Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Tim Bradley says Amir Khan's trainer change was the right move

By Kory Kitchen on Dec 13, 12:09p 14

Scott Heavey

Tim Bradley, who was once very close to fighting Amir Khan, has said he feels Khan's change of trainers was the right move for the former titlist to make. Can Virgil Hunter be an improvement over Freddie Roach?
Facebook
Twitter

A few months ago Amir Khan decided to dump trainer Freddie Roach and hire Virgil Hunter, head trainer of Andre Ward, as his new head man. The move produced a few shock waves in boxing as Roach is widely believed to be one of the top cornermen in the sport, though he has had an extremely rough 2012 with his stars Khan, Manny Pacquiao, and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. all losing.

One of the reasons it seemed perhaps to be counterproductive for Khan to fire Roach is the simple reason that one's chin cannot be trained. Khan was wiped out in less than a round against Breidis Prescott before he hired Roach. In other words, he was seeing stars well before training in Hollywood. Roach appeared to be getting Khan to use his jab more, and his aggressive nature a little less. He put on beautiful displays of boxing against Adriy Kotelnik, Paulie Malignaggi, Paul McCloskey, and Zab Judah. And even though he had to survive a right hand bomb in the tenth, he largely outclassed Marcos Maidana with superior boxing as well.

Then came the controversial loss to Lamont Peterson. Peterson fought the fight of his life, using immense pressure to maul Khan as best he could. Aided by Khan being deducted two points for pushing, Peterson took home a decision victory. Of course, this fight has has come under intense scrutiny due to the fact that Peterson was later found to have an elevated testosterone count in the lead up to their scheduled rematch.

With the Peterson rematch called off, Khan instead took on Danny Garcia, a man mostly known for defeating the great Erik Morales in a close fight. Khan started beautifully. And then his chin got touched by a counter left hook, rendering all of that beautiful work useless. Khan has not been in the ring since.

It's up for much debate if firing Roach will solve anything. Roach has a reputation of being an offensive-minded coach, as evidenced with his prize pupil, Pacquiao. But Roach appeared to be trying to get Khan to use his jab more. And with every fight, Garcia seems to be more like the real deal. The knockout loss simply may have come to a legitimate puncher that simply caught Khan square on the chin. Who knows? We will all found out soon enough.

Welterweight contender Tim Bradley, who was once in negotiations to fight Khan at junior welterweight, says that going to Virgil Hunter will be a good thing. Here is what he said on Boxing Scene's audio show, The Boxing Lab:

"I think (Khan's) a good fighter. He's really aggressive. I think the trainer change was good for him. Virgil Hunter has Andre Ward who I feel is the best in the world, pound for pound."

"I think Khan will go back to mixing it up once and a while and Virgil will slap him around a little bit and tell him that's not how we do it (laughing). He may not get the knockout but he will come out clean."

Bradley's analysis basically tells us what most people think. Khan needs to worry about getting the victory, not the knockout. He feels Hunter will be do his best to keep him disciplined, but it remains to be seen if one can get away from old habits.

As Bradley alluded to, Hunter's reputation at this point rides on the success of Ward, a man some feel is the best boxer alive today. If Hunter could get similar results out of Khan, another serious talent but with different tools, his phone will be ringing off the hook.

Let's just hope he doesn't slap Khan too hard or ...well.... you know.

Props: trips
Jul 24, 2005
Malignaggi vs Mosley targeted for April 27, but fight rings a lot of broken bells

By Scott Christ on Dec 13, 4:05a 64

Ethan Miller

Golden Boy Promotions is hoping to make a fight between WBA welterweight titlist Paulie Malignaggi and Shane Mosley for April 27. How low can it go?
Facebook
Twitter

Shane Mosley announced a retirement from boxing earlier this year after being dominated by Canelo Alvarez, but that will be short-lived, as Mosley has stayed in the gym and recently, his name has come back into the discussion for fights with Golden Boy's welterweight titleholders.

Now, it looks like Golden Boy has their plan, which would be for the 41-year-old Mosley to face WBA titlist Paulie Malignaggi on April 27 in Brooklyn at the Barclays Center.

Mosley (46-8-1, 39 KO) will be over four years removed from his last win by the time the fight comes up, and if it does get finalized, it would be farcical of the WBA to sanction it as a world title fight, but then, one would expect no less from any boxing sanctioning body.

Frankly, I find the whole thing disturbing. Mosley hasn't been remotely competitive in three of his last four fights, and hasn't been any fun to watch in any of them, apart from a second round right hand that shook Floyd Mayweather in 2010. He's always been a fighter pretty easy to root for -- apart from the performance-enhancing drugs, which nobody knew about it until it was way too late -- and personally, I've been a Shane Mosley fan for a long time.

That's part of why it's not desirable to see him fight on well past his expiration date. Malignaggi (32-4, 7 KO) is a relatively safe matchup physically in that he's not a big puncher, but he's still got skills and can dice up opponents, as he showed earlier this year when extra motivated against Vyacheslav Senchenko. He didn't look nearly as sharp in October against Pablo Cesar Cano, but the charismatic Brooklyn native has always sort of ran hot and cold in the ring.

What reeks most is that without fail, some will be talked into this being a decent idea. There is the outside chance that Mosley could pull the upset, given that he's naturally bigger and stronger than Malignaggi, and still has some power. But Mosley's problems in one-sided losses to Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao, and Canelo, plus a hideous draw in 2010 with Sergio Mora, have centered around his inability to react the way he used to, and also his trigger issues. You can watch Mosley and see his gears turning, but the physical isn't responding. He's gotten old, he's been through the wars, and though he keeps himself in phenomenal shape, he's simply lost what made him the fighter he used to be.

Even worse, Mosley can still take a punch, as his iron chin hasn't cracked yet. That means more and more punishment over long fights. Even if Malignaggi isn't a big puncher, he remains a professional boxer throwing punches in there -- he can do some damage, particularly against an opponent who has declined to this degree.

I can't hide anything here. As a boxing fan, I hate this fight. It feels exploitative and sort of gross. Mosley has done nothing in the last four years to warrant another fight like this one, and he's even clearly accepted the idea that the end has come. Fighters don't announce retirements at this stage of a career without knowing it's gone. He didn't announce a retirement going out on top. He'd just taken a 12-round beating, and was sure enough of the decision he made it public.

It's an awful idea. It's shameful lying to an already frequently insulted audience that puts up with a lot, and unfortunately, can also too often be conned into accepting these sort of fights. There are a lot of welterweights out there who have done more than Mosley in a time frame that is actually relevant to 2013, who would love to get a shot at Malignaggi. Instead, Golden Boy is doing someone a favor, it would seem, by granting him a fight he wants -- maybe needs -- but frankly does not deserve anymore, at least not in a sporting sense. But they'll be doing him no favors. Even if he were to pull a rabbit out of his hat and win a fight again, it's a risk that doesn't need to be taken.

Listen, I agree it's a fighter's time to decide when they hang up the gloves, so long as they're healthy. One hope is that the New York State Athletic Commission, which frequently claims to be tough on the issue of fighter safety, will take a thorough look at Shane Mosley before approving this fight, and seriously consider whether or not he is fit to be licensed to fight anymore. If their honest decision is yes, then that's an honest decision by professionals.

But don't hold your breath; after all, this is the commission that in October, allowed Erik Morales in the ring despite his failing two drug tests, and in late 2011, granted Antonio Margarito a license despite his having an eye obviously in no real condition to get back in a ring.

There's a lot I find wrong with this fight. I'm sure plenty of folks will be able to talk themselves into it being a good idea, which is exactly why it will (or at least might) happen. That's fine, and up to the individual. But I just can't see this one being something that shines a favorable light on any aspect of boxing as a sport.

Jul 24, 2005
Khan vs Molina: Josesito Lopez could be next for Khan with win on Saturday

By Scott Christ on Dec 12, 11:32p 11

Josh Hedges

Promoter Richard Schaefer says that if Amir Khan wins on Saturday against Carlos Molina, he'd like to see Khan face Josesito Lopez in April. Lopez likes the idea, too.
Facebook
Twitter

Amir Khan has to face Carlos Molina on Saturday night in Los Angeles, live on Showtime, but if he wins as he is expected to, promoter Richard Schaefer says he'd like to see Khan face Josesito Lopez in April 2013.

Khan (26-3, 18 KO) has lost two straight, and is hoping to bounce back against Molina (17-0-1, 7 KO), a decent lightweight prospect, but a guy many fear will just simply be undersized and overmatched against someone with Khan's talent. While Molina says that Khan picked the wrong comeback opponent, it's still expected by the majority that Khan will take home a "get-well" win on Saturday.

But if he does, Lopez says he loves the idea of facing Khan in April:

"I love the idea of possibly facing Amir khan but first things first. He has to get past Molina first. I'm not one to call out anyone but real boxing fans know that it would be a great fight and great fight for all SoCal fans to come watch and world to see. Fans would drool for that one haha"

Lopez (30-5, 18 KO) had an eventful year, upsetting Victor Ortiz in June by breaking his jaw at the Staples Center, and then getting mowed down in a physical mismatch against Canelo Alvarez in September.

On paper, it's definitely a fun fight, whether it's contested at 140 or 147. Obviously Khan has to get past Molina first -- a Khan loss to Molina could all but destroy Amir's career as a high-level fighter -- but if he does, I personally prefer that to a Khan rematch with Paulie Malignaggi, for instance. I think it's a good fight, and that Lopez would have a legitimate shot at the win.

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
@ CZAR Whats worse?

Saying Marquez and Pacquiao aren't worth your time yet you say you will catch a plane tomorrow to fight burns and also agree to take a fight with abril.

or

Saying Lara and Vanes aren't worth your time becuase you want to fight Mayweather or Cotto.
Well first off I think u took what he said wrong. He didnt even say they arent worth his time. He just said the truth. If he fought Marquez and beat him some folks would say Marquez is over the hill. He also said he would fuck him up though. Broner has been asking for Marquez every interview I have seen over the last 6 months. Here is one below where he mentions it. Also at the Guerrero/Berto he said Marquez can still make weight and that is a fight that can happen. As for Burns since that is the guy that is supposed to be next, he is just saying I will fight him today because he knows its a wrap. It aint like he will get the Marquez fight now but trust me he will fight him. U dont think so? U already know my take on Canelo. Big difference. I think Broner will fight whoever. Got Em!!

Last edited:
May 6, 2002
Merchant for Kellerman is a fair swap.

I am pretty upset that Showtime put that pretend deep voice bowl cut chubby faced never kicked a bag in his life Strikeforce dweeb on there. That and the showtime tweets. Really bothers me.

Jul 24, 2005
Maidana stops Martinez
Boxing article posted on December 13th, 2012 | Post Comment

By Dan Ambrose: #2 WBA welterweight contender Marcos Maidana (33-3, 30 KO’s) made short work of Angel Martinez (13-4-1, 9 KO’s) on Wednesday night, stopping him with a nice right hand to the body in the 3rd round to get a 3rd round knockout at the Estadio Luna Park in Buenos Aires, Distrito Federal, Argentina. In winning the fight, Maidana successfully defended his WBA International welterweight title.

Martinez was taking really heavy shots from Maidana in all three rounds of the fight, but he didn’t have the fire power to stand in there with the hard hitting fighter. Maidana loaded up everything he threw, and Martinez was at his mercy.

This was a stay busy fight for the 29-year-old Maidana, who could possibly be facing big junior middleweight prospect Keith Thurman (19-0, 18 KO’s) in April next year. Golden Boy Promotions is reportedly looking to make that fight.

Jul 24, 2005
Roach: Pacquiao doesn’t need a tune-up for his next fight
Boxing article posted on December 12th, 2012 | Post Comment

Pacquiao Marquez 4 Pacquiao vs. Marquez 4 manny pacquiao juan manuel marquez By Chris Williams: Trainer Freddie Roach doesn’t see any point in his fighter Manny Pacquiao taking an easy, safe tune-up fight to gauge where he’s at following his brutally bad 6th round knockout loss to Juan Manuel Marquez last Saturday night. That sounds like a nice risky approach by Roach and Pacquiao. Throw him back in with the guy that knocked him out and see what happens.

Pacquiao was knocked completely out in Ricky Hatton-eque fashion, and that’s a terrible way to be knocked out. When a fighter gets knocked out like Paquiao was, they’re often put in an easy fight in their next bout just to play it safe and give their head a rest from getting hit hard, but Roach doesn’t appear to want that for Pacquiao.

Roach said to Philstar.com “I don’t think that’s necessary at this stage. I don’t think he [Pacquiao] needs to fight a bum.”

I don’t know but I think Roach might be sorry if Pacquiao put back in with Marquez and knocked unconscious again for 1 to 2 minutes. Getting knocked completely out is one thing, but if it happens in a fighter’s very next fight then you got to figure that it’s time to call it a career.

The thing is if Roach and Pacquiao were to play it safe by taking on a scrub or two he’ll at least get a rest from the heavy shots he’d be eating if he were to fight Marquez immediately in a rematch, and he’d also get a good chance to see how he reacts to getting hit. Getting hit in sparring isn’t the same thing as getting hit in a real fight because of the large gloves and head gear that’s used.

Pacquiao might be fine in sparring but when he gets in the ring for the real thing, we could see him poleaxed again by Marquez or even against a scrub if Pacquiao’s ability to take a shot is degraded.

When you get knocked out the way Pacquiao was by Marquez it can sometimes cause that fighter to never be the same again in terms of their ability to take punishment. Wouldn’t it be smart for Pacquiao to at least step inside the ring with an easy option instead of jumping back in the ring with Marquez and ending up face down on the canvas again

Props: Tony

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
@ Ironlungs, Oh yea to add my main point about Broner/Canelo which I completely forgot about. Canelo only wants those big fights due to big pay day. Fighting Trout, Lara brings no loot and if he loses to either of them it would hurt him for big fights so to him it isnt worth it. Broner on the opposite side why would he not wanna fight Marquez/Pac? Those would be big pay days for him. Surely way more money than fighting Burns or Abril. As for not wanting a loss, I think this early is ok to take a loss if u have to. That goes for both Canelo or Broner. They are so young that its excusable and as long as they rebounded and built a streak off that loss then its ok. Look at Manny who had what 3 losses earlier in his career. Once he took off those losses didnt mean much. For Mayweather its tough now to take an "L" because of his age and what he has done. A loss now would be looked at as a bigger deal than if say he lost to Corrales in that big fight. He was so young that he couldve taken that loss and still came back and dominated and be the guy he is now. So early losses are ok and much harder to take than a loss in your 30's especially if u are undefeated and considered the best. Got Em!!

Jan 18, 2006
Broner and Canelo, the most overrated things going. Aint fought shit yet anointed to the top. I hope both these lames get beat in the near future. At least Gamboa has beat Salido you Broner fans

Feb 3, 2006
That's why i asked what's worse, I don't think Canelo is 100% right in what he did. My point was Broner supporters will find a way to justify this. No one on broners resume justifies him saying Pacquiao and Marquez(hall of famers) are not worth his time. Even if it was just talking shit or not. Also you can't just go assume he would take those fights if they presented themselves to him. If we start assuming Ill take his words in that interview and interpret them as another fighter that is looking to protect his 0 losses. No way broner takes pacquiao or marquez this early in his career and risks taking an L. Also I don't have no problem with Broner the guy along with Canelo are the future of boxing, I'm just pointing out that both will carefully manage/protect their careers. It's how boxing works now, so I find it funny that someone criticizes canelo and his camp for doing what's in his best interest, then broner and his camp proceed to do the same thing in a way but his actions are completely justified. So once again I ask Czar which is worse? You can answer to if you like.
Broner career will be far different then Canelo. Oscar loves Canelo and he's playing it safe with him to become a superstar. Oscar is seeings Floyd and a new cash cow in Broner but Broner is going to have to actually fight the tuff fights and look good winning them to get a bigger fanbase and to PPV level. Demarco was #1 and you people saying that Broner would duck him, Broner fights and TKO's him and guess what happen all of the sudden Demarco was not a big win. Trust me Broner will have to fight all of the hard fights before he gets on PPV. Canelo has fought no Top 154lber and he's already on PPV, because Oscar want a Mexican cash cow because the Mexican fanbase loves boxing and spend money. I think Canelo is a damn good young fighter but he still needs that big win against a top 5 154lber. But if I was him I would be trying to fight Mayweather too for that big money.

Feb 3, 2006
Broner and Canelo, the most overrated things going. Aint fought shit yet anointed to the top. I hope both these lames get beat in the near future. At least Gamboa has beat Salido you Broner fans
lol Salido is that man now for beating up overrated Juanma 2 times? Broner beat the #1 guy at 135lb Demarco, but that doesn't mean anything nowadays I guess.

Feb 3, 2006
Larry Merchant will call his final fight for HBO on Saturday

By Scott Christ on Dec 13, 5:26p 5

Al Bello

Larry Merchant has been with HBO for almost 35 years, and on Saturday, will call his final fight ringside for the network.
Facebook
Twitter

After 35 years, HBO boxing analyst Larry Merchant is ending his time with the company that has become the sport's biggest American outlet, and will call his final fight ringside for HBO, as Nonito Donaire faces Jorge Arce in Houston.

But Merchant says that he's not exactly looking to retire, and will seek other outlets and opportunities from here:

"I'm not the retiring kind," Merchant said. "I look forward to my next act. I've had a few discussions with people. It could be in writing. It could be in television. It could be in the new media space. I'm going to see what develops and see what I feel I should do."

Merchant, 81, has had a memorable career, which has drawn both great praise and plenty of ire from fans and his media peers. At times, Merchant could be the exact voice you wanted, someone willing to call a situation what it is, which can be rare in the boxing industry. Other times, though, Merchant would seem to be stirring the pot just for the hell of it.

Perhaps his most famous moment in the end was really a product of neither, though, as he and Floyd Mayweather got into a near-physical altercation in 2011, after Mayweather's controversial knockout of Victor Ortiz. As Merchant questioned the "sucker-punch" and Mayweather's reasoning for it, for once he didn't seem to be trying to do much more than ask the question. Mayweather turned aggressive, Merchant reacted, and we all got the classic response from an 80-year-old man to the world's best prizefighter, "I wish i was 50 years younger and I'd kick your ass!"

Maybe it wasn't professional. Maybe it wasn't "classy." But it was something.

Mayweather and Merchant later made nice after Floyd's win over Miguel Cotto this year, with a perfectly cordial post-fight interview.

Merchant's chair will be filled, as has been expected for years, by Max Kellerman. HBO is looking to get younger, and Kellerman is as good a choice as any to be that consistent No. 2 man alongside Jim Lampley.
Thank you boxing gods for getting rid of the biggest hater in boxing. Merchant has hated boxing for over 10 years now, other then mindless no defense bawlers.

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Dude stop it! Broner beat the best guy at 135. Gamboa looked like shit in his last fight. Do u actually think Gamboa can beat Broner? Got Em!!

Jan 18, 2006
lol Salido is that man now for beating up overrated Juanma 2 times? Broner beat the #1 guy at 135lb Demarco, but that doesn't mean anything nowadays I guess.
Yeah cuz Demarco is so great right, Broner lucky Salido aint in his weight class he would fuck him up and CZAR yes Gamboa would be beat the biggest overhyped fighter in boxing at the moment

Props: IronLungs420
Feb 8, 2006
What does broner have to do to get your respect t-rip? Kill someone in the ring lol he's brutally beating down top fighters in his division with no problems. He's earned his respect imo, the kid is special. Imo he would knock out both pacquao and marquez

Props: CZAR

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah cuz Demarco is so great right, Broner lucky Salido aint in his weight class he would fuck him up and CZAR yes Gamboa would be beat the biggest overhyped fighter in boxing at the moment
U act like Salido is sumthin special? Broner would mop dude and Gamboa with no prob! U got me over here laughing with that nonsense. Got Em!!

Jan 18, 2006
What does broner have to do to get your respect t-rip? Kill someone in the ring lol he's brutally beating down top fighters in his division with no problems. He's earned his respect imo, the kid is special. Imo he would knock out both pacquao and marquez
Its one of the weakest divisions, if hes so tough why doesn't he move up to 140? Ill tell u why hes scared his power wont have the same effect against fighters that are actually his size and bigger

Props: IronLungs420
Jan 18, 2006
So apparently the rumor is bigger then ever that Canelo vs. Mayweather May 4th is gonna happen, crazy i didnt think it would happen

Floyd Mayweather vs Canelo Alvarez is 'close' for May 4, says Alvarez

Canelo Alvarez said tonight on his official Facebook page that a May 4 fight with Floyd Mayweather is "close," meaning that we could be seeing what is now arguably boxing's biggest-money fight come to life on what has become the biggest fight date in the sport annually.

Mayweather (43-0, 26 KO) recently announced intentions to fight on May 4 and September 14 next year, but it was also no secret that Alvarez (41-0-1 30 KO) and Golden Boy wanted that date for the 22-year-old Mexican phenom, whose popularity has soared over the last couple of years.

A fight between the two -- which could unify the WBA (Mayweather) and WBC (Alvarez) titles at 154 pounds -- would be absolutely massive, and it is now the biggest fight Mayweather can make, more likely than not. It's easily the biggest fight Alvarez can make.

Robert Guerrero has also been pushed by Golden Boy as a potential Mayweather opponent, but with all due respect to Guerrero, that fight's just not in this fight's league right now, in terms of marketing and money to be made.

Nothing is official (far from it, in fact), but the talks appear to have intensified, and no matter which way it goes, Mayweather likes to take his time promoting a fight, so we could know within the next couple of weeks what he'll be doing on May 4.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2012/12/...e-may-4-next-fight-facebook-quote-boxing-news

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2006
Mayweather (43-0, 26 KO) recently announced intentions to fight on May 4 and September 14 next year, but it was also no secret that Alvarez (41-0-1 30 KO) and Golden Boy wanted that date for the 22-year-old Mexican phenom, whose popularity has soared over the last couple of years.

A fight between the two -- which could unify the WBA (Mayweather) and WBC (Alvarez) titles at 154 pounds -- would be absolutely massive, and it is now the biggest fight Mayweather can make, more likely than not. It's easily the biggest fight Alvarez can make.

Robert Guerrero has also been pushed by Golden Boy as a potential Mayweather opponent, but with all due respect to Guerrero, that fight's just not in this fight's league right now, in terms of marketing and money to be made.
LOL I called this fight would go down may 4th 2013 over a year ago, told people Mayweather can't possibly make this big of a fight with any other opponent unless that opponents name is pacquiao and we all knew that fight would never happen.