Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Mayweather: Pacquiao could have had $40 million if he fought me
Boxing article posted on December 17th, 2012 | Post Comment

Mayweather Pacquiao Mayweather vs. Pacquiao manny pacquiao floyd mayweather jr By Chris Williams: Floyd Mayweather Jr. doesn’t think Manny Pacquiao made the right decision to take lesser money to fight both Tim Bradley and Juan Manuel Marquez, both of which Pacquiao lost to. Mayweather said that Pacquiao made the wrong business decisions by facing those guys rather than fighting him.

Mayweather said to esnewsporting.com “Pacquiao could have gotten $40 million to fight me. Instead, he only $16 million.”

That’s a lot of money that Pacquiao could have had for the Mayweather fight. I wonder who advised Pacquiao to say no to that offer?

In hindsight it does seem like a really bad move on Pacquiao’s part for turning down the big cash that he could have received in a fight with Mayweather, because Pacquiao lost both of his recent fights and was knocked out brutally in his last one against Juan Manuel Marquez. Pacquiao no doubt would have been much better off taking the $40 million that Mayweather Jr. was offering him so that he could get a career high payday.

Mayweather also said that the $40 million wasn’t all that Pacquiao would get for a fight with him. Mayweather just wanted Pacquiao to agree to the initial $40 million and that they would then discuss the upside from pay per view.

Pacquiao is now heading for a fifth fight against Marquez next year, and the chances are high that Pacquiao won’t make $40 million for that fight either. The worst part about that is if Pacquiao loses to Marquez again, then a fight between Pacquiao and Mayweather would be very hard to do after that.

I think it’s still possible to make a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight now, but Pacquiao would likely have to accept a much lower purse split than the 50-50 that he wanted in their initial negotiations two years ago. I can’t see Mayweather letting Pacquiao have anything close to 50-50, and if Pacquiao loses to Marquez again, the numbers would be even lower for Pacquiao for a Mayweather fight.

Props: bigface
Jul 24, 2005
Ricky Burns Has Been Advised To Avoid Broner

By Jim Black

RICKY BURNS, the World Boxing Organization lightweight champion from Coatbridge, has been offered the unification bout he craves against the undefeated American Adrien Broner.

Richard Schaefer, chief executive of Broner's promoter, Golden Boy, confirmed at the weekend that he has been in discussions with counterpart Frank Warren, who looks after Burns' interests, with a proposal that the fight takes place in Atlantic City on February 16.

Broner, the World Boxing Council champion, is due to defend against Cuban Richar Abril on that date, but Schaefer stated that Burns is the preferred option.

But Burns has been advised by his manager, Alex Morrison to reject the offer to face Broner, given the high-risk nature of such a bout.

Warren also stressed that it will be up to Burns to make the call after confirming: "I have spoken with Richard Schaefer and the Broner fight is one of a number of possibilities. I will meet with Ricky next week to discuss the situation but he will be the one to decide."

Burns was not available to comment yesterday but Morrison claimed that the Scot should turn down Schaefer's initial offer. He said: "We are not going to take the fight with Broner unless there is a lot of money involved. Ricky would need to get a life-changing purse, at least half a million pounds, but there are a lot of issues to be resolved."

Morrison added: "My own feeling is that it is too soon. I want Ricky to have another fight first."

Burns should have been in action at the weekend, on the ExCel bill promoted by Warren in London, but his fight with Jose Ocampo was called off at just four days' notice when the Filipino challenger was mysteriously withdrawn last Tuesday.

No explanation was given for Ocampo being removed from the bill after he had been drafted in as a replacement for Norfolk's Liam Walsh, who was injured in a car crash.

Both Burns and Morrison were unhappy at the late call off and the fact that the champion was asked to box a meaningless 10-round international bout instead.

Warren later announced that Burns would return to the ring at the end of January, almost certainly in Glasgow with the 26th pencilled in as the likely date.

Two-weight world champion Burns has expressed a desire to have a unification bout in a bid to win a third title, but Broner, from Cincinnati, represents a huge challenge, especially with home advantage, given that he has so far proved unstoppable.

Broner has won 21 of his 25 fights by knock-out and the man nicknamed "The Problem" destroyed former WBC champion Antonio DeMarco, of Mexico inside eight rounds in Atlantic City last month to claim the crown.

He had previously succeeded Burns as WBO super-featherweight champion after the Scot relinquished the title to move up to lightweight and is regarded as one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world.

Jul 24, 2005
JMM Still Considering Lawsuit Against Freddie Roach

Four division world champion Juan Manuel Marquez is still standing firm on a potential lawsuit against trainer Freddie Roach for defamation. Marquez says Roach's public comments placed him under microscope and hurt his reputation. Roach said Marquez's muscular body was "natural." Roach went as far as to say that he would "kiss [Marquez's] ass" if it was proven that his body was natural. Marquez knocked out Roach's fighter, Manny Pacquiao, with a crushing right hand in the sixth round on December 8th in Las Vegas.

"This demand is on track, and also the ultimate consequences. Roach told me if I would would come out clean in the anti-doping tests, he would kiss my ass. THe Nevada Commission has announced that both Pacquiao and I were negative for doping. That means Roach has to kiss my ass, and then some. He openly said that I had doped, and now he has to pay the consequences,"

Jul 24, 2005
Amir Khan Vs Josesito Lopez In Play For April

By Ernest Gabion

Sources close to the situation have advised BoxingScene.com that Josesito Lopez (30-5, 18KOs) has emerged as the early frontrunner to face former champion Amir Khan in April.

After suffering back to back defeats, Khan (27-3, 19KOs) returned on Saturday night and dominated Carlos Molina for a TKO in ten. Lopez had a year filled with ups and downs. He moved up to the welterweight division and scored one of the year's biggest upsets with a ninth round stoppage of Victor Ortiz. He then moved up again, to junior middleweight, but bit off more than he could chew when WBC champion Saul Alvarez dropped him three times for a fifth round TKO.

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Pac has not lost three fights in a row, he's lost two. Further every respectable boxing journalist had him beating Bradley.

Additionally pacquiao has proven his worth, broner and Canelo have not.
A lot of experts also thought Manny lost two Marquez as well. Got Em!!

Like i said its your list im not arguing with it since p4p is largely subjective. Just throwing out my 2 cents.
Oh I know u arent arguing, I was just responding back as to why and how I do my top 10. Actually me and bigface's list isnt to far off? I actually considered Mares myself and think he is a good addition to the top 10. Would love to see him & Donaire square off. Got Em!!

Feb 3, 2006
Amir Khan Vs Josesito Lopez In Play For April

By Ernest Gabion

Sources close to the situation have advised BoxingScene.com that Josesito Lopez (30-5, 18KOs) has emerged as the early frontrunner to face former champion Amir Khan in April.

After suffering back to back defeats, Khan (27-3, 19KOs) returned on Saturday night and dominated Carlos Molina for a TKO in ten. Lopez had a year filled with ups and downs. He moved up to the welterweight division and scored one of the year's biggest upsets with a ninth round stoppage of Victor Ortiz. He then moved up again, to junior middleweight, but bit off more than he could chew when WBC champion Saul Alvarez dropped him three times for a fifth round TKO.

I'm hearing a rumor Khan vs Ortiz too.

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
I'm hearing a rumor Khan vs Ortiz too.
Ooh not sure if I would fight a big puncher like that just yet. Obviously Khan is a better fighter than Ortiz but I would probably fight another one or 2 decent opponents before I step up like that. Got Em!!

I see Khan getting knocked out by either of those fights....
Naw he would run through Lopez. Lopez isnt a big puncher and Khan would outbox him and would probably knock him out late. Got Em!!

Jul 24, 2005
FLOYD MAYWEATHER SR: "I THINK THAT MIGHT BE IT FOR PACQUIAO"
By Percy Crawford | December 18, 2012

"I think that might be it for Pacquiao. You know Marquez kind of always had his number, but he put a stamp on it last Saturday night," stated world-class trainer Floyd Mayweather Sr., who shared his thoughts on Manny Pacquiao's KO loss to ring rival Juan Manuel Marquez. According to Big Floyd, the outcome of last Saturday's bout is a clear indication of what would've happened if Pacquiao would stepped into the ring to face his son, undefeated pound-for-pound champion Floyd Mayweather.

"Floyd would have either knocked Pacquiao out or boxed his eyes out. Either way he would have stopped him or embarrassed him. And that's not saying anything bad about Pacquiao, but the writing been on the wall with him and guys that can counter him," Mayweather Sr. explained, noting that it's not just Marquez, but it's his counter-punching style that Pacquiao has always had a problem with. In fact, Mayweather Sr. believes that the knockout was so devastating that Pacquiao will never be the same fighter he once was.

"I guess it's time for Freddie Roach to look for him another fighter because I'll be honest with you man I can't name a fighter that have come back from being put out like that and looked the same," he continued. "Roberto Duran was close to the same after Tommy Hearns knocked him out, but even he had to keep jumping weight and all that shit and on top of that there is only one Roberto Duran. I just don't see Pacquiao being the same after that and I think it may be over for him."

Jul 24, 2005
A Letter from Emanuel Steward
Written by Thomas Hauser
Monday, 17 December 2012 22:31
PDF Print E-mail
Share/Save/Bookmark

102512-emanuel-steward-580

Dear Tom,

I never got to say goodbye the way I wanted to. So I thought I’d say hello from here and bring you up to date on what’s been happening lately.

I was in the hospital, not feeling good. Then I fell asleep. And the next thing I knew, I was in a car going through some pearly gates. I asked the driver where we were, and he said, “You’ll see.”

That night, there was a big welcome dinner for me. I couldn’t believe all the people who were there. James Corbett, Bob Fitzsimmons, Ezzard Charles, Marcel Cerdan.

John L. Sullivan was at the next table. He’s drinking again. What a character.

I was sitting next to Joe Louis. That was a real honor. I was so happy, I said to Joe, “This is fantastic. I feel like I’ve died and gone to heaven.”

Joe told me, “That’s exactly what you done.”

It’s amazing up here. The first fights I saw were Sam Langford against Gene Tunney and Benny Leonard against Joe Gans. There’s boxing three nights a week and everyone goes in tough. Rocky Marciano has lost a few times. Joe Louis stopped him in the eleventh round. That was payback for what Rocky did to Joe at Madison Square Garden in 1951. But Marciano has won his share of fights and a loss on a fighter’s record doesn’t matter that much.

There are no sanctioning bodies. We’ve got same-day weigh-ins. All the fights are on free TV. It’s boxing, so the only way a fighter can win is by hurting the other guy. But they fight more often here than down on earth because the recovery time is shorter.

Arturo Gatti fights mostly in the small clubs. Every time out, it’s standing room only. He had a war against Lenny Mancini about a year ago that people are still talking about. Teddy Brenner made that match.

Joe Frazier got here, and the first thing he wanted to do was fight Jack Johnson. He said that Papa Jack reminded him of Ali.

Eddie Futch and Yank Durham told him, “Joe; hold off a bit. You have to get used to the altitude.”

Joe said, ‘F--k the altitude. I want to fight.”

I’m training fighters with Luther Burgess and Bill Miller the way I did years ago. Ray Arcel has given me a lot of tips. What’s really exciting is that Archie Moore asked me to work his corner when he fights Sugar Ray Robinson at Yankee Stadium at the end of the month.

That’s the old Yankee Stadium. One of the things I love about this place is the venues. James Jeffries is scheduled to fight Jess Willard at the Polo Grounds later this year. George Carpentier is going up against Billy Conn at Boyle’s Thirty Acres.

I’ve also been doing some television commentary. Last week, I called the fight between Henry Armstrong and Salvador Sanchez. It was my first time working with Don Dunphy, and I was a little nervous. But before the fight, Don told me, “You don’t have to talk all the time. There are no network executives to please. Just sit back, enjoy the fight, and say what comes to mind when there’s something important to say.”

I learned so much over the years working with Jim, Larry, and Harold that I fit in fine with Don. The fight was amazing. I used to watch films of Henry Armstrong. And now I was watching him fight live.

Well, not exactly live. But he was right in front of me.

Armstrong didn’t throw combinations as much as he threw punches all the time. When the bell rang, he got in Sanchez’s face and banged away non-stop from every angle. It wasn’t just bang! He was like a machine gun. Bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang! I started explaining to the TV audience all the subtle things that Henry was doing. He was keeping his chin close to his chest, so Sanchez couldn’t hit him cleanly. He had a way of getting his elbows back against his body so, when he got inside, Sanchez couldn’t tie him up. And his arms never got out to where Sanchez could clinch with him.

When the fight was over, Dunphy patted me on the shoulder and said, “You did just fine.”

Jack Dempsey is fighting Rocky Marciano at the old Madison Square Garden in six weeks. I’m signed to work with Dunphy again on that one. Do you know how excited I am about that?

I was talking with A. J. Liebling the other day and told him I’d always dreamed of something like this. That night, Liebling gave me a poem by Robert Browning. There’s a line in it that reads, “A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?”

Anyway; tell everybody you talk with that I appreciate all the nice things they’ve said about me. I can’t believe Aretha Franklin sang at my memorial service.

Tell Wladimir that he’ll do just fine without me.

Tell Lennox that I smile whenever I think of him.

Tommy Hearns was my first big star. Make sure he knows how much that meant to me.

Hilmer Kenty, Milton McCrory, Michael Moorer, all the champions I had; if you run into them, let them how much joy working with them brought me.

And the same goes for all the fighters I worked with who never made it beyond six-round club fights but were champions at heart.

I was blessed with an extraordinary group of friends and lived my life the way I wanted to live it.

Warm wishes,

Emanuel

Jul 24, 2005
Felix Trinidad Still Open To Facing Oscar De La Hoya

By Jhonny Gonzalez

Three division world champion Felix "Tito" Trinidad has been retired since January 19, 2008 - and has no desire to return to the ring, but he would be willing to return to the gym if Oscar De La Hoya was willing to stage a rematch. They fought 13 years ago - on September 18, 1999 at the Mandalay Bay Hotel in Las Vegas - and Trinidad won a close twelve round majority decision. De La Hoya himself has been retired since December 2008.

A rematch has been negotiated numerous times over the years but the two boxers were never able to reach an agreement on the money. Trinidad doesn't see money as the issue but there could be an issue with the agreed upon weight. The Puerto Rican boxer would probably be able to get down to 168 and De La Hoya has never fought above 160 and last fought at 147, although he killed his to make the weight.

"I've always been willing to fight him. If he [Oscar] comes out and says, 'Tito, I want to fight you ... something serious ...[I might return]. The rematch between Roy Jones and [Bernard] Hopkins, it took almost 18 years [to put together]. We [fought] 13 years [ago]," said Trinidad to Noel Planas