McGregor vs Mayweather 8/26/17

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 10, 2006
I am not sure why this is going to sell so well, if everyone is calling for a slaughter.

I guess it's just me then. I cannot comprehend why anyone would pay to see this.
It's like paying to see Kershaw pitch against a bunch of kids in high school. Do you really want to sit there and watch him pitch a 9 inning shut out against 15 year olds?

9/10 people in this thread are probably going to stream this.
To fork up $80 is insane...

I'm calling for less than a million buys. No way it breaks that.
I think it will do more than 1 mill buys but nowhere near what they expect. This fight really started with the notion that Ronda Rousey can beat Mayweather in a fight. In a fight! Once she got beat, the next name White threw out there was McGregor. So the whole concept of this fight is which sport is more skilled, more popular, better. And once people really realize that this is what is not going happen and McGregor is going to look like he's never gotten into a real fight before then they probably won't buy the $100 ppv fight. Especially when Mexicans are gonna save their money for Mex Indy weekend and go then instead. The hype will follow that instead

Apr 25, 2002
There isn't one strict boxing stance that boxers use. There's nothing that Conor can do in the confines of boxing that's gonna surprise Floyd (or really any top boxer).

theres different stances in boxing but they're all based on the same principles. Floyd fights people who put their chest and head forward. Conor's chest and head will sit further back with his front foot more forward. Floyd covers distance hella good. he's just gonna have to cover more distance than usual, while dealing with a longer reach than usual on a southpaw. im not sayin Floyd will lose cus this, im just sayin what McGregor brings to the table.

Feb 10, 2006
theres different stances in boxing but they're all based on the same principles. Floyd fights people who put their chest and head forward. Conor's chest and head will sit further back with his front foot more forward. Floyd covers distance hella good. he's just gonna have to cover more distance than usual, while dealing with a longer reach than usual on a southpaw. im not sayin Floyd will lose cus this, im just sayin what McGregor brings to the table.
And this is the problem that I'm having with this fight. Conor is bringing NOTHING to the table. NOTHING! He has zero experience in the ring and that's that. Let's reverse this a little bit. What would Floyd bring in the MMA world? The philly shell? His counter punches? What good is that in the octagon? NOTHING? MMA fans are eating this up the most. That's why I'm not watching this fight because hearing somebody talking about McGregor having a chance is gonna annoy the shit out of me.

Apr 25, 2002
And this is the problem that I'm having with this fight. Conor is bringing NOTHING to the table. NOTHING! He has zero experience in the ring and that's that. Let's reverse this a little bit. What would Floyd bring in the MMA world? The philly shell? His counter punches? What good is that in the octagon? NOTHING? MMA fans are eating this up the most. That's why I'm not watching this fight because hearing somebody talking about McGregor having a chance is gonna annoy the shit out of me.

i feel you. but Floyd obviously thinks Conor's bringin somethin new to the table. why would they been talkin bout bringin a UFC fighter in to help him train? for what? maybe cus the clinch sitch. maybe it's cus of distance. its not cus of experience in the ring. but they see somethin.

reversing this is useless, but a philly shell can block body kicks. counter punches are counter punches. whats not good about those?

Feb 10, 2006
i feel you. but Floyd obviously thinks Conor's bringin somethin new to the table. why would they been talkin bout bringin a UFC fighter in to help him train? for what? maybe cus the clinch sitch. maybe it's cus of distance. its not cus of experience in the ring. but they see somethin.

reversing this is useless, but a philly shell can block body kicks. counter punches are counter punches. whats not good about those?
In the MMA world, you don't just counter punch, it's like you can counter with a tackle! Everything from here on out is to sell this fight. Bottom line. Someone mentioned it earlier and another selling point for a Floyd fight is because Ireland will support the shit out of McGregor. And that's why Floyd fought for so many years a latino on Mexican holidays

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
LOL .. if Conor goes out there in his Corbett stance he's really going to get eaten alive. Floyd's footwork alone is going to neutralize that ridiculous stance. Conor is going have to punch across his entire body to attempt to land on Floyd who's going to be on the outside of his lead foot at all times.

Apr 25, 2002
In the MMA world, you don't just counter punch, it's like you can counter with a tackle! Everything from here on out is to sell this fight. Bottom line. Someone mentioned it earlier and another selling point for a Floyd fight is because Ireland will support the shit out of McGregor. And that's why Floyd fought for so many years a latino on Mexican holidays

counter punching is hella important in mma. its not all about ground game or wrestling. Floyd, specifically, would do great in mma if he dedicated a few months to muay thai and sprawling. muay thai specifically for knees and checking kicks. his jab would keep people at a distance. his counter punching would be his most valuable asset. you can neutralize someone lookin for a takedown if you floss a little knee when they look at your legs. check kicks and he wont get chopped down. Floyd can focus on a couple standing defensive things and focus on knees in the pocket and he'd do good. his boxing skill would play the biggest role.

Feb 10, 2006
counter punching is hella important in mma. its not all about ground game or wrestling. Floyd, specifically, would do great in mma if he dedicated a few months to muay thai and sprawling. muay thai specifically for knees and checking kicks. his jab would keep people at a distance. his counter punching would be his most valuable asset. you can neutralize someone lookin for a takedown if you floss a little knee when they look at your legs. check kicks and he wont get chopped down. Floyd can focus on a couple standing defensive things and focus on knees in the pocket and he'd do good. his boxing skill would play the biggest role.
And this is why no matter how popular MMA is, it will never get the respect that it deserves. You just said in a few months, Floyd can do this and that. In boxing, most of these fighters have been doing this for years. These boxing champions have been doing this since they were teenagers. Floyd? Since the womb. Its just totally different sport. Different world. Might as well put a NFL player in there with Floyd. The only chance McGregor has is if he fights the way Maidana did. Don't get scared to get hit and throw 100 punches a round. Fuck the techniques on August 26 for reals

Apr 25, 2002
3 months of a couple muay thai aspects, not pure muay thai. 3 months of conditioning the shins and learning the knee as a pocket weapon (vs in a clinch) would go a lot more further than 3 months of full blown wrestling and bjj. neutralize the ground or neutralize a shoot. or both preferrably but that takes years. jab'll keep em off the clinch. im talkin bout Floyd and his current skill set. not just any boxer. he aint even gotta kick. im not sayin he can be a UFC or Bellator champ right now. but its not like Mayweather is starting from scratch.

Feb 10, 2006
3 months of a couple muay thai aspects, not pure muay thai. 3 months of conditioning the shins and learning the knee as a pocket weapon (vs in a clinch) would go a lot more further than 3 months of full blown wrestling and bjj. neutralize the ground or neutralize a shoot. or both preferrably but that takes years. jab'll keep em off the clinch. im talkin bout Floyd and his current skill set. not just any boxer. he aint even gotta kick. im not sayin he can be a UFC or Bellator champ right now. but its not like Mayweather is starting from scratch.
Part of fantasy became a reality and this fight was made. The reality is that its strictly a boxing match. this is a boxing match. To charge so much for a boxing match that is not going to be competitive at all is what is bugging me. For the past 10 years, boxing fans have been divided because of promoters and fighters not doing business with eachother and fights not being made when they should be. And for the past 2 years boxing fans have demanded this Canelo vs GGG fight and we got it. Two fighters in their prime and expected to be a better fight then Floyd vs Manny. And now we get this fight where we get an athlete that knows nothing about professional boxing and people are excited about it? With us fans, we are always going to sound like we know it all so it just creates fantasy and conversation. But in this particular case, no need for that. No need to talk about one fighter doing this and the other one doing that. We are talking about Floyd Mayweather here. 49 professional boxing fights, so he's seen it all. Why bother questioning what McGregor can bring to the table? Irish fans? That's it. Personally, I don't find it disrespectful to boxing but disrespectful to boxing fans who support and demand the best matches in boxing and MMA fans for persuading them to think that MMA fighters are superior to all.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Has anyone said why it had to be boxing and not kickboxing? Would there be a difference in buys had they co-promoted with Glory?
Only thing that bothers me is that they're trying to prove who the better boxer is between one of the GOATs and a guy with 0 fights instead of trying to prove who the better fighter is.
Then again most boxers are terrified of kickboxers so it's not surprising Floyd wouldn't compromise

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Has anyone said why it had to be boxing and not kickboxing? Would there be a difference in buys had they co-promoted with Glory?
Both Mayweather and McGregor would be like "who the fuck is Glory?"

Glory averaged like 300k viewers when it aired on SpikeTV and they have champions that make like $10,000 per fight lol