Jose Aldo Trying To Duck Anthony Pettis After Fight Is Booked, Refusing To Fight

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 29, 2005
PHX
LOL is Aldo scurred? He might not like how this turns out. Dana White is heated. Aldo might get stripped of the belt.

Dana White: Jose Aldo is refusing to fight Anthony Pettis - MMA Fighting

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- At the UFC 156 postfight press conference in Las Vegas on Feb. 2, UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo Jr., fresh off an exciting victory over former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar, said he thought a potential fight with Anthony Pettis sounded interesting.

Since, then, though, Aldo has apparently changed his mind. According to UFC president Dana White, Aldo has balked at the notion of defending his title against the former WEC lightweight champion.

"Jose Aldo came out and said ‘There's no way in hell I'm fighting Pettis,'" White told reporters following the UFC 157 post-fight press conference at the Honda Center. "He's absolutely refusing to fight Pettis. Doesn't think he deserves the shot."

According to White, Aldo's manager, Andre Pederneiras, met with White and Lorenzo Feritta last week in London and said his fighter won't take a bout with Pettis.

"He sat down with me and Lorenzo and he said "we don't think he deserves it," White said. ‘I said ‘What do you mean, you don't think he deserves it?' I said ‘Are you out of your f--- mind? Are you serious, did you seriously just ask that question?' It's like if Aldo wanted to move up to 155, we're going to say he's not the No. 1 contender? What are you talking about?"

A planned Aldo-Pettis fight has drawn quite a bit of reaction from MMA fans, both pro and con. On one hand, purists don't believe Pettis, winner of three straight fights and seven of his past eight, should be granted an immediate shot at the champion of another weight class. On the other, the bout from a stylistic standpoint looks to be a potential thriller, at a time when there's no clear-cut number-one contender at featherweight for Aldo, who hasn't lost since 2005.

White's in the latter camp, and he insists he'll get his way in the end.

"That's fight's on," White said. "He's going to fight Pettis or he's not going to like how this is going to turn out."

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Tatame asked Aldo about it. Source

Dana said in the post-event (UFC 157) that you don't wanna accept the fight against Pettis. Is it true?
There is nothing sealed yet, nobody signed any paper. We're waiting the best for us. I didn't talk to Dedé (André Pederneiras, his manager) so I don't know how is the situation. I didn't watch the event last night because I was sleeping so I'm waiting. First I'll talk to Dedé to see how is the situation.

Is there any possibility for you to turn down the fight?
This is too relative, we don't know what is going on. It's a great fight, everyone want to see it but first I have to talk to Dedé.

UFC had put you against Edgar in a superfight and now they want match you against Pettis. Do you agree with all these line-jumpings?
No, I don't. They've created a ranking system just to avoid that, but it isn't working at all because they're pulling people from other divisions. It's just happening in my division, I don't see it happening in the others. Everyone talks about making superfights but it never happens in other divisions. We have to sit down with UFC to find a solution for this case. Why they don't pair Anderson Silva with all the other guys people wanna see him fighting against for years? Since I was from WEC I hear this superfight matchmaking thing. Among featherweights this is becoming so much easier.

Why do you think it's happening only in FW division?
Yeah... (laughs), I don't know whether exists a reason for it but it doesn't matter. Who wants to be the champion doesn't pick opponent or places. We have to be ready anytime and that's what I do. I get ready to give my best.

Do you think other opponents, like Ricardo Lamas, deserve this chance before Pettis?
Who deserves this shot, in first place, is Ricardo Lamas because he beat Erik Koch, who was the next contender. He earned his chance after his victory. Cub Swanson is another fighter who is in a great streak. They are featherweight fighters, who are fighting for a long time for a title shot that never comes since UFC are pulling heavier fighters to fight @ 145lbs. If UFC wants a superfight, I don't see any problem. I fight whoever they choose, but for the belt, it must be against Lamas or Swanson.

So do you believe this fight against Pettis shouldn't be for the title?
In my opinion, no. How can a guy fight for a title if he never fought in the division before? It's unfair with the other guys. I don't say it for myself because I'm the champion and I fight whoever steps up but it's unfair with everyone who is training, winning their fights, thinking about being the champ. Meanwhile, a lightweight fighter asks for the FW title shot and UFC accepts it.

Would Pettis give you the toughest fight of your carrer?
(laughs) I heard this story before when I fought Frankie Edgar and we know what happened. Whoever fights José Aldo has to be very well prepared because I train a lot. Fighting is my life so I'll always train hard to give a good show for the people,

Jan 29, 2005
PHX

In my opinion, no. How can a guy fight for a title if he never fought in the division before? It's unfair with the other guys. I don't say it for myself because I'm the champion and I fight whoever steps up but it's unfair with everyone who is training, winning their fights, thinking about being the champ. Meanwhile, a lightweight fighter asks for the FW title shot and UFC accepts it.
Apparently Jose is new to combat sports lol Anthony Pettis is number 1 contender in a different weight class, the way Jose says it he should just lose all ranking and start over because he switched weight classes

lol if boxing did that shit nobody would be a multi weight division champion

throughout the interview he was complaining about this only happening in his weight class and not in the other ones, doe he not realize his weight class is in the middle of all the weight classes that are only 10lbs apart? Of course this is gonna happen there. Mighty Mouse fought for the 135lb title and is now the 125lb champion. Uriah Faber was the long time 145lb champion had 2 title shots at 145 after losing, has already had two title shots at 135 and lost them both lol people are gonna jump a lot.

You get to low weight classes you get to multi division fighters, welcome to combat sports Jose lol

Normally I would never in the past called Jose scared of a fight, but I think he realized how much trouble Frankie was and see how great and dynamic of a striker Pettis is and he's using the division jumping thing as an excuse. Aldo has always been a massive FW and now he don't have that size advantage, even though he's still bigger than both Edgar and Pettis.

Feb 12, 2004
Agreed! This fight needs to happen for sure. Pettis is probably the most dynamic striker in MMA next to The spider. Dude is athletic as fuck and very creative. He's one of the few strikers that has learned how to utilize his taekwondo background in mma(just like silva).

Feb 8, 2006

Dana said in the post-event (UFC 157) that you don't wanna accept the fight against Pettis. Is it true?
There is nothing sealed yet, nobody signed any paper. We're waiting the best for us. I didn't talk to Dedé (André Pederneiras, his manager) so I don't know how is the situation. I didn't watch the event last night because I was sleeping so I'm waiting. First I'll talk to Dedé to see how is the situation.

Is there any possibility for you to turn down the fight?
This is too relative, we don't know what is going on. It's a great fight, everyone want to see it but first I have to talk to Dedé.

UFC had put you against Edgar in a superfight and now they want match you against Pettis. Do you agree with all these line-jumpings?
No, I don't. They've created a ranking system just to avoid that, but it isn't working at all because they're pulling people from other divisions. It's just happening in my division, I don't see it happening in the others. Everyone talks about making superfights but it never happens in other divisions. We have to sit down with UFC to find a solution for this case. Why they don't pair Anderson Silva with all the other guys people wanna see him fighting against for years? Since I was from WEC I hear this superfight matchmaking thing. Among featherweights this is becoming so much easier.

Why do you think it's happening only in FW division?
Yeah... (laughs), I don't know whether exists a reason for it but it doesn't matter. Who wants to be the champion doesn't pick opponent or places. We have to be ready anytime and that's what I do. I get ready to give my best.

Do you think other opponents, like Ricardo Lamas, deserve this chance before Pettis?
Who deserves this shot, in first place, is Ricardo Lamas because he beat Erik Koch, who was the next contender. He earned his chance after his victory. Cub Swanson is another fighter who is in a great streak. They are featherweight fighters, who are fighting for a long time for a title shot that never comes since UFC are pulling heavier fighters to fight @ 145lbs. If UFC wants a superfight, I don't see any problem. I fight whoever they choose, but for the belt, it must be against Lamas or Swanson.

Would Pettis give you the toughest fight of your carrer?
(laughs) I heard this story before when I fought Frankie Edgar and we know what happened. Whoever fights José Aldo has to be very well prepared because I train a lot. Fighting is my life so I'll always train hard to give a good show for the people,
I'm a fan of Aldo, but he sounds scured(and he loss to edger IMO!) Pettis is the truth!!!!

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Aldo Finally Agrees To Fight Pettis

I read a couple rumor mills over the last 20 minutes and apparently it's signed so I just checked Dana White's twitter and these are his last couple of tweets

Dana White ‏ D @DANA white
Aldo vs Pettis is ON!!!!!

Dana White ‏ D @DANA white
Yes Aldo vs Pettis and it's for Aldo's UFC 145lb title