Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Former champ Trinidad could be Pavlik's next opponent

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: February 15, 2008, 8:15 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
LAS VEGAS -- Middleweight world champion Kelly Pavlik faces Jermain Taylor on Saturday night at the MGM Grand in their 166-pound non-title rematch, but his promoter, Top Rank's Bob Arum, is laying the groundwork for Pavlik's next fight.

It could come against former three-division champion Felix Trinidad on June 7 at New York's Madison Square Garden, Arum told ESPN.com on Friday.

Win or lose, Pavlik will remain middleweight champion and Arum is planning his first defense. The leading candidate remains popular rising contender "Irish" John Duddy, who is a big attraction in New York.

Pavlik and Taylor weighed in at 164 pounds Friday, four pounds over the middleweight limit but two under the limit agreed to by both fighters.

Arum said he has spoken to Don King, Trinidad's promoter, about making Pavlik-Trinidad, which would take place the night before the annual Puerto Rican Day parade in New York.

"We've talked," Arum said. "Then King went down to Puerto Rico to meet with Trinidad last week. Then we spoke this week before he went to Germany and he said the meeting with the Trinidads went positively."

King is in Germany, where he has Sergei Liakhovich fighting Nikolai Valuev in a heavyweight elimination fight on Saturday night. Arum said he and King will meet face-to-face in New York next Friday to further discuss the bout.

Trinidad, an icon in Puerto Rico with a tremendous following in New York, is coming off a decision loss to Roy Jones on Jan. 19, but the former three-division champion looked good in a bout fought at 170 pounds, 10 pounds heavier than Trinidad had ever fought at before.

For the past few years, Arum has had Miguel Cotto, his Puerto Rican star, headline on the Puerto Rican Day parade weekend. But this year, Cotto is scheduled to fight Alfonso Gomez on April 12 and the turnaround to June 7 is too quick.

Arum plans to keep the date at Madison Square Garden and put Pavlik in the headline fight with an undercard built around some of his Puerto Rican fighters, such as junior flyweight champion Ivan "Iron Boy" Calderon and junior featherweight contender Juan Manuel Lopez.

Arum is coming to New York next week to watch Duddy fight on the undercard of next Saturday's Wladimir Klitschko-Sultan Ibragimov undercard at the Garden.

Arum said Pavlik-Duddy would be an HBO fight, possibly with middleweight titlist Arthur Abraham on the undercard to give him exposure ahead of a possible fall fight with Pavlik. Abraham's next defense, announced Friday, will come March 29 in Kiel, Germany, against Elvin Ayala, who is coming off a draw with first-season "Contender" winner Sergio Mora.

Pavlik-Trinidad would be an HBO PPV fight, Arum said.

There is concern about whether Trinidad can make 160 pounds. He struggled to make 170 for Jones. But Arum said the fight would have to be at 160.

Pavlik is unaware of the discussions, Arum said, but Top Rank's matchmakers and Pavlik's manager, Cameron Dunkin, are aware of the talks and like the match.

"If Trinidad can make that weight and provided the [revenue] split is right, we would love to make the fight," Arum said. "But I won't know for sure until I meet with King."

Dan Rafael covers boxing for ESPN.com.

I hope Jt fucks there plans up

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 24, 2005
Pavlik, Taylor weigh in before rematch fight

VEGAS -- Kelly Pavlik and Jermain Taylor both weighed in at 164 pounds Friday at the MGM Grand Garden in the anticlimactic final step before the rematch of their exciting middleweight title bout.

Pavlik knocked out Taylor four months ago to claim the WBC belt, and both agreed to fight the rematch at a 166-pound catch weight with no title on the line.

Both claimed the extra weight would help them, as both have labored to make the middleweight division's 160-pound limit in the past. They had no such problems this week, with Pavlik even making a trip to the MGM Grand's buffet -- though he ate only healthy food, he claimed.

In front of a lively crowd featuring fans of both fighters, Taylor took the stage to chants of "J.T." and "Woo, pig! Sooie!" -- the historic hog call of the University of Arkansas. Two fans waved a Razorbacks flag a few rows above his wife, Erica.

"You better believe this time here, it's going to be a totally different fight," Taylor said. "I get him down this time, he's going to stay down."

Pavlik was knocked down in the second round of their first fight but recovered and eventually stopped Taylor in the seventh round in Atlantic City 4½ months ago. Instead of taking a tuneup fight to recover from the first loss of his career, Taylor immediately exercised the rematch clause in his contract.

Pavlik, who's known as "The Ghost," didn't have to say much to incite the hundreds of fans wearing T-shirts with his likeness and holding up hand puppets shaped like ghosts. Pavlik's camp expects thousands of fans from his native Youngstown, Ohio, to join the West Coast's Ohio expatriates at the fight.

When Pavlik got the microphone, he simply rapped his fist against it repeatedly and then said, "Youngstown!"

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3248465

Jul 24, 2005
Welterweight champ Quintana could defend title against Mosley

While new welterweight titleholder Carlos Quintana, who pulled a major upset when he convincingly outpointed Paul Williams to win a belt last Saturday night, returned to Puerto Rico to a hero's welcome, promoter Lou DiBella began working on his first defense Tuesday.

It could come against former three-division champion Shane Mosley, DiBella told ESPN.com.

Mosley is planning to fight May 31 in Las Vegas on HBO PPV, but his opponent has not been solidified. Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer initially was in negotiations with Don King to match Mosley (44-5, 37 KOs) with former champ Ricardo Mayorga in a junior middleweight fight. When those discussions cooled last week, talks heated up with former undisputed welterweight champion Zab Judah, but no deal has been struck.

Now, Quintana (25-1, 19 KOs) is in the picture.

"I called Richard Schaefer in the last 24 hours and he indicated that it was very interesting and we would speak about it again," DiBella said. "We agreed it would be an interesting matchup of styles and an exciting fight. I ran the fight by Carlos and his trainer, Jose Bonilla, and they like the fight."

DiBella said it was a preliminary discussion but that he had a good feeling about it.

"I'm aware Richard has had discussions with Judah but there is no deal closed," DiBella said. "I've always had good dealings with Richard. There's nothing not to like about the fight. I'm sure Shane would love the opportunity to win another title. And Carlos relishes the chance to fight a star like Shane Mosley, which he is looking forward to doing. It's a hell of a fight. You have two guys who are boxers but both are capable of hurting the other guy."

There was a rematch clause in Williams' contract with Quintana, but it permits Quintana to take an interim bout before having to give him a rematch.

Quintana, who won by scores of 116-112, 116-112 and 115-113, was a heavy underdog against Williams, who was making his first defense. But Quintana consistently beat Williams to the punch, landed clean shots throughout the fight and opened cuts over both of his eyes to win the fight.

In his only previous title shot, Quintana, 31, had been stopped in five rounds by Miguel Cotto in December 2006 in a fight for a vacant title.

In his last bout in November, Mosley, 36, challenged Cotto for his version of the 147-pound crown but lost a tight decision in one of the most exciting fights of the year.

Schaefer was unavailable for comment.

Dan Rafael covers boxing for ESPN.com.

Jul 24, 2005
Valuev, Liakhovich Ready For Saturday

Wilfried Sauerland has praised Nikolai Valuev´s shape ahead of his WBA eliminator against Sergey Liakhovich on Saturday night. The German manager has no doubts the Russian Giant will celebrate his 48th victory and win a rematch with Ruslan Chagaev. “Both Valuev and Liakhovich are very strong,” he said at today´s press conference. “But I know that Niko has looked great in practice. For me he is the best heavyweight in the world – if he sticks to the game plan and uses his size advantage cleverly.”

The manager stressed the importance of Saturday´s clash. “There is a lot at stake,” he stated. “It´s make-or-break.” As always, the Russian Giant (47-1, 34 KOs) refused to comment on his opponent. “Just like Liakhovich I have trained very hard,” was all he said. “Everything else I will show in the ring..”

Meanwhile, the White Wolf (23-2, 14 KOs) voiced his confidence. “Everything went very well during the preparation,” the former WBO champion stated. “I am very optimistic for Saturday.” Manager Ivaylo Gotzev also fancies his fighter´s chances: “I have been working with him since 1996. Therefore I can say that we will see the best Liakhovich ever. After the fight he will have many new fans in Germany because Sergey Liakhovich is the best kept secret in heavyweight boxing.”

Eastsideboxing.com
I didn't know these fools was fighting saturday

Jul 24, 2005
Steve Forbes vs Golden Boy?

to be telecast during a Free HBO weekend
By

FightNews has been informed that former IBF super featherweight champion Steve Forbes has been selected to fight Oscar De La Hoya in the first of three, Farewell? fights that the Golden Boy has proposed for 2008. Forbes, the former IBF super featherweight champion and runner-up in Season Two of The Contender was chosen over IBF jr welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi and WBA #3 ranked lightweight Dmitriy Salita. Forbes will face De La Hoya on May 3rd at a catch weight of approximately 150 pounds, which - ironically - was the same weight limit for the participants in Season Two of The Contender. Forbes contested the first part of his career at 130-pounds but his speed and ring generalship have allowed him to successfully compete at jr welter and welterweight. In his last fight, Forbes weighing 142 pounds - manhandled former hotshot Francisco Bojado en route to win a split decision back in October 2007. Although five foot-seven and half inches, Forbes fights tall with exception hand speed and reflexes. De La Hoya is the bigger man at five foot-ten and half inches, but the matador style of De La Hoya should provide an interesting counterpoint to the sharp shooting skills of the veteran Forbes. Golden Boy Promotions will officially announce the De La Hoya vs. Forbes contest this week. HBO will telecast the De La Hoya-Forbes fight during a Free HBO weekend!?

Feb 7, 2006
Wladimir Klitschko Expecting Top Performance

NEW YORK (Ticker) - IBF heavyweight boxing champion Wladimir Klitschko said he will put all thoughts of unifying the world title to the back of his mind when he faces WBO belt holder Sultan Ibragimov in New York on February 23.

Klitschko and Ibragimov will meet at Madison Square Garden in 11 days for the first unification fight in the heavyweight ranks since Lennox Lewis defeated Evander Holyfield in Las Vegas in 1999.

And despite the public clamor for the long-fragmented division to be restored to its former status at the top of the boxing hierarchy, the Ukrainian, who will be defending his title for the fifth time in two years, insisted on Tuesday that a good performance will mean more to him than putting two of the four belts in the hands of one champion.

"I'll be pretty honest with you," Klitschko, 31, said during a conference call to publicize the fight Tuesday. "I look on this first of all as a sporting event, a fight. I've enjoyed my preparations, I've enjoyed studying my opponent and I'm looking forward to accomplishing my game plan in the fight and gaining success.

"Secondly, I have to face it that this is a unification fight, it's very important, but as a fighter it's not important to me right now. To me it's important to deliver a great performance because I do really love what I do."

Klitschko will be seeking his 50th professional victory, having recorded a 49-3 record with 44 knockouts.

"We can talk about unification afterwards at the (post-fight) press conference, about how important it is, especially for the boxing fans. The sport of boxing needs (an undisputed) heavyweight champion badly.

"So I'm looking forward, as a boxing fan as well, to a guy who can hold more than just one title."

Klitschko, who is favored to beat unbeaten Russian Ibragimov (22-0, 17 KOs), is regarded by many as the best of the heavyweight champions. Uzbekistan's Ruslan Chagaev owns the WBA belt and Samuel Peter of Nigeria holds the interim WBC title.

If Klitschko does prevail against Ibragimov, he said he will leave it up to the boxing media and fans to decide whether he had done enough to be regarded as the No. 1 heavyweight in the division

"I don't want to get involved in it," Klitschko said. "I don't consider myself as anything but other guys can consider who is the best and who is the worst. "So I do my job first of all and do my best to deliver as good a performance as I can."

Ibragimov was scheduled for a unification fight with Chagaev last October in Moscow, only to see the WBA champ withdraw 10 weeks before the contest for undisclosed medical reasons later reported as hepatitis B.

Now the 32-year-old Ibragimov is eager to make the most of his second opportunity. "I was ready to go then but (Chagaev) got sick," Ibragimov said.

"Now I have another chance at a unification fight, with Klitschko, and I will take my chance."

Feb 7, 2006
Vazquez, Marquez Promise Another War

WBC Superbantamweight champion Israel Vazquez and challenger Rafael Marquez have promised a war to match their previous epic encounters when they meet for the third and final time in California on March 1.

The Mexican duo twice slugged it out last year with Marquez retiring his rival in the seventh at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California 11 months ago. Vazquez then exacted revenge last August with a sixth-round stoppage in Hidalgo, Texas.

Experts proclaimed both fights as the most exciting of last year and the pair will return to the Home Depot in two weeks for the highly anticipated rubber match.

Dubbed "Final Confrontation" by promoters, neither fighter made any effort to dampen expectation for another thriller when they spoke to the media on a Thursday conference call. Both men, speaking through interpreters, promised the fight would not go the distance in their battle for both the WBC and The Ring Magazine 122-pound titles.

"For the first fight I made a prediction and it didn't turn out my way so I don't want to make any predictions for this particular fight," said Vazquez (42-4, 31 KOs), a Mexico City native now living in Huntington Beach, California.

"Everyone knows who we are, you've seen us twice before and we are great Mexican warriors. I expect a furious battle again and it's going to end before the 12th round."

Former bantamweight world champion Marquez (37-4, 33 KOs) agreed.

"The only thing I can tell you is that we are strong fighters and we are tough fighters so it's going to end before the 12th, definitely," he said"

Marquez's trainer Nacho Beristain also endorsed the view that this would be another action-packed encounter.

"Mexicans give 100 percent in the ring and Marquez and Vazquez are no exception," Beristain said. " They bring everything to the ring. I don't see anything any different this time round.

"It's going to be a war. The first two fights were wars and I don't see why this one won't be. They're going to give everything in the ring."

Both 30-year-old Vazquez and Marquez, 32, agreed they were under no pressure to repeat the highs of fights I and II but that they would simply happen naturally.

"I really don't have any pressure," champion Vazquez said. "Our styles complement each other and make for a very good fight.

"The only thing I know for sure is that I'm going to try my best to hurt him round after round after round until I obtain my victory. That's my main concern, hurting him round by round."

Marquez also said he doesn't feel any pressure.

"I don't feel under any pressure, what you're going to see in the ring is a war," he said. "We're warriors and I know you're going to see a great fight."

Marquez, still resident in his native Mexico City, said he would make amends for his defeat last time round.

"In the first fight I did many great things, fought my fight and won. In the second fight I just made a lot of mistakes and Vazquez took advantage of those. He's a great fighter, a tough fighter and he took advantage.

"Now I'm waiting for this third fight so I can bring my title back to my people."

Jul 24, 2005
Shane Mosley: "Judah First, Miguel Cotto Next"

By Mark Vester

Former three-division champion Shane Mosley is aiming for revenge against WBA welterweight champion Miguel Cotto, who outpointed him last November in New York's Madison Square Garden. Mosley is tentatively scheduled to fight former undiputed welterweight champ Zab Judah on May 17.

Mosley tells Primera Hora that once Cotto beats Alfonso Gomez on April 12, and he gets past Judah, he wants to get another crack at the unbeaten champion from Puerto Rico. Unfortunately For Mosley, Cotto has already committed to facing the winner of the April 12 undercard bout between Kermit Cintron and Antonio Magararito, in July. Even if the winner of Cintron-Margarito is unable to make the July date, due to injury, Ricardo Mayorga is already lined up as a solid Plan B.

"Once Cotto beats Alfonso Gómez and I beat my next opponent, which is probably Zab Judah, it's important for me to get my revenge with Cotto. I have to finish what we started," Mosley said.

If he doesn't get Cotto, and he probably won't, WBO welterweight champion Carlos Quintana would gladly face Mosley down the line. Quintana told the paper that he has enough time to fully prepare for a fight in May, should Mosley decide to go for another option other than Judah.

"I am willing to fight him. I'm confident that I'll be prepared in time for the fight. A month of rest will be sufficient for me and it gives me enough time to train well," Quintana said.

Send News Tips and Comments To Mark Vester @ [email protected]

Jul 24, 2005
Ricky Hatton-Juan Lazcano For May 24?

By Mark Vester

According to the Manchester Evening News, Juan Lazcano (37-4, 27KOs) is likely to become the comeback opponent for Ricky Hatton at the City of Manchester Stadium on May 24. Lazcano has only lost twice since 98. He's coming off a close decision loss to Vivian Harris, which took place over a year ago, and he lost by decision to Jose Luis Castillo in 2004.

Lazcano was lined up for Hatton two-years ago, but a hand injury forced him out of the fight and Hatton instead took a chance by fighting then WBA welterweight champion Luis Collazo. Talks are said to be ongoing for a Hatton-Lazcano meeting. As reported yesterday, Wembley Stadium made a serious bid to stage Hatton' next fight. Reports indicate that Wembley was unsuccessful with their offer.

The paper says that no formal announcement will be made about Lazcano until negotiations are complete with the venue, and agreements are reached with US and British television networks.

If this goes down I see ricky taking another loss

Jul 24, 2005
Manny Pacquiao Passes WBC Medical Tests

By Ronnie Nathanielsz

Manny Pacquiao had his complete medical as required by the World Boxing Council at the Little Company of Mary San Pedro Community Hospital in Los Angeles, yesterday, and Viva Sports/Standard Today was informed he had no problems at all.

The examination included blood tests, neurology tests and also had his eyes checked with drops of dye being put into his eyes. He also underwent a weigh-in since the WBC requires both fighters to scale no more than 140-pounds one month before their scheduled March 15 rematch at the Mandalay Bay Resort Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas.

There was no word on how the medical examination of Juan Manuel Marquez went, but it was being done in Mexico City, and he, too, was not likely to have any problems especially in making the weight.

Other Filipino boxers, who accompanied Pacquiao and underwent the same medical procedures, were his younger brother Bobby Pacquiao, Arnel Fontanilla and Diosdado Gabi.

Meantime, the father of Pacquiao’s driver Joseph Jose called the boxing icon to check on whether the allegations against Pia Quijada, supposedly the second wife of Jose, of having siphoned off some $138,000 from Pacquiao’s bank account, was true. Pacquiao confirmed the caper and said an investigation was being conducted by the Los Angeles Police Department.

Viva Sports/Standard Today learned that there is a growing suspicion that others around Pacquiao were also involved in stealing his money and that there is an attempt at a coverup.

Rex “Wakee” Salud, who is regarded as a friend and confidant of Pacquiao, disclosed that Michael Koncz, who first learned of the siphoning off of some $138,000 from the $200,000 that Pacquiao deposited in December 2006 and informed the Filipino about it was “asking for a free hand to search everything so that we will know the truth.”

Koncz, who is regarded as a trusted aide of Top Rank promoter Bob Arum, reportedly believes that others are also involved in the Quijada anomaly. Pacquiao himself was puzzled as to who was behind all of this because he believed there were more people involved from among the so-called LA Boys.

Jinkee Pacquiao told Standard Today, she also believes others were involved

Jul 24, 2005
Duddy taking another bite out of Big Apple

DUDDY TAKING ANOTHER BITE OUT OF BIG APPLE
Duddy-Smichet on Feb. 23 Klitschko-Ibragimov card at MSG

NEW YORK (January 21, 2008) – World middleweight title contender “Ireland’s” John Duddy is looking forward to fighting again in his adopted New York City home for the first time since last May, when he battles tough Tunisian brawler Walid “Tempete de Sable” Smichet (17-3-1, 13 KOs) in the 10-round, off-TV co-feature on the February 23rd heavyweight championship unification show headlined by IBF king Wladimir Klitschko and WBO title-holder Sultan Ibragimov at Madison Square Garden.

Presently rated No. 3 by the WBO and WBC, as well as No. 6 and No. 11 by the WBA and IBF, respectively, Duddy (23-0, 17 KOs) also is ranked No. 10 in The Ring magazine.

Duddy, who has fought 11 times in the Big Apple, including five in Madison Square Garden, is training in North Carolina with his head trainer, Don Turner. The unbeaten, charismatic Irishman is coming off of three consecutive fights in Ireland, including his most notable victory to date in December, winning a 10-round decision against former 2-time world title challenger Howard Eastman.

“It’s my homecoming,” an excited Duddy said from training camp about his NYC fight versus Smichet. “It was great fighting in Ireland the past year, but I’m really looking forward to being back where I started my pro career with all those great fans. There’s a lot of interest in my career back home now and a lot of people are flying in to watch this fight. Most importantly, though, I think I’ve shown improvement in my last three fights, although a lot was just simple things we worked on. Don has me boxing like I did before (as an amateur).

“After the Howard Eastman fight, I’m confident about getting in the ring with any middleweight in the world. It wasn’t perfect, but I showed I had a good chin – I always knew that – used my head more and never took a step backwards. I’m much more comfortable. It was a step closer to me getting to the top and I’m happy with my progress.”

Smichet, fighting out of Montreal, has a portfolio that features a win by 10th round knockout of previously unbeaten (17-0) Matt O’Brien for the Canadian Middleweight Interim Title, as well as an eight-round draw against Donny McCrary of The Contender III fame
Undefeated New York City middleweights “Mean” Joe Greene (17-0) and Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin (15-0) are on the Klitschko-Ibragimov card. The main event is the only bout to air on HBO.

Tickets, priced at $1,000.00, $600.00, $300.00, $200.00 and $100.00, are on sale at the following locations: Manhattan: Demsey’s, 36th W. 33rd (212.629.9899); Queens: Elaine’s Deli, 65 Pl. Maspeth, Fiddlers Irish Pub, 65 Pl. Maspeth, Connelly’s Corner, Grand Ave. Maspeth, Hill Tap Bar, Grand Ave. Maspeth, Doyle’s Corner, Broadway Astoria; Woodside: Starting Gate, Sean Og’s, Saints & Sinners, Gaslight; Sunnyside: McGuinnesses, Maggie Mays; Yonkers: Bronx Heritage, McLean Ave. (914.766.7532); Brooklyn: Gleason’s Gym, 75 Front St. (718.797.2872); Pearl River: Gildea’s Bar & Restaurant (845.735.2564), South Bound Café (845.735.2903); Long Island: Poor House, Hemstead Turnpike (516.859.8780).

For more information