BREAKING NEWS: Vitor out, Machida in vs. Weidman

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 10, 2006
WOW!! Sorry but this needed its own thread.

On the same day the Nevada State Athletic Commission announced a major change in its policy on testosterone-replacement therapy, there has been a major change at the top of the next major card the state will host.

Vitor Belfort (24-10 MMA, 13-6 UFC) is out of his middleweight title shot against champion Chris Weidman (11-0 MMA, 7-0 UFC) at UFC 173 in May, and in his place will step fellow Brazilian and former champion Lyoto Machida (21-4 MMA, 13-4 UFC). “FOX Sports Live” broke the news late Thursday that Belfort voluntarily took himself out of the fight in the wake of the NSAC’s change in stance on TRT use.

“The Nevada State Athletic Commission recently altered its policy and no longer will permit testosterone use exemptions, and will not permit a TRT program,” Belfort said in a statement. “As other jurisdictions may follow suit, I am going to drop my TRT program and compete in MMA without it.

“Given the time constraints involved between now and my proposed next bout in May, I have determined not to apply for a license to fight in Nevada at this time.”

UFC 173 takes place May 24 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main card will air on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

Belfort earned his shot at Weidman on the strength of three straight “Knockout of the Night” bonus wins, all stemming from head kicks. In January 2013, he stopped Michael Bisping. This past May, he dropped Luke Rockhold in the first round. And in November, he shut down Dan Henderson just 67 seconds into the first.

All three of those fights came in Brazil, which led to speculation that the UFC was ensuring Belfort could fight because of his status as arguably the promotion’s most criticized user of testosterone-replacement therapy. But by booking him to fight Weidman in Las Vegas, that speculation would have been laid to rest.

First, Belfort would have had to apply for a license to fight in Nevada – where he hasn’t fought in more than three years, and not since his sanctioned use of TRT began. In 2006, Belfort failed a drug test in Nevada for elevated testosterone, which was thought to have made his application for a TUE for TRT for this May’s fight with Weidman a contentious issue.

But on Thursday, it became moot when the NSAC decided to fully ban TRT use from here on out. The NSAC had granted TUEs to several fighters before this – but none of them had failed drug tests for elevated testosterone in the past.

Machida, a former light heavyweight champ, now gets a title shot in what will be just his third fight at 185 pounds. In his debut in the division this past October, he knocked out Mark Munoz. And earlier this month, he took a decision from Gegard Mousasi in Brazil, giving him four wins in his past five fights.

“I’m really excited for this opportunity to fight UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman,” Machida said in a statement. “I’m going to train hard and be well prepared for this fight.”

Weidman has been highly critical of Belfort and his TRT use, but now that won’t matter. The unbeaten New Yorker this past July knocked out longtime middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva to win the title. Then in December, he defended it when Silva broke his leg when Weidman checked a kick – one of the most gruesome injuries in MMA history.

“Machida is a dangerous fighter and he knows what it takes to become champion,” Weidman said in a statement. “He’s been on my radar since he dropped to 185, so I’m looking forward to defending my title against him in May.”

May 6, 2002
Not sure why Belfort pulled out of the fight though.
He could have just stopped using. He has to stop sometime if he wants to compete now. It's not like he would have stopped mid cycle or anything and messed himself up. That guy is on year around. Maybe he needs a year or so to bounce back...

Feb 10, 2006
I am a Vitor fan.

He has been juicing legally for a long time. IF Vitor can produce testosterone on his own, which is an IF at this point it will take a while for his body to get back to normal levels. Now if Vitor really needs this TRT as he says, we may never see him fight again. Doubt it, but it is a possibility.

Feb 10, 2006
First no one needs it as long as Vitor has been using. Normally levels go back to normal with in 6 months to 1 year. Once levels become normal it can take another 6 months to 1 year for the person to stop TRT. You can't just stop, you have to slowly wean your body off not naturally producing testosterone. Vitor has been using TRT for a long time.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
UFC Pulled Vitor Out Of The Fight, Vitor Didn't Pull Out

Vitor Belfort: UFC pulled me from UFC 173; I didn't withdraw - MMA Fighting

Vitor Belfort is out of UFC 173, but the middleweight says it was not his decision.

Hours after the UFC announced Lyoto Machida will replace "The Phenom" in a title fight with Chris Weidman on May 24 in Las Vegas, Nevada, Belfort posted a statement on his Facebook page on the subject.

According to the Brazilian, he didn’t decide withdraw from UFC 173 after the Nevada State Athletic Commission opted to ban the testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) on Thursday.

"Vitor Belfort didn’t give up on the fight," he wrote, "he was forced to give up.

"I never gave up on UFC 173 fight and never said that. Any information about it in the media is not true. What I said was that I’ll ‘quit on TRT’, and not ‘quit on the fight’, to continue my dream to fight."

Belfort says that he needed more time to get ready for a fight without the use of TRT, and he expects to fight the winner of Weidman vs. Machida when he returns.

"The UFC has decided to put another opponent in my place because of the fact that I won’t have time to suit NSAC’s new rules," he said. "According to the UFC, I will fight the winner of Weidman vs. Lyoto under the athletic commission new rules.

"I’m sorry that it happened and I appreciate the strength and understanding of all the fans, sponsors, UFC and the athletic commissions."

Apr 25, 2002
Vitor Belfort is out of UFC 173, but the middleweight says it was not his decision.

"Vitor Belfort didn’t give up on the fight," he wrote, "he was forced to give up.

"I never gave up on UFC 173 fight and never said that. Any information about it in the media is not true. What I said was that I’ll ‘quit on TRT’, and not ‘quit on the fight’, to continue my dream to fight."

Belfort says that he needed more time to get ready for a fight without the use of TRT, and he expects to fight the winner of Weidman vs. Machida when he returns.

"The UFC has decided to put another opponent in my place because of the fact that I won’t have time to suit NSAC’s new rules," he said. "According to the UFC, I will fight the winner of Weidman vs. Lyoto under the athletic commission new rules.

so Vitor expects 173 to wait for him?