bice vs. Michael Russow
* Mike Ciesnolevicz vs. Derrick Mehmen
* Gabe Lemley vs. Dan Loman
* Ryan McGivern vs. Geno Roderick
* Pat Curran vs. Ramiro Hernandez

PRELIMINARY CARD (UN-TELEVISED)

* Jesse Lennox vs. Ryan Williams
* LC Davis vs. Billy Kidd
* Danny Rodriguez vs. David Fuentes

Feb 7, 2006
Alvarez vs. Aoki, Hunt vs. LeBanner added to Dec. 31 Dynamite!! card

A handful of match-ups, including an anticipated lightweight bout between Eddie Alvarez (15-1) and Shinya Aoki (18-3), have been added to the Dec. 31. FEG FieLDS Dynamite!! 2008 event that takes place at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.

Also added was a featured heavyweight bout between Mark Hunt (5-4) and Jerome LeBanner (3-1-1).

Although the event will feature a combination of MMA and kickboxing bouts, those two fights will be held under MMA rules.

The organization added the bouts to its official fight card overnight.

Alavarez and Aoki were originally slated to meet in DREAM's lightweight grand prix finale after both fighters advanced through the summer-long tournament. However, after a particularly tough victory over Tatsuya Kawajiri, Alvarez wasn't cleared to fight in the finale later that night.

Joachim Hansen instead took his spot and defeated Aoki for the title.

Alvarez hasn't fought since that July 21 DREAM.5 event, though Aoki scored a 70-second submission of Todd Moore just two months later at DREAM.6.

Hunt, meanwhile, looks to snap a three-fight MMA losing streak (to Josh Barnett, Fedor Emelianenko and Alistair Overeem) when he meets famed K-1 kickboxer LeBanner, who's riding a three fight winning streak (three KOs) in MMA.

The latest card now includes:

* Mark Hunt vs. Jerome Le Banner
* Eddie Alvarez vs. Shin'ya Aoki
* Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Kozo Takeda*
* Gegard Mousasi vs. Musashi*
* Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Kiyoshi Tamura
* Gesias "JZ" Calvancante vs. Joachim Hansen
* Hiroya vs. Shimada Shota*
* Kusakabe Ryuya vs. Urabe Koya*

* - Fight will be conducted under K-1 rules

Feb 7, 2006
Anderson Silva unlikely to headline UFC 95, April return possible

Despite previous comments from UFC President Dana White that a middleweight title fight between Anderson Silva and Thales Leites was a possible main event for UFC 95 in February, Silva's management today said he would prefer an April return.

Silva's manager, Ed Soares, today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the Feb. 21 date in London was too soon for Silva's next bout.

"With our timing and our scheduling, it just makes more sense to come back [in April]," Soares said.

Soares said nothing had been signed yet, but that Silva would prefer to fight in an as-yet-unannounced April card.

"As of right now, nothing has been 100 percent decided yet," Soares said. "It looks like we're looking to fight in April. We don't know what can happen, but as of right now I think we're going to be fighting in April."

Silva was last in action in a successful middleweight title defense against Patrick Cote in October. "The Spider" previously fought at 205-pounds against James Irvin, and Soares indicated another light-heavyweight contest was a real possibility for Silva's next bout.

"It's not decided yet, but we'd be interested in doing a 205-pound fight," Soares said.

Soares indicated that some of Silva's desire to wait until April may have to do with training partner and friend Paulo Filho. Soares said Filho is also targeting an April return, though the organization that will utilize his services has yet to be determined.

Soares also confirmed that rumors of a Bellator Fighting Championship appearance are still a possibility for the former PRIDE and WEC middleweight.

"We're looking at some deals right now, and Bellator is one of the offers that is on the table right now, for sure," Soares said. "I think April is probably a good time. Then hopefully [Filho] could get into a training camp with Anderson. And then they could try to fight around the same time. That would be unreal."

While Silva would prefer an April return, Soares would not completely rule out the possibility of a UFC 95 appearance for the 33-year-old UFC middleweight champion.

"As of right now, I'll let the UFC when they plan on doing it," Soares said. "But as of right now, we've told (UFC President) Dana White we'd like to fight in April. But nothing has been confirmed either way."

Feb 7, 2006
Ricardo Almeida Chooses Rehab Over Surgery

In early October, MMAWeekly.com learned that jiu-jitsu ace and UFC middleweight Ricardo Almeida was scratched from UFC 90 with an undisclosed injury. The Brazilian was scheduled to face Dan Miller.

Since then, Almeida has been diagnosed with a Sports Hernia, an injury often seen in athletes. It occurs when the muscles of the lower abdominal wall weaken, causing pain and discomfort during physical activity.

Almeida had two choices: surgery, which might or might not have cured the ailment, and rehabilitation, which promised to be an arduous process.

In an email to MMAInsider, Almeida says he has chosen to rehabilitate the injury.

"Very often even with surgical procedure pain and discomfort still remain," Almeida wrote. "I have been slowly but surely working my way back to be able to do almost everything I was doing before and plan on resume full time training after the holidays."

"I am working closely with my strength and conditioning coach Martin Rooney and we have been planning some modifications in my training regimen in order to initially strengthen the lower abdomen and groin area and avoid any further injuries as my training intensity picks up."

Almeida said the UFC has been very supportive of him during the difficult time. He expects to return to competition in March or April.

Feb 7, 2006
Coach Frank Mir says Junie Browning was "a huge disappointment"

Two days before his Spike TV-televised main-card bout at The Ultimate Fighter 8 Finale, semifinalist Junie Browning received a far-from-glowing evaluation from his coach on the show, former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir.

Browning, who was nearly kicked off the show for multiple offenses (including drunken rampages and throwing a glass at a fellow cast member), earned a spot on Saturday's televised main card despite his controversial behavior.

Today, Mir called the decision unfortunate and said it encourages a would-be cast member to act like "a moron and idiot" once he makes it onto the cast.

"Honestly, I think Junie Browning was a huge disappointment," Mir said during a media conference call.

Browning, Mir's first lightweight pick, showed promise during his preliminary TKO victory over Jose Aguilar. However, a bad attitude and propensity to pick fights (often when fueled by alcohol) alienated him from his fellow cast members and even his own teammates.

"If I had complete control, I would have kicked Junie off the first week after I saw his behavior and edited out him so no one got to see him at all," Mir said. "I think he does give a bad name and face to everyone (associated with MMA)."

Mir quickly wrote off the team member and distanced himself from Browning.

He has no regrets about that decision.

"I think the only mistake I really made was maybe not trying to force him off the team harder," Mir said. "I think he kind of brought down everyone else. Then again, I think I tried to talk to him, but I guess I'm just not a babysitter. I'm not one to sit there and hold someone's hand and beg them to be a fighter.

"Hopefully Junie finds that in the future -- he can find his babysitter and somebody that will console him and give him the special love that he needs."

UFC President Dana White was forced to talk to Browning about his behavior on multiple occasions. The final discussion came prior to the lightweight semifinals and Browning's fight with Efrain Escudero. While sitting on a patio and discussing the match-ups, Browning got into a simple argument with fellow cast member Shane Primm. Browning shockingly hurled a glass at Primm and then attempted to sucker-punch him while he was still sitting down.

Everyone, Browning included, assumed it was his ticket off the show and out of the competition. White returned to the house and took Browning to the basement to discuss the situation. White surmised that Browning was actually hoping to get kicked off the show to avoid the potential embarrassment of losing on national TV. Browning essentially agreed, so White was reluctant to give him his walking papers since that's essentially what he wanted anyway.

Instead, White allowed Browning's teammates to vote on the matter. They ultimately decided to allow Browning to fight -- in hopes that he would lose.

Mir, though, said the cameras didn't capture the whole situation. In fact, he was there for White and Browning's conversation even though the episode made it appear it was a one-on-one conversation between White and Browning.

"I was down there with Junie the whole time for the entire conversation, and when I was asked my opinion, I told Junie flat out, 'I think you should be kicked off the show, and I think your behavior is unacceptable and that you don't represent martial arts at all. Everything you've ever done is ridiculous,'" Mir said. "And none of that was ever shown."

Although the cast ultimately voted to keep Browning on the show, Mir had a dissenting vote.

"I didn't agree with it," he said. "I thought it worked out in the end fine (with the loss). I understand why Dana White did what he did. It looked better that Efrain got to smash his ass and show that [Browning] quit in the fight, but there was a chance that if [Browning] would have won ... it would have looked bad. But at the same time, I didn't think he should have even got the opportunity to fight Efrain. I think it's a privilege that we all go through hardships and we all strive to be on the platform that we are on now, and for him to have that kind of behavior consistently over and over again and to be able to be allowed to compete and do what we all do -- I mean, if you're a pro football player and you were to shove someone in practice, you don't get to play on Sunday. That's just the way it is.

"I think it sends a bad message."

Mir was especially troubled by Browning's behavior since it wouldn't fly in other environment. He also said it sends a bad message to viewers and MMA fans.

"Someone like Junie's behavior would never be allowed in anybody's gym," he said. "I don't think anybody ... could tell me that if Junie had done that in their gym that their coach would allow him to be there for more than a day without getting kicked out. For people to see that, I just didn't want people to get the wrong impression. That's what I was afraid of by allowing Junie to stay. Like I said, it worked out in the end because he got beat up. But he also had airtime, he's popular, and people get to see his behavior."

Just a day after the controversial episode aired and the finalists determined, the UFC released the full fight for the event, which takes place at The Palms Las Vegas. As in seasons' past, eliminated cast members filled out the undercard. The main card features Escudero vs. Phillipe Nover (lightweight final), Ryan Bader vs. Vinny Magalhaes (light-heavyweight finale) and two non-"TUF" fights with Anthony Johnson vs. Kevin Burns and Jason MacDonald vs. Wilson Gouveia. The fifth spot on the nationally televised card surprisingly went to Browning, who takes on Dave Kaplan.

"As far as him being on the main card, it does reward his behavior," Mir said. "I think in the future, it shows people who get on the show that as long as they act like a moron and idiot that they get to have time. And that face time equals money, so maybe they don't have to put that much effort into fighting.

"I hear more people talk about Junie Browning than they do talk about Phillipe Nover and Efrain, which I think is an insult to those two fighters. They are the better martial artists. They're better fighters."

In an interview with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) last week, though, Browning, said UFC officials simply know he can provide an exciting fight for the viewers.

"I think once [the UFC] realized I came out here (to Las Vegas) to train, and that I changed stuff up -- that I'm not necessarily exactly the way I was on the show," said Browning, who's been training at Xtreme Couture. "I think they are sort of taking a gamble on me again. They know I'm going to put on an exciting fight, regardless. I'm sure a lot of those other guys, their fights aren't going to be very exciting. They need someone to put on an exciting fight that night."

Feb 7, 2006
"Babalu" vs. Sokoudjou likely for "Day of Reckoning"

Affliction Entertainment's second card, "Day of Reckoning," is nearly complete with the likely addition of a familiar face.

UFC and PRIDE veteran light-heavyweight Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou (5-3) is currently in negotiations to face previously announced participant Renato "Babalu" Sobral (31-7) at the Jan. 24 event in Anaheim, Calif.

Afflicition announced the matchup very inconspicuously with an updated fight card on the official website for the event, but Affliction vice president Tom Atencio told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the deal is not yet finalized.

"We're working on it right now," Atencio said. It hasn't been finalized, but we're definitely working on it."

Atencio said the administrators of the website posted the information before the contracts were finalized, but that he does feel positive about the likelihood of the bout.

"They jumped the gun like always," Atencio said. "We're finalizing an agreement now. It's just a matter of how many fights and making sure that we all come to mutual agreements."

If signed, Sokoudjou will be looking to bounce back from an October TKO loss to Luis Cane at UFC 89.

Sokoudjou came to the UFC after back-to-back knockout victories over Ricardo Arona and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira in 2007 under the PRIDE banner. "The African Assassin" was a highly touted 205-pounder when he entered the organization, but a 1-2 record in the UFC -- including a win over Kazuhiro Nakamura and losses to Cane and Lyoto Machida -- led to Sokoudjou's recent release.

Having previously been announced as a participant for the January event, Sobral will be looking for his fifth-straight win. Sobral also competed in Affliction's debut card, earning a unanimous-decision victory over Mike Whitehead.

A UFC, Cage Rage, Rings and IVC veteran, Sobral earned the Strikeforce light-heavyweight title with a TKO victory over Bobby Southworth in November.

Atencio also said that a previously rumored bout between Brett Cooper and Patrick Speight is not yet finalized. While Atencio said Cooper has been booked, a different opponent may yet be named for the HDNet-broadcast bout.

"It's kind of subject to change at this point," Atencio said. "I've got some other interests that I'm working on. Maybe a Korean fighter, maybe something else. It's out there, and it is what it is, but it definitely could change."

The full card as it now stands includes:

MAIN CARD (PPV)

WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko vs. Andrei Arlovski
Josh Barnett vs. Gilbert Yvel
Vitor Belfort vs. Matt Lindland
Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou
Chris Horodecki vs. Dan Lauzon
PRELIMINARY CARD (HDNet)

Vladamir Matyushenko vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
Jay Hieron vs. Jason High
L.C. Davis vs. Mark Hominick
Antonio Duarte vs. Albert Rios