Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 26, 2002
WWW.YABITCHDONEME.COM
50 Cent in boxing even without Floyd Mayweather

LAS VEGAS -- While Floyd Mayweather Jr. sat in a jail cell, rapper 50 Cent set about signing fighters and putting together the promotional company he and Mayweather had long talked about.
It seemed like a perfect match for two buddies who liked nothing better than to have HBO cameras film them playing with stacks of $100 bills in the "24/7" series. But it fell apart when Mayweather got out of prison and decided that he would rather play with his money than invest it in a boxing company.
The requisite Twitter fight ensued, with all the nastiness that comes with any breakup. But that doesn't mean 50 Cent isn't interested in making a real splash in boxing by promoting his former BFF in a fight against, say, Manny Pacquiao.
"I could see myself with the money," the rapper said in an interview with The Associated Press. "And if you've got the money you can make the fight."
That fight could involve more money than any fight ever, with 50 Cent particularly interested in a reported $180 million offer that promoter Bob Arum has from Dubai. But Mayweather has been reluctant to even discuss the possibility of a Pacquiao fight, and 50 Cent thinks he knows why.
One loss, he said, and Mayweather would probably never fight again.
"It's all confidence when it comes to Floyd and his confidence wouldn't be there," 50 Cent said. "He kind of hand picks who he fights instead of taking the tough fights."
Boxing does make strange bedfellows, though there's nothing strange about 50 Cent's foray into the sport. He boxed as an amateur while growing up, and his friendship with Mayweather rekindled a love for the sport.
With Mayweather out, he used his own money to sign several fighters, the most notable being former Cuban Olympic gold medalist Yuriorkis Gamboa. He wants boxing to reclaim the young demographic that it has lost to the UFC, and has plans to mix entertainment with any fights that he promotes.
The rapper, whose real name is Curtis Jackson, was approved last month for a promoter's license in Nevada and is working with Arum's Top Rank on Saturday's fight card that is topped by the fourth fight between Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez.
"We're allies, we're working together," Arum said. "He's really a nice guy. Or at least he seems to be."
But 50 Cent has a learning curve ahead of him, as evidenced by a press conference he was part of Thursday to introduce the undercard that includes Gamboa. When 50 Cent finished a short speech he went to sit down, forgetting to introduce his fighter.
"I (messed) up," he said, laughing.
50 Cent reportedly spent more than $1 million getting the rights to promote Gamboa, a big puncher who he believes will become a big star. The rap mogul likely didn't have to go far for the money, because he made fortunes in both music and in a stake he had in Vitaminwater when it was bought in a 2007 deal by the Coca-Cola company for a reported $4.1 billion.
50 Cent said he wanted to go in the fight business with Mayweather - who made a reported $80 million in his last two fights - not only to make money but to make sure his friend had a continuing source of income after he's done boxing.
Mayweather is famous for a large entourage, sports bets that start at six figures, and throwing money around like he and 50 Cent did in the "24/7" shows.
"He's in the cycle that a lot of big fighters go through," 50 Cent said. "Get the money, spend the money and then fight again for some more money."
50 Cent would like to see his estranged friend do better.
"I still love him," he said. "He's like a brother to me."

Read more here: 50 Cent in boxing even without Floyd Mayweather - KansasCity.com

Jul 24, 2005
Broner Vs Burns Is Being Discussed For Feb 2013

By Mike Coppinger

BoxingScene.com has been advised by sources that WBC lightweight champion Adrien Broner (25-0, 21KOs) will likely fight Ricky Burns (35-2, 10KOs), the WBO's champion, in February on HBO, should Burns be available after his fight on Dec. 15 against Jose Ocampo (17-5-1, 12KOs) in London.

Broner moved up to 135 pounds in November with a dominant stoppage victory over Antonio DeMarco.

Jul 24, 2005
Roach: Marquez was punching harder than he had in previous fights with Pacquiao
Boxing article posted on December 9th, 2012 | Post Comment

Pacquiao Marquez 4 Pacquiao vs. Marquez 4 manny pacquiao juan manuel marquez By Chris Williams: One of the things that trainer Freddie Roach and his fighter Manny Pacquiao weren’t expecting last Saturday night was the extra power that Juan Manuel Marquez was punching with. Roach didn’t realize ahead of time that Marquez had not only developed more muscles through weight lifting, he had also developed more power on his shots.

That power led to Marquez knocked Pacquiao out cold in the 6th round in a win that extended Roach’s losing streak for his top fighters.

Roach said at the Pacquiao-Marquez 4 post fight press conference last night “I think he’s [Marquez] punching harder. His body is very well-developed…He’s very strong, very physical in there, A lot more than he was before. I think his punching was improved, yes.”
It’s too bad Pacquiao had to find out the hard way how much extra power that Marquez had because he should have known.

I could tell right off the bat that Marquez was punching with more power than he had in the first fight because you could see the strength in his shots when he was landing. He just looked a lot stronger than Pacquiao even when he wasn’t loading up with his shots. Marquez just had really heavy hands with everything he was landing.

When he hit Pacquiao with that looping right hand that knocked him down in the 3rd, it was pretty shocking the power in that shot because it landed with a loud impact. I’ve seen Marquez land those same shots against Pacquiao and other fighters in the past before he started weight lifting, and he didn’t have the same affects. He had power, but not that kind of power that he had last night.

Roach made it easy for Marquez because it was like bringing the fly to the spider with Roach’s crazy idea of having Pacquiao come straight at the powerful Marquez. It was a really bad idea for Roach to push his fighter into fighting that kind of fight.

Jul 24, 2005
Marquez Leaving Decision To Retire Up To His Children

By Rafael Soto

Former four division world champion Juan Manuel Marquez is riding high after his brutal sixth round knockout victory over Manny Pacquiao at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Marquez dedicated his first official victory over Pacquiao to his family and to Mexico. At 39-years-old, Marquez will have a big decision to make regarding his future in the sport. Marquez plans to discuss his options with his family. If his children ask him to retire, he will retire.

"First a congratulations and my appreciation to Pacquiao, who was always a great rival, very strong, very brave. I came well prepared for a difficult, hard fight, and to exploit the weaknesses of Pacquiao and I accomplished that. It is with great emotion that I give this joy to the Mexican public and my family. This is what I prepared for and here is the result...we won by knockout as I said and now it's time to celebrate and spend time with my family. If my children ask me to retire, I will retire. I've already achieved everything that I've what to," Marquez said.

Boxingscene.com

Jul 24, 2005
FLOYD MAYWEATHER ON PACQUIAO'S KO LOSS: "I FEEL BAD FOR HIM...HOPEFULLY HE CAN BOUNCE BACK"
By Ben Thompson | December 10, 2012

"Things happen. You live and you learn. The only thing he can do is rejuvenate himself and bounce back like a true champion," stated undefeated pound-for-pound champion Floyd Mayweather, who shared his thoughts on Manny Pacquiao's shocking 6th round knockout loss at the hands of Juan Manuel Marquez. Although he has yet to actually see the fight, Mayweather praised the performances of both fighters and offered some words of advice for the 8-division world champion.

"Marquez is a true champion, Manny Pacquiao is a true champion, both of them went out there and put on a good performance, and that's a good thing for the sport of boxing," Mayweather commented. "I wish Pacquiao nothing but the best. I wish that he can bounce back and he can recoup from this. In the sport of boxing, you have to really dedicate yourself to your craft. You have to really, really dedicate yourself to your craft. I think he's got so many different things on the outside that he worries about, you know. But it was a good thing that he was able to come into the sport, you know, piggyback off my name, and get a bunch of endorsement deals and make a good living. That's a great thing."

As far as the mega-fight with the Filipino icon is concerned, Mayweather suggests the manner in which Pacquiao was knocked out probably means he has a lot more to think about, and a long way to go, before that fight is ever a possibility again. "Pacquiao's focus should be trying to take a vacation, get his mind right, and get a few tune-up fights so he can bounce back," he explained. "I'm not here to talk bad about Pacquiao. I feel bad for him, honestly. I really feel bad for him. There's a difference in the ways you can get knocked out. See, when a guy gets knocked out and he can get up, they sit him on his stool, they rub his back, he go home and ice himself, you know, he go to the hospital and get checked out and he's okay, that's one thing. But when you gotta wake a guy up with smelling salt and he got a concussion and he gotta go to the hospital over night, that's crucial. I mean, that's close to the death."

Mayweather added, "Hopefully he's okay. My prayers go out to the Pacquiao family. I know he loves the sport of boxing, so hopefully he can bounce back."

Feb 3, 2006
He said that on Twitter yesterday that Gamboa wants Broner. And he wants to make the fight.

Gotta love 50cent for trying to put that together if he does...
Gamboa a guy that almost got KO'ed by a bum at 130lb Saturday, wants to fight the top guy Broner at 135lb. lol Gamboa needs to look impressive in the ring against a few good guys before Broner puts a beating on him. Gamboa should've fought Rios when he had the chance. Now he has the build himself back up that bullshit preformance against that dude did not impress me at all.

Sounds to me like 50 Cent is trying to make his $1.2 million back, because he saw how easy Gamboa can be hit and hurt. Gamboa is a KO waiting to happen.

Jul 24, 2005
Gamboa a guy that almost got KO'ed by a bum at 130lb Saturday, wants to fight the top guy Broner at 135lb. lol Gamboa needs to look impressive in the ring against a few good guys before Broner puts a beating on him. Gamboa should've fought Rios when he had the chance. Now he has the build himself back up that bullshit preformance against that dude did not impress me at all.

Sounds to me like 50 Cent is trying to make his $1.2 million back, because he saw how easy Gamboa can be hit and hurt. Gamboa is a KO waiting to happen.
50 cent is a hating ass dude I hope he puts gamboa in the ring with broner so he can get his ass whip I can't see anyway for gamboa beating broner

Jul 24, 2005
Boxing-John eyes bout with magical Mexican Marquez
ReutersReuters – 12 hours ago
AdChoices

SINGAPORE, Dec 10 (Reuters) - Unbeaten Indonesian featherweight Chris John already has one win over Juan Manuel Marquez and after seeing the Mexican knock out Manny Pacquiao on Saturday he is keen to move up in weight and face him again.

Marquez's stunning sixth round knockout of Pacquiao, considered one of the all-time greats of the sport, in Las Vegas on Saturday has made the Mexican welterweight (55-6-1 40 knockouts) a hot commodity.

The 39-year-old has not ruled out a fifth bout against Pacquiao, with undefeated American light-welterweight Brandon Rios also a possibility, but John believes he should be next in line for a shot at the Mexican, possibly at lightweight.

"I will fight Marquez at any weight because it is big money," the 33-year-old was quoted as saying in Monday's Straits Times. "I am a much better boxer than him and I have more speed and skill."

The duo met in Indonesia in 2006 with John claiming a unanimous points decision victory to defend his WBA featherweight title, though Marquez was unhappy at being docked points in the late rounds for low blows.

John's Australian promoter, Angelo Hyder, told the newspaper the fight could happen in a neutral venue.

"Marquez and his team have always disputed the decision, even though all three judges gave it to Chris, and so boxing in a neutral place like Singapore could make the fight happen," he was quoted as saying.

"We will approach them and try and get the fight because this is unfinished business."

While John has long fought at featherweight (126 pounds), Marquez has been boxing in the welterweight and light welterweight divisions over the last couple of years.

The Mexican last boxed as low as lightweight (136 pounds) in a 2010 world title victory over Australian Michael Katsidis.

Marquez, who contemplated retirement before beating Pacquiao, looked extremely comfortable at 147 on Saturday.

"He is a massive puncher and knocked Manny Pacquiao clean out with one punch and it is my job to make sure I do not get hit with the same punch," John said.

"I want the fight and will win again."

John (48-0-2 22 knockouts) was named the WBA's fighter of the decade earlier this year but has long been criticised for not fighting more in the United States, the traditional home base of the sport where the likes of Marquez and Pacquiao have regularly fought.

The Indonesian's last two bouts have taken place at the Marina Bay Sands resort in Singapore, part of a five-fight series before retirement, John said previously. (Reporting by Patrick Johnston; Editing by Peter Rutherford)

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Jul 24, 2005
Arum: Pacquiao says Marquez didn’t hit any harder than before
Boxing article posted on December 11th, 2012 | Post Comment

Pacquiao Marquez 4 Pacquiao vs. Marquez 4 manny pacquiao juan manuel marquez By Chris Williams: Promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank says that Manny Pacquiao (54-5-2, 38 KO’s) told him that Juan Manuel Marquez (55-6-1, 40 KO’s) was neither stronger nor a bigger puncher in their fight last Saturday night compared to how he punched in their three previous fights.

That’s kind of unusual thing to say given that Marquez knocked Pacquiao down twice in the fight and he’d never knocked Pacquiao down in their other fights. You have to wonder whether Pacquiao was thinking clearly after his 6th round knockout loss to Marquez, because the logical conclusion one would make after watching that fight is that Marquez IS punching harder than before.

It’s either that or Pacquiao’s punch resistance has deteriorated. Either way, it’s not a good deal for Pacquiao because he wants to fight Marquez a 5th time, saying Arum.

Speaking with Greg Leon at Boxingtalk.com, Arum said “He [Pacquiao] says that Marquez didn’t appear to be stronger to him, neither was his punching power any different than he recalls it was in the other three fights.”

So is Pacquiao just not willing to give Marquez the credit that’s due to him or is his memory of their three previous fights not as accurate as it should be? I think it’s painfully obvious that Marquez is punching harder than he was before. It would make sense because he’s put on a lot of muscle, and you can see that from his third fight last November compared to how he’s looking now. Marquez is quite a bit more muscular but not heavier. He’s taken off the fat that he had on him, which wasn’t much, and replaced it with muscle.

That muscle definitely had him throwing with more power because it was useful muscle that his strength trainer Angel Hernandez had helped develop with explosion type exercises that simulate punching. It wasn’t a case of Marquez just lifting weights and then becoming muscle-bound with muscles that couldn’t help him in a fight. Hernandez worked on strength resistance exercises that made Marquez a much bigger puncher than before.

This is Pacquiao should have been doing with his strength and conditioning coach Alex Ariza because he had the perfect coach to do the same thing that Hernandez did with Marquez but Pacquiao failed to utilize Ariza

Jul 24, 2005
Cotto-Pacquiao II Now Logical?
Boxing article posted on December 10th, 2012 | Post Comment

Cotto Pacquiao II Cotto vs. Pacquiao II miguel cotto manny pacquiao By Mark Uliano: In consecutive weekends we’ve seen two of the biggest names in recent boxing step into the ring and lose decisively. After a decision loss at the hands of WBA Jr. Middleweight champion Austin Trout, the big money fights that Miguel Cotto is used to won’t be available after two straight losses.

In a somewhat surprising knockout loss to Juan Manuel Marquez, Manny Pacquiao now has few options for his next fight. With the May 4th fight between Miguel Cotto and Canelo Alvarez, and the dream fight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather on the back burner, a Cotto-Pacquiao rematch would be the biggest moneymaker for both fighters at this point in their career.

Miguel Cotto (37-4, 30 KO) came into the Austin Trout fight the betting favorite two weekends ago. The hardcore boxing fans knew what Trout was about but still believed that Cotto’s ring experience and power would be too much for the younger fighter.
After 12 rounds it was plain to see that the once great Puerto Rican warrior might now be able to hang in they’re with the younger, hungrier fighters. With almost twelve years as professional, Cotto has the name to look for a few more big money fights before he decides to hang up his gloves. With a stacked 154-pound division, Cotto has to pick his next opponent wisely. He can go after IBF title-holder K9 Bundrage, but that fight is also risky due to Bundrage’s come forward style. Bundrage, (32-4, 19 KO) is the division’s old dog at 39 years of age, but it’s a fight I believe Cotto can win if he fights smart and chooses his exchanges wisely. The majority of other junior middleweights are too big and strong for the smaller Cotto.

The logical fight, with both fighters coming off back-to-back losses would be Miguel Cotto and Manny Pacquiao. Pacquiao (54-5-2, 38 KO) coming off a decision loss to Timothy Bradley, a fight almost every boxing follower believes he won, and the devastating knockout loss Juan Manuel Marquez, could rebound with another big money fight in 2013 in a rematch of his 2009 fight with Miguel Cotto. As a promotional free agent, Cotto now decides whom he fights. A co-promotion with former handler Top Rank would be easily made due to the following both fighters have. Cotto, coming off his two losses with better opposition would most likely be asked to come down to 150 pounds. At this point I don’t see him having much choice. After the Mayweather fight Cotto was able to make his own terms after his gallant showing against boxings pound-for-pound best fighter. After suffering a lopsided decision loss to Trout, the stakes have changed for the Puerto Rican fighter. A fight with the man who gave him his second loss couldn’t come at a better time for Cotto. The knockout that Pacquiao suffered at the hands of Juan Manuel Marquez will not only physically haunt him, but also mentally haunt him as well in his next fight. I can see Top Rank’s Bob Arum trying to milk whatever money he can from Manny before he decides to retire.

With a Canelo showdown most likely pushed back, the Caguas fighter has a few rounds left in him. A chance to

Jul 24, 2005
Hbo's 2013 Spring Plans

Most of the televised bouts involving Golden Boy fighters are on Showtime these days, but the promotion is still working with HBO, albeit to a lesser extent.

But Adrien Broner, who has been appearing regularly on HBO, is staying on the network. Broner, who won a lightweight world title by knocking out Antonio DeMarco in the eighth round on Nov. 17, is due back on HBO on Feb. 16, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com.

There is no opponent or venue yet, but Schaefer said he's been talking to British promoter Frank Warren about matching Broner with fellow titleholder Ricky Burns of Scotland. When Burns held a junior lightweight title, Broner was his mandatory challenger, but he moved up in weight and vacated -- some say to avoid Broner -- leaving Broner to win the vacated belt.

Burns is supposed to fight on Saturday in London, but his second opponent, Jose Ocampo, dropped out on Monday, leaving Warren to scramble for a replacement. Schaefer would like to see Burns just sit tight and wait until February.

"I am trying to do the Burns fight [with Broner,]" Schaefer said. "[I'll be] talking again [Tuesday] with Frank Warren. I am going to try and convince him to go directly to Broner for Feb. 16. But if Burns does not work out then maybe [interim titlist] Richard Abril" would be Broner's opponent.

Golden Boy and HBO are also far along in talks for a multi-fight contract for Broner to remain exclusively on the network. It would be for at least three fights, although, from what I am told, the Feb. 16 date is not predicated on the deal being finalized.

Also, when Broner fights Feb. 16, the undercard bout is likely to be a heavyweight rematch between Johnathon Banks and Seth Mitchell. On the Broner-DeMarco undercard last month, Banks pulled the upset by knocking out Mitchell in the second round. Mitchell had a rematch clause and has exercised his option to fight Banks again.

Schaefer and HBO are also in the talking stages about an April tripleheader. One of the bouts they are discussing is a featherweight match between former titlist Jhonny Gonzalez and 2011 ESPN.com prospect of the year Gary Russell Jr., who would be taking a huge step up in the level of his competition if the fight is finalized. Gonzalez lost his belt via eighth-round technical decision to Daniel Ponce De Leon on Sept. 15.

Another fight being talked about would pit welterweight slugger (and former junior welterweight titlist) Marcos Maidana against prospect Keith Thurman. They were supposed to fight on a Broner undercard in July, but Maidana and his team decided against it. Now the talks have been renewed. Thurman has won two fights in a row on HBO, but if he faces Maidana, he would be fighting the best opponent of his career.

That April card could also feature the return of former two-time welterweight titlist Andre Berto, who lost a unanimous decision in a terrific fight against Robert Guerrero on Nov. 24.

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Maidana/Thurman is very interesting. Well get to see what Thurman is really made of. Also yea Donaire may beat Arce but atleast Arce wont run or be scared to fight him like that Japanese mark! This is a much better fight and will be war until its over. Got Em!!